Good news for those that don't like Metlife and the Meadowlands.

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How you know this is true is that all the vulture investors who swooped in to develop coastal property after Sandy built all their high-end condos on massive pylons and everything else was built on the dirt. 

I'd love to know what you think of the Hawaii fires.

15 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Live in a seaside community along the Atlantic that got slammed by Sandy. So as a community, we hired a geologist and he did a workup on rising seas. NYC has been inhabited by Europeans who have kept track of tides and water levels in NY Harbor forever since it's a major port. In fact the seas has been rising at just about 1 foot per century, but no more. That's livable. You do have erosion from storms, but it's not the same thing necessarily. I don't seen any drop in the prices of oceanfront real estate. Although some insurance companies have stopped wrting flood policies. And flood policies limit your recovery to rebuild  from a flood to only $250K. 

So classify this as alarmist nonsense. Though will not miss Metlife for a moment should it slip beneath the waves. 

Holland has figured it out 

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

11 N.J. neighborhoods that will be completely underwater by the end of the century

6. Little Ferry/MetLife Stadium

The Jersey Shore is not the only place expected to be hit harshly by flood issues with 3 feet of sea level rise.

Little Ferry, next to the Hackensack River, is coated in blue on NOAA’s map — denoting flooding problems. Thoroughfares in Moonachie and much of Teterboro, home to an airport, would be affected too.

MetLife Stadium in Rutherford, a few towns over from the Hudson River and the future setting of a World Cup final, would be near flooding forecasted from Berry’s Creek, Peach Island Creek and Ackermans Creek.

image.thumb.png.abcfd7d010641810e5155b97238e9b25.png

https://www.nj.com/atlantic/2024/07/11-nj-neighborhoods-that-will-be-completely-underwater-by-the-end-of-the-century.html

In 1983 they said this would happen by 1997.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Bugg said:

Live in a seaside community along the Atlantic that got slammed by Sandy. So as a community, we hired a geologist and he did a workup on rising seas. NYC has been inhabited by Europeans who have kept track of tides and water levels in NY Harbor forever since it's a major port. In fact the seas has been rising at just about 1 foot per century, but no more. That's livable. You do have erosion from storms, but it's not the same thing necessarily. I don't seen any drop in the prices of oceanfront real estate. Although some insurance companies have stopped wrting flood policies. And flood policies limit your recovery to rebuild  from a flood to only $250K. 

So classify this as alarmist nonsense. Though will not miss Metlife for a moment should it slip beneath the waves. 

1 foot per century is 100% incorrect and Would be beyond devastating lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

1 foot per century is 100% incorrect and Would be beyond devastating lol. 

Yeah, I was like “the East Coast sinking ~3 inches into the ocean every 25 years seems pretty, pretty bad.”

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd love to know what you think of the Hawaii fires.

Because I dare not venture away from the “.com” extension parts of the internet, I haven’t exposed myself to any hard and fast theories about the Hawaii fires 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I was like “the East Coast sinking ~3 inches into the ocean every 25 years seems pretty, pretty bad.”

The feedback loops are devastating and very difficult to read. They have to adjust every 5 years and it just gets worse. 

Global mean sea level has risen about 8–9 inches (21–24 centimeters) since 1880. The rising water level is mostly due to a combination of melt water from glaciers and ice sheets and thermal expansion of seawater as it warms. In 2022, global mean sea level was 101.2 millimeters (4 inches) above 1993 levels, making it the highest annual average in the satellite record (1993-present).

Now the bad news: the report reaffirmed that many parts of the United States can expect their local rate and overall amount of sea level rise to exceed the global average. Extrapolating from observed rates, sea levels on average along the contiguous U.S. are expected to rise as much over the next 30 years (10-12 inches over 2020-2050) as they have over the last 100 years (1920-2020). In some regions, the increases will be even larger. In the western Gulf of Mexico, for example, sea level rise is likely to be about 16-18 inches higher than 2020 levels by 2050—almost a ½ foot higher than the national average.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-sea-level

these are the good old days.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2024 at 12:40 PM, T0mShane said:

How you know this is true is that all the vulture investors who swooped in to develop coastal property after Sandy built all their high-end condos on massive pylons and everything else was built on the dirt. 

#BlueAnon

• Thumb Down 1

On 7/14/2024 at 8:47 AM, Larz said:

The feedback loops are devastating and very difficult to read. They have to adjust every 5 years and it just gets worse. 

Global mean sea level has risen about 8–9 inches (21–24 centimeters) since 1880. The rising water level is mostly due to a combination of melt water from glaciers and ice sheets and thermal expansion of seawater as it warms. In 2022, global mean sea level was 101.2 millimeters (4 inches) above 1993 levels, making it the highest annual average in the satellite record (1993-present).

Now the bad news: the report reaffirmed that many parts of the United States can expect their local rate and overall amount of sea level rise to exceed the global average. Extrapolating from observed rates, sea levels on average along the contiguous U.S. are expected to rise as much over the next 30 years (10-12 inches over 2020-2050) as they have over the last 100 years (1920-2020). In some regions, the increases will be even larger. In the western Gulf of Mexico, for example, sea level rise is likely to be about 16-18 inches higher than 2020 levels by 2050—almost a ½ foot higher than the national average.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-sea-level

these are the good old days.  

Ooooh, it says ".gov".  ThErEfOrE, iT mUsT bE tRuE!!!

On 7/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, Bugg said:

There's also the question of "was this caused by human activity?"  Because if not, then the whole thing is even more of a sham.  

I don't seen any drop in the prices of oceanfront real estate.

Bingo!  Though I guess we have to account for inflation.  But the way prices have gone up, I think it's safe to say that your point holds firm!

Also, look at the elites.  They're really avoiding that oceanfront property!!!

https://nypost.com/article/inside-obamas-marthas-vineyard-estate/

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/bill-and-melinda-gates-purchase-beach-house-in-del-mar/

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the plus side, only 17.2 more years until the last of The Boomer Generation reaches the average age of mortality in the United States!

I'm not a Boomer (if that was supposed to be directed at me).  But by your calculations, we'll probably all be underwater by then anyway!

criminal minds film GIF by Arrow Video

• Haha 4

• Lith locked this topic