Chad Pennington isn't on the Jets anymore

38 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

every year he was healthy (including with the fins) his team made the playoffs.  

Not true

the team went 4-12 in 2007 and he was benched for Kellen Clemens (although he was way better than Clemens)

3 hours ago, Icer said:

Best Jets QB of my lifetime. Fitzpatrick was a good tease too

At least with Fitzpatrick, you knew at the time that he was an aging veteran who had bounced around and that it could just be a flash in the pan. 

2002 was Pennington’s first year starting and 3rd in the league, overall. If you had polled Jets fans coming out of the Meadowlands after we thrashed Indy 41-0 in the playoffs, I wonder what percentage of them would have believed that Chad wouldn’t be the QB here by 2008? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

At least with Fitzpatrick, you knew at the time that he was an aging veteran who had bounced around and that it could just be a flash in the pan. 

2002 was Pennington’s first year starting and 3rd in the league, overall. If you had polled Jets fans coming out of the Meadowlands after we thrashed Indy 41-0 in the playoffs, I wonder what percentage of them would have believed that Chad wouldn’t be the QB here by 2008? 

Every expert i. The nfl was saying he was the closest thing they had seen to joe montana.  He was fantastic.

Then he broke his wrist the following preseason which set him back.

And the that fateful day in buffalo when the shoulder went.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Not true

the team went 4-12 in 2007 and he was benched for Kellen Clemens (although he was way better than Clemens)

What a train wreck of a season.  I remember Mangina not letting Vilma disclose to the media which leg he broke😁

no wonder 32 NFL franchises won’t give him a mop job

9 hours ago, Icer said:

Best Jets QB of my lifetime. Fitzpatrick was a good tease too

Vinny in 1998 is by far and away the best season of any Jets quarterback I have ever seen.  Chad had a fairly decent career.  Fitz was a mirage and it didn’t take long for him to get exposed 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Vinny in 1998 is by far and away the best season of any Jets quarterback I have ever seen.  Chad had a fairly decent career.  Fitz was a mirage and it didn’t take long for him to get exposed 

Vinny in 98 was magic.

• Upvote 1

Chad was a good QB. And proved it after the Jets got rid of him for Favre. He had a good year I think he was actually second in MVP voting that season. But he didn't have a big arm some of our wonderful fans called him noodle arm. But he could run an NFL offense smartly. But Jets fans always wanted a big arm as franchise QB. So when they drafted Zach Jets fans got what they always wished for. Except for one thing. Zach wasn't as good a player as Chad was. He couldn't effectively and consistently run an offense and Chad could even though he had a noodle arm. 
His arm was plenty strong enough coming out of school ... Not a bazooka .. but not the noodle it became. It was the wrist, collarbone and rotator cuff injuries that did him in. I remember how dramatically his throwing motion changed ... Just looked a little awkward after the surgeries.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

On 7/27/2024 at 5:48 AM, southparkcpa said:

We were never going to beat the Patriots in the next game. They manhandled PITT.   But yes... no one was more pissed than me how Herm fukked that game up.   The pick 6 to end the 1st half had me screaming in my #12 jersey in a bar in Atlanta.

Probably not, but what often gets forgotten/overlooked is that had we won that game the AFC Championship Game would have been played in Foxboro instead of in Pitt, and MA got hit with something like 2 feet of snow that Sunday. Game would have been played in a blizzard and we had the league’s best rushing attack that year. NE was for sure the better team but the weather would have given us a much better shot. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Vinny in 98 was magic.

Vinny in 98 was fantastic the team let him down in the AFCCG vs Denver after that kickoff that was blown backwards from the high winds the team went right in the toilet and that team was stacked with Talent then came the dumb move trading Keyshawn which would not have been so dumb if the team would have replaced him with a big possession WR but they didn't . The combo os Keyshawn and Chrebet were the ultimate chain movers 

On 7/27/2024 at 12:24 PM, hawk said:

Wish he was...

A great mind to have in the building.  Maybe someday he will try his hand in coaching, front office. 

If he hasent done it by now Im not sure he ever will

21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Every expert i. The nfl was saying he was the closest thing they had seen to joe montana.  He was fantastic.

Then he broke his wrist the following preseason which set him back.

And the that fateful day in buffalo when the shoulder went.

Sadly, Chad just didn’t have the body to have a long career in the NFL. He definitely had the mind and maturity, however 

40 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

At least with Chad you had confidence when he came out of the huddle and called the plays and it felt that he was in charge and he knew what he was doing... We haven't had that in a while. 

I loved Pennington when he had that breakout season. I thought we had the next Joe Montana. I own an authentic Pennington jersey. As it's already been stated, injuries ruined his career. I'll never forget the still image of the broken wrist where all the bones in his hand snapped in half and made a mini teepee. Horrific. He could have been great. 

He seems like a really down to earth guy and I had always hoped he would end up a coach on the Jets staff. I still wear his jersey on occasion. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

after that horrific hand injury during the preseason in (03 ? ) he was never the same then came all the throwing arm issues/injuries that basically destroyed his career. 

I just mentioned that. The still image of his hand being bent in half backwards was brutal 🤢 

On 7/27/2024 at 7:30 PM, PFSIKH said:

Noodle arm.  I fondly remember the Brady vs  Chad debates.  😜

There are people on here who probably still believe Chad would've been the better player had he stayed completely healthy.

• Upvote 1

Chad, more durable than Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers in a Jets uniform.  Bart Starr will always be the best QB in Packer history simply because he never put on a Jets uniform.  

• Haha 2

Only Jets QB I know whose fastball was (reportedly) 5-10 MPH faster every offseason for what seemed like 7 or 8 years.

Chad was good but his body was not built for the game as played at this level.

Does he still hold records for multiple comeback player of the year wins?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Chad was good but his body was not built for the game as played at this level.

Well said.  Perfect description. 

Chad had the arm talent (i.e. accuracy, touch, enough strength to be fine originally) and more importantly the brains and decision making to be a very good (not great) NFL QB. 

But his body was built to play MLB, not in the NFL.  He might have been a great relief pitcher in an alternate life, but he was never going to survive being an NFL QB with his arm and body.  Too bad.

We were never going to beat the Patriots in the next game. They manhandled PITT.   But yes... no one was more pissed than me how Herm fukked that game up.   The pick 6 to end the 1st half had me screaming in my #12 jersey in a bar in Atlanta.

Probably so....but a part of me thinks it may have been possible.... Reason being..... If you recall..... There was a tremendous blizzard in Foxborough that day and had we beat Pitt, the game would have been played there.... We were the number one rushing team in the league that year..... With that much snow, funny plays occur.

• Upvote 3

This.

The 2004 Jets team was a paper tiger. 

The only notable winning team they beat was San Diego and - despite all the names on their roster - really they didn't beat anyone that year either, led by their own career paper tiger of a HC.

21 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Probably not, but what often gets forgotten/overlooked is that had we won that game the AFC Championship Game would have been played in Foxboro instead of in Pitt, and MA got hit with something like 2 feet of snow that Sunday. Game would have been played in a blizzard and we had the league’s best rushing attack that year. NE was for sure the better team but the weather would have given us a much better shot. 

3 hours ago, greasyt said:

Probably so....but a part of me thinks it may have been possible.... Reason being..... If you recall..... There was a tremendous blizzard in Foxborough that day and had we beat Pitt, the game would have been played there.... We were the number one rushing team in the league that year..... With that much snow, funny plays occur.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

The only notable winning team they beat was San Diego and - despite all the names on their roster - really they didn't beat anyone that year either, led by their own career paper tiger of a HC.

Snow storm or not.. Chad's arm was falling off his body.  CMart was near the end.. etc.  I just don't see it.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Snow storm or not.. Chad's arm was falling off his body.  CMart was near the end.. etc.  I just don't see it.

Our offensive line had also aged out.  Fabini was done.  Mawae got old and was never going to play for Mangini. We let Mackenzie go and replaced him with a nothing

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

They should have beaten the Steelers at Pittsburgh in the playoffs but Doug Brien had other ideas

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

IDK, they had a really good defense and were rolling before Chad got hurt.

That team was also very close to beating NE in Foxborough earlier in the year (got hosed on a BS rouging call on Brady at the end of the first half that let NE score in a tie game and lost 13-7 for their first loss of the year after starting 5-0). 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, greasyt said:

We also gave the Pats a great game earlier in the year in Foxborough. Lost 13-7 and got hosed on a huge roughing call. Could have easily won. Started the year 5-0. Had an excellent defense. 

but Chad couldn’t throw the ball by the end of that Pitt game. His arm was dead. 

I think we would have lost, sadly