Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I wouldn’t really say Becton last year played. He was physically there I guess.

Really?  He didn’t play because anyone with a memory or brain would say he didn’t play or you would you say he didn’t play because it shoots down your prediction.  He wouldn’t play in fact he wouldn’t be on the opening day roster.  

As usual, the goalposts have moved to suit the argument.  You were right because he didn’t play well.  You have an interesting style 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Biggs said:

NFL contracts aren't guaranteed except for the guaranteed part.  

Understood. But it is the contract he signed. The vast majority of players play out their deals and then look to Free Agency for another bite of the apple.

All that said, Reddick is perfectly within his rights. I am not arguing that.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The question I was answering directly was your question of "Who was behind the Zach Wilson decision the last 3 years?".

I took the direct tact of answering based upon YOUR very own rants on this board to that question. You know, an X Files kind of postulating that you continued to spew and spew here. To the point of mocking others if they did not buy into your far flung suggestion of assertion.

Again, I will remind you of your constant haranguing: Your assertion was that it was Woody Johnson that was behind the Zach Wilson existence on the roster of the New York Jets. You know, because of some uncle relative and a JetBlue association. 

Do you now deny this assertion that you brow beat this board with? Or, are you just fitting another narrative you have and twisting the facts to support a new rant and its "in your own mind" twist? I suggest the latter based upon your history.

Listen, there are many easy marks to hit the NYJ with that trend toward incompetency. You do not need to make things up. The facts are much stranger than even your own fiction you make up here. You are just trying too hard.

More Woody white knighting.  15 years no playoffs the worst record in the sport and the owner posting twitter vids about how he’s drafting Sauce before the draft yeah he’s not meddling 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Having Zach as QB2 going into a season in which we supposedly were competing for a Super Bowl was an incredibly stupid decision and it had predictably horrible results 

Yes, most definitely one of the obvious errors by an inexperienced unproven gm. Especially how hard Rodgers rehabbed in effort to come back end of yr. He was ready, but jets could only find rock bottom qb play to bridge the gap until Aaron’s return. Vikings acquired a qb to compete for a very late round draft pick. He was miles ahead better play than Zach and the 4th stringers JD signed. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

1) This is where we part ways.  He is a part-time player.  He is a liability against the run, and I am not a fan of players who, during their contract year, puts up better numbers than the rest of their years.  It wreaks of Wilkerson to me.  I think Philly got fleeced.  Time will tell.

Yes.  This is one we'll have to see play. 

But as for the contract year - that's only because he finally got reps that allowed him to have those numbers.  Again, I believe Huff will have a better than Reddick (and a MUCH better next three years)

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

2) Over thirty isn't the problem it used to be.  There have been lots of examples of good ones.  Von Miller, Demarcus Lawrence, Justin Houston, Khalil Mack come to mind.  I am sure there are more.

Those are all big body guys.  Not solely reliant on speed.   Huff and Reddick are both completely reliant on quick twitch.  Those guys hit 30 and are done.   Again, we'll see.  Would love to be wrong about this one.

-------------

Lastly, scroll over the text as if to copy and paste and a little "quote selection" box will appear.  Just click on that and it will automatically do the rest.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But as for the contract year - that's only because he finally got reps that allowed him to have those numbers.  Again, I believe Huff will have a better than Reddick (and a MUCH better next three years)

Those are all big body guys.  Not solely reliant on speed.   Huff and Reddick are both completely reliant on quick twitch.  Those guys hit 30 and are done.   Again, we'll see.  Would love to be wrong about this one.

-------------

Lastly, scroll over the text as if to copy and paste and a little "quote selection" box will appear.  Just click on that and it will automatically do the rest.

You honestly think Huff is anything near a 3-down Edge rusher?  We shall see.  Obviously the Jets' evaluation did not equate his on- the-field long term value with the salary he would have demanded.  Same for the Eagles and Reddick, BTW.  Reddick is just better.  And MUCH better and if you can't see that, there's nothing left to say.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

You honestly think Huff is anything near a 3-down Edge rusher?  We shall see.  Obviously the Jets' evaluation did not equate his on- the-field long term value with the salary he would have demanded.  Same for the Eagles and Reddick, BTW.  Reddick is just better.  And MUCH better and if you can't see that, there's nothing left to say.

I would trust the Eagles front office far more than the Jets.  We shall see.  Either me and the Eagles or you (and most Jet fans) and the Jets - will be right on this one.

I think Huff might be the single most underrated players by Jet fans I can ever remember.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I would trust the Eagles front office far more than the Jets.  We shall see.  Either me and the Eagles or you (and most Jet fans) and the Jets - will be right on this one.

I think Huff might be the single most underrated players by Jet fans I can ever remember.

nah.  He's pretty good but not in the top tier as you imagine him to be.  Reddick is proven and far better at this point.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He had 10 sacks last season. 10. Not 18. Not 15. Not even 12. 10. He had 7.5 in his 3 prior years. He didn't get his first sack until week 5. He had 8 going into the last game of the year where Zappe was sacked 7 times in total. You have an awfully high opinion of Huff. Most underrated player ever by Jets fans? 😄

56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Everyone can be right. The Eagles have to pay other people, has nothing to do with who's better.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

1. Reddick signed his own deal on his own terms. He was the first DE lineman signed in Free Agency during 2022. No one twisted his arm to sign that deal.

2. Players are traded on the last year of a deal all the time. It is an NFL GM strategy. Not unusual positioning by either the seller or the buyer. 

3. A player playing out his contract that he negotiated is abuse? Not sue where that comes from. How about living up to a deal that you signed in good faith?

Thank you!

Thinking like this is why we get rid of a younger player in Huff and wind up with a much older player now holding out.

Finally, because the NFL's business practice is, its practice -- doesn't make it right, proper, or ethical. 

Concerning your last point, which is often cited, people frequently change deal terms and say people should live up to the "deal" they signed.   And yes people should live up to the deals that they sign.... Yes, they should......

However, in general, and in good conscious we  have to look at the bargaining position of the parties, that is the underlying strength of  bargaining positions of the parties and NFL players are not as strong as NFL Owners, and we should keep this in mind when discussing these issues.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Pretty safe to say Reddick should've been a 'hold in'. I think it's $50K a day from now on until he shows

WOWWWW. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Pretty safe to say Reddick should've been a 'hold in'. I think it's $50K a day from now on until he shows

i have no idea how much money he has made in his career but at those numbers and 50k per day - this should end soon

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

-------------

how much would you plan huff if you were the coach?  % of plays i guess.

would you have paid him 20mm a year?  (so 3 years 60mm, with same percent guaranteed like the eagles)?

that probably would have gotten him over his issue of part time player.  

-------------

For somebody who loves to be wrong you tend to repeat the same thing over and over again just changing the name of the player. You should maybe spend some time on a Broncos sight, might cheer you up. But give it a day so you can acclimate to the elevation. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

how much would you plan huff if you were the coach?  % of plays i guess.

would you have paid him 20mm a year?  (so 3 years 60mm, with same percent guaranteed like the eagles)?

that probably would have gotten him over his issue of part time player.  

I would have given him a 3 year $51mm contract with a maximum annual value of $20mm.

I can't say what % of plays but more than the Jets have played him.  He needed to be on the field more.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

“Panic” is extreme, imo. It’s just a curious handling of a trade for a veteran player. Aiyuk will get paid because he’s a young, elite talent who’ll provide ROI for however long his new deal runs. A little bit different scenario when a perennial Super Bowl contender runs into the problem of having to pay too many elite, young players. Presuming Douglas is able to keep his job for another two years, he’ll be in a similar situation trying to re-up Garrett Wilson, Sauce, etc. But he’s not there now. Right now he’s in the mud trying to find a way to pay Hassan Reddick, which is suboptimal. 

Meh the reaction has been over the top at least, resembling panic (or the idea that this should cause panic). 

Everyone wants Reddick in camp right this minute -- no one is stating otherwise. The splitting hairs of distinctions between his holdout and others is not only making hay of nothing, since any player is either holding out or he isn't - but it's also no more problematic than Aiyuk or any others holding out for their respective teams. San Fran has two such players, right after going through this very thing the prior offseason with Bosa, and putting Deebo on the trade block for a while the offseason before that. 

The point is this holdout is part of the negotiation process, where players use leverage they have. I don't like it when Jets hold out, but accept it is a part of that process. At this point yes it's suboptimal, as you put it, but suboptimal isn't an all-or-nothing state of affairs. Something can be suboptimal but not tragic -- most suboptimal things are, tbh, not unlike my average stiffy compared to when I was 18. 

He's obviously going to play this year because, despite the leverage he's using as best he can, in the end he has little choice but to not sit out the season, otherwise he'll be under contract with the Jets for the same $14.25MM next year in the same situation, a year older and $14MM poorer.

This transaction was risk vs reward for Douglas. He wasn't risking much - a 3rd rounder he'd recoup if Reddick hits FA after this season - and the reward is replacing Huff with a better player, who won't be miserable because the Jets have blocked him from his dream of being a full-time starter. This situation, comparatively, is all about money. Well ok, it's a money business.

• Upvote 2

GOT IT!  Thanks dude.   An old dog CAN learn new tricks F****S!

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean when you trade for a player and then he doesn’t show up, you might want to explain what exactly happened there. 

You might.  But an actual competent GM wouldn't.  He would keep it private out of respect for the parties involved to prove he might actually be a more trust-worthy GM to deal with.  Could be that, or perhaps he is just a lucky baffoon who somehow lucked his way into one of only 32 jobs of its kind on the planet.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh the reaction has been over the top at least. 

Everyone wants Reddick in camp right this minute -- no one is stating otherwise. The splitting hairs of distinctions between his holdout and others is not only making hay of nothing, since any player is either holding out or he isn't - but it's also no more problematic than Aiyuk or any others holding out for their respective teams. San Fran has two such players, right after going through this very thing the prior offseason with Bosa, and putting Deebo on the trade block for a while the offseason before that. 

The point is this holdout is part of the negotiation process, where players use leverage they have. I don't like it when Jets hold out, but accept it is a part of that process. At this point yes it's suboptimal, as you put it, but suboptimal isn't an all-or-nothing state of affairs. Something can be suboptimal but not tragic -- most suboptimal things are, tbh, not unlike my stiffies compared to when I was 18. 

He's obviously going to play this year because, despite the leverage he's using as best he can, in the end he has little choice but to not sit out the season, otherwise he'll be under contract with the Jets for the same $14.25MM next year in the same situation, a year older and $14MM poorer.

This transaction was risk vs reward for Douglas. He wasn't risking much - a 3rd rounder he'd recoup if Reddick hits FA after this season - and the reward is replacing Huff with a better player, who won't be miserable because the Jets have blocked him from his dream of being a full-time starter. This situation, comparatively, is all about money. Well ok, it's a money business.

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh the reaction has been over the top at least. 

The point is this holdout is part of the negotiation process, where players use leverage they have. I don't like it when Jets hold out, but accept it is a part of that process. At this point yes it's suboptimal, as you put it, but suboptimal isn't an all-or-nothing state of affairs. Something can be suboptimal but not tragic -- most suboptimal things are, tbh, not unlike my stiffies compared to when I was 18. 

Man you talk pretty and I absolutely mean that in the most complimentary way.

Why is it you can see and articulate exactly why JD did this deal and the low risk it presented yet we have 16 pages of mostly posts on how JD sucks, was taken to the cleaners, and got fleeced of a future hall of famer?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

Man you talk pretty and I absolutely mean that in the most complimentary way.

Why is it you can see and articulate exactly why JD did this deal and the low risk it presented yet we have 16 pages of mostly posts on how JD sucks, was taken to the cleaners, and got fleeced of a future hall of famer?

Thank you, and I'll just presume it's not meant in a Deliverance way, complimenting me my on my real purty mouth.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

For somebody who loves to be wrong you tend to repeat the same thing over and over again just changing the name of the player. You should maybe spend some time on a Broncos sight, might cheer you up. But give it a day so you can acclimate to the elevation. 

repeating?

I think Bryce Huff, right now, is likely to be better than Hassan Reddick.   What does that have to do with anything else I've been saying?

The move made little sense to me.  It's one thing to let Huff walk because you just drafted another speed rusher in the 1st round.  Completely another to then go and trade for one that same off-season, especially for a much older version.  Made no sense to me and still makes no sense to me. 

You can love the move and I'll say good for you - but me not liking that move and also thinking Old Man Rodgers is shot are two entirely different things.   

1 minute ago, Drums said:

Does the money he is losing affect our cap at all? @Barry McCockinner @Sperm Edwards

I think the way that's handled is the Jets would get it back as a cap credit next year (i.e. a higher cap ceiling).

The reason is that difference in $ will have counted against the 2024 cap all season/offseason even though they didn't pay it to him. 

It's also possible it becomes a cap credit this year, which would become the same thing if it's unused: cap space moved to next year in the form of a higher cap ceiling. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

You might.  But an actual competent GM wouldn't.  He would keep it private out of respect for the parties involved to prove he might actually be a more trust-worthy GM to deal with.  Could be that, or perhaps he is just a lucky baffoon who somehow lucked his way into one of only 32 jobs of its kind on the planet.  

Cope 

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

repeating?

I think Bryce Huff, right now, is likely to be better than Hassan Reddick.   What does that have to do with anything else I've been saying?

The move made little sense to me.  It's one thing to let Huff walk because you just drafted another speed rusher in the 1st round.  Completely another to then go and trade for one that same off-season, especially for a much older version.  Made no sense to me and still makes no sense to me. 

You can love the move and I'll say good for you - but me not liking that move and also thinking Old Man Rodgers is shot are two entirely different things.   

Why would you think that? Only because it fits your bullshit narrative of oh he too old. So save it for someone else Fido. I liked the move until he held out and now I hate it. But you acting like we had a choice between Huff and Reddick is just wrong. Huff was gone the minute we drafted McDonald, by the way I hated that move too, I liked Huff. But, you acting like Huff is somewhat better than Reddick is literally @Raideraholiclevel delusional. Could very well be true after this season but it's 100% nonsense right now. Reddick is a next level game wrecker. Huff is a nice speed guy that can only play on third downs.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

his record fits in with the baffoon narrative -what is he 30+ games under 500 for his tenure 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, kmnj said:

his record fits in with the baffoon narrative -what is he 30+ games under 500 for his tenure 

Well, I would suggest that judging things on win-loss is baffoonery.  This team is LIGHTS out one of the best teams the NY Jets have had talent wise.  If this team had Pat Mahomes, they might LITERALLY be a super bowl contender each year for the next 15 years like the Patriots were.  That is how good the over-all talent levels of this team are.  

It also shows you how (negative word here) the average fan can be.  We have all bought into the narrative.  And they have made the league a QB league.  And the problem is its not a team sport anymore, it's a QB sport.  And Tom Brady's, Pat Mahomes, and Peyton Manning's don't grow on trees.  You need all the talent around them first and THEN if you can get a good QB you can dominate.  And the best QB's are the ones who just can find a way to win.  That might mean having ice in the veins (Brady), it might mean bringing the sandlot to the pro level and pulling it off (Mahomes) or it might be a scholar of the position (Manning), but if you don't have one, you are in trouble.  

This is JD's last gasp.  Rodgers has to work for a couple of years, and he has to spend capital now to find a possible long-term replacement.  Maybe Travis is that, or next's years QB.  If not, he is gone.  But he will be leaving this team in FAR better position than any of the last 3-4 GM's ever did.  So, chess/checkers.  Both games are great.  I will be the first to help JD pack if we don't get to the playoffs.  But I will shake his hand on his way out the door because he will leave behind a much better product than I have seen since the late 1990s/early 2000s.  

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade