Most Overrated Jets player

Most Overrated Jets Player  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who do Jets fans overrate the most?

• Garrett Wilson
    • Sauce Gardner
    • Breece Hall
    • Tyler Conklin
    • AVT
    • Jermaine Johnson
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Quinnen Williams
    • CJ Mosley
    • Someone other than Tyler Conklin or the rest of these guys

I voted AVT.  I think he can be a very good player, but some on this site talk about him as an All Pro.  Lets see him play a full season, and hopefully he makes me look stupid.

Which is not all that hard to do.  (The make me look stupid part).

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

CJ Mosley was always going to be the answer here. I don't think he's overrated by Jets fans but clearly well regarded around the league and sports media. Like most Jets fans I find him frustrating to watch but his stats tell a different story. A lot of the frustration seems to come down to his compensation and his decision to skip the covid year. 

Maybe.  But maybe it's the blown plays by him. 

59 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Al Toon is well before my time.

Keyshawn was a very good player but never really had elite speed or top end playmaking material. Great size, great possession receiver, physical, great blocker. A "number 1" for his day, but I think GW has potential to be better.

There are a few others -- one year of elite Brandon Marshall was electric -- but GW has the potential to be a HOF caliber WR IMO.

GW has a higher ceiling than Keyshawn ever did 

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2024 at 3:41 PM, bicketybam said:

And how many on that list are considered better than Wilson? 

Obviously none of them. 

In related news, all prior Chuck Norris jokes will henceforth be reworded with Garrett Wilson.

The dark is afraid of Garrett Wilson (also why Rodgers doesn't invite him to his "retreats")

Guns carry Garrett Wilson for protection

Garrett Wilson lost his virginity before his dad did

Garrett Wilson can speak braille

Garrett Wilson can kill two stones with one bird

Garrett Wilson refers to himself in the fourth person

Garrett Wilson can make Slinky go up the stairs

The flu and covid both get a Garrett Wilson vaccine every year

When God said "Let there be light!" Garrett Wilson said, "Say please."

Garrett Wilson found the last digit of pi

Garrett Wilson can eat just one Lay's potato chip

Garrett Wilson can read Lady Gaga's poker face

Garrett Wilson once ate at Taco Bell and didn't get diarrhea

Garrett Wilson counted to infinity. Twice.

When the boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks under his bed for Garrett Wilson

Garrett Wilson is so fast he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head

Garrett Wilson can sit in the corner of a round room

Garrett Wilson can delete the Recycling Bin

Garrett Wilson can sneeze with his eyes open

Garrett Wilson can unscramble scrambled eggs

Garrett Wilson can divide by zero

Garrett Wilson can do a wheelie on a unicycle

etc.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

I voted AVT.  I think he can be a very good player, but some on this site talk about him as an All Pro.  Lets see him play a full season, and hopefully he makes me look stupid.

Oh, man.  Just saw this,  Here I am calling the guy overrated on his 25th Birthday.

Happy 25th Alijah!!!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Lith said:

I WAS gonna vote AVT but went Mosely as AVT deserves a second shot.....  but AVT has BUST written on him if he gets hurt again.

download.jpg

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

As usual, Jets fans hate their best players.  In the latest example, CJ Mosley, meanwhile they love the Jagy Jag Jag Jags like Conklin who is actually underrated and if Jeremy Ruckert just got a chance guys, wow, wow! 

I don’t hate Garrett Wilson, Sauce, Quinnen Williams, Breece, Rodgers, or AVT.  

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I WAS gonna vote AVT but went Mosely as AVT deserves a second shot.....  but AVT has BUST written on him if he gets hurt again.

download.jpg

I didn't choose Mosley because the question was most overrated by Jet fans.  I don't think Jet fans overrate Mosley -- I think most Jet fans see him a a solid, but overpaid LB who is past his prime.  I don't think it is Jet fans who overrate Mosley, I think writers and fans of other teams do.  But many Jet fans talk about AVT as if he is already a Pro Bowl player.  I am not ready to call him a bust, but he needs to be able to stay on the field this season.

• Upvote 3

Mosley gets a lot of hate here. In terms of his contract and poor coverage abilities, I get it, but I still don't agree. 

He's great in zone, which is mainly what he's asked to do. As far as an old-fashioned MLB - the position he came into the NFL to play - he's still phenomenal. Hard nosed, downhill, sure-tackling guy who mops up running backs, starts/finishes team tackles and has great intuition playing the gaps. Our run defense hasn't been great but he is half of what's stopping it from being historically bad. Especially in our defense that heavily prioritizes pass defense & pass rush with the wide 9 and frequent nickel use. Also, he doesn't seem to get credit here for being the brains and mentor of this defense. His play recognition is great, it's only too bad he doesn't have the athletecism of a Fred Warner or he'd likely be a top 3 LB leaguewide. His teammates love him.

If anything, my top complaint is that he never seems to actually catch the interceptions he's in place for. But that's why he plays LB lol. I actually do think sites like PFF overrate him, but the team needs a player like Mosley at LB. I truly believe our run defense, and overall defense, would take a serious hit without him.

Well CJ can now be officially confirmed as overrated, considering he is the only one that some are in a rush to defend here, as happens every time an honest word is said about the JAG-worthy LB, who's greatest ROI in 5 years as the league's continually most overpaid defender could be argued as coming when taking $10M to refuse to play.  The signs of a true leader, after all.

Although perhaps we'll just pretend he wasn't recently being lauded by many here after finishing as the 2nd best of only 2 players on the defense's weakest unit?

I don’t like but I have to go with AVT.  Right now he’s another one those really good players who just can’t seem to stay on the field.  I think the whole complexion of last season changes if AVT didn’t go out.

On 6/17/2024 at 1:20 PM, slats said:

Izzy Abanikanda

crazy that we drafted 2 rbs this year.  Do you think we will design plays to get these guys on the field or are they truely depth for breece?

On 6/17/2024 at 8:12 PM, Mr. Rogers said:

Mosley gets a lot of hate here. In terms of his contract and poor coverage abilities, I get it, but I still don't agree. 

He's great in zone, which is mainly what he's asked to do. As far as an old-fashioned MLB - the position he came into the NFL to play - he's still phenomenal. Hard nosed, downhill, sure-tackling guy who mops up running backs, starts/finishes team tackles and has great intuition playing the gaps. Our run defense hasn't been great but he is half of what's stopping it from being historically bad. Especially in our defense that heavily prioritizes pass defense & pass rush with the wide 9 and frequent nickel use. Also, he doesn't seem to get credit here for being the brains and mentor of this defense. His play recognition is great, it's only too bad he doesn't have the athletecism of a Fred Warner or he'd likely be a top 3 LB leaguewide. His teammates love him.

If anything, my top complaint is that he never seems to actually catch the interceptions he's in place for. But that's why he plays LB lol. I actually do think sites like PFF overrate him, but the team needs a player like Mosley at LB. I truly believe our run defense, and overall defense, would take a serious hit without him.

I really don’t want you to take this personally or the wrong way, but this is the single worst post I’ve seen on any website, football-related or otherwise, in the past 15 years.

Mosley is horrible. His instincts are slow; he’s physically slow and weak; he’s out of position and/or runs the wrong way far too often; he gets visibly dragged an extra 2-5 yards gets or outright juked by RBs, neither of which affect his stats negatively as neither counts on paper as missed tackles; on errant QB passes where it’s inexplicably thrown right at him, he drops such easy picks it’s as though he’s getting paid by the other team.

He’s a bottom-5 MLB who holds back what should otherwise be a top 3 defense. They needed to upgrade him, though the D around him is well-coached and talented enough to carry him like a Mark Sanchez of the defense, if people want to use QB of the defense type metaphors.

Hopefully he retires before training camp starts.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

crazy that we drafted 2 rbs this year.  Do you think we will design plays to get these guys on the field or are they truely depth for breece?

My opinion is that they were very eager to fill the backup to Breece role. Also think getting more physical on offense was a priority, and the two pounding backs plus Corley is part of that shift. Since he was picked, I’ve suggested that the 6’1”, 235lb Allen be utilized as a FB. His performance in the OTAs, particularly catching the ball, hopefully help to open their eyes to the possibilities of some 21 personnel where neither back is expected to “just” block, but actually be a potential weapon. I suspect, however, that they are looking forward to pulling Breece in short yardage situations, and spelling him for the occasional series with a backup who’ll beat the defense up. 

• Upvote 1

Mosley is not poor in coverage ... That is a myth. As A matter of fact... I know I read that he is near best in the league in that category.

Mosley is getting older .. but the guy's a stud. He should gradually see a reduced role.

The Jets are very lucky to have him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I really don’t want you to take this personally or the wrong way, but this is the single worst post I’ve seen on any website, football-related or otherwise, in the past 15 years.
Mosley is horrible. His instincts are slow; he’s physically slow and weak; he’s out of position and/or runs the wrong way far too often; he gets visibly dragged an extra 2-5 yards gets or outright juked by RBs, neither of which affect his stats negatively as neither counts on paper as missed tackles; on errant QB passes where it’s inexplicably thrown right at him, he drops such easy picks it’s as though he’s getting paid by the other team.
He’s a bottom-5 MLB who holds back what should otherwise be a top 3 defense. They needed to upgrade him, though the D around him is well-coached and talented enough to carry him like a Mark Sanchez of the defense, if people want to use QB of the defense type metaphors.
Sperm ... I almost always look forward to your posts... But this one seems off... The defense collapsed without him... And I know I read he ranks near the top in coverage abilities.

• WTF? 1

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Sperm ... I almost always look forward to your posts... But this one seems off... The defense collapsed without him... And I know I read he ranks near the top in coverage abilities.

You can’t be serious.

Are you going back to that one missed game in 2021, when the rest of the D personnel was also far inferior, and is therefore an apples to oranges comparison? That D lineup, further handicapped with first-year coaches/coordinators throughout the staff, was a league-worst 32nd in the NFL even with Mosley on it.

You want to make the case in 2021 he was better than Sherwood was as a raw, 216-pound college safety day-3 pick rookie, converted to his new position by a first-year LB coach? Go ahead, but that’s a pretty low bar for dolling out decidedly weak praise to any terrible veteran starter on any team.

So if you’re referring some random game he missed or left early, you may as well also make the case that the Jets D is better off without Sauce, Reed, and also their top backup outside corner in Echols, because the practice squad/depth corners behind them once shut down what was otherwise the NFL’s #1 offense of Sept-Oct, as the D served up what is still the only 3-interception game of Jalen Hurts’s career.

Also what do you mean you almost always look forward to my posts??? Booooo!

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You can’t be serious.

Are you going back to that one missed game in 2021, when the rest of the D personnel was also far inferior, and is therefore an apples to oranges comparison? That D lineup, further handicapped with first-year coaches/coordinators throughout the staff, was a league-worst 32nd in the NFL even with Mosley on it.

You want to make the case in 2021 he was better than Sherwood was as a raw, 216-pound college safety day-3 pick rookie, con verged to his new position by a first-year LB coach? Go ahead, but that’s a pretty low bar for dolling out decidedly weak praise to any terrible veteran starter on any team.

So if you’re referring some random game he missed or left early, you may as well also make the case that the Jets D is better off without Sauce, Reed, and also their top backup outside corner in Echols, because the practice squad/depth corners behind them once shut down what was otherwise the NFL’s #1 offense of Sept-Oct, as the D served up what is still the only 3-interception game of Jalen Hurts’s career.

YesLetTheHateFlowThroughYou.JPG.20bbcb5c3923dfee09a91f96d0d0487a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You can’t be serious.

You want to make the case in 2021 he was better than Sherwood was as a raw, 216-pound college safety day-3 pick rookie, con verged to his new position by a first-year LB coach? Go ahead, but that’s a pretty low bar for dolling out decidedly weak praise to any terrible veteran starter on any team.

On this birthday, no less! You're a MONSTER!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I enjoy every one of these rants.  Every last one of them!

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Mosley is not poor in coverage ... That is a myth. As A matter of fact... I know I read that he is near best in the league in that category.

If only we had metrics to tell us more about this….

Oh wait, we do!  Last year, Mosley allowed 74 % of passes to be completed on him, 7.8 yards per target, and when targeted QBs threw for a 94.9 QB Rating.

All of these are bad.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If only we had metrics to tell us more about this….

Oh wait, we do!  Last year, Mosley allowed 74 % of passes to be completed on him, 7.8 yards per target, and when targeted QBs threw for a 94.9 QB Rating.

All of these are bad.

For context, Mosley’s own teammate Quincy Williams (not exactly known for his coverage abilities) was better in all 3 of these metrics (71.6 %, 7.1, 93.5).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Wit said:

As a pure player, probably Mosley; but he’s very smart and a great motivator and team leader.

Thats nice.  He should retire and become the LB coach then.  He’d have the same impact on the team without being a net negative asset against the cap.  

• Upvote 2