Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#LSU DT Maason Smith, one of the more intriguing prospects based on his upside, has visited with the #Saints, #Bengals, #Steelers, #Jets, #Giants, #Vikings, #Bills, #Panthers, #Packers, #AZCardinals, #Ravens, and #Seahawks.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#LSU DT Maason Smith, one of the more intriguing prospects based on his upside, has visited with the #Saints, #Bengals, #Steelers, #Jets, #Giants, #Vikings, #Bills, #Panthers, #Packers, #AZCardinals, #Ravens, and #Seahawks.

Anyone know what happened to DT Perrion Winfrey?  I know he was injured against the Falcons.  Jets seemed to be high on him...Last I read he's a FA. Nobody has signed him.

I like this scenario:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/22/bill-barnwells-hypothetical-trade-sees-jets-deal-with-raiders-gain-second-round-pick/

Barnwell suggested a trade with the Las Vegas Raiders, who sit at No. 13, as there could still be a scenario in which Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy is still on the board when the Jets are on the clock at No. 10. The advantage there for the Jets is that the three teams right behind them on the board (No. 11 Vikings, No. 12 Broncos, No. 13 Raiders) all need long-term quarterback solutions. Of the three, only the Raiders have a second-round pick to send to the Jets. The Vikings do have No. 23 in the first round, but they likely would not send that pick just to move up one spot from 11 to 10.

So in this case, the Jets drop down three spots and get a second-round pick (No. 44). The Jets also acquire second-year quarterback Aidan O’Connell in the deal. The Jets are going to move on from Zach Wilson at some point and O’Connell would get a chance to develop as the No. 3 quarterback behind Aaron Rodgers and Tyrod Taylor and eventually become the backup. O’Connell has some flashy moments as a rookie last season in what was a rough situation.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

That's a big overpay for LV.

According to one of the charts, the move from 13 (1150) to 10 (1300) might be worth their 3rd (pick # 77) which is worth 205, especially if they are throwing in a player too. I get their is a "QB tax" but would be shocked if we can get their 2nd (worth 460) in that deal. Who knows.

Is there really a "QB tax" for the 5th QB in a draft?  The overpay is for the right to choose your QB.  I don't think the bidding war will be over Penix or Nix, but who knows?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Inside scoop at 2:27

We're hosed 🤣

Douglas has bought in to Bowers hook, line, and sinker.

Historically, he's not the sort to put up smokescreens in press conferences, and he looks as giddy as he did at the ZW pro day.

In the Becton year pre-draft press conference, he defended Becton over the combine drug issue and character concerns.

Only hope is if Harbaugh or the Giants GM go Bowers at #5 or #6

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is there really a "QB tax" for the 5th QB in a draft?  The overpay is for the right to choose your QB.  I don't think the bidding war will be over Penix or Nix, but who knows?

True.

And there's some recent precedent. NE got a 4th last year to move down from 14 to 17 so a 3rd sounds about right for 10 to 13

Albert breer :

Breer mentioned that LSU wide receivers Brian Thomas and Malik Nabers were both flagged for having issues with their left shoulders. Breer states, “The risk here is considered relatively minimal—in both cases, there’s a chance the player may have to have the shoulder surgically repaired after the 2024 season.”

Another player mentioned was Washington offensive lineman Troy Fautanu, who is said to have a “knee issue.”

Breer wrote that the versatile offensive lineman’s knee “shouldn’t be a problem in the short term, but could wind up impacting his longevity in the pros (though his high football character is a factor in making teams feel like he’ll do all he can to take care of it, and give himself the best chance).”

medo GIF

Just now, Larz said:

Albert breer :

Breer mentioned that LSU wide receivers Brian Thomas and Malik Nabers were both flagged for having issues with their left shoulders. Breer states, “The risk here is considered relatively minimal—in both cases, there’s a chance the player may have to have the shoulder surgically repaired after the 2024 season.”

Another player mentioned was Washington offensive lineman Troy Fautanu, who is said to have a “knee issue.”

Breer wrote that the versatile offensive lineman’s knee “shouldn’t be a problem in the short term, but could wind up impacting his longevity in the pros (though his high football character is a factor in making teams feel like he’ll do all he can to take care of it, and give himself the best chance).”

medo GIF

Fautanu will be 24 during this season and already has knee issues. 

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I like this scenario:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/22/bill-barnwells-hypothetical-trade-sees-jets-deal-with-raiders-gain-second-round-pick/

Barnwell suggested a trade with the Las Vegas Raiders, who sit at No. 13, as there could still be a scenario in which Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy is still on the board when the Jets are on the clock at No. 10. The advantage there for the Jets is that the three teams right behind them on the board (No. 11 Vikings, No. 12 Broncos, No. 13 Raiders) all need long-term quarterback solutions. Of the three, only the Raiders have a second-round pick to send to the Jets. The Vikings do have No. 23 in the first round, but they likely would not send that pick just to move up one spot from 11 to 10.

So in this case, the Jets drop down three spots and get a second-round pick (No. 44). The Jets also acquire second-year quarterback Aidan O’Connell in the deal. The Jets are going to move on from Zach Wilson at some point and O’Connell would get a chance to develop as the No. 3 quarterback behind Aaron Rodgers and Tyrod Taylor and eventually become the backup. O’Connell has some flashy moments as a rookie last season in what was a rough situation.

Sounds like a dream scenario for Gang Green.

I think if Vegas jumps up to #10 it will be for Penix, not Mac.

Broncos need a QB in the worst way.

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maccagnan paid like 200% QB tax when he gave up not one, not two, but three 2nd rounders to move up 3 spots from #6 to #3 not even knowing for sure which QBs would still be on the board there 🤣 🤡

Bro couldn't stop patting himself on the back and taking post-draft victory laps after running up the card for Sammy D 😂

Dianna Russini ⁦‪@DMRussini‬⁩

The New England Patriots are listening and taking calls from teams looking to move into 3.

While GM Eliot Wolf is running point, I’m told Patriots’ President Jonathan Kraft is heavily involved in the decision making.

4/22/24, 1:36 PM

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its hysterical that you guys take this nonsense seriously.  There is a less than 0% change that the Jets are trading up for Marvin Harrison.

I don't see it either.  This team has a lot of holes that are patched up with 1 year deals.  To trade next year's #1 to move up for a WR would leave us in a precarious position.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Dianna Russini ⁦‪@DMRussini‬⁩

The New England Patriots are listening and taking calls from teams looking to move into 3.

While GM Eliot Wolf is running point, I’m told Patriots’ President Jonathan Kraft is heavily involved in the decision making.

4/22/24, 1:36 PM

This should end well.🤣

Heard a rumor Colts heavily interested in Bowers.

If the Jets could trade back for #15 plus the Colts 3rd (#82) and 4th (#117) round picks, I'd def be interested.

Would position the Jets with two 3rd rounders and three 4th rounders.

Could still take a premium OL at #15.

#10 = 1300 pts

#15 = 1050

#82 = 180

#117 = 60

1050 + 180 + 60 = 1290 pts

It works out (1300 pts vs1290) almost exactly on the trade value chart.

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If the Jets could trade back for #15 plus the Colts 3rd (#82) and 4th (#117) round picks, I'd def be interested.

#10 = 1300 pts

#15 = 1050

#82 = 180

#117 = 60

I’d want their second and give them back our higher fourth to make it work. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

#10 = 1300 pts

#15 = 1050

#82 = 180

#117 = 60

I had Colts in our mock. He almost dropped into my lap, but Dolphins traded up in front to get him. Colts only have 7 picks in this draft and have too many holes to fill, especially in secondary, to give up 2 extra picks for a TE. Would  shock the crap out of me. Very un Ballard like. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting board: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-draft-big-board-marvin-harrison-jr-stays-at-no-1-taliese-fuaga-into-top-10-of-final-rankings

Just showing the top 11:

2024 NFL Draft Big Board

RANK PREV PLAYER POS SCHOOL
1 1 Marvin Harrison Jr. WR Ohio State
2 2 Caleb Williams QB USC
3 3 Joe Alt OT Notre Dame
4 4 Malik Nabers WR LSU
5 5 Brock Bowers TE Georgia
6 6 Drake Maye QB North Carolina
7 7 Olu Fashanu OT Penn State
8 (↑) 9 Troy Fautanu OL Washington
9 (↑) 10 Rome Odunze WR Washington
10 (↑) 12 Taliese Fuaga OT Oregon State
11 11 Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

Interesting board: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-draft-big-board-marvin-harrison-jr-stays-at-no-1-taliese-fuaga-into-top-10-of-final-rankings

Just showing the top 11:

2024 NFL Draft Big Board

RANK PREV PLAYER POS SCHOOL
1 1 Marvin Harrison Jr. WR Ohio State
2 2 Caleb Williams QB USC
3 3 Joe Alt OT Notre Dame
4 4 Malik Nabers WR LSU
5 5 Brock Bowers TE Georgia
6 6 Drake Maye QB North Carolina
7 7 Olu Fashanu OT Penn State
8 (↑) 9 Troy Fautanu OL Washington
9 (↑) 10 Rome Odunze WR Washington
10 (↑) 12 Taliese Fuaga OT Oregon State
11 11 Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU

Get the feeling we’re staying at 10 and going fuaga or BTJ

• Upvote 1

Aaron Wilson ⁦‪@AaronWilson_NFL‬⁩

Pitt ⁦‪@pittfootballfam‬⁩ cornerback-returner MJ Devonshire (4.45 speed, 5-11, 186, 32 7/8 arms 38.5 vertical, four interceptions, one touchdown last season) visited and/or worked out privately for #Steelers #Jets #49ers per sources. First Pitt player to score on punt return and…

4/22/24, 2:47 PM

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Choice between those 2 give me BTJ

I’ve reached the point it would not surprise me if he’s the pick.  They have volume guys in breece, garrett and even Conklin, that’s before any contributions from the other guys.  What they’re missing is a home run hitter and they could trot BTJ out there and now you can’t cheat with those safeties in the run game or on shorter stuff.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I’ve reached the point it would not surprise me if he’s the pick.  They have volume guys in breece, garrett and even Conklin, that’s before any contributions from the other guys.  What they’re missing is a home run hitter and they could trot BTJ out there and now you can’t cheat with those safeties in the run game or on shorter stuff.  

He’s not on the same level as MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze…yet but he’s young and could be.

If we trade back even just a couple of spots this is the guy I want us to draft.

• Upvote 1