My Evaluation of every Jets head coach since I started watching

I started watching during the Parcell years but I wasn’t well informed with the behind the scenes.

Why did Manning decide to go back to school? It was always reported that Parcells wouldn’t gtd he would go #1. If so, I think this might be the ultimate franchise miss and needs to go against him.

A bunch of what ifs cascade from here. Does BB leave knowing he can coach Manning? 

• Sympathy 1

Nice post OP except for the Parcells praise.  The x Giant did more harm than good IMHO.  However I think most posters here will agree with your take.  I just hate hiring other teams retreads....him and Gase being prime examples.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I started watching during the Parcell years but I wasn’t well informed with the behind the scenes.

Why did Manning decide to go back to school? It was always reported that Parcells wouldn’t gtd he would go #1. If so, I think this might be the ultimate franchise miss and needs to go against him.

A bunch of what ifs cascade from here. Does BB leave knowing he can coach Manning? 

Pretty sure BB left because Hess died and Woody took over.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Pretty sure BB left because Hess died and Woody took over.

Right. But would he have left if Manning were his QB? Maybe his dislike in ownership, was too big.

But Manning thing still holds. Has Manning ever said why?

Mine - I started during the Herm years.

The worst: Adam Gase - should've never been here to begin with. 

The best: Rex Ryan - obvious reasons. Most excited I've been since I started watching. Knowing the defense would kick their ass and the run game wouldn't be stopped was a blast. 

The most frustrating: Eric Mangini - his bend but don't break defense killed me. Never wanted to change his ways and just assumed things will change. 

Most Meh - Herm

I don't even know where to put Bowles. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Thank you for your service.

i understand the sentiment and appreciate however, I can't accept because that should only be used for military and I have not served this country.

Stay strong - you will get to the point I and many here are at soon enough 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

More oldie references: letting Pete Carroll go after he was a DC for three years and a HC for one was a mistake, as it turns out. Goes under the category of missed opportunity, I suppose.

Al Groh was, as was said - solid - but I don't know whether his methods didn't suit pro players, or the other way around.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

More oldie references: letting Pete Carroll go after he was a DC for three years and a HC for one was a mistake, as it turns out. Goes under the category of missed opportunity, I suppose.

Al Groh was, as was said - solid - but I don't know whether his methods didn't suit pro players, or the other way around.

the fake spike simply killed Pete. He was one of the better ones and had built a really good staff. I think it Was Greg Robinson who was the DC and he built a really good defense.

Then came that fateful day of Hess standing in front of the cameras stating he wanted a disciplinarian and the rest is history.

48 minutes ago, Trotter said:

you guys are pups which is a good thing.

you missed charlie winner (yup his real name), Ken Schipp, good ole Joe Walton (which in case you care another fan favorite Rich Kotite was his assistant head coach - the original dumb and dumber) and not to leave out the all time classic Lou lets sing fight songs at halftime Holtz 

You forgot about delete coslet. Coslet was terrible and needed boomer to run his offense.  What a crock. Hire an also ran never was. And also Pete Carroll.  Maybe delete Pete get as much of a chance as he deserved but his team lost seven in a row.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, sciond said:

I have been watching since Weeb I did not see his best years though

Best Coach- Walt Michaels 2nd Parcells

Fave Coach- Rex

Worst Kotite, Gase did not lose this by much

I wish Holtz coached more years

Saleh is the most recent suck...

Oh and F-Woody

with you 100% on Walt

Curious about your take on Holtz.

Most myself included just did not care for him in the pros - great college coach but considered an absolute failure with the Jets.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

with you 100% on Walt

Curious about your take on Holtz.

Most myself included just did not care for him in the pros - great college coach but considered an absolute failure with the Jets.

Holtz had a jets fight song.  That’s about all that’s needed to know about holtz.  Where’s Walt Michael’s on the list?  That guy was really good and didn’t take any crap from the players.  Kind of like the cowher of his time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, rangerous said:

Holtz had a jets fight song.  That’s about all that’s needed to know about holtz.  Where’s Walt Michael’s on the list?  That guy was really good and didn’t take any crap from the players.  Kind of like the cowher of his time.

that is why I am curious about his take on wishing holtz was here longer. Maybe I am missing something since I was 15 at the time but remember the season very well.

Most I come across have no love lost for Holtz.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, sciond said:

Fave Coach- Rex

Oh and F-Woody

Think we are pretty close in age.I agree on Walt, think if he stays we win a SuperBowl. Totally disagree on Gase being 2nd worse. To me, it’s Saleh hands down. Gase was 7-9 his first year and was basically told to tank the next year to get Trevor. Saleh is inept, period. One of only two coaches in Jets history to coach more than 2 years and not make the playoffs. Bowles is the other, and at least he got us to win and in last game his first year.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

that is why I am curious about his take on wishing holtz was here longer. Maybe I am missing something since I was 15 at the time but remember the season very well.

Most I come across have no love lost for Holtz.

He was horrible.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Nice post OP except for the Parcells praise.  The x Giant did more harm than good IMHO.  However I think most posters here will agree with your take.  I just hate hiring other teams retreads....him and Gase being prime examples.  

Quite honestly, the best success the team has had over the past 30 or so years has largely been on the back of retreads, especially at QB (Vinny, Favre before his arm fell off, even Fitz).   We probably need to go back to the Joe Walton days to see teams with legitimate home grown offensive talent (Walker, Toon, McNeil to name a few).

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, section314 said:

Think we are pretty close in age.I agree on Walt, think if he stays we win a SuperBowl. Totally disagree on Gase being 2nd worse. To me, it’s Saleh hands down. Gase was 7-9 his first year and was basically told to tank the next year to get Trevor. Saleh is inept, period. One of only two coaches in Jets history to coach more than 2 years and not make the playoffs. Bowles is the other, and at least he got us to win and in last game his first year.

I guess my argument for Saleh above Gase is the fact that Saleh at least has built a good defense which is his speciality. Gase speciality was offense/QB guru and the Jets were as bad as you can get in those areas under his watch. 

Saleh sucks as a head coach, but to me his biggest issue is the offensive staff he hired. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GregButtleFan said:

I guess my argument for Saleh above Gase is the fact that Saleh at least has built a good defense which is his speciality. Gase speciality was offense/QB guru and the Jets were as bad as you can get in those areas under his watch. 

Saleh sucks as a head coach, but to me his biggest issue is the offensive staff he hired. 

Based on their W/L record Gase is 2nd worst to Saleh.  This comes as a surprise!  

Robert Saleh has a 19–34 record and a .358 win percentage since being hired in 2021. 

Gase 2019-2020 New York Jets 9-23, giving Gase a .391 

Fave Coach- Rex
Oh and F-Woody

My father wrote to Holtz when he was Jets HC and advocated to be the teams Sports Psychologist (something unheard of back then).

Holtz actually wrote back and was interested in meeting with my dad....ofcourse he didn't last long as Jets HC and my dad never got the interview.

I was born in the early 80s so I wasn't alive for the Holtz tenure, but knowing he considered hiring my dad tells me all I need to know about how much of an idiot he was as a Pro HC

Sent from my SM-F741U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GregButtleFan said:

The Best: Bill Parcells

Joe Beningo likes to trash Parcells for underachieving in 1999 after Vinny injury. That’s fair. He screwed up with Rick Mirer. Still, Parcells built a foundation here that lasted long after he left. Those Edward’s teams were largely built by Parcells. Hell, Shaun Ellis lasted thru Rex. 

The worst: Rich Kotite

It’s well documented that Kotite did not work very hard as a HC. The results showed. Not much more to say here. The only positive is he was the only coach that was able to actually get us the #1 draft pick. 

The second best: Rex Ryan 

He was a clown, but also a creative defensive coach that took a borderline top 15 defense under Mangini and transformed them to #1 in a single season. His win and game plan against Brady in 2011 was the best of my lifetime and likely cost the Pats another ring. Unfortunately he didn’t  have a clue how to construct a modern NFL offense and was terrible at talent evaluation and roster construction. Rex set the foundation for our current playoff drought. 

The second worst: Adam Gase

Supposed offensive genius that put forth the worst offenses of my lifetime. He also failed to develop Sam Darnold who was probably the most promising of the young QBs the Jets drafted. Gase never really seemed to be engaged when he was with the Jets. It was almost as if he got the sense that he knew this was his last payday and he was getting out of coaching. Those four games he coached with Sam Darnold on the bench with mono was probably the worst football I have ever seen from a Jets team. 

Most disappointing 1: Eric Mangini

Mangini did some good things here. The 2006 and 2007 draft classes were probably the best in team history with DBrickashaw, Mangold, Revis, and Harris among others and he was a big part of that. However he oversaw the most disappointing Jets season of my lifetime in his last year. Going from 8-3 to 9-8 and missing the playoffs to Chad Pennington and the Dolphins was absolutely brutal. Terrible coaching job that year. 

Most disappointing 2: Robert Saleh

He is what he is. A defensive coordinator who has been uncomfortable since day 1 as a head coach. His best attribute is developing young unheralded defensive players and getting them to play well. He did that in SF and that has translated here. How do you underachieve with a talented roster? Hire Nathanial Hackett, Keith Carter, and Todd Downing as your offensive brain trust. That’s a trio of 💩 that only the Jets can conjure up. 

Also rans:

Todd Bowles: The type of coach who is net neutral. If you got a good roster he will get you to the playoffs, if you have a bad roster he will win 4-5 games. This is an upgrade over Kotite, Gase, and Saleh who are the three net negative coaches in my lifetime. 

Herm Edwards: I liked Herm, but he was 100 percent coordinator dependent. Former player that was great in press conferences and garnered respect from players, but he didn’t know sh*t about Xs and Os and was brutal in clock management. 

Al Groh: he was actually a solid coach, but his style definitely fit college more as vets will tune that type of coaching out quickly. 

Neat.

I go back to Weeb. The 4 guys after him until Walt make these guys look like Knute Rockne

Screenshot2024-10-03155139.thumb.png.8a6c5adb998edc6759fc3ac12a8a4f23.png

Woah, I completely forgot that Holtz coached this team!  Reading through all these names is on par with reading the names of Jets QBs.  Both lists are soooooo damn sad.  This organization is so overdue for a real HC and a franchise QB.  It's incredible that really Joe and Weeb were the last pair worthy of remembering.  

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Does BB leave if Parcells and his massive ego don't stick around to keep his enormously fat shadow over Lil Bill? 

4 hours ago, GregButtleFan said:

Joe Beningo likes to trash Parcells for underachieving in 1999 after Vinny injury. That’s fair. He screwed up with Rick Mirer. Still, Parcells built a foundation here that lasted long after he left. Those Edward’s teams were largely built by Parcells. Hell, Shaun Ellis lasted thru Rex. 

It’s well documented that Kotite did not work very hard as a HC. The results showed. Not much more to say here. The only positive is he was the only coach that was able to actually get us the #1 draft pick. 

He was a clown, but also a creative defensive coach that took a borderline top 15 defense under Mangini and transformed them to #1 in a single season. His win and game plan against Brady in 2011 was the best of my lifetime and likely cost the Pats another ring. Unfortunately he didn’t  have a clue how to construct a modern NFL offense and was terrible at talent evaluation and roster construction. Rex set the foundation for our current playoff drought. 

Supposed offensive genius that put forth the worst offenses of my lifetime. He also failed to develop Sam Darnold who was probably the most promising of the young QBs the Jets drafted. Gase never really seemed to be engaged when he was with the Jets. It was almost as if he got the sense that he knew this was his last payday and he was getting out of coaching. Those four games he coached with Sam Darnold on the bench with mono was probably the worst football I have ever seen from a Jets team. 

Mangini did some good things here. The 2006 and 2007 draft classes were probably the best in team history with DBrickashaw, Mangold, Revis, and Harris among others and he was a big part of that. However he oversaw the most disappointing Jets season of my lifetime in his last year. Going from 8-3 to 9-8 and missing the playoffs to Chad Pennington and the Dolphins was absolutely brutal. Terrible coaching job that year. 

He is what he is. A defensive coordinator who has been uncomfortable since day 1 as a head coach. His best attribute is developing young unheralded defensive players and getting them to play well. He did that in SF and that has translated here. How do you underachieve with a talented roster? Hire Nathanial Hackett, Keith Carter, and Todd Downing as your offensive brain trust. That’s a trio of 💩 that only the Jets can conjure up. 

Also rans:

Todd Bowles: The type of coach who is net neutral. If you got a good roster he will get you to the playoffs, if you have a bad roster he will win 4-5 games. This is an upgrade over Kotite, Gase, and Saleh who are the three net negative coaches in my lifetime. 

Herm Edwards: I liked Herm, but he was 100 percent coordinator dependent. Former player that was great in press conferences and garnered respect from players, but he didn’t know sh*t about Xs and Os and was brutal in clock management. 

Al Groh: he was actually a solid coach, but his style definitely fit college more as vets will tune that type of coaching out quickly. 

"GregButtleFan" started watching in 98? 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yep.  Let's have a team fight song and everybody sing it in the locker room!  My eyes were rolling and I was only 9 years old.

Saleh is our modern day holtz

fight songs slogans same end result

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GregButtleFan said:

Also rans:

I think Parcells is the best BUT I also think he is sort of massively overrated.  I think Parcells best trait was picking a staff. Our staff in 1998 was ridiculous.

However I think Saleh is the worst head coach by a very very large margin. He is literally good at nothing that is required from a head coach whereas all the others did have areas of strength. He is the worst HC I have seen. A complete politician hiding behind trite slogans that is the most stuck in the mud rigid and stubborn head coach I have ever seen.  In addition, he actually has good players and still manages to get the worst out of them. And on the defense I think there are at least 25 coordinators that would get as good or better results out of the talent we have. He is a complete zero.

Rex Ryan is interesting. Outside of the color coded plays Ryan was one of the best head coaches in football his first two years.  But instead of getting better and learning he just got worse and worse eventually turning into essentially a caricature of himself. The league adjusted and he had no response at all until in the end he was an absolutely awful head coach