Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I see a bunch of mocks having QBs go 1-3 or 1-4.  I don't know where Bowers will land, but I am willing to bet at least one of the teams that drafts a QB before him ends up regretting it. 

This is setting up like 2021. 

58 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I’m not sure, but if you are insinuating that he peaked physically as a High Schooler, I can tell you with much certainty that he only scratched the surface then. 

I'm saying he's 40 lbs heavier now, has 20% more bodyweight. Does he have the same speed/vert with that extra weight?

That's to the larger point about the combine and athletic testing - a player gets measured, weighed and then within the next 3-4 days has to perform all the tests. 

Now we're left with what he did in high school 40 lbs ago and projecting from that. 

The whole thing is weird -

Brock Bowers is generational and can't miss...

...but undersized, 'has to go to the right offense that will use him right' and refuses any athletic testing after having three opportunities. 

8 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m not sure what to make of Brock Bowers anymore. Will someone smart tell me what to think please?

I just gave my son the rundown on the prospects, Rome, Olu, Latham and Bowers and couldn’t figure out what the jets should do lol.  

9 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm saying he's 40 lbs heavier now, has 20% more bodyweight. Does he have the same speed/vert with that extra weight?

That's to the larger point about the combine and athletic testing - a player gets measured, weighed and then within the next 3-4 days has to perform all the tests. 

Now we're left with what he did in high school 40 lbs ago and projecting from that. 

...but undersized, 'has to go to the right offense that will use him right' and refuses any athletic testing after having three opportunities. 

Bowers is 280 now ? 

There was some speculation that Georgia tight end Brock Bowers would be less than 240 pounds and a tad under 6-3 at the NFL Combine. The former Bulldogs star put the concern about his size to rest on Friday. He measured in at 6-3, 243 pounds.Mar 1, 2024

You don’t have the information 

the jets do. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

Bowers is 280 now ? 

There was some speculation that Georgia tight end Brock Bowers would be less than 240 pounds and a tad under 6-3 at the NFL Combine. The former Bulldogs star put the concern about his size to rest on Friday. He measured in at 6-3, 243 pounds.Mar 1, 2024

the jets do. 

200 lbs when arrived @ Georgia in response to @Claymation referencing his 40 time/vert from High School.

Larz, the best point I've seen in this whole debate is the 22mph you cited. That certainly gives me pause and thank you for posting it. 

What's wild about it, though, is that is insanely fast - faster than Breece Hall and Mohstert/Tyreek level speed.

Is that what we're saying here? Brock Bowers is faster than Breece Hall?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Larz said:

Bowers is 280 now ? 

the jets do. 

His playing weight @ Georgia was less than 240, he put on the weight to quash any of the doubters, but he didn't run...  perception being the weight gain would most likely negatively affect his 40 time... unk if that would have been the result, but him choosing not to run allows others to question it. 

53 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

200 lbs when arrived @ Georgia in response to @Claymation referencing his 40 time/vert from High School.

Larz, the best point I've seen in this whole debate is the 22mph you cited. That certainly gives me pause and thank you for posting it. 

What's wild about it, though, is that is insanely fast - faster than Breece Hall and Mohstert/Tyreek level speed.

Is that what we're saying here? Brock Bowers is faster than Breece Hall?

the speed I posted for Halls was his third fastest time that year. I think he has hit 21+

I’m still in the OT camp but putting Wilson Hall and Bowers on the field is tempting. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

He was clocked at 21.9 MPH this past year. Players in the NFL that were clocked faster this year were: DK Metcalf; Chase Brown; Tyreek Hill; Devon Archane; and Kavontae Turpin. Does that come across as a guy who lost a step as he matured in his body?

I don't know if he is generational or can't miss but he is 6'3" and 243 lbs., that is not undersized. For the record Ruckert is 6'5" and 250 lbs. Conklin is 6'3" and 254 lbs.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

Fauntanu

Thinking we’re taking Fautanu in Round 1 and will make a move up for a WR.

Not a huge Travis fan. But I’m open to ideas at QB in the mid rounds. I care more about the kids ability to sit and learn than skill.

• Upvote 1

Watched some more Bowers highlights recently, and he is definitely fast as hell for a tight end. Good burst right after the catch too, which is key. I’m ok with him at 10 but there is some risk. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

He was clocked at 21.9 MPH this past year. Players in the NFL that were clocked faster this year were: DK Metcalf; Chase Brown; Tyreek Hill; Devon Archane; and Kavontae Turpin. Does that come across as a guy who lost a step as he matured in his body?

I don't know if he is generational or can't miss but he is 6'3" and 243 lbs., that is not undersized. For the record Ruckert is 6'5" and 250 lbs. Conklin is 6'3" and 254 lbs.

He’s bigger than our linebacking corps and our shiny second year defensive end

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

Watched some more Bowers highlights recently, and he is definitely fast as hell for a tight end. Good burst right after the catch too, which is key. I’m ok with him at 10 but there is some risk. 

You need brass balls to sell real estate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:59 PM, Green Ghost said:

If he ends up a bust, Bowers at #10 wouldn’t even make the top 10 list of ridiculously bad draft picks we’ve made in the last 7-8 years.

yes he would. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Claymation said:

actually i think it was in 2021, his freshman year.  and while the speed is what it is, he wasn't touched on the play.

interestingly, the fastest player clocked that week was blake corum.  i'm a michigan alum and love corum, but i would never consider him a speedster.  so not sure how much stock i put into hitting hitting 21.9 mph, 3 years ago.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

actually i think it was in 2021, his freshman year.  and while the speed is what it is, he wasn't touched on the play.

interestingly, the fastest player clocked that week was blake corum.  i'm a michigan alum and love corum, but i would never consider him a speedster.  so not sure how much stock i put into hitting hitting 21.9 mph, 3 years ago.

My Mistake, However...

"There's a small group of guys ... that when you put that GPS system on them, the band of their top and their bottom miles per hour are really, really small," Monken said. "They only know one speed, and that's working their rear end off every day."

While some players' miles-per-hour readings might vary between 13 mph and 21 mph during a practice, Bowers' rarely moves.

"Right away, you can tell he only knew one speed," Monken said.

During another practice, the Bulldogs were running laps around the playing field at Sanford Stadium as part of their conditioning drills. Monken noticed that Bowers was way out in front of the other tight ends.

"I wouldn't have done it as a young player," Monken said. "I would run with the pack, I would have run with the rest of the guys. Not Brock Bowers. Tight ends were running, he'd be 10 yards in front of every other guy. He was working at his own speed to be the best he could be, and that is a rare quality to put yourself out there like he did."

That work ethic, combined with exceptional speed and a 6-foot-3 and 230-pound frame, has allowed Bowers to become not only one of the best freshmen in the FBS, but perhaps the most explosive tight end in the country.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32958232/college-football-playoff-2021-georgia-brock-bowers-knows-only-one-speed-fast

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

Yeah, and Corum ran a 4.53. If this is the group I don’t know how much it tells us.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

As a die hard FSU fan and alumni, I would LOVE this move.

As I had said with Jermaine, Travis is incredibly talented and his growth was incredible at FSU. Really good kid, good head on his shoulders, great ability to adapt and grow. Think this would be a homerun pick in the 3rd/4th round to sit for a few years.

There is a maturity about this kid which I think translates to being a great leader. One of my cousins is FSU alumni and a huge fan (had classes with Deion Sanders actually although he had a pink Cadillac and never showed to class) and the FSU fans LOVE Travis...like adore him.

I've watched a lot of FSU games and he definitely has a calm and cool pocket presence. Arm isn't super strong but I don't think I categorize it as weak.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This hit me the other day. The generational tag and how critical everyone seems to think it is that he goes to an offensive coordinator who will use him effectively do not jive. I think it’s a great point.

To me a generational guy should create for himself to the point that he's at least pretty close to being situation and scheme proof. And that’s the kind of player who then forces the defense to move in response to things which opens things up for other offensive players and really makes an impact.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

There is a maturity about this kid which I think translates to being a great leader. One of my cousins is FSU alumni and a huge fan (had classes with Deion Sanders actually although he had a pink Cadillac and never showed to class) and the FSU fans LOVE Travis...like adore him.

I've watched a lot of FSU games and he definitely has a calm and cool pocket presence. Arm isn't super strong but I don't think I categorize it as weak.

Reminds me of why I wanted Hurts a few years ago. I am not impressed by the arm and think his ceiling is kind of backup who you can win games with. But if a quarterback has elite character I think he’s someone you want in the room and someone you probably don’t want to bet against.

52 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Yes, as @Larz posted in this thread, BB hit crazy high MPH.

And tbh? I don't know what to make of that. Of course, my knee-jerk reaction is "no f***ing way this dude is Breece Hall fast."

But I'm aware that's not rational on my part.

It shouldn't be right, when presented with new information, just to stay with your previous position. So I'm struggling with that right now.

The height/weight thing - I mean, he's 15th percentile in height, in the 30-35th percentile for weight - and it's rumored he played lighter than that.

This is why it's so frustrating that BB didn't test during this process - he had three opportunities to answer these questions and chose not to.

Since BB isn't prototypical in size and isn't a 'traditional TE', I'd prefer more information, not less. 

The whole thing reminds me a bit of Reggie Bush - it's not apples-to-apples because Reggie Bush did test @ his pro day - but the whole vibe of this thing: Bush was maybe the best college HB I've ever seen. He was a solid pro that didn't live up to his hype.

If I could have Reggie Bush or D'Brickashaw Ferguson, I'm taking D'Brickashaw every day. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, and Corum ran a 4.53. If this is the group I don’t know how much it tells us.

I was at one point the fastest guy in my high school, and my fastest 40 time was 4.6  In truth, my normal time was 4.65 or 4.7

I ran winter track, and against other schools, I ran the 60 yard dash, and ran 6.6 or 6.7 seconds.  I again was the fastest of my team, but I never beat the fastest guy on the other team, in any competition.

It certainly helped that I was 6'2" tall, and weighed 175 pounds in high school.

Running 4.53 is respectable, but at the NFL level, should not be beating out NFL quality linebackers, and certainly not NFL quality D backs and safeties, who should all be running under 4.5 seconds.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, derp said:

This hit me the other day. The generational tag and how critical everyone seems to think it is that he goes to an offensive coordinator who will use him effectively do not jive. I think it’s a great point.

To me a generational guy should create for himself to the point that he's at least pretty close to being situation and scheme proof. And that’s the kind of player who then forces the defense to move in response to things which opens things up for other offensive players and really makes an impact.

I don't know what to make of Brock Bowers.

But obviously I agree with what you're saying here -

Marvin Harrison Jr not testing athletically? I've never heard anyone claim he's undersized or scheme-specific. 

Even, let's say, on our own roster - dudes that aren't generational, but certainly great - Breece, Garrett, Sauce & Quinnen. None of them require specific-use cases. 

But, Derp, you are one of the most knowledgeable people on this board. Right now, given the information available, would you draft him @ 10?

57 minutes ago, derp said:

Reminds me of why I wanted Hurts a few years ago. I am not impressed by the arm and think his ceiling is kind of backup who you can win games with. But if a quarterback has elite character I think he’s someone you want in the room and someone you probably don’t want to bet against.

I completely agree, leadership + accuracy/ball placement + anticipation are the key indicators to a successful QB. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but honestly 2 years sitting and learning and a couple of NFL offseason training regimes can build up that arm a bit for some extra mustard. As is....he isn't scrawny at all but we can add some more muscle for some extra juice.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I completely agree, leadership + accuracy/ball placement + anticipation are the key indicators to a successful QB. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but honestly 2 years sitting and learning and a couple of NFL offseason training regimes can build up that arm a bit for some extra mustard. As is....he isn't scrawny at all but we can add some more muscle for some extra juice.

IIRC Brady didn’t have an amazing arm when he came into (and subsequently, all over ) the league

• Upvote 2