Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

On 4/19/2024 at 2:36 PM, T0mShane said:

Dane Brugler actually talked about McCarthy’s eventual rise (iirc) back in January. He said that he was going to interview amazingly well and coaches were going to love him. Sort of how we ended up with Zach—the scouts are meh on a prospect all the way through the process, but the coaches talk to him, determine he’s a gritty gamer whom they’d want their daughters to date, then the QB coach watches the film and says he can fix any prospect, and—boom—player rockets up the charts. Heard an interesting theory about McCarthy—that because he had so few pass attempts, coaches have more leash to project what he could be, so he becomes a product of their imagination. Contrast that with Maye, who hung with a depleted UNC offense, struggled a bit, and is now getting killed as the process goes on. The COVID year QBs benefitted from this too, especially Zach, their seasons got disrupted, tons of players sat out, so QBs were all drafted based on smaller samples playing against compromised programs. 

LOL

Similar to the deal with the ZW die-hards, McCarthy’s W-L record is often cited in his defense:

”Kid is a winner” 😂

Leading the team to victory with nice form on those handoffs while throwing 12 passes a game 🤣

Heard JTO from QB school make a good point about how McCarthy only has 1 pitch:  a fastball.

Sounds like Sancho.  Bro seemed incapable of throwing any kind of touch pass.

Rumor is now that Rodgers will have some say in this pick.  Well duh. No kidding. God our coverage is terrible.

Obviously he is going to have some say. If he say go wr they should go if they go get me some protection, get him protection.

The idea that that joe will.give hom hom open blantiokets to choose whatever he wants or that bowrs is amongst the choices is silly.

He will be told you like x Wr or X lineman...the top of the list of those positions at that time.

And even then they think it is more of they will make sure Aaron is ok on the pick and happy. Do not want what happened in green bay to Happen here

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Heard JTO from QB school make a good point about how McCarthy only has 1 pitch:  a fastball.

I heard that too and my thought was, how is that not disqualifying? Especially given he doesn’t have Herbert or even Zach-like arm strength? Layering throws over underneath coverage is how the intermediate passing game happens and some team is gonna be like, nah, we just won’t do that?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Antonio Brown reporting Herbert to Minnesota 

Is there any guarantee that JJ makes it to #5 though?  Why can't a team trade up to Arizona's #4 pick and take JJ?  Unless maybe this is planned for draft day if JJ makes it to San Diego's pick?

The fact that we have AR8 makes it completely unrealistic but, if the Harbaugh were crazy enough to consider trading Herbert and we didn't have AR8, I'd want the Jets to offer what it took to get him.  Getting a young FQB is the most difficult thing to do and it's extremely rare that they're available (assuming this trade has any truth to it).

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Rumor is now that Rodgers will have some say in this pick.  Well duh. No kidding. God our coverage is terrible.

Obviously he is going to have some say. If he say go wr they should go if they go get me some protection, get him protection.

The idea that that joe will.give hom hom open blantiokets to choose whatever he wants or that bowrs is amongst the choices is silly.

He will be told you like x Wr or X lineman...the top of the list of those positions at that time.

And even then they think it is more of they will make sure Aaron is ok on the pick and happy. Do not want what happened in green bay to Happen here

hom hom open blantiokets

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s a $108 million dollar dead cap hit for the Chargers if Herbert isn’t on the team. Antonio Brown is 100% living in his car at this point. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Lol. 

“As we follow the path of our lord and savior…..what does the tape tell you on Drake Maye?”

Idk, O’Connell sounds like a coach who thinks he can fix a guy when scouts think it’s a bad pick. 

LOL

Seems like his NFL experience, including with the Jets, is part of that belief, realization that passed him by... It also seems like has the Smart's, and dang, he ran a 4.6 40 at the combine, too bad he didn't have IT!  Something he's now responsible in identifying and developing and taking that leap of faith in by picking... 

Will be interesting to see what the Vikes do on Thursday!

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a $108 million dollar dead cap hit for the Chargers if Herbert isn’t on the team. Antonio Brown is 100% living in his car at this point. 

Yeah, but I love the name of his site. Never seen more truth in advertising. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I heard that too and my thought was, how is that not disqualifying? Especially given he doesn’t have Herbert or even Zach-like arm strength? Layering throws over underneath coverage is how the intermediate passing game happens and some team is gonna be like, nah, we just won’t do that?

Isn’t mccarthy a very accurate passer?  I’ve seen him compared to both tannehill and alex smith.  Not amazing, but ok.  Perhaps not worth the 5th pick in a draft.  As far as fastballs, ZW is the perfect guy who ‘only has one pitch’.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

LOL

Seems like his NFL experience, including with the Jets, is part of that belief, realization that passed him by... It also seems like has the Smart's, and dang, he ran a 4.6 40 at the combine, too bad he didn't have IT!  Something he's now responsible in identifying and developing and taking that leap of faith in by picking... 

Will be interesting to see what the Vikes do on Thursday!

Didn’t he say one key thing in evaluating qbs is to figure out what is fixable (he specifically mentioned footwork) and what isn’t’?

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Didn’t he say one key thing in evaluating qbs is to figure out what is fixable (he specifically mentioned footwork) and what isn’t’?

Yeah, you're right... my bad, over thought that one

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

JJ reminds me of Blake Bortles, he just played on a much better team. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Isn’t mccarthy a very accurate passer?  I’ve seen him compared to both tannehill and alex smith.  Not amazing, but ok.  Perhaps not worth the 5th pick in a draft.  As far as fastballs, ZW is the perfect guy who ‘only has one pitch’.

And he can’t get it over the plate.

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I'd fire my GM on the spot if he makes that trade for the rights to JJ McCarthy.

The idea that trade is for Herbert is equally laughable.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Rodgers has a less than 0% say in who Joe D is going to draft.  

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers has a less than 0% say in who Joe D is going to draft.  

Then you’d be wrong if you don’t think a Div. 2 former college OL would not seek the advice of a high football IQ HOF QB concerning offensive skill players.

Rodgers could not give insight on how to navigate the board in real-time, but I’d be surprised if he didn’t have a handful of players that he’d like to see JD target if the board falls the right way.

My boss knows little about facilities management….. but when budget/project management discussions happen every year, he comes to me for information. JD is no Ozzie & he’d be a fool not to get his input

36 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Then you’d be wrong if you don’t think a Div. 2 former college OL would not seek the advice of a high football IQ HOF QB concerning offensive skill players.

Rodgers could not give insight on how to navigate the board in real-time, but I’d be surprised if he didn’t have a handful of players that he’d like to see JD target if the board falls the right way.

My boss knows little about facilities management….. but when budget/project management discussions happen every year, he comes to me for information. JD is no Ozzie & he’d be a fool not to get his input

The Jets have scouts spending every second of their day evaluating these guys.  Aaron Rodgers doesnt know anything about these players.  
Joe is relying on his scouts that do this for a living.  Come on guys……

i

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe is relying on his scouts that do this for a living

They haven’t had the best record apart from 1 spectacular draft where Sauce & GW fell in their lap. I do give credit on the JJ & BH move up.

1 out of 4 drafts, meh.

Rodgers will determine the future of these guys… so get him to review the shoppinglist

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

I mean, sticking him at LG over Simpson, and having him slide to LT when the inevitable happens isn’t the WORST thing in the world. 

It’s speculation but I think he could play anywhere on the line if needed.