One of the most overrated players in the league - NFL Personnel Evaluator

31 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So one ESPN writer does his own poll, publishes it which then gets amplified by Bleacher Report, and now that's a thing?  

Would anyone here trade Sauce for Denzel Ward?  Literally anyone?

I’ve counted about 3 or 4, in this thread alone, that would probably make that trade and, man, that is sadly hysterical.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’ve counted about 3 or 4, in this thread alone, that would probably make that trade and, man, that is sadly hysterical.

I wouldn't, for several reasons:

Davis is older, going into his 7th NFL season in 2024, while Gardner is going into his 3rd.

Davis is less reliable, starting on average only 12.6 games/year, while Gardner averages 16.5 starts/year.  Davis consistently missed 2-4 games/year.

Davis is targeted only slightly more (77.8/year vs. Sauce 70.5/year), but allows slightly more yards (11.2 per Comp/6.0 per Target vs. Sauce 10.2 per Comp/5.6 per Target).

Davis and Sauce are about equal in opponents Comp. %, at 53.7% allowed for Davis, and 54.6% allowed by Sauce.

Davis allows more TD's, allowing an average of 2.8 per season to Sauce's 1.0 per season.

The only area where Davis exceeds Sauce is at INT's, which are important, with Davis averaging 2.5/year to Sauce's 1.0/year.

The negatives are too many and the positives too few, so no, I wouldn't consider this trade at all.

I will not though how so many here on this site seem to think it has to be all (fawning) or nothing (hating) when it comes to Jets players, or deny that multiple things (both good and bad) can be true at the same time.

Sauce is a great CB, and elite in pure coverage.  He's also too handsy for his own good (albeit it hasn't burned him much as yet), hasn't been on opponents #1 100% of the time (simply a fact of the Jets system), and he creates too few INT's (a statistical fact, frankly). 

Why that's so hard for some to accept, I'll never understand.

48 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I would have thought of all people you would have quoted Sauce saying this..."It's enough space in this world for all of us to eat."

Us to eat? haha, you got the wrong guy Clay. Barely enough space for me to eat!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Where are you sourcing that claim?  Per Pro Football Reference, he's allowed two so far in the Pros, 1 ea. per season played.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GardSa00.htm

I’ve seen those numbers debated.  
Even with 2, what’s the argument about his worth?  He’s too handsy while PI isnt being called?  That’s a knock, that some fans of opponents cry all the time he gets away with penalties that refs don’t believe are PI penalties.

Jet fans arguing that one of the leagues best really isn’t, the statistics that overwhelmingly say he’s one of the best aren’t true.  I’m not going to get into the ridiculous argument that he shouldn’t get too CB dollars because 1. He will and 2. He should.  

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 years in the league and 2 years as a 1st team all pro.

But you think hes not elite.

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.  You could not make this stuff up if you tried.  Too funny.

Sauce is absolutely elite. No doubt about it. Also, it may not make economic sense to pay him what he’s worth when you also have guys like Garrett Wilson and Breece to pay coming up. It would not surprise me at all if the Jets wind up trading him, and probably getting back two firsts as a result. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Sauce is absolutely elite. No doubt about it. Also, it may not make economic sense to pay him what he’s worth when you also have guys like Garrett Wilson and Breece to pay coming up. It would not surprise me at all if the Jets wind up trading him, and probably getting back two firsts as a result. 

Why are jet fans so concerned about signing guys?  Our young studs are all getting signed.  Garrett, Breece, Sauce etc will all get very nice 2nd contract from Joe D

Relax jet fans!  For once just enjoy what we have and be confident we are keeping it.

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Have you?  Where?  I'd be interested in reading the source for that debate.

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Jet fans arguing that one of the leagues best really isn’t

I don't see Jets Fans doing that here.

I just see some folks who will not brook any criticism of even the most mild variety when it comes to Sauce.  

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can see guys not loving him.  He is pathetic in run support and tackling in general.  Still he seems to cover really well and "getting away with holding on every play" seems more like a positive than a negative to me.  Maybe that is because when push comes to shove when you are against the big boys they will call it - didn't that happen against the Chiefs last year?  Big difference holding against the Jaguars or Broncos in November than the Chiefs or Bills in January.  Still the D basically went from worst to first simply by adding him and Reed, so the value is obviously there.

Did Deion ever make a tackle?  Granted he’s not built for real contact but his job is to cover and he does that as good as anyone.  If people don’t like him it’s probably more because he plays and succeeds in the largest market.

• Upvote 2

Who cares

Just go win games

They can say he's the 64th best in the league for all I care

Idiots like Saleh get caught up in all the public perception and "taking receipts" BS

The Jets were jobbed out of a chance at winning that Chiefs game by Steratore's nephew or whoever that was.

If Sauce is allowed to get away with being more physical, it doesn't come close to making up for the million times the Jets have been hosed by the refs and league over the last 30 years or whatever.

The NFL loves narratives.

If you look at the schedule, they have intentionally set things up (after the 9ers game) for the Jets to succeed early in the year so as to try to ensure all those prime time games with AR8 are meaningful / relevant and therefore viewer-friendly to a national audience.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Where are you sourcing that claim?  Per Pro Football Reference, he's allowed two so far in the Pros, 1 ea. per season played.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GardSa00.htm

The TDs in question are—according to film hardos—breakdowns in zone coverage that made it look like Sauce got cooked. IIRC, one was Jordan Whitehead being way out of position, and the later one against the Bills (on that sick laser beam from Josh Allen to Khalil Shakir for 70+) was on Ashtyn Davis(?). 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

+1. If something happens to/with Rodgers this season and he bounces, this Jets team is immediately thrust into a soft rebuild with limited paths to a QB for the near term. It might not make sense to sign off on hundreds of millions in extensions for Garrett Wilson, Breece, Sauce, Jermaine Johnson, etc. If, say, the Lions were to offer two firsts for Sauce thinking he’s their missing piece, the Jets should probably take that deal. 

Why are jet fans so concerned about signing guys?  Our young studs are all getting signed.  Garrett, Breece, Sauce etc will all get very nice 2nd contract from Joe D
Relax jet fans!  For once just enjoy what we have and be confident we are keeping it.

I’d love to believe you in this. But this is a business. Cant keep all 3. Just the nature of if it all

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Have you?  Where?  I'd be interested in reading the source for that debate.

I don't see Jets Fans doing that here.

I just see some folks who will not brook any criticism of even the most mild variety when it comes to Sauce.  

Seriously have seen the TDs questioned, stems from exactly what @T0mShane posted.  

As I said, he’s universally praised as being one of the best.  I’ve been watching football since the mid 60s and am hard pressed to remember anyone who came in an dominated like this kid at CB.  His numbers as a rookie were off the charts.  The nonsense like he only plays one side of the field, like pretty much every other cb not named Revis, or he’s too handsy for some here is comical.  And no, it’s not those who can’t brook any criticism, it’s a tiny handful who see the need for criticism where there isn’t.  He’s at the top of his profession

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Even with 2, what’s the argument about his worth?  He’s too handsy while PI isnt being called?  That’s a knock, that some fans of opponents cry all the time he gets away with penalties that refs don’t believe are PI penalties.

Jet fans arguing that one of the leagues best really isn’t, the statistics that overwhelmingly say he’s one of the best aren’t true.  I’m not going to get into the ridiculous argument that he shouldn’t get too CB dollars because 1. He will and 2. He should.  

I believe it's zero in man coverage and 2 in zone.

Bust.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1