Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My guess is would have been willing...but Ultimately whether he's "willing" or not is irrelevant:  He'll have to show up to play for the Jets no later than Week 6 or else they run this situation back next year (when he'll be entering his year 31 season) OR maybe by then he forces a trade (perhaps with a new Jets regime calling the shots?) to a THIRD franchise that may not be willing to pay him, either.

This

Still feels like Reddick will have to report at some point.

I don’t see the incentive to grant him a trade unless the edge position gets the injury bug 

• Upvote 2

No I never said that... I said he is a learning gm and he has built a championship roster over time... The jets haven't had a kicker problem in years... I gave an example of one of the first problems people had with him... 
Is it a problem now? 

No congrats on finding one of the easiest positions at the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably not.  I think the Jets balked at Danielle Hunter numbers and wanted to wait as long as possible to talk extension.  Reddick's camp probably assumed it would be re-visited in the summer, NOT pushed to the end of the season.  

Then that's a Woody issue then. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

No congrats on finding one of the easiest positions at the NFL.

It was my first example...

Exactly my point.... No credit for building a roster that we are all excited to see contend... You just sh*t on the Jets to sh*t on the Jets... A troll.. 

Whether you like it or not with a hof QB and one of the best backups in the league, this team can make deep run into the playoffs... 

But let's fire the guy that put that roster together... Now if somehow they fail.. It's a different story.. 

You obviously have an agenda... It just doesn't need to be spewed in every thread

• Upvote 1

Exactly my point.... No credit for building a roster that we are all excited to see contend... You just sh*t on the Jets to sh*t on the Jets... A troll.. 
Whether you like it or not with a hof QB and one of the best backups in the league, this team can make deep run into the playoffs... 
But let's fire the guy that put that roster together... Now if somehow they fail.. It's a different story.. 
You obviously have an agenda... It just doesn't need to be spewed in every thread

I’m not saying to fire him right now but facts are facts. Out of GMs that have been here more than 1 years, he has only a better winning percentage than Rich Kotite and Al Ward. I hope they win. I hope it works out. I’m sick of losing. The Jets have been on the perpetual rebuild since the 2016 season. They need to win this year and then give him a 3 year extension for all I care.

1 minute ago, mfmartin said:

I’m not saying to fire him right now but facts are facts. Out of GMs that have been here more than 1 years, he has only a better winning percentage than Rich Kotite and Al Ward. I hope they win. I hope it works out. I’m sick of losing. The Jets have been on the perpetual rebuild since the 2016 season. They need to win this year and then give him a 3 year extension for all I care.

Record in the beginning of career doesn't exactly tell the whole truth... As I keep stating Belicheck was 36-44 with the browns... 

The he was fired... Because he didn't retain Kosar... And went from 11-5 to 5-11...

Qb changes everything.... We got short changed last year

• Upvote 1

Record in the beginning of career doesn't exactly tell the whole truth... As I keep stating Belicheck was 36-44 with the browns... 
The he was fired... Because he didn't retain Kosar... And went from 11-5 to 5-11...
Qb changes everything.... We got short changed last year

If Douglas trips over the next Brady and they win 6 championships, I’ll personally build his big ass a statue outside of Florham park.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mfmartin said:

If Douglas trips over the next Brady and they win 6 championships, I’ll personally build his big ass a statue outside of Florham park.

Was Kosar - Brady?  Was Bledsoe - Brady... I am not talking dynasty I was giving an example of why record doesn't tell the whole story... Don't ignore that

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

The part I don’t understand is why not show up, have the conversation and most likely within a day or two you know if it is acceptable or not

if not acceptable, leave

i just don’t get it and have to think this is his agents driving him

Sounds good in theory. But not sure I’ve ever seen a player show up and then leave at this stage. For him to report he either caves. Or we give him guarantees to get him to report.

• Upvote 2

Was Kosar - Brady?  Was Bledsoe - Brady... I am not talking dynasty I was giving an example of why record doesn't tell the whole story... Don't ignore that

I mean the game was different then. The NFL didn’t even have free agency until the last two years of his tenure. So to use a historical outlier and say see it’s could happen with Douglas is just wishful thinking imo.

It’s like saying Drew Brees struggled for years so Zach Wilson could be good.

• Thumb Down 1

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly I don't mean to keep repeating this.

His leverage is the Jets want him.  They wouldn't have traded for him if they didn't want him on the team. 

It really isn't that complicated.   

He has leverage. Jets have leverage. Jets leverage is more than Reddick's. It really isn't that complicated.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He has to show up by week 7, and then for 10 games he'd be playing for a LOT less.

• The $2MM for not showing up to preseason workouts & practices is just the starter.
  • Then apparently he'd be getting fined the value of a full contractual regular season game check for each of the 3 preseason games missed (even though in reality he'd have barely played in the first two, and not at all in the 3rd, it's designed to be punitive). At $838K a pop, that's about another $2.5MM.
  • Then he'd be forgoing more game checks for holding out the first 6 games, which adds another $5MM. 
  • $2MM + $2.5MM = $4.5MM in fines, plus $5MM forfeited game checks = $9.5MM total income lost.
    • what's so stupid about it is he wouldn't have been subject to the first $4.5MM if he'd just shown up & refused to do anything.

So instead of playing 17 games & showing up to offseason workouts/minicamp/OTAs for $15MM, he could end up playing 10 games (perhaps suiting up for week 7 but not playing much in it, so say really playing the last 9 games) for just $5.5MM in 2024, before taxes that of course drop it down to about $3MM.

Then absent going on a 2-4 game postseason tear, if he finishes those 8-9 remaining starts with maybe 4-5 sacks, he also won't sniff the $25MM+/year he's now seeking, which he might very well have gotten if he played out this final contract year at $15MM and had his usual 13-sack season. Maybe his next UFA contract is then another $13-15MM/year + incentives instead of the $25-28MM with 2-3 years guaranteed that he's seeking (and with another 13-sack season might've actually gotten after another year of going-rate UFA inflation). All in, this holdout could end up costing him upwards of $50MM when the dust all settles. 

Reddick has played this very, very badly and bluffed with cards the Jets knew he wasn't holding because there are no hole cards here -- as a DL on a team that makes a point of rotating its DL like crazy, he just doesn't have the leverage of a CeeDee Lamb or Trent Williams and never did, and this GM already refused to tag Huff before he knew someone like Reddick would be available via low-cost trade on a below-market contract.

If I can see the above then you can bet so can a high-end agent (otherwise he'd be fired already for misreading things so badly). So I half-think Reddick was/is not taking his agent's advice -- i.e. this holdout was the client's idea despite his agent's better judgment, and Reddick doing and/or saying the wrong things like this is perhaps why he's been signing under-market contracts while their other clients get market or above-market deals up to now. 

Exactly. Jets aren't caving here. They've got no reason to. Either Reddick shows up week 7 at a VASTLY reduced cost or he shows up week 1, tail between his legs. If they caved they'd need to pay him, essentially, an extra 14m just to make sure he shows up weeks 1-6 (say they gave him 18.5M for the year to make him happier). They're just not doing that. 

• Upvote 3

It's an all-in year with a QB closer to 41 than he is to 40.

Reddick knows the Jets need him, too, but the Jets have him over a barrel.

He has no options other than to no-show and continue to pile up fines, or to straight-up retire.

That something wasn't hammered out during trade negotiations is absurd.

A seasoned GM like Joe Douglas should know better.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It's an all-in year with a QB closer to 41 than he is to 40.

Reddick knows the Jets need him, too, but the Jets have him over a barrel.

He has no options other than to no-show and continue to pile up fines, or to straight-up retire.

That something wasn't hammered out during trade negotiations is absurd.

A seasoned GM like Joe Douglas should know better.

Him supposedly agreeing to play for the Jets on his current deal doesn’t make much sense. Douglas trading for him after he declined the offer they made also doesn’t make much sense. There was some kind of huge miscommunication here.

Or if you’re a Jets fan it’s Reddick is a dirty liar. If you’re not a Jets fan it’s Douglas being a clueless GM. We may never know.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Exactly. It's time to acknowledge who the real problem is in this holdout and it's...:checks notes:...the fans.

Nah. It’s just moths to the SOJ flame. Spamming the top of the board with repetitious hot take after repetitious hot take with a few trolls thrown in for good measure.  I assume at least 50% of Jets fans masturbate while sobbing. Never seen a group that gets off so hard on their own misery. 

• Haha 2

Who cares?

We don't need him.  Let him sit out while Jets save $.  Maybe trade him if a nice opportunity comes up.  Or let him cave and come back needing to perform for his next contract. 

All wins for Jets.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

If there is one thing that I hang my hat on this team is for Ulbrich to generate pressure. It has been the ONLY and I mean ONLY consistent hallmark of this regime. 

Bottom three offense?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

How about we wait to see this team perform on the field, in regular season games, before we crown this a play-off caliber roster?

I'm all for optimisim, but good grief.

A roster is just a piece of paper with a bunch of names on it.

How good a team will be, is determined by coaching & the team's performance on the field - during regular season games that actually matter.

Not by fans waving pom-poms in the off-season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

How about we wait to see them perform on the field, in regular seeason games, before we crown this a play-off caliber roster?

I'm all for optimisim, but good grief.

I mean they were 7-10 with the worst QB play in the league by far. You don't think upgrading Aaron Rodgers adds at least 3 wins? Most analysts rank the Jets as a playoff team and many are calling them a Superbowl contender.

It's not just Jets fans saying this stuff. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean they were 7-10 with the worst QB play in the league by far. You don't think upgrading Aaron Rodgers adds at least 3 wins? Most analysts rank the Jets as a playoff team and many are calling them a Superbowl contender.

It's not just Jets fans saying this stuff. 

@Barry McCockinner

I absolutely do - IF Rodgers stays healthy and the health of our O-Line, will also go a long way to determining how much better we will be this season.

None of that is a slam dunk.

T-Smith, M. Moses, AVT all coming off of injuries last season, as is Rodgers.

We all want the Jets to win, I'm just keeping my expectations in check.

33 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Nah. It’s just moths to the SOJ flame. Spamming the top of the board with repetitious hot take after repetitious hot take with a few trolls thrown in for good measure.  I assume at least 50% of Jets fans masturbate while sobbing. Never seen a group that gets off so hard on their own misery. 

Misery is the only thing the Jets have given fans.

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

@Barry McCockinner

I absolutely do - IF Rodgers stays healthy and the health of our O-Line, will also go a long way to determining how much better we will be this season.

None of that is a slam dunk.

T-Smith, M. Moses, AVT all coming off of injuries last season, as is Rodgers.

We all want the Jets to win, I'm just keeping my expectations in check.

I agree it's heavily reliant on guys staying healthy, but the point is calling it a playoff roster is perfectly reasonable. It is. On paper.

injuries happen

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I agree it's heavily reliant on guys staying healthy, but the point is calling it a playoff roster is perfectly reasonable. It is. On paper.

injuries happen

This is just my opinion of course, but it's not a play-off roster, until the team actually makes it into the playoffs.

That seems reasonable to me.

Have I set the bar too high?

If you want to say that on paper, we have a much improved roster, I would agree with that.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Do you have any evidence/support for this claim? If not, then it would be smarter not to make it up.  Huff was going to be a FA after the season.  Pretty tough to trade a player in that position.  Reddick has a year left on his contract.

What do you mean? We all knew the team wasn't winning sh*t last year. He dropped the ball by losing Huff for absolutely nothing

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This is just my opinion of course, but it's not a play-off roster, until the team actually makes it into the playoffs.

That seems reasonable to me.

Have I set the bar too high?

If you want to say that on paper, we have a much improved roster, I would agree with that.

The phrase "on paper" is often used in sports to describe how a team looks based on their lineup, statistics, or other objective factors before actually seeing them play in a game or season. When someone says a team looks good "on paper," they mean that, based on the players' individual talents, past performances, and other measurable attributes, the team should theoretically perform well.

However, "on paper" implies that this assessment doesn't always translate to actual performance. A team might look strong based on their roster, but factors like team chemistry, injuries, coaching, and other unpredictable elements can affect their real-world success. So, saying a team is good "on paper" often carries an implication that while the team has potential, the true outcome is yet to be seen.

• Upvote 1

• It is obviously sub-professional for a GM to trade for a player who has contract issues.   There was obviously serious miscommunication issues.  This point has been made many times above. 
  • I think there is also obviously some opportunitism on the part of Reddick, seeing that the Jets are a win now team with a FO in lame duck years (see below).   Reddick is trying to take advantage of that, which is very unseemly.  Woody should not have set up this situation through. 
  • Reddick has obviously mismanaged his career.   He can’t expect the Jets to make up for it though. 
  • Woody has really boxed himself in here with JD and Saleh.  If the Jets have a good year this year, there is nothing stopping them from going to the next team that needs a new FO.   These contracts are expected to always have an extra year-GMs and HCs seldom work in the last year of their contract.    If you fire them you pay for an extra year, less what someone else rehires them for.   When you fire guys like Maccagnan, Gase and Bowles (not HC $), you eat a lot of money.   So Woody here was betting that he was more likely to fire these guys (and save the money) than extend them.  I don’t know how right that was.   I would have added an extra year and then renegotiated if they did well. 
  •  Yes, there have been Leveon Bell situations, but more often than not, when athletes demand a trade, they get traded.   There is a funny owner/player dynamic that really discourages players being forced to play where they don’t want to play, contract or not.  Conservative Woody seems to have missed this.  This could get uglier as things move forward.
  • But if I am JD/Woody, I am offering Reddick two choices:
    • Come back, with a guaranteed contract, waiveable finds waived, incentives to help him earn his fine back, and an agreement not to franchise tag him in 2025, or
    • Contact other teams for a reasonable trade, and if someone offers the Jets a 2026 3rd round pick or better (that upsizes for playing time like they would owe the Eagles), the Jets should just move on from him.  I don’t know whether a team does not, but maybe a team like the Lions gives Reddick what he wants.  
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The phrase "on paper" is often used in sports to describe how a team looks based on their lineup, statistics, or other objective factors before actually seeing them play in a game or season. When someone says a team looks good "on paper," they mean that, based on the players' individual talents, past performances, and other measurable attributes, the team should theoretically perform well.

However, "on paper" implies that this assessment doesn't always translate to actual performance. A team might look strong based on their roster, but factors like team chemistry, injuries, coaching, and other unpredictable elements can affect their real-world success. So, saying a team is good "on paper" often carries an implication that while the team has potential, the true outcome is yet to be seen.

And that is 100% where the Jets stand right now.