Joe Douglas entering season with no extension

In my opinion this isn't news.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Woody from signing JD to an extension during the season - assuming that JD wants to stay here.

JD just signed MC-II to a 3 yr extension, so the argument that he's a lame-duck GM, doesn't really hold water.

• Upvote 1

The important thing to remember is that the league considers woody a dweeb and the second to last owner you would want to work for. 

It’s not like woody could start over and assemble the A team 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-gm-joe-douglas-entering-final-year-of-contract-with-no-extension-signed-prior-to-2024-season

The New York Jets head into the 2024 season with a deep roster, a quarterback in Aaron Rodgers ready to prove he's fully back from last year's torn Achilles, and expectations as high as they've been in years.

They also do so with general manager Joe Douglas in an increasingly unique position. Sources say Douglas, who signed with Gang Green to great fanfare in June of 2019, is entering the final year of his contract, a rare GM who did not sign an extension prior to his deal expiring.

All sides are comfortable with this position, sources say.

Douglas signed a six-year deal in 2019 and stocked the roster along the way, while also trading for Rodgers, a four-time MVP. But due in large part to Rodgers' Achilles injury last season, the Jets have not made the playoffs since the 2010 season.

The personnel side has also steadily built up the talent including draft classes like 2022 when the Jets selected eventual Offensive Rookie of the Year Garrett Wilson and Defensive Rookie of the Year Sauce Gardner. New York is a team ready to win, just like last year.

If the Jets have the kind of season many are anticipating -- should Rodgers stay healthy and the defense plays like it is capable -- Douglas' situation likely takes care of itself

This situation is not unprecedented, as Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy is going into 2024 without a new contract.

Rodgers has publicly and privately expressed optimism for this season, and head coach Robert Saleh has done the same with regards to Rodgers.

"I think he's in a great place, I think he's -- not just mentally but physically -- he looks awesome," Saleh said on Sept. 5.

For his part, Rodgers understands the landscape heading into Week 1's game against the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night.

"If we win, the headline's going to be 'We're going to the Super Bowl.' If we lose, 'Same old Jets,' " Rodgers said. "So I think we need to get away from some of those outside themes and trust that the program, if it's good enough Week 1, it's good enough the rest of the season."

We need to lock him up for another 6 years...

• Ugh 2

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

One superior draft, one mediocre and the rest poor with this year's TBD. Two major top picks abject failures. The article fails to mention that are therefore, is incomplete. Add Reddick, Mims, Moore, and Saleh to his mistakes and you get the picture.  

And you know fixing a terrible roster and bringing an even worse franchise in disarray back to relevance and making the Jets respectable...

He one of very best GMs in the league 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

And you know fixing a terrible roster and bringing an even worse franchise in disarray back to relevance and making the Jets respectable...

None of what you say refutes my assertions because they are fact. 5 years in the job and the team is only now respectable...on paper.

• Upvote 2

Hasn’t earned an extension. He’s tied to the albatross named Rodgers. He’s been here 5 years with 27 wins. That’s not good enough. This year will make or break him (and a lot of us). It’s more than likely that he and Saleh both gone after this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 3

Common sense should tell you that he hasn't been extended because the team hasn't had a single good record during his tenure. It's either win this year or wipe everybody out and start over. 

If the team has a good year and Douglas is offered an extension, he's going to take it. What's the alternative? Good teams generally don't fire their GMs. Bad teams fire their GMs. Why would he want to go from a team he built up to success to another clunker where he might not have the same fortune? 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

None of what you say refutes my assertions because they are fact. 5 years in the job and the team is only now respectable...on paper.

I think fixing the roster is a pretty big deal and literally refutes what you say.

But going further into it, it's not respectable only on paper. We are properly run as well, drafted players not earning the way to the starting line up because  of draft position, inmates no longer running the asylum etc.

I think of you take your bias out of it I think you'd realize Joes a great gm. But I would be first to say that he needs a good showing cause behind the scenes is fine and much like you I don't think that the owner can appreciate all that he has done, and will only credit wins and losses this year. To Woody's credit he kept the ride going after last year, which I think many wanted to pull the plug.

But I think the big thing is win and losses come down to luck most of the time,  a couple plays here if there and anyone can win or lose. To build a champion ship level team,  a respectable team you need a good GM behind the scenes to run it, ala chiefs, ravens , bills etc...name any good teams that maintain over a number of years 

That's why Joe is a good GM despite his losses or the wins that will inevitably come. He has made us capable of winning long term and consistently. 

Good job Joe

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Hasn’t earned an extension. He’s tied to the albatross named Rodgers. He’s been here 5 years with 27 wins. That’s not good enough. This year will make or break him (and a lot of us). It’s more than likely that he and Saleh both gone after this year. 

I think most commend his wins especially last year with no QB.

Anyway

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think fixing the roster is a pretty big deal and literally refutes what you say.

But going further into it, it's not respectable only on paper. We are properly run as well, drafted players not earning the way to the starting line up because  of draft position, inmates no longer running the asylum etc.

I think of you take your bias out of it I think you'd realize Joes a great gm. But I would be first to say that he needs a good showing cause behind the scenes is fine and much like you I don't think that the owner can appreciate all that he has done, and will only credit wins and losses this year. To Woody's credit he kept the ride going after last year, which I think many wanted to pull the plug.

But I think the big thing is win and losses come down to luck most of the time,  a couple plays here if there and anyone can win or lose. To build a champion ship level team,  a respectable team you need a good GM behind the scenes to run it, ala chiefs, ravens , bills etc...name any good teams that maintain over a number of years 

That's why Joe is a good GM despite his losses or the wins that will inevitably come. He has made us capable of winning long term and consistently. 

Good job Joe

"One of very best GMs in the league"  is quite an accolade given his atrocious win loss record in 5 years on the job. So many have bought into that nonsense and now are trumpeting the roster even before one snap has been played this season and counting wins on paper as if roster construction is all that matters.. Sounds like you are light on demonstrated success and heavy on hype and projection. Nothing Douglas has done as of this date warrants an extension.

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Winning gets you respect. As of last season Jets were still seen league wide as a laughing stock.

They haven't played this year and you don't get respect for off season championships.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

"One of very best GMs in the league"  is quite an accolade given his atrocious win loss record in 5 years on the job. So many have bought into that nonsense and now are trumpeting the roster even before one snap has been played this season and counting wins on paper as if roster construction is all that matters.. Sounds like you are light on demonstrated success and heavy on hype and projection. Nothing Douglas has done as of this date warrants an extension.

? Really. That strange cause I think the roster and stats say otherwise.

We all want 14 plus win season but it doesn't just happen by chance. You have to have a good roster and foundation. Well run FO and talented players . 

I mean look you can dismiss the talent, the drafts, the FO but it speaks for it self. Last year this roster with an abyssal line and worst QB play ever won Big games. 

Dismiss all you want but you sound like you haven't thought it through 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

All that did was lower our draft spot. 

The point was the team was good enough to win them. When Joe took over we had a completely healthy team no capable of winning 7 games with the QB and and line.

That speaks volumes to Joe and the job he has done.

Think about it and get back to me

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Winning gets you respect. As of last season Jets were still seen league wide as a laughing stock.

They haven't played this year and you don't get respect for off season championships.

I have wrote about this and agree 💯 percent. You are completely right. We will always be the butt of the joke cause of the years of being terrible because we were poorly run.

Just like the patriot used to be, the bills used to be etc.

But , and the bills are best recent example, they started being a good team even while the wins were still crap. But now no one recalls those years of crap, cause of the wins, even now as they have obviously taken a step back, still get the benefit of the doubt.

I believe we will get there too. After a couple winning seasons

That would have started last year with out the Rodgers injury, but the point is you are right we will never be talked of as a good team till the wins happen, but they can't happen consistently till we fixed the roster, culture, team whatever you want to call it.

Joe has don't that and we are finally now set to win and continue winning

This is something so many jets fans never lived to see.

Hell.im excited this year 

9 hours ago, Larz said:

The important thing to remember is that the league considers woody a dweeb and the second to last owner you would want to work for. 

It’s not like woody could start over and assemble the A team 

Actually its Christopher Johnson that hired the leadership of this Front Office.

19 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

Actually it’s Christopher Johnson that hired the leadership of this Front Office.

Woody bad 

people no like woody 

woody fire Joe  people say no work for woody 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2