Tom Brady linked to BALCO

AFJF

Brady linked to BALCO

Trainer, Pats QB spoke

BY TERI THOMPSON

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

For the most part, the NFL has avoided the intense scrutiny that has plagued Major League Baseball in the BALCO steroid era. But those days may be nearing an end. One of the NFL's biggest names - New England quarterback Tom Brady - has peripherally emerged in the BALCO investigation.

Federal prosecutors today will try to convince a judge to throw Barry Bonds' personal trainer back in jail for refusing to testify, this time before a newly assembled grand jury that is reportedly also investigating track coach Trevor Graham and other athletes. In a statement to prosecutors about his intentions to keep quiet, Bonds' trainer, Greg Anderson, invoked Brady's name, effectively dragging the three-time Super Bowl winner into the biggest steroid scandal in U.S. sports history, saying the two had spoken over the phone but never made further contact.

Several NFL players have emerged in the BALCO investigation, along with numerous baseball players, but none with the star power of Brady. Even if Brady is only remotely tied to Anderson and BALCO, he could find himself subject to the questions of the government, as have numerous other athletes. Brady was mysteriously absent for several days near the start of training camp. No reason was given for his absence.

"I had only one brief conversation with Tom Brady regarding a potential future workout," Anderson said in the statement to prosecutors that was included in court documents unsealed in San Francisco yesterday. "I never had another phone conversation with him and never discussed it with anyone."

Paula Canny, an Anderson attorney, said Brady's name appears along with "10 to 20" other athletes that Anderson's grand jury subpoena lists as people the trainer should be prepared to answer questions about. Canny said investigators may have gotten Brady's name from Anderson phone records seized by the government, though Anderson doesn't refer to any other athletes in his brief statement.

Brady attended the same Bay Area high school as Bonds. His agent, Donald Yee, couldn't be reached for comment, and the Patriots declined comment on Anderson's statement. "I don't have any information on it," Patriots spokesman Stacey James said. "I'm not going on hearsay."

Anderson has refused on four different occasions to testify before federal grand juries investigating Bonds. He was released from prison on July 20 after serving 15 days for refusing to testify, but only after that grand jury's term expired. "I will not ever make statements about other people," Anderson said in the June 23 statement filed with the court. "That has always been my position and will continue to be."

Prosecutors plan to ask U.S. District Judge William Alsup today to send Anderson to prison if he stands by that policy.

Government lawyers are investigating whether Bonds lied under oath when he told an earlier grand jury he didn't know whether the substances given to him by Anderson were steroids. The grand jury probe also reportedly is focused on whether the Giants' slugger paid taxes on the sale of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of sports memorabilia.

The grand jury is also reportedly looking into the possible involvement of Graham, the track coach of Marion Jones and Justin Gatlin, who tested positive earlier this year for elevated testosterone levels.

Anderson previously served three months in prison after pleading guilty to steroid distribution and money laundering stemming from the government's investigation of BALCO, which allegedly supplied Bonds and other elite athletes with performance-enhancing drugs.

What is interesting about this is that when Brady got into the league he was on the skinny/weak looking side and then he bulks up and never gets hurt for the pats run.

I'm not saying he's a user but I'd be shocked if he didn't rock them once or twice (just like I wouldn't be surprised that Chad used something for his comeback since he has bulked up so much). JMO.

Brady's name was in the man's rolodex - Brady went to the same High School as Bonds - roid "dealer" was hustling. Yeesh - must I spell it out for you people? ;)

Brady on 'roids is utterly ridiculous. Have you seen him? Does twig-boy look like he's juicin'? C'mon now.

Brady's name was in the man's rolodex - Brady went to the same High School as Bonds - roid "dealer" was hustling. Yeesh - must I spell it out for you people? ;)

Brady on 'roids is utterly ridiculous. Have you seen him? Does twig-boy look like he's juicin'? C'mon now.

Garb-Roids are not only used to bulk up, they are used to help injuries heal faster and speed recovery times.

If you look at some of teh players that have been busted for baseball, they are not all meatheads. Quite a few have been "twigs" that were looking to help in their recovery process.

I am not saying what this has to do with Brady, just that the sterotype of a "roider' is not true

Garb-Roids are not only used to bulk up, they are used to help injuries heal faster and speed recovery times.

If you look at some of teh players that have been busted for baseball, they are not all meatheads. Quite a few have been "twigs" that were looking to help in their recovery process.

I am not saying what this has to do with Brady, just that the sterotype of a "roider' is not true

.....well, if Brady is taking 'roids to help speed his recovery from injury - he should demand a refund.

I don't care what anyone says and what actually happened...He probably didn't take steroids, but this stuff is funny as hell right here

BTW Garb, what did I tell you about eating those retard sandwiches again...Nice try at a spin though

:Nuts:

.....well, if Brady is taking 'roids to help speed his recovery from injury - he should demand a refund.

Actually since he hasn't missed a game in what 5 years he should be their spokesperson. :P

Now we all see how Brady miraculously recovered from that knee injury he suffered in the 2001 AFC Championship. :P

Seriously though. This could become a big time distraction if it gets out hand.

More distractions are the last thing the Pats need.

Actually since he hasn't missed a game in what 5 years he should be their spokesperson. :P

Now we all see how Brady miraculously recovered from that knee injury he suffered in the 2001 AFC Championship. :P

Seriously though. This could become a big time distraction if it gets out hand.

More distractions are the last thing the Pats need.

Yes, because the Patriots are horrible at dealing with distractions. ;)

I suspect the hungry vultures (Boston media - kindred spirits with those animals in the NY media) will be all over it today - since getting anything "juicy" out of Foxboro is as likely as any of you ever dating Carmen Electra. This story will die a quick death.

I have no doubt that Brady is clean. That being said, his name has popped up in one of the biggest scandals in sports history. There's just no way that that can help an otherwise spotless reputation.

Disagree. The only reason his name was mentioned is BECAUSE HE IS TOM BRADY! Quite frankly - his PR folks could play up the "victim" angle and make him look even more CLEAN than he does now. Handling this with class - as I'm sure he will - will further idolize him - not vilify him.

Disagree. The only reason his name was mentioned is BECAUSE HE IS TOM BRADY! Quite frankly - his PR folks could play up the "victim" angle and make him look even more CLEAN than he does now. Handling this with class - as I'm sure he will - will further idolize him - not vilify him.

Garb, of all people that I thought would be prone against Idolization, I thought it would be you.

Another myth shattered.

Garb, of all people that I thought would be prone against Idolization, I thought it would be you.

Another myth shattered.

The public is prone to that sort of stuff - how else would you explain Paris Hilton's celebrity status? If Brady's PR staff is up to snuff - they could spin this in a very positive way. As far as my idolizing people? Nah.....unless it's Troy Brown the iron man, Judge Judy - who has the best job ever (LOL!) and most certainly my special someone.

I have no doubt that Brady is clean. That being said, his name has popped up in one of the biggest scandals in sports history. There's just no way that that can help an otherwise spotless reputation.

The guy is a cheater and there should be a huge * infront of those SuperBowl wins

Archived