Be ready for a new regime in 2025

I am still of the camp that believes Joe Douglas survives if we do not make a deep playoff run, especially after the offseason he just had. The Reddick situation is a blemish though but his offseason was already “complete” independent of that deal, which was more of a cherry on top.

I don’t think Woody Johnson likes Saleh AT ALL and the tea leaves since his personal Brexit return to the U-S-A has indicated as such.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I am still of the camp that believes Joe Douglas survives if we do not make a deep playoff run, especially after the offseason he just had. The Reddick situation is a blemish though but his offseason was already “complete” independent of that deal, which was more of a cherry on top.

I don’t think Woody Johnson likes Saleh AT ALL and the tea leaves since his personal Brexit return to the U-S-A has indicated as such.

The comments woody made about saleh coaching the entire team are strong.  Zach only delayed any evaluation of saleh b/c nobody was winning with him anyway.  It’s easy to see a scenario where douglas stays and saleh goes though it’s not typical. 

• Upvote 1

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh haven't received extensions to date.  This isn't accidental, it's intentional.

The pressure is on to produce.  I'm not sure if there is officially a playoff mandate behind closed doors, but it wouldn't be surprising at all.  It's time to start producing wins.  I don't think Douglas or Saleh survive another losing season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Joe Douglas' record as an NFL General Manager:

2019 -- 7-9
2020 -- 2-14
2021 -- 4-13
2022 -- 7-10
2023 -- 7-10
2024 -- TBD

Total -- 27-56, or .325 winning percentage.

No NFL Owner would extend a GM with a 5-year .325 winning percentage, no playoff seasons, and 4 strait double-digit loss seasons. 

Not one in the entire league would do that.  

Fans may excuse the first couple years because of goggle-eyes, or excuse the middle years because of "one bad pick" in Wilson, or say he has built a great team (on paper) for 2024, etc. 

Doesn't matter, the only thing likely to matter is how this team performs on the field in 2024.

Win, and JD could get extended.  Win enough, and he likely will be.

Lose, and there is almost no chance a 6-year losing record GM will get an extension.  

This has been obvious, when you look at JD's moves, they lean heavily to "win now" in 2023 and now in 2024.  He knows his future here is on the line, even if a portion of the fanbase convinces themselves it isn't.  

The bad picks were obviously at LT and qb and that’s usually enough to get a gm fired.  The only reason douglas is still here is b/c woody wants to play out the rodgers experiment.  Whether that does well enough to buy douglas an extension and another shot at a franchise qb, well we’ll see

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2019 -- 7-9
2020 -- 2-14
2021 -- 4-13
2022 -- 7-10
2023 -- 7-10
2024 -- TBD

No NFL Owner would extend a GM with a 5-year .325 winning percentage, no playoff seasons, and 4 strait double-digit loss seasons. 

Fans may excuse the first couple years because of goggle-eyes, or excuse the middle years because of "one bad pick" in Wilson, or say he has built a great team (on paper) for 2024, etc. 

Doesn't matter, the only thing likely to matter is how this team performs on the field in 2024.

Lose, and there is almost no chance a 6-year losing record GM will get an extension.  

This has been obvious, when you look at JD's moves, they lean heavily to "win now" in 2023 and now in 2024.  He knows his future here is on the line, even if a portion of the fanbase convinces themselves it isn't.  

I've been largely pro-JD but yes, its put-up or shut up time.  Handing the keys to the franchise to Zach Wilson for 2 years and then the unquestioned QB2 job in year 3 were fireable offenses on their own - only reason I hesitated at the time on this was because of the Woody Johnson influence (however much he was involved in those decisions), which is still hard to figure out.

That said the roster is still very exciting and I'd be willing to give JD a modest extension if we can generate 10 wins this season and finally end the postseason drought.  Next, fire Saleh and promote Ulbrich, lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've been largely pro-JD but yes, its put-up or shut up time.  Handing the keys to the franchise to Zach Wilson for 2 years and then the unquestioned QB2 job in year 3 were fireable offenses on their own - only reason I hesitated at the time on this was because of the Woody Johnson influence (however much he was involved in those decisions), which is still hard to figure out.

That said the roster is still very exciting and I'd be willing to give JD a modest extension if we can generate 10 wins this season and finally end the postseason drought.  Next, fire Saleh and promote Ulbrich, lol.

If the roster is very exciting, well that’s all the gm.  But, since most of a gm’s evaluation is finding competent qbs you can have that kind of a roster and still suck.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2019 -- 7-9
2020 -- 2-14
2021 -- 4-13
2022 -- 7-10
2023 -- 7-10
2024 -- TBD

Delusional fan base.

• Thumb Down 2

jets make playoffs this year no problem 10 wins minimum maybe 11/12 - regardless of how far they go in playoffs it’s enough to ensure the front office/ coaching staff returns - and an era of sustainable success for nyjets begins…. sorry for all you whiney miserable people who don’t see it - i’m going to enjoy this year without you!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the roster is very exciting, well that’s all the gm.  But, since most of a gm’s evaluation is finding competent qbs you can have that kind of a roster and still suck.  

And the MOST frustrating part of the Zach Wilson era was the unwillingness to bring in alternative competent QBs when they were there for the taking and waste a couple years.  Jacoby Brissett or Gardner Minshew gets us to the playoffs last year, for instance.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And the MOST frustrating part of the Zach Wilson era was the unwillingness to bring in alternative competent QBs when they were there for the taking and waste a couple years.  Jacoby Brissett or Gardner Minshew gets us to the playoffs last year, for instance.

Yes. With qbs you can usually tell right away if a qb has it or not.  I was a mccarthy fan and you can see he has it.  He won’t suck.  He can play the position competently imo.  With wilson the guy was bouncing screen passes.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes. With qbs you can usually tell right away if a qb has it or not.  I was a mccarthy fan and you can see he has it.  He won’t suck.  He can play the position competently imo.  With wilson the guy was bouncing screen passes.  

He should have been Josh Rosen'd.  But Jets gotta Jet.  

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because they had a Geno-esque dream. 

If Douglas thought he was in jeopardy I think he'd just throw a bag of $$$ at Reddick and get him in here.  Douglas believes he'll still be here and need to manage the Cap and execute the extensions for guys like Sauce, JJ, Garrett Wilson, etc. that he drafted.

The key question is whether Wood trusts JD to draft a QB given the colossal flub made with Zach.  If Rodgers is on his way out and the Jets don't do very well this year, I think Woody hits Ctrl-Alt-Del on the whole thing.

The guy most under the microscope will be (and should be) Saleh.  Even without Reddick, the Jets now have enough talent to win 11 or 12 games.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Joe has been brutally bad-his record shows this-sure they have some good players when you are a top the draft every year you should be able to hit on a few players-there was not much skill in picking wilson or sauce-my nephew could have done that

his ultimate demise is his horrible handling of the QB position-his entire tenure at QB has been a disaster -and now he hitched his wagon to a 40 year old coming off a major injury -

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, kmnj said:

Joe has been brutally bad-his record shows this-sure they have some good players when you are a top the draft every year you should be able to hit on a few players-there was not much skill in picking wilson or sauce-my nephew could have done that

his ultimate demise is his horrible handling of the QB position-his entire tenure at QB has been a disaster -and now he hitched his wagon to a 40 year old coming off a major injury -

Belicheck was 36-44 in 4 years at Browns before being fired... How did that turn out... You think browns wished they kept him... Just a comparison of how the record doesn't show the whole story.. Not comparing them. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I dread to think of the next puppet GM/head coach Trustfund Baby Woody handpicks.

That's the most compelling and all encompassing fact regarding the Jets.  I don't believe that the Jets will fair poorly on the field this year.  Quite the contrary.  If Rodgers stays on the field, I'd all but guarantee an AFC East title and a nice playoff run.   That being said, if the Jets flame out for ANY reason the current regime is gone.   Perhaps, before the end of the 2024 season in the very unlikely event that they make a total mess of things.  BUT... A new regime does not mean better times ahead.  As you point out, any new GM or HC combo is going to be selected by the trust find twit.  The only thing common to the Jets world record playoff drought is, you guessed it.  The trust fund twit himself.  Anyone that expects good football decisions from a guy that wants both the GM and the HC under his inept thumb has not been watching too closely. 

• Upvote 1