Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

Just my gut feelings...

• If Harrison makes it to #5, the Jets will be aggressive in trying to trade up for him.
  • Targets at #10 are Alt, Nabers, Odunze.
  • Bowers to the Jets is not in play unless they trade down to the bottom half of the first round.
  • Trading down a few spots and targeting Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, and Thomas is a real possibility.
  • If trade down compensation is not in line with expectations, Douglas will have no problem staying at #10 and securing his guy even if it is viewed as a bit of a reach.
  • I'm feeling very confident that the Jets walk out of the first round with either WR or OL.  The biggest needs and available talent line up perfectly.
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Fashanu looks incredible, and this was from what, a year ago?

Pass rushers / EDGE defenders are either “put on a treadmill” where their feet keep moving but they aren’t gaining any ground or they just flat out give up.

Either way, once he engages the defender it’s like a brick wall.  Any momentum they had just stops.

His feet and lateral agility look great too.  For a big guy to be able to take quick steps like and stay balanced and anchored is remarkable.

It he’s not the closest thing to Tyron Smith in this draft, I’m not sure who else it could be.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

After watching the first half of that, I came away thinking he is very mechanical and not a killer (in the run game). Just what came to my mind. I think the Brick comparisons are valid.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Giants not looking at QB, want to win this year, definite trade down candidate. 

—Broncos aggressively trying to get up for McCarthy. 

Broncos or Vikings trading up to #5 for a QB works well for me. 

They should be fired IMO if they take Fuaga over Fashanu at #10.

18 years ago they took the best pass protecting LT in the draft and that worked out pretty well.

2 TEs went 1st round back then, including one #6 overall 🫨 and 2 safeties in the top 10 😊

A RB and bad QB also went top-5.

This isn’t rocket science.

Take the elite pass protecting LT.
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

After watching the first half of that, I came away thinking he is very mechanical and not a killer. Just what came to my mind. I think the Brick comparisons are valid.

I don’t need my LT to be a “killer”.

I need him to be elite in pass protection.

Yes, exactly if you can draft the next Brick you turn in the card and start dancing in the streets.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

18 years ago they took the best pass protecting LT in the draft and that worked out pretty well.

2 TEs went 1st round back then, including one #6 overall 🫨 and 2 safeties in the top 10 😊

Like Becton?

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Trading down a few spots and targeting Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, and Thomas is a real possibility.

If they are able to trade down AND get Fashanu, that would be amazing, the ideal scenario IMO.

Then move up for Ladd McConkey and get Aaron his next Jordy Nelson.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Daniel Jeremiah continues to believe Harbaugh will want to go OL or DL. Or ideally trade down from that pick. 

If so - we should be calling.

Hi, Jim? Yeah, what do you think about having John Franklin-Meyers and your choice of every OT other than Alt in the draft? We good? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Like Becton?

What are you talking about 😳

Becton had “77 true pass sets” in college according to PFF

He was a complete projection in pass pro based on freak factor and Joe Douglas’ fantasies.

He was drafted because Joe Douglas is obsessed with O-linemen who finish plays in the run game on top of defenders.

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is a real interesting concept b/c it once again confronts the ‘win now’ vs best player or best pick mentality.  Who helps the team the most in 2024 and 2025 and is jd even around next year?  It’s tough when the gm needs an instant impact player yet all starting spots appear to be taken. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Hi, Jim? Yeah, what do you think about having John Franklin-Meyers and your choice of every OT other than Alt in the draft? We good? 

Realistically, I hope Odunze or somehow Nabers is in striking distance because, if given the opportunity, Douglas will do something stupid like take Fuaga over Fashanu.

He’s obsessed with OL guys who look athletic on the move and who are able to put a few pancake blocks on tape.

The biggest “tone setter” for your team isn’t 100K pancake blocks in the run game but losing your franchise QB for the season (because you didn’t have a LT).

That one play “set the tone” for all of 2023.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is a real interesting concept b/c it once again confronts the ‘win now’ vs best player or best pick mentality.  Who helps the team the most in 2024 and 2025 and is jd even around next year?  It’s tough when the gm needs an instant impact player yet all starting spots appear to be taken. 

I think it’s both if you take Fashanu because unfortunately you know Tyron Smith won’t be playing 17 games.

He hasn’t done that in awhile and he isn’t getting any younger.

He basically never practiced last season in Dallas just so they could keep him fresh he still missed like 3 or 4 games.

Fashanu checks all the boxes.

— Elite level production and tape right away and throughout his college career even as a freshman

— Natural LT, most premium non-QB position on your team 

— no off-field issues 

The “versatility” angle is overblown too.

I don’t care if my LT can’t play G or C.

I just need him to play LT very very well.

Better to draft a bona fide LT than a “guard who can also play tackle”.

• Upvote 2

Fashanu didn't have a 30 visit with the jets unfortunately.   Notnaure ifnauper meaningful but jets tend to visit with their top targets.   I am.notnsure why he has dropped behind Fuaga and Fautanu in (at least media) rankings.   He was consensus #1 or 2 tackle coming into draft season.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Fashanu didn't have a 30 visit with the jets unfortunately.   Notnaure ifnauper meaningful but jets tend to visit with their top targets.   I am.notnsure why he has dropped behind Fuaga and Fautanu in (at least media) rankings.   He was consensus #1 or 2 tackle coming into draft season.

Did we have a Top 30 visit with WMD IV last year? I can't remember off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

• If trade down compensation is not in line with expectations, Douglas will have no problem staying at #10 and securing his guy even if it is viewed as a bit of a reach

JD has done this historically, so in general I agree. However, it does spur a theory I recently thought of and would love folks thoughts on...

The Zach Wilson trade doesn't really seem to make sense for the Broncos (or any team) on a number of levels. Perhaps it is really just a way for the Broncos to open diplomatic relations with the Jets and "butter us up" for a pick 10/12 swap? Maybe the Broncos are hoping to get that done for dirt cheap, like a 4th rounder (or 2025 3rd to replace the Reddick pick)? It could make a lot of sense for them to want to move to 10, particularly if the Vikings don't move up (though I think they will).

Of course, a major barrier there would be if the Chargers make the widely speculated trade back to pick 11. Their needs (OT/WR/TE) are extremely similar to ours, and the selling point on this trade to JD would be that he could "get his guy" at 12 just as easily as 10. But maybe the Broncos are preparing just in case?

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if the Wilson deal already included a gentleman's agreement on another trade, contingent on certain draft scenario(s)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Trust me on this. They don’t have to bring him in, our ex director of scouting personally went up to PSU 6 times last year to scout/ meet with him. They know him like the back of their hand. I am no @Mogglez but a good friend of mine who I see frequently has know the ex director of scouting for years. This is rock solid info. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

“Sure, Joe.  You picking up half of JFM’s salary?”

While I still think trading up for Nabers or MJH (unrealistic dream) is the 1A ideal outcome....trading down a few spots will most likely still have at least one of

BTJ, Fashanu, Fautanu, Bowers on the board still. One of these guys with an added 100 player pick would be ideal out 1B.

If the 2nd and 3rd weren't so deep at WR and OT I'd be much more inclined to say trade up or stay put. But there's so much talent to be had in the top 100.

3 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Sir Tony Pauline...

Screenshot 2024-04-23 115847.png

Fuaga over fautanu does not surprise me.  

Assuming the top 3 wrs are gone, is this a 2 horse race between bowers and fuaga, or will there be a 3rd to enter the race i.e. fashanu or BTJ?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Fuaga over fautanu does not surprise me.  

Assuming the top 3 wrs are gone, is this a 2 horse race between bowers and fuaga, or will there be a 3rd to enter the race i.e. fashanu or BTJ?

Give me the choice of BTJ or Fashanu at 10 versus Bowers or Fuaga. 

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Saw this mock - kinda lines up with these comments. I would be pissed if Nabers and Rome are there at 8 and we do nothing.

These guys are the best. All tgeir content. Been listening this morning. 

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Give me the choice of BTJ or Fashanu at 10 versus Bowers or Fuaga. 

I agree if those are the two options.  In the end i don’t see bowers as the choice, he would be woody’s choice though.  

I think the decision tree will be, based on who is there at 10, are we going pass catcher or OT?  If it’s OT then they can just take fuaga who seems like a very safe pick.  Not sure if jd takes fashanu b/c of those hands.  That’s all he needs.  

I still think BTJ is in play at 10.  Jd seems to like to swing for the fences and has his own rankings and BTJ seems like the type of athlete with the upside he craves. 

31 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Did we have a Top 30 visit with WMD IV last year? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Can't find final listing...What I found only JBC had a top 30 visit of those the Jets picked...WR Gibson had a top 30

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/nfl/news/nfl-mock-draft-2024-bears-caleb-williams-giants-jj-mccarthy/3b2ebdf5ebdbc97b3b9a6745

Fashanu seems to be falling in a lot of mocks. Starting to wonder if there is a medical issue...and not just small hands lol

10. New York Jets

• Will pick: TE Brock Bowers, Georgia
  • Could pick: OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State
  • Dark horse: WR Brian Thomas Jr., LSU

The Jets are going all-in this year around Aaron Rodgers. That included adding offensive linemen Tyron Smith, John Simpson, and Morgan Moses in free agency along with receiver Mike Williams, so they can roll with the best player available here.

Bowers would be a big upgrade at tight end for the Jets. He's a matchup nightmare who has drawn comparisons to George Kittle, and he would be a great long-term partner for Garrett Wilson.

The Jets could also select Fuaga as a safety net behind the oft-injured Smith and Alijah Vera-Tucker. The Oregon State product figures to be one of the safest players in the 2024 NFL Draft given his size, versatility, and rock-solid tape.

If the Jets want insurance for the injury-prone Williams, Thomas could be the surprise option for them.

19 minutes ago, jetswin said:

serious question, how does a rookie tackle help the win now Jets?

answer, he doesn't.  Win now Jets need producers, coffee and 10th pick are for producers only.

Well you see, there's this argument going around that are OL currently is VERY injury prone. Thus having a talented rookie OL being able to step in, over say, Max Mitchell or Xavier Newman, would be much more beneficial during the course of the season for our Veteran old QB.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Fwiw, PFT has this: 

10. New York Jets: Oregon State tackle Taliese Fuaga.

11. New England Patriots (projected trade with Vikings): Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy.

12. Buffalo Bills (projected trade with Broncos): Washington receiver Rome Odunze.

13. Las Vegas Raiders: Florida State edge rusher Jared Verse.

14. New Orleans Saints: Georgia tight end Brock Bowers.

I’ll be very disappointed if they go Fuaga over Odunze, but not incredibly surprised. 

.lucious lyon wtf GIF

• Haha 3