Thoughts on Michael Clemons

He sux at rushing the passer but is an ok run stuffer.   According to my You Tube guy, BJF, he only had 8 pressures last years as compared to JFM who had something like 240.  The coaches seem to like him but my guy says he is or should be on the 53 bubble. 

Ah for the good old days when we were rostering JMF and Huff.  Go Jets!  

15 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

He sucks but he's a rotational piece, no biggie. 

The problem is that, right now, he's the starter at end opposite JJ.

Neither Clemons nor McDonald is up to starting at that spot - the Jets really need to get Reddick into camp and onto the field. 

• Upvote 3

The Jets would be better off replacing him with one of the rookie UDFAs that show upside, but they won’t.   He is a draft pick and veteran for a team looking to avoid rookie mistakes.  He will not get a second contract.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

JFM is a much better player though. Clemons is a solid depth piece but to rely on him a a starter is not ideal. He'll be the weak link and targeted if he's starting for us.

This. Clemons isn't bad, he's just a solid backup. Which is a fine outcome for a 4th round pick

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets would be better off replacing him with one of the rookie UDFAs that show upside, but they won’t.   He is a draft pick and veteran for a team looking to avoid rookie mistakes.  He will not get a second contract.  

I believe Clemons is on the bubble. A few years ago, he would have made the team no issues. But this is one of the best units in the NFL, and the key is depth. The Jets can afford to keep one of the UDFA, Takk or Holmes that shows more potential than a lumbering pass rusher.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

The problem is that, right now, he's the starter at end opposite JJ.

Neither Clemons nor McDonald is up to starting at that spot - the Jets really need to get Reddick into camp and onto the field. 

He's not a starter.  If he was, he wouldnt have played in the preseason as much as he has, it seems to me the coaching staff is making him earn his downs and figure out if he can play end at the level they want. My assumption is he'll get a few looks at DE but mostly play inside and I'd be surprised if he sees more than 40% of the snaps on the season.  

My guess, first down of the season vs. the 49ers the DL will be JJ, Q.Will, Kinlaw, Thomas w/ Willy McD coming in on passing downs.  The one thing I trust this coaching staff w/ is the DL, they know Clemons sucks.  

• Upvote 3

He is playing par for his draft position. Rotational player in a group that rotates more than most. Not ideal, but OK. Seems like the team has brought in a number of options on the DL, maybe they recognize a place to improve. 

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Have you ever said those words about a Jets player while they're still on the Jets?

Yes 

But other than a GWilson or Sauce type I don’t talk about how great they are. 
Why do you care?  I don’t go over the top either way on players while you do your usual well see discussing players.  
BTW, last time I checked, Clemons is still on the Jets

32 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

He's not a starter.  If he was, he wouldnt have played in the preseason as much as he has, it seems to the coaching staff is making him earn his downs and figure out if he can play end at the level they want. My assumption is he'll get a few looks at DE but mostly play inside and I'd be surprised if he sees more than 40% of the snaps on the season.  

My guess, first down of the season vs. the 49ers the DL will be JJ, Q.Will, Kinlaw, Thomas w/ Willy McD coming in on passing downs.  The one thing I trust this coaching staff w/ is the DL, they know Clemons sucks.  

I hadn't considered Solly Thomas as a potential starter at end.  The Jets clearly do like him and value him, but they've tended to use him as a rotational piece inside rather than on the edge. Interesting thought.  He's definitely a better player than Clemons.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

His failure to put on weight in the off-season is concerning. Until he can adequately play the run he's just a situational pass rusher. Obviously that's not why you take a guy in the first.

Too early to call him a bust though

Of course, having AR on year one and not focusing on the offense with that pick was a crime.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Larz said:

So this is the new tippmanns snap catastrophe 

have fun !   

There is a big difference, Tippman was always going to make the team. It's the "Henny Pennys" of the Jets fandom that cried "He is no good!"

Clemons was on the bubble from the start of training camp. This is a deep unit, and people can make the argument the best in the league. So in other words he is expendible. 

2 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

This fan base needs to stop being so naively positive about everything related to this team.  Wait until you are actually shown something on game day.  It becomes the same thing with every player.

lol, of course you are correct, game performance will validate opinions, but for now we can only speculate, estimate and project, IMO better than threads on Stop Using Lube.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I hadn't considered Solly Thomas as a potential starter at end.  The Jets clearly do like him and value him, but they've tended to use him as a rotational piece inside rather than on the edge. Interesting thought.  He's definitely a better player than Clemons.

Thomas moves around but he’s actually listed right now as a DE.  McKinley could be another option who is better than Clemons.  He’s listed as an OLB, so will definitely see some DE too and I think they can movie Fotu around as well.