Let’s Review Some of the Remaining WR Talent

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Who would you trade up to get? I’d go get Walker, McConkey, Mitchell, Jets like Franklin & Polk, & Burton.

Pearsall taken at 31 by 49ers ( see you Aiyuk!!)

image.thumb.png.50562ef1e39376c3e3113c27778d8373.png

I would like to draft two of these guys.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Love him. Seems like a Swiss army/Deebo like WR. Would be thrilled if we got him

It’s funny because the way he was used is sort of like how Georgia used Bowers.

A ton of screens and quick easy hitters with the goal of getting him into space.

A beast after the catch, and the WKU offense basically ran through him.

Jets could get the discount version of Bowers in rd 3 for cheap 🤣🤣

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Wit said:

Can we just take a moment and
Appreciate the bills trading the next tyreek hill to the chiefs? How dumb can a franchise be??

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

With that guys speed and the new kickoff rules. if they use him on kick returns. he'll be down to the 50 yard line every time.  Flat out speed is going to be giving offenses short fields all the time with the new kickoffs.   Expect a lot more scoring from teams with massively fast return guys. 

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If I’m the 9ers I don’t trade anyone

I’m trying to win a SB this year 

11 personnel with Pearsall as your #3 looks amazing, at least on paper 

Samuel, Aiyuk, McCaffrey, Kittle.  How many footballs are they allowed to play with?

Seems like adding a 5th weapon isn't the best use of resources for them although they don't seem to have many holes on that roster.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Samuel, Aiyuk, McCaffrey, Kittle.  How many footballs are they allowed to play with?

Seems like adding a 5th weapon isn't the best use of resources for them although they don't seem to have many holes on that roster.

A WR3 will typically be on the field 60% to 70+ % of the time

In Gase’s offense it was more like 90% 😂

It’s a smart pick by SF

Their offense will be unstoppable if guys stay healthy 

They can always move Deebo next offseason if they want to 

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ll forgive not going weapon yesterday if we trade up for Franklin

Even if they gave up their entire draft (which would be foolish) I don’t think it would be enough to move up to early rd 2

Franklin has scary bust risk too

He doesn’t have an NFL body.  He’s rail thin.

His limbs look like dowels 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

“Former Utah Utes and NFL WR Steve Smith Sr. released his list of the top 10 WR's in the draft, and it goes as follows; Malik Nabers #1, Marvin Harrison Jr #2, Rome Odunze #3, Brian Thomas Jr #4, Xavier Worthy #5, Adonai Mitchell #6, Troy Franklin #7, Ladd McConkey #8, Xavier Legette #9, and Malachi Corley #10.”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

A WR3 will typically be on the field 60% to 70+ % of the time

In Gase’s offense it was more like 90% 😂

It’s a smart pick by SF

They can always move Deebo next offseason if they want to 

Based on last year, it's more like 35-40%.

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=SF&year=2023

When healthy, Aiyuk, Samuel, CMC, and Kittle are on pretty much every snap.  They use their FB on about 50% of snaps so that only leaves what's left for WR3 and that's assuming he would get every available snap.  Maybe they will change to work him in more than Juszczyk but more likely he is health insurance.  Can't fault them for that.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Based on last year, it's more like 35-40%.

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=SF&year=2023

When healthy, Aiyuk, Samuel, CMC, and Kittle are on pretty much every snap.  They use their FB on about 50% of snaps so that only leaves what's left for WR3 and that's assuming he would get every available snap.  Maybe they will change to work him in more than Juszczyk but more likely he is health insurance.  Can't fault them for that.

You’re right the 49ers are different in that they deploy a fullback and are more variant with their personnel groupings.

But part of that is probably because they haven’t have a legit WR3 to run out there.

Pearsall profiles to be much better than Jauan Jennings.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I like M. Corley,  Can they get him in the 3rd without having to trade anything ???

Very doubtful. Usually see him mocked in the 45-50 range. 

Is Corley a good fit the Jets? Isn't the knock on him, his imprecise route running? He might drive Rodgers crazy if this were the case. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Even if they gave up their entire draft (which would be foolish) I don’t think it would be enough to move up to early rd 2

Haha. Ima. Franklin fan. Not as a top option. But we have GW. 

4 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Very doubtful. Usually see him mocked in the 45-50 range. 

Is Corley a good fit the Jets? Isn't the knock on him, his imprecise route running? He might drive Rodgers crazy if this were the case. 

Yeah.  He has some Ocho Cinco in him.  He's got the moves and the instincts, but he don't run routs like Steve Largent. 

• Upvote 1

The 2nd round and some of the third we will see Mitchell, Franklin, Coleman, Wilson, McConkey, Polk, McMillian, and most likely Corley all gone. So I think and hope that this list will still be there.......Devontez Walker out of North Carolina, Brenden Rice out of USC and Jerry's son, Jermaine Burton out of Alabama, Anias Smith out of Texas A&M, Javon Baker out of UCF, Johnny Wilson out of Florida St., Jamari thrash out of Louisville and Luke McCaffrey out of Rice and Chris McCaffrey brother.  And you have two excellent slot wideouts in Jacob Cowing of Arizona and Malik Washington of Virginia who had an incredible year this year. 

So who would you want?  I watched all of these players. All excellent receivers. Devontez Walker has 1st Round Talent. And he has a story behind him to succeed in the NFL. I'm rooting for him.  Brenden Rice obviously we all know who his dad is. Excellent wideout who seems to get better by the year. And I love Jermaine Burton out of Alabama. A clutch receiver with incredible hands. These 3 are my favorite. I would take any of the 3 with my 3rd round pick.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

A good comp for him is Chris Olave, I think he can survive...

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

With Roman or my joke. Not to pat myself on the back but I thought it was quite clever.

Roman was the best player at the Senior bowl. Good hands, good body control and ran a sub 4.4 forty. He would be an asset in the slot and off the ball.

This is quite possibly my favorite realistic target left for us too.

I'm not sure the Jets will chase him but they will hopefully take him if he makes it to 72. The one thing giving me pause is that I could see the Jets trying to force an X receiver, since G Wilson and lazard can both play in the slot. G Wilson can also play X of course, but long term we'll need a Mike Williams replacement and I think the staff will want to move Wilson around. The pick might gravitate toward a Corley or tez walker (who I have mixed feelings about, each) instead. 

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Interesting discussion, Jets met with him @ the combine and he's light:

image.thumb.png.2aeeae05eb0857acd197226980a02d1b.png

This is tough. You want to pack some weight and durability onto a guy like this at the NFL level, but it's hard to project if it will affect his speed and agility.

I like the player on film enough to take him at 72 if he's there. 

Its too expensive to move into the top 10ish picks of the second round, but we have enough ammo  ino the 2nd half of the round.  The 2 guys I like the most are Roman Wilson and Luke McCaffery (I like Ladd too but he will be gone early).

Wilson is probably a slot guy but he can play some outside WR.  I think his production had he played at oregon or another pass-happy school would have put him much higher then end of the 2nd so to me he represents really good value, has played in big games and in the cold and should complement GW and Mike Williams really well.

McCaffrey is also going to provide tremendous value simply because of the need for instant results in the NFL.   Kid is 6'2 198 and ran 4.46.  He is a former QB who is lauded for his ability to work the middle of the field and understanding of when to help his QB and work back to the ball.  The issue is he is a little raw since he only played WR for 2 years - who the hell cares.  He played well enough and got enough reps to catch 70 balls for 900 yards.   He is projected in the 3rd/4th but there is a lot of risk with SD picking ahead of us in the 3rd as they need a WR.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

This is tough. You want to pack some weight and durability onto a guy like this at the NFL level, but it's hard to project if it will affect his speed and agility.

I like the player on film enough to take him at 72 if he's there. 

It’s difficult for sure - and as @slats pointed out, along with the dudes in that video - the hand size is smallllll. And while that’s of debatable importance for a tackle, it’s definitely important for a receiver. 

That said, nearly every receiver at this point will have their knocks. There are no clean prospects left. 

Not sure about this. Open to ideas. Good thread. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

This is quite possibly my favorite realistic target left for us too.

I'm not sure the Jets will chase him but they will hopefully take him if he makes it to 72. The one thing giving me pause is that I could see the Jets trying to force an X receiver, since G Wilson and lazard can both play in the slot. G Wilson can also play X of course, but long term we'll need a Mike Williams replacement and I think the staff will want to move Wilson around. The pick might gravitate toward a Corley or tez walker (who I have mixed feelings about, each) instead. 

I love these guys as well.

That being said. Wilson is fast, with hands that snatches the ball, and because Michigan was a run first team is a sleeper. If he was on some other team that throws first he would have been a late 1st, early 2nd pick.

FYI, he ran a faster forty than Nabers. Clocked at 22.23 MPH to Nabers 21.88 mph.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

That said, nearly every receiver at this point will have their knocks. There are no clean prospects left.

This is 100% true for X receivers, or else they would have gone 1st round. However, I think slot receivers often get knocked for just not being as big/strong or able to play every position. 

That's not totally invalid, but I do reckon a few slot WRs are left that are very polished. Great speed, hands, RR, just lacking elite size and catch radius. The NFL is starting to recognize these guys (like ARSB or Kupp) can be superstars too, which is why Pearsall went round 1. Whether one of the elite ones falls (see below!) Is another question. 

18 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Wilson is fast, with hands that snatches the ball, and because Michigan was a run first team is a sleeper. If he was on some other team that throws first he would have been a late 1st, early 2nd pick

Given Pearsalls draft spot I kinda agree, but not all teams love slot WR like that!

7 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I highly doubt the Jets move up due to the cost to get in the second.  I would however, offer the 49'ers next year's 2nd for Aiyuk.

Otherwise, they need to just find this years Puka, St. Brown, Diggs, Hill, etc.  Every year an absolute stud goes in these 3-5 rounds.  Find one.  I like Javon Baker in the 3rd/4th if available. 

Just out of curiosity who would you cut to clear up 14 million in cap space to pay aiyuk of the 49ers even wanted to deal him to us for that?

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

I love these guys as well.

That being said. Wilson is fast, with hands that snatches the ball, and because Michigan was a run first team is a sleeper. If he was on some other team that throws first he would have been a late 1st, early 2nd pick.

FYI, he ran a faster forty than Nabers. Clocked at 22.23 MPH to Nabers 21.88 mph.

I’m glad you’re pumping Wilson up because nobody here is.

I just don’t know if he’ll be there at 72. If he is I’d take him in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I’m glad you’re pumping Wilson up because nobody here is.

I just don’t know if he’ll be there at 72. If he is I’d take him in a heartbeat.

I think Daniel Jeremiah just said, teams have roughly the same players in the top 50, then its all over the place. It will be what is the best fit and not a BPA situation. Because one team has player A at 60, another team might have him at 120.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Just out of curiosity who would you cut to clear up 14 million in cap space to pay aiyuk of the 49ers even wanted to deal him to us for that?

No clue, let JD figure that out.  lol  

33 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I think they would need to reach a handshake agreement on a new contract while having 49ersw take JFM + a pick or two.

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Who would you trade up to get? I’d go get Walker, McConkey, Mitchell, Jets like Franklin & Polk, & Burton.

I think some of these players will be available.  With the way the first round went, heavy on offense, we may see some of these players fall.  There could be an early run on WRs but if you look at team needs, there are only a handful of teams that really need a WR.  It just so happens that they pick early in the 2nd.  Then there are maybe 8-10 teams that could take a WRs but having more pressing needs at other positions.  There are a lot of non-WR players that were possible late 1st rounders that will probably get snatched up in the early 2nd too.  They may not need to trade up to get a WR the covet.

I still like ultra-tall Johnny Wilson from Florida State as a 4th/5th round type prospect.  

He has some flaws, several in fact, unquestionably, but the combo of speed and that height/frame is intriguing.

To be sure, he's not the "win now" weapon I think we still need for an all-in-2024 season, but as a later pick, I'd like to have him.

I'd also be ok taking a mid-late flier on McCaffrey, on his name and lineage alone.  He may not be as good as the previous McCaffrey's, but he's a legit mid-round type prospect and better IMO than the gimpson/Brownlee types.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Which one's has JD met with?  That's usually a sign who he's going to take.

Franklin and Wilson off the top of my head.

Any others? 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I still like ultra-tall Johnny Wilson from Florida State as a 4th/5th round type prospect.  

He has some flaws, several in fact, unquestionably, but the combo of speed and that height/frame is intriguing.

To be sure, he's not the "win now" weapon I think we still need for an all-in-2024 season, but as a later pick, I'd like to have him.

I'd also be ok taking a mid-late flier on McCaffrey, on his name and lineage alone.  He may not be as good as the previous McCaffrey's, but he's a legit mid-round type prospect and better IMO than the gimpson/Brownlee types.

https://thejetpress.com/posts/5-wrs-ny-jets-target-day-2-nfl-draft-01hwbkztv107/2

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

I concur.  I'd rather aim and shoot at the best prospect we can get our hands on than take the buckshot approach.

The picks we got for sliding down to 11 move us up to the bottom of R2 which would be pretty sound if one of the last guys we like is still on the board there.  Think of those picks as 'house money' if it makes it easier.

I agree as  I think it's also important to remember that they were going to give up picks to move up in trying to trade with the Giants (for Nabers or Odunze) and then tried again with the Bears ( specifically for Odunze). If they did that they would have had less to trade up for the OT that was needed today....

We instead now have our OT, and also added Pick 129 and 157 for extra ammo to what I see as being able to move up for a specific second level targeted WR.  Which one is that? I have no clue... 

Conner Hughes let it be known they tried to move up,

https://sportspyder.com/nfl/new-york-jets/articles/47541036