Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Heres an idea.  Instead of whining about Reddick.  Maybe you wait and see what our young pass rushers in JJ and Wille Mac can do.  If by week 5 or 6 they are not producing, then u can whine.

Didnt u guys learn anything making fools of yourselves over T-I-P-P-Ys snapping?

By week 5 or 6 you'll be a sad husk of yourself posting once every few days just like last season.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Six years of high high picks and the endgame involves buying 3/5ths of an OL, and a 40 year old QB that nobody wanted

They could fire him tomrorow and I wouldn’t complain. I was just toting the line used in his defense.

• Upvote 2

As with many things in life, this simply comes down to leverage.  That's where Reddick loses the stare-down.  He already played the Jets will accommodate my demands in a must win 2024.  Now he is playing the trade me game and it's not looking good for him, is it?  The Jets hold his rights and if there isn't this huge market for him being paid elsewhere, then why would the Jets trade him?  But didn't the Philly Jets trade already reflect the market?  The Jets 2026 3rd rounder was the best offer and that offer would likely go down if the acquiring team needed to substantially increase his pay.      

Continuing with Reddick's leverage--

1. If he doesn't play this year for the Jets, he sits into his 30s and loses a full year of pay on top of accruing penalties.  Meanwhile, the Jets continue to hold his rights.

2. In 2025, who is going to trade for and then pay a disgruntled 30+ year old speed Edge who sat the year?  Risk goes up, market value goes down.  

The Jets leverage--

The Jets are rightfully playing the Reddick needs to play and play well for him to maximize his remaining career earnings.  Unless his ego/feelings get in the way (cuts off his nose to spite his face).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless Reddick is an idiot (which he might be ...), he needs to show up in shape sooner rather than later AND perform if he wants to get paid.  These trade antics are a last ditch effort to see if JD bluffs.  This now is clearly a 1 year rental, which is what it always was in JD's mind.  Too many players (Sauce, Garrett, Breece) to pay next year.

The good thing about today is all cards are on the table and this should wrap up shortly.  I expect Reddick to stay in shape and report in the next 2 weeks once JJ/McDonald are closed down for the rest of the preseason.  Injuries can still happen before then.           

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 8/9/2024 at 10:56 AM, FidelioJet said:

They have contracts so you don't have to take people at their word.  They've been around a long time. 

Taking players or GM's at their word isn't a thing in today's sports.  

I don't know what was promised or what wasn't but the unavoidable reality is the Jets traded for a player under contract that wasn't prepared to play under that contract.   

Can't argue with that Jack!

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

1. His agent isn’t Jimmy Sexton it’s Tory Dandy.

2. If they didn’t f*cking suck, Reddick would have had a history of great contracts.  Instead they all suck.

Both are listed. Either way he’s repped by CAA

8 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

As with many things in life, this simply comes down to leverage.  That's where Reddick loses the stare-down.  He already played the Jets will accommodate my demands in a must win 2024.  Now he is playing the trade me game and it's not looking good for him, is it?  The Jets hold his rights and if there isn't this huge market for him being paid elsewhere, then why would the Jets trade him?  But didn't the Philly Jets trade already reflect the market?  The Jets 2026 3rd rounder was the best offer and that offer would likely go down if the acquiring team needed to substantially increase his pay.      

Continuing with Reddick's leverage--

1. If he doesn't play this year for the Jets, he sits into his 30s and loses a full year of pay on top of accruing penalties.  Meanwhile, the Jets continue to hold his rights.

2. In 2025, who is going to trade for and then pay a disgruntled 30+ year old speed Edge who sat the year?  Risk goes up, market value goes down.  

The Jets leverage--

The Jets are rightfully playing the Reddick needs to play and play well for him to maximize his remaining career pay.  Unless his ego/feelings get in the way (cuts off his nose to spite his face).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless Reddick is an idiot (which he might be ...), he needs to show up in shape sooner rather than later AND perform if he wants to get paid.  These trade antics are a last ditch effort to see if JD bluffs.  This now is clearly a 1 year rental, which is what it always was in JD's mind.  Too many players (Sauce, Garrett, Breece) to pay next year.

The good thing about today is all cards are on the table and this should wrap up shortly.  I expect Reddick to stay in shape and report in the next 2 weeks once JJ/McDonald are closed down for the rest of the preseason.  Injuries can still happen before then.           

The part in blue is all that needs to be said.

Reddick realized at some point that the best he was getting was more money upfront, not a long term extension.  The Jets never had the intention of paying him beyond this year and he’s acting like a scorned woman because these short up-front deals are all he has ever signed during his career.  He doesn’t want a sugar coated 3-year contract that is really a 2-year deal with how it’s structured.  He wants a 5-year deal with the structure that makes him one of the richest players in the NFL.

Welp.

Too late for that Haason.  You aren’t getting it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Both are listed. Either way he’s repped by CAA

And either way, he has history of getting boned on all of his contracts so what are we doing here, pretending that they’ve steered him in the right direction?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And either way, he has history of getting boned on all of his contracts so what are we doing here, pretending that they’ve steered him in the right direction?

But, but, but... you won't get 39 to admit to anything. He'll just dodge and weave like usual. I'm still waiting for him to tell me what leverage Reddick and his agent have. The best he could come up with in his fantasy world was that JD will be desperate because he fears he won't be signed to an extension. This whole line of reasoning if idiotic, but hey anyone can say anything on the internet and never have to own up to anything. Nature of the medium.

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Even if it isn’t Lazard in the package and as I’ve said before: there are other ways around the cap.

Yeah, I don’t think there are too many ways around the cap in-season. As it is, they’ll have to re-do Adams’ deal next offseason because his cap charges are massive moving forward. Every vet contract is guaranteed on day one of the season and you can’t just scrub them off the books in November. 

16 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Answer me this: why would the Jets cave to either one of his demands?

Because they have three weeks to mount a Super Bowl run or everyone is getting fired, and Reddick is a game-changing pass rusher who can help them do that. There is no tomorrow for these guys.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’d either trade him for whatever or pay him. It just doesn’t make sense to trade for a player with a known contract issue and then try to strong-arm him. 

Hmm.

Why would the Jets trade him now? They can afford to sit tight and see how they do without him. 

Once the season starts, if we can’t get to the QB, Reddick gains leverage.  If one of our key edge guys gets hurt, Reddick gains leverage. 

Until then? I’d chill and see if he caves, unless you are telling me that he can be used to get Adams. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Drums said:

Is it really a big distraction though? He wasn’t on the team last year and our defense will be good either way. It’s like he doesn’t exist for the most part. 

But now you're minus Huff.

I really think far too many of you underestimate how disruptive Huff was.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t think there are too many ways around the cap in-season. As it is, they’ll have to re-do Adams’ deal next offseason because his cap charges are massive moving forward. Every vet contract is guaranteed on day one of the season and you can’t just scrub them off the books in November. 

Because they have three weeks to mount a Super Bowl run or everyone is getting fired, and Reddick is a game-changing pass rusher who can help them do that. There is no tomorrow for these guys.

- Not many, but there are.  Typically this is done with trades

- Nice argument.  It has zero substance behind it, but it’s better than what I’ve seen elsewhere.  Rebuttal: They were a top of the league defense with that unit playing 95% of the games while having to make up for the play of an offense led by Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle, and Trevor Siemien.  So tell me why I shouldn’t think that our offense AND defense won’t improve with Rodgers leading an offense that can take some pressure off an already elite defense?  Then, when you are done with that, try explaining why the Jets ABSOLUTELY need to give a luxury player, who will be 30 years old in a month, in Reddick a 4 or 5 years old deal at 25 million per, like he reportedly wants?

So the Jets wanted him to show up all offseason and they would convert what they could to up the 14.5 to a more desirable number. Then if they liked the way he was playing they were going to do an in season extension similar to JFM? Is that what Hughes said? What kind of extension?

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Hmm.

Why would the Jets trade him now? They can afford to sit tight and see how they do without him. 

Once the season starts, if we can’t get to the QB, Reddick gains leverage.  If one of our key edge guys gets hurt, Reddick gains leverage. 

Until then? I’d chill and see if he caves, unless you are telling me that he can be used to get Adams. 

They traded for him because they believed they needed him.  Otherwise they wouldn't have.  The people that keep saying he has no leverage don't want to believe the Jets were counting on to be an important piece in their pass rushing.  Not having that is a big deal.

And to say they can just sit tight and see how things play out - I say this is a short season.  You can go out and lose your first two games and all of a sudden your playoffs chances drop immensely.   A high end pass rusher can surly be the difference in wins and losses.

He has plenty of leverage.

42 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sounds like the perfect guy to franchise tag in a do or die season!

I thought it was bad to have a disgruntled player playing for your team. Or do you think Huff would have been happy with the tag? 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

They traded for him because they believed they needed him.  Otherwise they wouldn't have.  The people that keep saying he has no leverage don't want to believe the Jets were counting on to be an important piece in their pass rushing.  Not having that is a big deal.

And to say they can just sit tight and see how things play out - I say this is a short season.  You can go out and lose your first two games and all of a sudden your playoffs chances drop immensely.   A high end pass rusher can surly be the difference in wins and losses.

He doesn’t have any leverage until it is proven that we need him. 

so far, the pass rush looks excellent in camp. Let us get to 0-2 with a bad pass rush, and I’ll agree with you. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Remind me: where did the Jets defense finish in rank last year?

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Disagree. Are we a better team with him? 100%.

But he’s not a huge need and leaves us with a hole. We have JJ and Mac that could still start and produce. Along with arguably the best secondary, LB and DT groups in the nfl. This team isn’t a rotational DE from being good. We’re good anyway. And yes better with Reddick. But it isn’t him that would make us a difference between being a playoff team or not.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

Remind me where did the Jets defense finish in rank last year?

And now they're down one dominant pass rusher.

Losing Huff is a bigger deal than y'all seem to want to accept.   In order to maintain that level of defense it's clear they felt they needed someone to replace Huff's production.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He doesn’t have any leverage until it is proven that we need him. 

so far, the pass rush looks excellent in camp. Let us get to 0-2 with a bad pass rush, and I’ll agree with you. 

But at 0-2 it's probably too late.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But it isn’t him that would make us a difference between being a playoff team or not.

This is such a strange take. 

We don't know what role he'll play but he was brought in to play a pretty role in getting to the QB.  One or two wins is the difference in the playoffs or not.   He can surely be the reason we get in or not.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

This is such a strange take. 

We don't know what role he'll play but he was brought in to play a pretty role in getting to the QB.  One or two wins is the difference in the playoffs or not.   He can surely be the reason we get in or not.

That wasn’t a rank.

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

- Not many, but there are.  Typically this is done with trades

- Nice argument.  It has zero substance behind it, but it’s better than what I’ve seen elsewhere.  Rebuttal: They were a top of the league defense with that unit playing 95% of the games while having to make up for the play of an offense led by Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle, and Trevor Siemien.  So tell me why I shouldn’t think that our offense AND defense won’t improve with Rodgers leading an offense that can take some pressure off an already elite defense?  Then, when you are done with that, try explaining why the Jets ABSOLUTELY need to give a luxury player, who will be 30 years old in a month, in Reddick a 4 or 5 years old deal at 25 million per, like he reportedly wants?

Well, for one, they had a lot of depth on the DL last season and now that depth is starting and the new depth guys just got steamrolled up and down a football field by a tanking Commanders team. The defense will be good this year, but if they have designs in winning playoff games, I’m not sure you’d want Michael Clemons and Jalyn Holmes rushing the passer in big spots over someone like Reddick.

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But now you're minus Huff.

I really think far too many of you underestimate how disruptive Huff was.

I LOVED Huff but they drafted 1st round DEs two years in a row and the defensive coaches are proven. We should hopefully be playing with a lead for the first time in forever with top tier pass coverage that will generate sacks on its own (even did so last year). I’m not going to freak out just yet. 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Losing Huff is a bigger deal than y'all seem to want to accept.   In order to maintain that level of defense it's clear they felt they needed someone to replace Huff's production.

Having Huff or a Reddick is a massive part of keeping double teams off big q, which allows us to have a truly organic pass rush with 4. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Drums said:

I LOVED Huff but they drafted 1st round DEs two years in a row and the defensive coaches are proven. We should hopefully be playing with a lead for the first time in forever with top tier pass coverage that will generate sacks on its own (even did so last year). I’m not going to freak out just yet. 

Look.  I loved Huff too.  And I get everything you're saying.

But when you go out and spend $15mm and a 3rd/2rd draft pick on a guy it tells me you do believe it's important piece.

Had they done nothing big at the position I wouldn't have had a problem it.  But they did and there's a reason for it.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe. We have a situational pass rusher that was drafted in the first round 2 seasons ago. People want to act like reddick was brought in because McDonald isnt panning out. Mcdonald will have a role similar to Huff's role last year. We really dont know what he is at this point. Just like we didnt know what JJ was last year. Reddick was brought in to be another piece of the rotation. A very good piece that can play every down. You need to remember that this staff and front office is on the hot seat. Adding reddick on a 1 year, no strings attached deal for a 2026 draft pick was just making this team even stronger. Just like the 1 year deal for Mike Williams and the 1 year deal for Tyron smith. None of these guys are long term options, these guys were brought in to help this team this year. These guys were brought in to save jobs. These guys were brought in to help get this team over the hump. Huff would have impacted this team long term with a lot of guys coming up for contracts. Reddick would have no impact on this team as far as the cap goes in 2025. 

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Maybe. We have a situational pass rusher that was drafted in the first round 2 seasons ago. People want to act like reddick was brought in because McDonald isnt panning out. Mcdonald will have a role similar to Huff's role last year. We really dont know what he is at this point. Just like we didnt know what JJ was last year. Reddick was brought in to be another piece of the rotation. A very good piece that can play every down. You need to remember that this staff and front office is on the hot seat. Adding reddick on a 1 year, no strings attached deal for a 2026 draft pick was just making this team even stronger. Just like the 1 year deal for Mike Williams and the 1 year deal for Tyron smith. None of these guys are long term options, these guys were brought in to help this team this year. These guys were brought in to save jobs. These guys were brought in to help get this team over the hump. Huff would have impacted this team long term with a lot of guys coming up for contracts. Reddick would have no impact on this team as far as the cap goes in 2025. 

All of this might be true.

But it also supports the fact that the GM felt like he needed him to save his job.

All I've been saying is Reddick has leverage and that leverage is the Jets need to win and he was an important piece of their plan.

• Haha 1