I've got news for Hackenberg...

Jets fans are just as upset as him that he was drafted here, this guy was awful.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/christian-hackenberg-on-why-he-was-a-bust-new-york-was-the-last-place-i-should-have-gone

Christian Hackenberg is one of the worst draft picks in recent memory, a second-round quarterback for the Jets in 2016 who never played in a single regular-season game. He wonders what could have happened if he had been drafted elsewhere.

Hackenberg said on Ross Tucker’s podcast that he thinks he would have had a better shot of succeeding anywhere else.

“New York was probably the last place I should’ve gone,” Hackenberg said. “In terms of the market, the expectations, the way it was. My rookie year we ended up keeping four quarterbacks so there just was not a lot of opportunity for me to develop and grow. No plan, kind of an up-and-down organization. It was just one of those things where I think just the timing and where I ended up just wasn’t in the cards for me at that position. When I look at it introspectively, I was young, I needed a lot of help, and I needed a lot of direction and guidance, and I never sought that out. So that’s where my shortcoming was, is I didn’t do all those things until it was ultimately too late.”

Hackenberg had brief stints with the Raiders, Eagles and Bengals but never made it onto the active roster for any of those teams, and even when he was signed to be the starting quarterback for the Memphis Express of the Alliance of American Football, he was quickly benched. Hackenberg looked like he had talent at Penn State, but some players just can’t cut it in the pros, and he’s one of the clearest examples of one of those players.

• Upvote 2

It’s hard to know about hack back then because he didn’t play.  But he also had a very good offensive coach in gailey and you would think he would have seen something if there was something.  But again hack is right about the pressure of the situation and some guys just can’t handle it coming out of college.

• Upvote 4

Talk about reactionary responses, lol.

I don't see anything wrong with his comments, in fact they're pretty mild as far as "criticism of the Jets" goes frankly.

What he said was mostly about himself, what he needed, and what he didn't seek out, how young (i.e. immature) he was, etc.

And make no mistake, this organization undoubtedly didn't help, look at our now long track record of failing to develop QB's at this point, and Hack likely needed the most of all of them.  In a market more desperate form a savior QB than any other?  No chance he would succeed.

There is more honesty in these comments than I've ever heard from some of our other busts as to why they busted here, lol.  And his record shows he sucked, that he was a bad pick.  Like so many of our QB picks, lol.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

oh wow, such a victim

Did you read it? Like, any of it?

He takes a bunch of accountability for doing too little, too late - and all he says about the Jets is what we all know to be true. They had no plan at that time and are and up and down organization.

You're all too easily butt hurt.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Did you read it? Like, any of it?

He takes a bunch of accountability for doing too little, too late - and all he says about the Jets is what we all know to be true. They had no plan at that time and are and up and down organization.

You're all too easily butt hurt.

i read what was pasted in the OP. my response has nothing to do with being "butt hurt". If he took accountability and I was wrong then fine but my response was based on the prevalence of a victim culture we seem to have today - nothing to do w/the Jets.

This is a guy who got an opportunity most people never get and it didn't work out. He made enough money to set himself up really well if he's smart about it. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

i read what was pasted in the OP. my response has nothing to do with being "butt hurt". If he took accountability and I was wrong then fine but my response was based on the prevalence of a victim culture we seem to have today.

This is a guy who got an opportunity most people never get and it didn't work out. He made enough money to set himself up really well if he's smart about it. 

So, you aren’t commenting on what was actually posted, but instead some weird issue you have with society. And your butt is not hurt. Got it.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

so weird that I would read something and look at it in the context of todays culture and society. derp.

Yeah, it is weird. Like you are choosing  not to to look at it in the context of the interview and actual words spoken, but instead leveraging it as a chance to impart your world view.

I can assure you, nobody here cares about your world view, Barry McCockiner.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I'll take "football players who are no longer relevant" for $500 please.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

How about:  "We have a new category:  NY Jets quarterbacks who were tremendously overdrafted.

I'll take that category for $1,000.00  This Jets QB was the most overdrafted in their history.  "Who is Zach Wilson."  Correct

That same category for $800.  This Jets QB was the 2nd most overdrafted in their history.  Who is Hackenburg?"  Correct.  Even though he was picked in the 2nd round, he was very inaccurate with the football, and lacked the ability to play at the next level.  He probably would not have been drafted until several rounds later than the Jets at #51.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

My favorite headline ever.

Former Jets QB Christian Hackenberg Fizzles in Profanity-Laden AAF Debut

Hackenberg started for the Memphis Express and his team lost to the Birmingham Iron, 26-0. He went 10–for–23 with 87 yards and one interception.

The 23-year-old Hackenberg also forgot he was mic'd up during the game, offering a selection of profanities.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/11/christian-hackenberg-former-jets-qb-aaf-debut

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

How about:  "We have a new category:  NY Jets quarterbacks who were tremendously overdrafted.

I'll take that category for $1,000.00  This Jets QB was the most overdrafted in their history.  "Who is Zach Wilson."  Correct

That same category for $800.  This Jets QB was the 2nd most overdrafted in their history.  Who is Hackenburg?"  Correct.  Even though he was picked in the 2nd round, he was very inaccurate with the football, and lacked the ability to play at the next level.  He probably would not have been drafted until several rounds later than the Jets at #51.

Spot on.  Zach Wilson was a midround project (no matter what the stupid “consensus” said) taken # 2 overall.  Hackenberg was a 6th round prospect taken 40th overall.

It’s not that complicated - Scouting QBs is really hard and the Jets have made things harder by consistently being the worst franchise at evaluating them.  (And their lack of success at other spots post-Jets further proves it was more of an evaluation problem than a poor development one).  

Hence why we have the league’s longest playoff drought.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetswin said:

When I look at it introspectively, I was young, I needed a lot of help, and I needed a lot of direction and guidance, and I never sought that out. So that’s where my shortcoming was, is I didn’t do all those things until it was ultimately too late.”

I’ll give him this much: Agents, parents, don’t let your clients get drafted by the Jets. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll give him this much: Agents, parents, don’t let your clients get drafted by the Jets. 

100% true. Also no less true that everyone who ultimately lacks NFL talent would still be a failure elsewhere, and getting drafted by the Jets merely provides such people the convenient cover that maybe he could've succeeded elsewhere.

Except as I outlined above, there's some precedent for that with others, from Geno Smith to Kurt Warner. 

The interviewer should've said to him about under Belichick, Weiss, and a staff full of Parcells-tree non-coddlers, the 2000 Patriots carried four QBs, dipsh**. Guess which rookie walked into camp as the QB4.

What a big fat p****.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Yeah if he went to another team he would have been a star. It's all new Yorks fault. 

DUDE. YOU STINK. ACCEPT REALITY. YOU WEREN'T GONNA MAKE IT ANYWHERE!

After we traded him to the raiders he had one practice where I think he threw 3 or 4 picks and literally didn’t complete a pass.  Gruden was like c-ya

As a second round pick, he managed to get paid $2,701,144 from the Jets before they finally cut him. The amount of sympathy I have for him is limited. The good news is that drafting Hack is probably why Mac went for The Prez over Watson or, just maybe, Mahomes. 

Yeah, not a lot of sympathy. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Spot on.  Zach Wilson was a midround project (no matter what the stupid “consensus” said) taken # 2 overall.  Hackenberg was a 6th round prospect taken 40th overall.

It’s not that complicated - Scouting QBs is really hard and the Jets have made things harder by consistently being the worst franchise at evaluating them.  (And their lack of success at other spots post-Jets further proves it was more of an evaluation problem than a poor development one).  

Hence why we have the league’s longest playoff drought.  

You are spot on as well!  It's interesting to me, but I actually think the QB we drafted this year  in the 4th round was a great pick! I was dumbfounded that I think the Jets actually got this one right!

• Upvote 2

I remember an article coming out a few years back talking about how Todd Bowles and the coaching staff wouldn't play Hack because they feared for his safety because he was incapable of doing any pre-snap reads to adjust protections.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

If you watch the interview (it’s from a podcast and there’s footage available) it comes across pretty meh, even more than the quotes.

The vibe is “I was a raw prospect that needed the right situation to thrive and NY is a brutal market.”

Granted he would have failed anywhere but he’s also not wrong.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I remember an article coming out a few years back talking about how Todd Bowles and the coaching staff wouldn't play Hack because they feared for his safety because he was incapable of doing any pre-snap reads to adjust protections.

The fact that he was the 40th overall pick and literally never played in the regular season kind of tells you everything you need to know.

• Upvote 1

FUKK YOU Mike McCagnon….. the fact that you have a better record than JD is amazing as you were beyond stupid.

Trade 3 seconds to draft Darnold because you have to finally realize we need a QB after drafting Hackenburg AND passing on Mahommes and Watson for a safety.  

Chris Johnson’s legacy is you and Gase leading the team to where football is going……. 

• Post of the Week 1