Jets Have Turned Down Trade Offers for Zach

There may be more in the works than those reporting on this actually know. Not to say theres some big revelation in the future but they may be trying to package a deal and thats fine as long as what they have been offered is still on the table. Not sure this needs to be rushed

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Edgy said:

There is zero upside in cutting Zach now unless you need a spot on the 90 Man roster.   It does nothing, except give away future flexibility.

Cutting him now means that they are full on dead money for him, no option to move some of that off the books in a trade (with or without us giving up a pick.) Who knows if someone gets injured on another team and they need a backup, and so agree to eat 3-4 million of the salary.  

You get just as much value by cutting him the data you need to sign an UDFA to the 90 than today, so why would you take the options off the table just to 'be done now'?

this

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

"This guy stinks at football."

"You know me.  I try my best not to bury people.  But you watch this guy and you're thinking, this guy shouldn't be allowed in the NFL."

"I'm sick of watching him."

In other words, he was throwing to a punt returner and getting criticized by a punter.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

There may be more in the works than those reporting on this actually know. Not to say theres some big revelation in the future but they may be trying to package a deal and thats fine as long as what they have been offered is still on the table. Not sure this needs to be rushed

Once it was released that the Jets were allowing him to find his preferred destination I knew this whole thing was Bs window dressing. Unless the Rams or a Niners came calling (or maybe Denver) the likeliest scenario was him beibg back in the friendly confines of Florham Park with his relationship with the owner. 

11 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think there is a lot of truth to that ... there are plenty of egos in the League who think they can turn someone around.  

Looking at recent first round QBs who didn't work out, the expectation is probably somewhere in between a back-up QB and a shot in the dark the reclamation project yields upside.  My point is that at a baseline minimum when you trade for someone, you'd like the guy to be a reliable back-up.  If there is upside, fantastic.

Trey Lance was sent to the Cowboys for a 4th rounder and will compete to be their back-up this year.  Did the Cowboys expect him to overtake Prescott?   Likely not but there was an opportunity to develop him and see if they could get a better return via a trade in the future.  

Kenny Pickett + a 4th rounder was sent to the Eagles for a 3rd rounder + two 7th rounders.  Do the Eagles plan on Pickett taking over for Jalen Hurts after he just signed a big contract.  No, but they likely believe he can be their #2 with some upside for the future.

Teams will have different views on how Zach might fit in but at a minimum some teams will need to see backup QB qualities in Zach to trade something for him..  In my opinion, that will cost a 7th rounder and meeting midway on salary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuFZf4JRWMU

Easy to forget how bad Zach Wilson has been.

Microcosm of the Wilson-Saleh era.

Looks like Saleh actually adds some mustard, throwing him into the turf at the end 🤣

Also have to factor in that he'll have to learn a new offense wherever he goes.  LaFleur had to keep simplifying the playbook in order to try to get ZW to play faster.

ZW is a reclamation project with 1y left on an inflated deal.

28 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Ok but what exactly is going to change between now and 9/1 to drastically alter the landscape and motivate another team to:

1) Give up assets

2) Take on ZW's salary

A 10 for 10 performance in pre-season week 1 for 5.0 YPA?

The Broncos just took on a freaking 85M dead cap penalty for Russ.

5.5M is a lesson learned.  What can be done?  Ask Goodell to force another team to step in and bail the Jets out?

They can try and hold out until the very last second, until ZW's contract expires on them.  Nothing is going to materially change.

Someone's backup QB injures themselves in OTAs or gets a medical emergency or something, and Zach as a number 3 looks better for them than what they had....  so they're willing to pay 3 M of the contract.

• Upvote 1

I know the jokes will come pouring in but I'd really be worried if ZW ends up on the Dolphins.  Giving him those weapinzz with his arm and in good weather is not a combination I'd want to see if he does end up hitting his stride.  That's why I hope the Jets trade him rather than cut him.  Send him to the NFC.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Edgy said:

To Who?

Keeping a player on the roster as a favor is a distraction to the rest of everyone else in the locker room. If it were about football he would have been gone after the Jacksonville game. That was already after Saleh was annoyed he took his sweet time rehabbing his knee during the 2022 preseason. When it’s not about merit across the board it’s a distraction. 

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Once it was released that the Jets were allowing him to find his preferred destination I knew this whole thing was Bs window dressing. Unless the Rams or a Niners came calling (or maybe Denver) the likeliest scenario was him beibg back in the friendly confines of Florham Park with his relationship with the owner. 

I will bet you a $1 that does not happen :)

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Wait out what? Just cut him. It’s a distraction. 

distraction to who?

posters on a message board who just want him gone now, because....reasons?  perhaps

players on the team during the off-season - doubt it

the rest of the QBs of the roster - i REALLY doubt it

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

distraction to who?

posters on a message board who just want him gone now, because....reasons?  perhaps

players on the team during the off-season - doubt it

the rest of the QBs of the roster - i REALLY doubt it

Coaches, players yes. He’s been a distraction since he got to the team and hasn’t performed. He has zero value. He’s likely out of football if not for the Jets. Yet we’re letting him seek his desired trade spot? The whole thing has been rotten from the start. He cannot play NFL football. 5 million is ashtray money to woody.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Keeping a player on the roster as a favor is a distraction to the rest of everyone else in the locker room. If it were about football he would have been gone after the Jacksonville game. That was already after Saleh was annoyed he took his sweet time rehabbing his knee during the 2022 preseason. When it’s not about merit across the board it’s a distraction. 

It's not as a favor if it's keeping your options open with zero downside.   Every player on that roster understands the team is going to do what's in its own best interests, and that's why you argue for guaranteed money.

32 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

No. Anyone who wants him views him as an upside flyer and wants to see him in training camp in their system with their coaches. Nobody would bring him in thinking "he's QB2."

Because you liked him pre-draft and think the Jets are morons. You think a 7th rounder with first round traits is worth it.

Yeah, but....

I agree with your point about teams want to take an "upside flyer" chance on Zach.  A team like KC, if Andy thought enough of him, would make perfect sense.  Or Cincy, LA Rams, or even Green Bay.  An offensive HC that might see something.

The reality for Zach is.  There are only two teams that would bring him in today (Denver and Minnesota) to compete.  Those teams are going to draft a QB, probably in round 1 next month.  

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he comes back but I would be extremely surprised if the Jets are turning down offers and this isn't ZW's agent spreading rumors to generate the appearance of demand. 

I still think he gets cut but I don't care if he's back. There's no extra money paid to keep him and he's QB3 put on a shelf never to be seen after the preseason. If the Jets end up down to any QB3 this season, the season is over regardless. 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I agree with Aaron 100% on this ... That kid needs a lot of help to recover from the sh*t he went through here.

LOL.  You act like he was verbally and physically assaulted here.  WTF is wrong with you.

This is like when the used car dealer says that he already has three offers on the table for the 1994 Volkswagen Rabbit, so if you want it you have to come strong with an offer right now. This will look funny when they end up cutting Zach in a few weeks. 

• Haha 1

The blame everything on woody crowd is strong again i see.

There fore we have to give him all the credit for any good moves the jets make and ignore the coach and gm card board cutouts all together.

Woody johsnon gets told what the jets are going to do an he smiles and nods, he has no major impact on what the team does, none.

If Douglas and saleh told woody last year rodgers was too big of a gamble and they were gong with carr he would have smiled and nodded and got behind it.

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Cry me a river. What exactly did he go through here? 

the kid just sucks at football and is mentally weak

Poor kid got over $30M and was forced to play football sometimes.  The horror.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Coaches, players yes. He’s been a distraction since he got to the team and hasn’t performed. He has zero value. He’s likely out of football if not for the Jets. Yet we’re letting him seek his desired trade spot? The whole thing has been rotten from the start. He cannot play NFL football. 5 million is ashtray money to woody.

it's not a distraction on march 25.  the players are at their off-season homes.  the coaches are working and the front office is working on draft prep and filing out the roster.  i'm not a particularly big fan of saleh, but i don't think it's much of a distraction if he needs to answer a question or two on zach at this time of the year.

there is absolutely no reason to just dump zach today, except to give some finality to fans/message board posters who can't stand the thought of him being on the jets roster for another second.

i definitely want him gone, but it makes zero sense to just dump him for nothing now.  and i am dubious of this report that the jets turned down some offer, unless the offer was (i) the jets give up a draft pick to get rid of his contract, or (ii) the jets pay all or most of his contract for some 7th round pick.

after the draft, the QB market will be different.  some teams will draft QBs.  others that maybe thought they would get a developmental QB may not have drafted one.  you just don't know who may or may not be in the market for a young QB.  

so again, there is no reason to get rid of him today.

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know the jokes will come pouring in but I'd really be worried if ZW ends up on the Dolphins.  Giving him those weapinzz with his arm and in good weather is not a combination I'd want to see if he does end up hitting his stride.  That's why I hope the Jets trade him rather than cut him.  Send him to the NFC.

Yah just like Darnold

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yeah, I'm worried too. 

• Haha 2