Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

Question to anyone - will Reddick's unpaid salary get added back into our cap space?

I have to assume not, but I thought I saw someone suggest that recently. If so, Reddick TRULY lacks leverage. The Jets should simply trade for an available pass rusher close to the deadline and pay them using Reddick's cap space, if the team is performing up to expectations. 

Obviously, it'll hurt to have lost the pick on Reddick, but if we're winning enough games it will all be forgiven 

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

So what's his, or his amazing agent's, leverage?

It’s not leverage, per se, but the Jets are going to drag an unhappy veteran into camp on a one year cut rate deal and hope he doesn’t pull a hamstring? Reddick is a legit 12 sack edge rusher. Pay him for the year or trade him. Bunch of teams are desperate for pass rush right now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

See, I’m rusty.  I haven’t been paying as much attention as I should this off-season.  Now I’m trying to get into regular season post mode and I’m a sloppy mess.

It’s pre-season for all of us, my friend 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not leverage, per se, but the Jets are going to drag an unhappy veteran into camp on a one year cut rate deal and hope he doesn’t pull a hamstring? Reddick is a legit 12 sack edge rusher. Pay him for the year or trade him. Bunch of teams are desperate for pass rush right now.

For whatever reason it seems like Douglas is hell bent on him being in the building before negotiating. Whether that’s the right move or not..

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Question to anyone - will Reddick's unpaid salary get added back into our cap space?

I have to assume not, but I thought I saw someone suggest that recently. If so, Reddick TRULY lacks leverage. The Jets should simply trade for an available pass rusher close to the deadline and pay them using Reddick's cap space, if the team is performing up to expectations. 

Obviously, it'll hurt to have lost the pick on Reddick, but if we're winning enough games it will all be forgiven 

His salary is currently off the books. The Jets listed him as “did not report.” 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Pay this guy , we need him . Period . Some weird takes on here stating otherwise . 

Thank yalll Stephen A.!

Never forget! Haason, you lying sack of balls $hit! 

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

For whatever reason it seems like Douglas is hell bent on him being in the building before negotiating. Whether that’s the right move or not..

What’s the rationale behind that. This whole we’ll see how things go and then reassess is ridiculous. Reddick doesn’t want that and was clear about it. Why absorb this problem?  Douglas has yet to address this. 

• Upvote 1

Reddick's Agent:  "We want a trade."

JD: "Okay, but nobody wants your player because it will be his fifth NFL team and he's looked at like a lying, miserable b**** everywhere he goes.  Nobody is trading for a guy who is showing up with a gun and wearing a mask like he's trying to rob a bank."

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

lol. Ya Definitely much different circumstances.  Marlins were on a fire sale, they had no intention of keeping him. Steal for the Mets. This is uncharted waters if JD even entertained the idea of trading Reddick for less than what he just gave. 

I was actually pissed at the time that they gave up Mookie's nephew.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Does this seem that crazy? I'll agree it's a bit arbitrary, but Reddick could easily report and just not participate. 

The way the media has spun all this, it feels like the real issue is that Reddick was OK with a renegotiated 1yr deal and now he's not. You gotta think he'd just show up and get his money otherwise. If he really requested a trade just because JD wanted him to negotiate in at camp, maybe it's for the best he's not here lol

7 minutes ago, slats said:

His salary is currently off the books. The Jets listed him as “did not report.” 

Oh, excellent, thanks!

I guess the threat of Reddick reporting AFTER the jets sign someone else will stop them from doing so, but it's nice to know another signing could be a possibility later in the season. Or that we'll have cap space if we trade for another DL.

Really there are two options for Reddick - take what the Jets are prepared to give him or take this into the season. Taking this into the season seems like a terrible idea, but I guess we'll see how dug in Reddick is now

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Does this seem that crazy? I'll agree it's a bit arbitrary, but Reddick could easily report and just not participate

The way the media has spun all this, it feels like the real issue is that Reddick was OK with a renegotiated 1yr deal and now he's not. You gotta think he'd just show up and get his money otherwise. If he really requested a trade just because JD wanted him to negotiate in at camp, maybe it's for the best he's not here lol

This is what I’d be doing. I think the guy genuinely doesn’t want to play here anymore.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He literally cannot afford to dog it because that will directly impact his market value even more than his actions up until now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, EM31 said:

The Jets haven't screwed up anything.

I mean, there's definitely an argument that the jets should have ironed out a new contract the day Reddick was traded for. He was in the building. 

There's no way to know whether Reddick would have honored THAT contract either, to be fair. Otherwise I agree though,  since Reddick changed his attitude the Jets have been right to sit pat. He should be part of the team before he gets his raise

• Upvote 2

Just now, GangGreened said:

This is what I’d be doing. I think the guy genuinely doesn’t want to play here anymore.

You gotta have some real conviction to walk into camp and sit on the grass while your 'brothers' are dying in the August heat. That's how you get jumped in the locker room

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

You gotta have some real conviction to walk into camp and sit on the grass while your 'brothers' are dying in the August heat. That's how you get jumped in the locker room

Generally I'd agree, but Reddick's deal lacks guaranteed money. I think they'd all understand that he doesn't want to risk injury before he at least got some guaranteed/a raise. If they had the leverage and ability, they probably would too. NFL is a business.

Of course, whatever Reddick's up to now will surely NOT endear him to the team lol

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

But it’s what the Jets want him to do, they want him in the building to talk business, and he won’t even do that. That’s why I think he just doesn’t want to play here at this point.

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

He literally cannot afford to dog it because that will directly impact his market value even more than his actions up until now.

He’s one of the elite pass rushers in football. The Jets boning him isn’t going to ruin his market. It just reaffirms that the Jets are clowns. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade