Olu Fashanu - Tape ≠ PFF

Overall, he did perfectly fine. no big holes in his game and lots to build on. I gotta say though he didn't "look" very athletic. He moved kind of slow, but that may have been a product of first game jitters and being very deliberate in the immediate task at hand.

BTW, the O line did a great job at switching assignments during stunts. Last season stunts killed the Jets often resulting in an unblocked pass rusher. Heck sometimes neither stunting pass rusher was blocked. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Overall, he did perfectly fine. no big holes in his game and lots to build on. I gotta say though he didn't "look" very athletic. He moved kind of slow, but that may have been a product of first game jitters and being very deliberate in the immediate task at hand.

Agree, he appeared to almost plod on some plays.

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

BTW, the O line did a great job at switching assignments during stunts. Last season stunts killed the Jets often resulting in an unblocked pass rusher. Heck sometimes neither stunting pass rusher was blocked. 

He looked fine to me, for a rookie playing RT instead of his natural position.  He doesn’t let guys get by him easily and is aggressive in run blocking.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, jetsons said:

In the above video? ... where?, I didn't see Any. 

The play that starts at 36 seconds, Keion White is beating him inside and them jumps outside because Rodgers is rolling out.  Rodgers just rolls around them both and runs for a solid gain, but not because of any block.  Then again Keion White had 4 sacks and a forced fumble coming into that game

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The play that start at 36 seconds, Keion White is beating him inside and them jumps outside because Rodgers is rolling out.  Rodgers just rolls around them both and runs for a solid gain, but not because of any block.  Then again Keion White had 4 sacks and a forced fumble coming into that game

Using the analogy that commonly gets repeated (in switching from LT to RT) this performance still yielded far less-messy results than most of us if butt wiping using the other hand.

I tried to wipe my butt using my other hand once...

coming-to-america-overrated-experience.p

RIP King Joffer 😢

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The play that start at 36 seconds, Keion White is beating him inside and them jumps outside because Rodgers is rolling out.  Rodgers just rolls around them both and runs for a solid gain, but not because of any block.  Then again Keion White had 4 sacks and a forced fumble coming into that game

White started his spin move to the outside before Rodgers rolled out if you go frame by frame, pretty sure his plan was to deke the inside move the whole time. I think White had a better chance to win if he didn't spin back outside, and the initial flash inside is probably what made Rodgers roll out. The roll out makes it tough to tell, but it looks like Olu would have been in a good position to stymie the rest of the rush had Rodgers remained in the pocket, though part of that may be because White stumbled coming out of the spin.

EDIT:

Screenshot2024-09-24at11_50_52AM.png.2ebce378dfb8b9bb50f27f3f06c2fd58.png

Adding screenshot. White is already beginning the outside spin move here before Rodgers rolls out.

A small sample size will give you results that are in no way indicative of reality.

As an example, when I go to a restaurant, and look at the reviews, I would much rather go to a restaurant where there are 700 reviews for a 4.5 average, then go to a restaurant with 18 reviews and a 5.0 average.

No one should take that small sample size seriously, since I believe Olu had about 14 total plays, if I am not mistaken.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

His first RT experience in a game comes as a backup situation coming off the bench cold and people here making up nonsense to knock him.  He was outstanding.  Y’all need to touch grass lol. 

Did anyone say he was bad? 

• Upvote 2

Looks fine to me for his first real NFL action at a position he never played in college.

His footwork and technique should improve over time.

Maybe Tyron can also help him with his diet to help lower his body fat %.

He's not the most agile athletic specimen or "freak" (i.e. Becton), but you don't necessarily need to be to be a successful NFL tackle.

With all the OL injuries around the league and QBs taking a beatdown on a weekly basis, there are plenty of teams right now who would love to have Olu and his 49 PFF grade.

Just look at Deshaun, Burrow, Daniel Jones, Baker, etc. running for their lives.

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Exactly.  It was a small sample size and he seemed fine.  Acting like he was perfect or some revelation certainly doesn't reflect reality.  PFF does a plus/minus on each play.  I'd say the two plays you mentioned were certainly not plus plays.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

No just focused on the negative. Who pointed out getting to the second level and perfectly picking up a stunt ? 

let us know where that happens in the video 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

No just focused on the negative. Who pointed out getting to the second level and perfectly picking up a stunt ? 

let us know where that happens in the video 

The thread is about his PFF score. I indicated why his PFF score makes sense. There isn’t a conspiracy that’s hard to figure out here. 

Olu was surprising in the run game and his reach blocks were very impressive. Especially since he was able to get to his opponents opposite shoulder and seal off blocks. All of that is true and still doesn’t affect his PFF pass blocking score. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Exactly.  It was a small sample size and he seemed fine.  Acting like he was perfect or some revelation certainly doesn't reflect reality.  PFF does a plus/minus on each play.  I'd say the two plays you mentioned were certainly not plus plays.

neither were they minus plays. 

2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

You can see what you want, I Clearly see no issue with those plays you pointed out.

ps - you're a clown. 

Considering how bad you are at critical observation you’re probably wrong about your personal attack. 

Simply put those two plays and the small sample size are enough reason to understand the PFF score. Olu wasn’t bad though he just got out maneuvered in his first appearance as a professional. Things have nuance and levels and can be evaluated as such. 

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Considering how bad you are at critical observation you’re probably wrong about your personal attack. 

Simply put those two plays and the small sample size are enough reason to understand the PFF score. Olu wasn’t bad though he just got out maneuvered in his first appearance as a professional. Things have nuance and levels and can be evaluated as such. 

Pretty much and he doesnt have the natural footwork or punch for a RT.  More technique/finesse.  I'd like to see my RT have way more punishing hands and initiate contact a little more, he was sitting back and waiting a few times, which could be scary in a large sample size.  PFF is bunk but that could also be why the scored him low.

3 hours ago, Alka said:

A small sample size will give you results that are in no way indicative of reality.

As an example, when I go to a restaurant, and look at the reviews, I would much rather go to a restaurant where there are 700 reviews for a 4.5 average, then go to a restaurant with 18 reviews and a 5.0 average.

No one should take that small sample size seriously, since I believe Olu had about 14 total plays, if I am not mistaken.

Olu shows elite foot speed on these reps and no matter his other failings he can probably forge a career based on that mirroring ability alone

does anyone remember the Olu Fashanu hand size debate? I wonder if that comes more into play down the line. 

8o60il.jpg.ce9ba80405af7729ed0259216c3cb6a7.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Olu shows elite foot speed on these reps and no matter his other failings he can probably forge a career based on that mirroring ability alone

does anyone remember the Olu Fashanu hand size debate? I wonder if that comes more into play down the line. 

8o60il.jpg.ce9ba80405af7729ed0259216c3cb6a7.jpg

He’s not a qb or wr, so as long as he’s got good strength and technique it won’t matter.  Plus he’s got a stout lower base.  Seems like a natural in pass pro.

• Upvote 1