Robert Saleh = Awful Coach

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The defense has elite talent. Breece hall and garrett wilson are amazing.  Rodgers looks like his old self. 

This isn't a JD problem, it's 100pct a coaching problem.

Tremendous coaching problem.  They should have got Corley in that game, just get other people involved.  Get first downs.  Keep the d off the field.  Stop forcing it to breece and Wilson every play, the 9ers were ready.  But in the end i think it’s going to fold and saleh and his regime is gone.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The defense has elite talent. Breece hall and garrett wilson are amazing.  Rodgers looks like his old self. 

This isn't a JD problem, it's 100pct a coaching problem.

Not 100 percent.  Where was McDonald last night? This D Line looked pedestrian. We looked like a below average roster last night. But yes, Saleh is a fraud.

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Tremendous coaching problem.  They should have got Corley in that game, just get other people involved.  Get first downs.  Keep the d off the field.  Stop forcing it to breece and Wilson every play, the 9ers were ready.  But in the end i think it’s going to fold and saleh and his regime is gone.  

Corley stinks.  We are paper thin at WR

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Right now I can't blame Saleh.

The two most important things in the NFL are pass rush and QB.

Based on what I saw tonight - the Jets have neither.

We got torched against the run, and you are highlighting the lack of a pass rush?  That is a head scratcher for me.

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not saying Saleh has been good - he hasn't.  But we can't just blame him.  Do you believe a different coach would be winning SB's with this roster.

I think the way this team has been managed by Douglas is the bigger problem.  

Douglas hired Saleh, so I can't disagree...

That said, this roster is a very talented roster. SB? thats too unpredictable, but the team has been constantly unprepared under Saleh, outcoached, outplayed, mistake prone, etc. I think Saleh is an absolutely awful HC on every level.

He has zero ability to put together a decent offensive staff, he manages his players terribly, he is a complete fraud. Douglas hired him, so they both should go if this team is not a legit playoff contender this year, and I would argue they should be gone either way, they suck

It’s a shame these games always come around every year. Outside of those it’s been a good time. 
We need someone to start a "Countdown to the offseason" thread, so we can look forward to the good times again.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Like everything else out of the head coach's mouth, Saleh talks culture and toughness but he's all fluff.

The Lions and Steelers run Oklahoma drills in practice, actually create a physical, competitive environment.

The Jets looked like a team that had no clue how to tackle because they've been playing 2-hand touch all summer.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

This roster is very very talented. What it's not is a Super Bowl contender. I just don't see this roster beating KC or BAL. KC's offense will slice and dice our D to shreds

As will Miami and Buffalo

49 minutes ago, Alka said:

We got torched against the run, and you are highlighting the lack of a pass rush?  That is a head scratcher for me.

This team has never been great against the run.    Not built for it.  They need to come up with stops on 3rd downs.  Purdy threw the ball 29 times and had all the time in the world.

Yes, the run D was abysmal no question - but if they were able to get to Purdy they get off the field.   It seems pretty clear losing JFM had a far bigger impact than most think...Just like it seems losing Huff also had a substantial impact.

Rex won 8 games with Geno Smith throwing to Clyde Gates and Greg Salas.   If we gave AR8 to Rex he wins 12 games every year, for his bluster Rex was good at Defense and identity.   What is Saleh good at, other than golf and silly sayings?    He's not even a hype man like Herm, he's a poseur trying to imitate a HC.   

ROFL. The only thing Rex was good at is playing with his wife feet.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

The roster, especially on offense, matters far less if you don’t use the people you acquire.  Where was mike Williams?  Where was Corley and his yac?  Where were the TEs on quick outs?  They barely used Braylon allen.  So who cares what the roster looks like if you’re only using breece, wilson and Lazard.

Once again, it's the same argument made for Mac 6 years ago, and we saw how that turned out.

Convenient that the failure of players is supposedly solely on the coaches, and never poor talent evaluation by the front office.

Yet I ask now what I've been asking for years but remains unanswered, when is the last time a failure with the Jets has actually gone on to see success elsewhere? These days the best we've got is the decade it took for the light to turn on for Geno. Before that? You need to go all the way back to James Farrior, who still had his initial breakout season under Herm.

Meanwhile, JD's strongest defenders don't even realize that pointing to examples like Huff's disappointing week 1 also suggests the coaches get more out of the team's poor performing players, not less.

On 9/10/2024 at 6:56 AM, JetPotato said:

Saleh and his staff are easily the worst non-rookie staff in the entire NFL. Even on the rare instances they win, they are always soundly outcoached and the players overcome it.

Can't afford that in the playoffs (if we even get there). They will be manhandled by the likes if Andy Reid, just as Shanahan did last night.

It is honestly disrespectful for Saleh to have the same title as coachs like Shanahan and Reid. The latter are Fruit Loops while our “head coach” is the generic, “Fruit Rounds.” 

He runs some good stairs though. 

• Haha 1

Also, after having a couple days to digest that miserable game. 

When the schedule came out, I knew we were going to lose. It would be an upset had we won. I also think winning week 1 would’ve done more damage to this team because of all the hype and attention they will get when clearly they have many flaws to be worked on. 

So it’s not that we lost but how we lost. You had months to prepare for this game and you came out flat, unprepared, and got schooled by Shanahan. It was such a deflating loss. I do think we’ll get better but that’s because we have hall of famers at certain positions and not due to coaching from Saleh. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Corley stinks.  We are paper thin at WR

We'll see about Corley (though my gut feeling is and always has been the same as what you're saying).

We are definitely lacking at WR but hopefully Mike Williams can get healthy.  And I was very encouraged by Lazard (who we are heavily counting on this year).

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Also, after having a couple days to digest that miserable game. 

When the schedule came out, I knew we were going to lose. It would be an upset had we won. I also think winning week 1 would’ve done more damage to this team because of all the hype and attention they will get when clearly they have many flaws to be worked on. 

So it’s not that we lost but how we lost. You had months to prepare for this game and you came out flat, unprepared, and got schooled by Shanahan. It was such a deflating loss. I do think we’ll get better but that’s because we have hall of famers at certain positions and not due to coaching from Saleh. 

I agree with everything you wrote.  In particular "it’s not that we lost but how we lost. You had months to prepare for this game and you came out flat, unprepared, and got schooled by Shanahan."

I love the excuses some people gave that "it was week 1" and "we traveled to the West Coast".  It was week 1 for SF too and their HC got them prepared for the game.  As for traveling the West Coast, it wasn't a midseason trip when the team might've been tired.  It was week 1 when they were completely fresh.  That was 100% on Saleh to make sure the team was ready to go.

• Post of the Week 1

His biggest problem is slow starts in what seems like every game from us as well as not adjusting fast enough. He waits it seems until halftime A LOT of the time to make adjustments and sometimes that's too late. If a team is exposing you against the run change it asap. Not stick with your pride that you;; be fine there.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

His biggest problem is slow starts in what seems like every game from us as well as not adjusting fast enough. He waits it seems until halftime A LOT of the time to make adjustments and sometimes that's too late. If a team is exposing you against the run change it asap. Not stick with your pride that you;; be fine there.

Robert Saleh will stop the run when he's in the mood to stop the run.

• Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Once again, it's the same argument made for Mac 6 years ago, and we saw how that turned out.

Convenient that the failure of players is supposedly solely on the coaches, and never poor talent evaluation by the front office.

Yet I ask now what I've been asking for years but remains unanswered, when is the last time a failure with the Jets has actually gone on to see success elsewhere? These days the best we've got is the decade it took for the light to turn on for Geno. Before that? You need to go all the way back to James Farrior, who still had his initial breakout season under Herm.

Meanwhile, JD's strongest defenders don't even realize that pointing to examples like Huff's disappointing week 1 also suggests the coaches get more out of the team's poor performing players, not less.

My point is that other teams use the talent they have, they are more creative and vary the pitches they throw in various counts.  The jets force fed breece and wilson nearly every drive and it was very predictable.  All they had to do once was set up a screen for hall and then throw it to allen on the other side, and that would have put the 9ers off balance.  Throw a bomb to Gibson.  Go 5 wide and throw a quick out to Corley.  Every play someone else.  

Teams with mediocre talent can perform better with smart coaching and good game plans.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

My point is that other teams use the talent they have, they are more creative and vary the pitches they throw in various counts.  The jets force fed breece and wilson nearly every drive and it was very predictable.  All they had to do once was set up a screen for hall and then throw it to allen on the other side, and that would have put the 9ers off balance.  Throw a bomb to Gibson.  Go 5 wide and throw a quick out to Corley.  Every play someone else.  

Teams with mediocre talent can perform better with smart coaching and good game plans.  

The issue IMO was they clearly thought they needed to establish Breece and it wasn't working. And it took as 2 bad drives to realize that which was a waste. We did have GW going and they couldn't cover him and we stopped bc we wanted to go back to establish Breece. Slowing us down again.

41 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I get what you're saying about Hall, but this place was also throwing a fit last year when they didn't force feed the ball to Hall more earlier in the year. Any honest person knows if Allen had got a bunch of carries and did no more with them, that would have undoubtedly led to its own uproar around here about not letting Hall get into his groove.

Regarding Wilson, I'm sure you're not suggesting Rodgers is now suddenly a one read QB, so not sure what forcing the ball to JAGs would do when not wanting to force the ball to the only proven playmakers.

Again, I'm still waiting for any player to breakout post-Jets to even slightly support this idea they're being under-utilized, as so far we've only seen the opposite for quite a long time.

The furor over Robert Saleh is a lot of hot air, really, because he's not the head coach. In reality, he's the Jets event coordinator. He keeps attendance, sets up practice times and watches the goings on with his sidekick Joe Douglas. That's about it.

For the real weekly Jets head coach report, tune into the Pat McAfee show every Tuesday afternoon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I get what you're saying about Hall, but this place was also throwing a fit last year when they didn't force feed the ball to Hall more earlier in the year. Any honest person knows if Allen had got a bunch of carries and did no more with them, that would have undoubtedly led to its own uproar around here about not letting Hall get into his groove.

Regarding Wilson, I'm sure you're not suggesting Rodgers is now suddenly a one read QB, so not sure what forcing the ball to JAGs would do when not wanting to force the ball to the only proven playmakers.

Again, I'm still waiting for any player to breakout post-Jets to even slightly support this idea they're being under-utilized, as so far we've only seen the opposite for quite a long time.

You should use the guys you have.  Williams and Corley got no catches, the TEs got 1.  SF didn’t have to cover anyone but wilson and Lazard.  They stacked the box expecting hall runs and they were ready.  I expect tenn to do the same and make rodgers beat them in the air.  Getting the ball to other guys on offense makes it easier to hit wilson deep b/c now you’ve given defenses something else to worry about. 

Your point about seeing ex jets do well elsewhere is not relevant in this argument.  There’s fringe guys on other teams who contribute b/c their coaches gameplan to vary the playbook and the players who get the ball.  Mccaffrey was out so it was next man up and the coaches had a plan.  Buffalo’s leading receiver in catches was a rookie.  Other teams make it work. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You should use the guys you have.  Williams and Corley got no catches, the TEs got 1.  SF didn’t have to cover anyone but wilson and Lazard.  They stacked the box expecting hall runs and they were ready.  I expect tenn to do the same and make rodgers beat them in the air.  Getting the ball to other guys on offense makes it easier to hit wilson deep b/c now you’ve given defenses something else to worry about. 

Your point about seeing ex jets do well elsewhere is not relevant in this argument.  There’s fringe guys on other teams who contribute b/c their coaches gameplan to vary the playbook and the players who get the ball.  Mccaffrey was out so it was next man up and the coaches had a plan.  Buffalo’s leading receiver in catches was a rookie.  Other teams make it work. 

But again, does this mean you believe Rodgers was running a one-read offense? Gipson, Williams, and the TEs were out on the field, just not drawing targets. Many seem to have decided who must be to blame first, and then trying to back into that conclusion with purely confirmation bias.

And yes, that point is 100% relevant if the Jets are also getting more out of their JAGs than other teams can get out of them. That's quite literally your exact point. There's only so much chicken salad to make out of chicken sh*t.

That's not to say there are no coaching concerns, but it definitely goes very far beyond that, just as it has for many years now.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

But again, does this mean you believe Rodgers was running a one-read offense? Gipson, Williams, and the TEs were out on the field, just not drawing targets. Many seem to have decided who must be to blame first, and then trying to back into that conclusion with purely confirmation bias.

And yes, that point is 100% relevant if the Jets are also getting more out of their JAGs than other teams can get out of them. That's quite literally your exact point. There's only so much chicken salad to make out of chicken sh*t.

That's not to say there are no coaching concerns, but it definitely goes very far beyond that, just as it has for many years now.

For the running plays, the 9ers were ready for breece.  For passing, yes, i think rodgers was forcing it into wilson in the first half and also he forced it to wilson in the first drive in the 2nd half that caused the interception.  

I think a better OC uses the personnel better and calls plays that makes the offense less predictable.  You can put Corley on the jets and he’ll do nothing, but you can put him on SF or KC and he’ll look good.  At some point the coaches will take the blame for the fail here.