Mike Garofolo reports the 49ers are “not close” to a deal with LT Trent Williams.

NFL Network’s Mike Garofolo reports the 49ers are “not close” to a deal with LT Trent Williams.

Williams has said he won’t report to the team until his contract includes more guaranteed money. Williams, 36, has skipped the entire offseason program and is looking somewhat less likely to be ready for Week 1 against the Jets. Williams’ absence would be a blow to Brock Purdy and the San Francisco offense.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

Based on past history and common sense:

• What are the odds that none of T Williams, Aiyuk and Reddick sign contracts to play week 1?
  • What is the over/under for those that do sign?  I have 2.  

I don’t see any way that the 49ers don’t cave and get something done with Williams ahead of week 1.

Aiyuk is a different story, especially now that CeeDee lamb got signed and he is probably looking for a similar, if not bigger, contract.

• Upvote 3

CMC calf + Madden cover curse

the Super Bowl loser trend of having a down year the following year

Trent Williams and Aiyuk being all Reddick about it

Maybe they’re just not up to the normal 49er standard this year. Still a good squad with a good coach, but maybe they’re just not elite anymore? 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Aiyuk is beyond delusional. Trent actually has a case for best at his position. 

Agree on both points.  Williams is the glue for that entire line, and you can argue for the entire team.

Aiyuk is trying to pull a Jordan Love and get paid based off of a market that he is not close to right now, in terms of resume.  That being said, Love was successful in getting what he wanted, but we all know that QB is a different position.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PS17 said:

Aiyuk is beyond delusional. Trent actually has a case for best at his position. 

Or he’s trying to strike while the iron’s hot. I can’t say I blame him for doing that.

He probably figures the odds of him putting up another 1350-yard receiving yard season (1500 yards including the playoffs) in 2024, and then becoming an UFA, aren’t good. If he did do it again teams would be falling over themselves to acquire and pay him. If he doesn’t, his next contract will look a lot smaller than he’s asking for today. Never mind if he tears an ACL or worse before hitting FA.

It’s already an uphill battle with the whole world seeing this production was aided by three other all-pros demanding non-Aiyuk attention from the defense. He can’t afford to slip any in this situation that seems frankly cushy in comparison to his peers.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Or he’s trying to strike while the iron’s hot. I can’t say I blame him for doing that.

He probably figures the odds of him putting up another 1350-yard receiving yard season (1500 yards including the playoffs) in 2024, and then becoming an UFA, aren’t good. If he did do it again teams would be falling over themselves to acquire and pay him. If he doesn’t, his next contract will look a lot smaller than he’s asking for today. Never mind if he tears an ACL or worse before hitting FA.

It’s already an uphill battle with the whole world seeing this production was aided by three other all-pros demanding non-Aiyuk attention from the defense. He can’t afford to slip any in this situation that seems frankly cushy in comparison to his peers.

Aiyuk can strike while the iron is hot and still land a fantastic payday. If I recall he’s gotten offered somewhere between $25 and $30 million a year from the 49ers in addition to being able to explore trades/contracts with other teams. I’m very pro-player but him holding out for Jefferson/Lamb money is delusional and selfish. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Aiyuk can strike while the iron is hot and still land a fantastic payday. If I recall he’s gotten offered somewhere between $25 and $30 million a year from the 49ers in addition to being able to explore trades/contracts with other teams. I’m very pro-player but him holding out for Jefferson/Lamb money is delusional and selfish. 

Yeah to me he’s crazy to turn that down, but maybe he’ll prove himself right to do it.

More $ is better, but his life will be unchanged making $28MM/yr vs $32MM/yr, while he risks settling for a show me deal if he gets badly injured this year.

But what do I know, and it’s not my money lol. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, varjet said:

Based on past history and common sense:

• What are the odds that none of T Williams, Aiyuk and Reddick sign contracts to play week 1?
  • What is the over/under for those that do sign?  I have 2.  

Planting a flag: Williams will not be there week 1. The last time he held out (with Washington in 2019) he ate $7M in fines and didn't show up until week 9 (right before not showing up would have tolled his contract under the old CBA). So he's already shown he's willing to take a huge financial hit to make his point. The 9ers, meanwhile, really can't set a precedent of redoing deals 3 years before they expire, especially not when caving to Williams now would probably set in stone that Aiyuk stays out without the deal he wants (once you show you'll cave, everyone will demand you cave for them, too) and they need cap space (and a negotiating rep) for extending Purdy after this year. That's especially true when 2 of the 4 games Williams would miss if he follows his 2019 approach are teams the 9ers should brutalize with or without Trent (vikings and pats). 

Open question what that means for Aiyuk week 1, if anything. But Williams will be out. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah to me he’s crazy to turn that down, but maybe he’ll prove himself right to do it.

More $ is better, but his life will be unchanged making $28MM/yr vs $32MM/yr, while he risks settling for a show me deal if he gets badly injured this year.

More importantly, I drafted him a week or so ago so I need his butt on the field.  Let's go.  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t see any way that the 49ers don’t cave and get something done with Williams ahead of week 1.

Aiyuk is a different story, especially now that CeeDee lamb got signed and he is probably looking for a similar, if not bigger, contract.

Giving Aiyuk a bigger contract than Lamb would be full blown crazy sauce. 

Very curious to see what happens with Aiyuk. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Giving Aiyuk a bigger contract than Lamb would be full blown crazy sauce. 

Very curious to see what happens with Aiyuk. 

Aiyuk is very good but not great.

And that difference matters, that's what separates the elite tier from the rest, and that is what you pony up for. 

He's a perfect fit for that Shanahan system.

There's no way he comes anywhere close to replicating that kind of efficiency on the Steelers or Browns.

Bro did his damage on 109 targets last year.

Even if he stays in SF, he'd be very hard pressed to crank out 1375 yards or whatever it was again on so little volume.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Aiyuk is very good but not great.

And that difference matters, that's what separates the elite tier from the rest, and that is what you pony up for. 

He's a perfect fit for that Shanahan system.

There's no way he comes anywhere close to replicating that kind of efficiency on the Steelers or Browns.

Bro did his damage on 109 targets last year.

Even if he stays in SF, he'd be very hard pressed to crank out 1375 yards or whatever it was again on so little volume.

Yea, I mean, he is really good and only 26, but is Aiyuk even definitively more valuable to SF than Deebo is? 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I think he should hold out till next Tuesday, show them he means business! 

I'm at least half-thinking that, if he shows up just-late enough in the week, the Jets are better off if he does show up and play (or anyway, LT should be a position to exploit whether he shows up or not):

36 years old plus after skipping all of TC, team workouts, and any live reps with anyone of substance -- very unlikely to be in total game shape, at a 100%-snaps position that doesn't rotate on & off the field? His last full-go reps were back in January. For this first game, Williams might end up being worse for them than his backup.

Put it this way -- if he was on the Jets under the same circumstances and he just came back right before the first game, 99% of the board would be predicting disaster with him, at least to start the season - either an injury or poor play or both - no matter how great he'd looked in the past. 

I mean, we'll see, but it's not necessarily a sigh of relief for San Fran if they get a reworked contract ironed out on Thursday afternoon. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Did Jamar Chase return to the Bengals yet?

Funny how this Hassan Reddick situation isn’t “the Jets being a clown show,” when you look around the league and see it everywhere else.

And those other holdouts are for players that have basically played their careers on those teams. Reddick has never played a down for us. It’s a big difference in that we don’t owe him anything and he is way more replaceable than an all pro LT, all pro WR, etc. 

Sure, would love to have him, but not losing any sleep over his decision. 

• Upvote 1