Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

32 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

No testing, just positional drills. Bowers refusing to run the 40 kind of makes me doubt that he would have put up good numbers

This is why I prefer Brian Thomas with our first, he put up great work out  #s as well

as on field production. His  on field production and testing potential vastly exceeded

Bowers and  Denzel Mims who he has been foolishly compared to.

Zack Kuntz  is faster, Jumps higher, has longer arms, stronger 375 lb power clean.

Has the frame to carry a lean 270lbs

Just now, BigRy56 said:

How did Bowers test? I think I saw he didn’t run the 40? 

Does anybody else find it odd that he hasn’t gone through full workouts? Unless I missed it. I think MHJ has been the same

Correct. Only did positional drills according to report.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Does anybody else find it odd that he hasn’t gone through full workouts? Unless I missed it. I think MHJ has been the same

When you are a “ generational “ talent why even burden yourself with menial tasks like that?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I can’t wait for this draft to be over.
I’m so sick of the same guys rehashing the same scenarios for 3 months now…

Pop Tv Please GIF by Schitt's Creek

The NFL does a brilliant job manipulating the calendar. They take a sport that only plays five months and spread breadcrumbs evenly throughout the other seven to constantly stay in the news cycle, much to the delight of its degenerate junkie fans. Season over? Oh here’s the combine. Combine over? Free agency. Free agency dwindling? Time for seven weeks of draft rumors. Then minicamp! Then training camp. And then it’s week one. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I caught “A football life” with Megatron last week. He didn’t run either and it caught my attention. That was 2007

teams also get gps tracking data now from the chip’s they wear in their uniforms. 

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I just posted on another thread that I'm wondering if his previous best 40 time of a 4.5 was done a year or so back when his playing weight was in the 230's and now that he's gained 10 or 15 lb's for the draft he might be afraid he can't match or better that time.

So yes, it's kind of odd he's avoiding running

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

I just posted on another thread that I'm wondering if his previous best 40 time of a 4.5 was done a year or so back when his playing weight was in the 230's and now that he's gained 10 or 15 lb's for the draft he might be afraid he can't match or better that time.

He’s not much for long speed, IMO. 

3 hours ago, hmhertz said:

This is why I prefer Brian Thomas with our first, he put up great work out  #s as well

as on field production. His  on field production and testing potential vastly exceeded

Bowers and  Denzel Mims who he has been foolishly compared to.

Zack Kuntz  is faster, Jumps higher, has longer arms, stronger 375 lb power clean.

Has the frame to carry a lean 270lbs

This is a kind of strange point to try to make.  You don't want to compare Thomas to Mims because why?  Thomas is an iffy prospect to me with one year of production and some character concerns, though I admit they are never very open about them.  High ceiling low floor IMO.  Then you want to use testing to compare Kuntz to Bowers as if that means Kuntz will be a better player?  Kuntz can do all those things better than the other guys on the roster, but he was on the practice squad while studs like Kenny Yeboah and CJ Uzomah got playing time.  I quoted this before I realized who it was.  Sorry.

39 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

I don't think it's odd or curious.  He didn't have to run, so he didn't.  Harrison didn't run either.  They have enough data on him already.  The only reason for him to run would be if he was going to dip into the 4.3s or something.  

16 minutes ago, Barton said:

He’s not much for long speed, IMO. 

Relative to TEs, he's clearly much faster than the lumbering Jace Amaro types.

But compared to WRs, he's probably middle of the pack or so, possibly better.

If I had to guess, his 10y split isn't great.  Looks like he needs a runway to build up his speed.  Not one of those instant accelerators.

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

The NFL does a brilliant job manipulating the calendar. They take a sport that only plays five months and spread breadcrumbs evenly throughout the other seven to constantly stay in the news cycle, much to the delight of its degenerate junkie fans. Season over? Oh here’s the combine. Combine over? Free agency. Free agency dwindling? Time for seven weeks of draft rumors. Then minicamp! Then training camp. And then it’s week one. 

Correct.

It's much ado about nothing.

And 2 weeks or so after the draft is the "Live NFL Schedule Release" in primetime 🤣

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Are teams allowed to workout these guys at their own facilities during "top-30" visits?

I doubt it affects MHJ at all, but if you're gonna pull the trigger in the top-10 on a TE, would think you'd want to have as much info as possible.

Bowers' refusal to run a 40 is somewhat concerning.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Larz said:

I caught “A football life” with Megatron last week. He didn’t run either and it caught my attention. That was 2007

teams also get gps tracking data now from the chip’s they wear in their uniforms. 

Nope.

Megatron ran a 4.38 in borrowed cleats at 4 pounds lighter than Bowers and a couple inches taller. He was a complete freak and is part of the if you’re a good athlete just test anyway argument.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/calvin-johnson/32004a4f-4808-8640-9018-78116bc333f2

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7701

7 minutes ago, derp said:

Nope.

Megatron ran a 4.38 in borrowed cleats at 4 pounds lighter than Bowers and a couple inches taller. He was a complete freak and is part of the if you’re a good athlete just test anyway argument.

Oh that’s right. He corrected this story tho

He wasn’t going to run so the other kid used his cleats and then he decided to run in his own cleats but because he had said he wasn’t going to run everyone assumed the first kid gave his cleats to megatron. 

what does bowers have to do with anything lol 

Everybody whines that the combine is the underwear olympics and it doesn't matter what these guys run in shorts and tees.  Now that teams can see actual gps data of how these kids are moving on the actual field with actual pads on I have to hear HE WON'T COMPETE!!

Makes perfect sense.

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

Oh that’s right. He corrected this story tho

He wasn’t going to run so the other kid used his cleats and then he decided to run in his own cleats but because he had said he wasn’t going to run everyone assumed the first kid gave his cleats to megatron. 

what does bowers have to do with anything lol 

I suppose that the general conversation is hand waving about Bowers not testing and him being a good athlete anyway but if he was remotely close to someone like Johnson who’s actually an elite athlete he’d presumably want that on record.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Everybody whines that the combine is the underwear olympics and it doesn't matter what these guys run in shorts and tees.  Now that teams can see actual gps data of how these kids are moving on the actual field with actual pads on I have to hear HE WON'T COMPETE!!

Makes perfect sense.

https://ras.football/2019/12/27/darrelle-revis-ras/#google_vignette

It matters

IMG_0001.webp

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, derp said:

I suppose that the general conversation is hand waving about Bowers not testing and him being a good athlete anyway but if he was remotely close to someone like Johnson who’s actually an elite athlete he’d presumably want that on record.

Oh ok. Pauline has Bowers at #3 and BR has him at #2.  He can’t get any higher by running. 

• Upvote 1

Brock Bowers has great hands, to the point where Joel Klatt called him the 2nd best hands in this draft. He can block, is fast enough and has been compared to Keller and Kittles. If you want a WR that would be a 3rd option. Fine. If you want an OT because you want assurance that AR will stay upright because someone got hurt. Fine. But trying to say Bowers isn’t good, that’s just silly. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

Oh ok. Pauline has Bowers at #3 and BR has him at #2.  He can’t get any higher by running. 

*If Pauline and Bleacher Report were drafting then he couldn’t get any higher by running.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Are teams allowed to workout these guys at their own facilities during "top-30" visits?

I doubt it affects MHJ at all, but if you're gonna pull the trigger in the top-10 on a TE, would think you'd want to have as much info as possible.

Bowers' refusal to run a 40 is somewhat concerning.

Bowers had a leg injury (hamstring?) which he wasn’t fully recovered from at the combine. He’s either still not 100% or has not had enough time to get into “combine level” shape. He has nothing to gain by running. Nothing.

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, PS17 said:

Absolutely.  I love how they've spaced out FA and then the draft.  It keeps the NFL in the news for several months after the season ends.  

5 hours ago, slats said:

Players test to improve their draft status, and players avoid testing to avoid having it lower their draft status. 

Exactly. It's why I don't mind Harrison Jr not testing. He is already the consensus top positional player on the board, he really has nothing to potentially gain from doing testing. It's not like he's going to go higher if he does well. Bowers, on the other hand, is a question mark. He's been mocked anywhere from five all the way down to the low teens, and testing well could literally make him millions of dollars. Testing poorly could cost him millions of dollars. I don't know how to look at him opting not to test except as a lack of confidence that he would test well

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Yeah he did run at the combine.  He was not going to run but then he actually decided to compete unlike the nancies now a days.

"Since he wasn't intending to do so, he didn't bring shoes to run in and had to borrow shoes from another combine participant, although it's never been stated who that was. Calvin Johnson ended up running the 40 in 4.35, making him one of two players at 6'5 or taller to run the dash in under 4.40 seconds since 2005."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

*If Pauline and Bleacher Report were drafting then he couldn’t get any higher by running.

It’s not going to hurt him or Harrison because of what I already posted, the teams have gps tracking data on these guys. They know how fast these guys are.

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s not going to hurt him or Harrison because of what I already posted, the teams have gps tracking data on these guys. They know how fast these guys are.

Does that gps tracking give teams a prospects vert, 10 yard split, 3 cone or bp reps?

And if teams "already know" then why dodge the workout?

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nobody said anything about the elite WR prospect with tremendous technical ability.

If it doesn’t impact anything then why does anyone work out? And why wouldn’t he test?

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Does that gps tracking give teams a prospects vert, 10 yard split, 3 cone or bp reps?

And if teams "already know" then why dodge the workout?

No, it only tracks them playing football, total mystery if that translates to football 

Im not arguing in circles, it’s been pointed out multiple times