i`m jumping on the clemems bandwagon

bear

after watching this last preseason game i`m truly a believer now. i thougt he first week was a fluke,but clemems passes look tight,sharp,and accurate. he`s kind of mobile,and has a great feel for thr pocket. please don`t get me wrong . i`m not a chad hatter at all. i just think we have a solid back up for now,and our qb ofthe future. i am a d`brick hatter. so far i think h`s a waste of a 4th pick. when chad thru his second pick it was d`bricks fault. the deffender made an inside move then spun to the outside. i pray he gets better before the season begins. oh by the way he got knocked the f#$^ out lol did u see that hit?

after watching this last preseason game i`m truly a believer now. i thougt he first week was a fluke,but clemems passes look tight,sharp,and accurate. he`s kind of mobile,and has a great feel for thr pocket. please don`t get me wrong . i`m not a chad hatter at all. i just think we have a solid back up for now,and our qb ofthe future. i am a d`brick hatter. so far i think h`s a waste of a 4th pick. when chad thru his second pick it was d`bricks fault. the deffender made an inside move then spun to the outside. i pray he gets better before the season begins. oh by the way he got knocked the f#$^ out lol did u see that hit?

welcome aboard Kellens bandwagon and to this excellent board! Go Jets!

I'm still on the whoever gives us the best chance to win bandwagon, always have been.

Makes sense to me.

With all the rationalization of last night being a preseason game, and chad being rusty (which he was mentally) one thing i can say about this preseason is that Clemens has gained ground- narrowed the gap between him and the starting QB. he isnt there yet, he's still on the backstretch, a few furlongs back, but he's just starting to make a move...

The time is over for excuses with Pennington- he is supposedly healthy and has the experience -if he can not cut it we have to look elsewhere. Especiallyagainst top echelon teams like New England and the Ravens to open the season.

I am so down on Pennington right now I'm ready to flush my signature down the toilet.

Let me tell you why. It's not because Pennington made 2 bad decisions and threw 2 picks Friday night. Hey it's preseason you know whatever.

It's because for some absurd reason I believed that it would be different this year. That somehow playing in the same system for a second year he would somehow be better and he would show it with only 3 weeks before the regular season.

But now I know he's not better than last year and he won't ever be better than last year. Nor will the rest of the team. Continuity for the most part is bs.

Look I think Pennington is a good QB, but he's limited. Call it arm strength or whatever you want, but he can't make a lot of the throws on the field. Most of his throws (you can throw in a high % here) are simply dumpoffs. He can manage the game, but he can't win it.

In other words Pennington is only as good as the talent around him. This team for the most part is very average.

But I don't think getting rid of Pennington is the answer. The team needs more talented players, especially upfront, on both fronts. And it's going to take time.

That's why I'm down. Not just on Pennington. I think it's going to be a rough season. Maybe next season too. Right now I'm not a believer in Mangini's schemes and 2nd rate free agents. There is no substitute for talent. I let Pennington and Vilma fool me until now, but not anymore.

:blowup:

Makes sense to me.

With all the rationalization of last night being a preseason game, and chad being rusty (which he was mentally) one thing i can say about this preseason is that Clemens has gained ground- narrowed the gap between him and the starting QB. he isnt there yet, he's still on the backstretch, a few furlongs back, but he's just starting to make a move...

I agree with both you and Bill Parcells. Let the best QB for us, play! Stop hero worship! The TEAM comes first!

ya know it's funny i watched last weeks game just like the rest of you guys

and clemens looked like crap too

Of course, you conveniently FORGOT to include that Kellen played with the second team , most of the way. You also forgot to mention that he seldom practices with the first team, if at all. That was according to Jetcane who attends many TC sessions. GO JETS! You also very conveniently failed to mention that Kellen delivered the ball, quickly, accurately and IMMEDIATELY to Jmac for a TD. Yes, his INT was on a touched ball by Stuckey. I wish for the best QB to play for our team. no hero worship! The TEAM must come first!

The time is over for excuses with Pennington- he is supposedly healthy and has the experience -if he can not cut it we have to look elsewhere. Especiallyagainst top echelon teams like New England and the Ravens to open the season.

Thank you.

I've always stood behind Chad and figured he gave us the best chance at winning.The time to hand the ball over to Clemens will be determined in the next few preseason games.

Brady Quinn available at 14 was the pick I would have made hands down.

I don't think anything is decided during these pre-season games . I don't care if Clemens completes every single pass he attempts and has 3 TD's every game.

If Pennington's healthy he starts. Then we monitor him with a microscope, we go 2-3 with Chad throwing stupid INT's , we start talking Kellen.

Personally I'm hoping for a heavy dose of Jones/Washington, with a few Cotch/Coles "dinks and dunks", like 1,ooo yds worth ,each.

I think Chad's capable of delivering that, but if Clemens has to be the trigger man, whatever. We got a lot of weapons. 2 1,000 backs and 2 1,000 WR's, plus the best return man in the game.

I'm still on the whoever gives us the best chance to win bandwagon, always have been.

Yup Bill that's the only way to be. And that's just the way the coaching staff operates. As of right now the choice is Chad. He gives us the best chance to win.

Makes sense to me.

Jets sack chat on Chad status

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, August 20th 2007, 4:00 AM

Head coach Eric Mangini got to the point yesterday, saying Chad Pennington remains the Jets' undisputed starter.

It makes for interesting chatter on Internet message boards, but the problem with this quarterback controversy is that it doesn't exist. Chad Pennington remains the Jets' undisputed starter. Kellen Clemens is closing the gap, but he remains a distant second.

---------------------------------------

I dont know if it's a good thing or not that Cimini and i see it the same way...

Makes sense to me.

Any of you degenerate gamblers can just jump in and correct me, but if he's a few furlongs back on the backstretch and is just starting to make his move, you can tear those tickets up right now. I'd be happy to send you an abacus. ;-)

Any of you degenerate gamblers can just jump in and correct me, but if he's a few furlongs back on the backstretch and is just starting to make his move, you can tear those tickets up right now. I'd be happy to send you an abacus. ;-)

Exactly. That's why there is no QB controversy (except on message boards) at the present time.

Those who bet on #11 to take the reins of the team by September are going to lose their bet (unless the #10 horse breaks or pulls up lame).

Exactly. That's why there is no QB controversy (except on message boards) at the present time.

Those who bet on #11 to take the reins of the team by September are going to lose their bet (unless the #10 horse breaks or pulls up lame).

I agree completely. It's just good to see that if #10 isn't out there that we aren't fielding Testaverde or Bollinger (or Ramsey) this year.

Not every QB is ready to be thrown to the wolves right away. Clemens seems to be one of them. No one knows if he'll ever be above average (or even average), but hopefully a clipboard did him more good as a rookie than throwing 10 TD's and 20 picks.

Pennington is massively popular with the players. If Mangini pulls him prematurely (or at a time when it could be conceived as prematurely), only successive lights-out performances by Clemens will keep the team together. They're not going to put up with injuries & exhaustion in September so one Kellen Clemens can get his feet wet.

If he's not way, WAY outperforming Pennington in camp - which from your camp reports his most certainly is not - then Mangini has no choice but to go with the panicky-under-pressure gimp.

I'll wait for the bandwagon to come around again... I just dont see what everyone else saw in Clemens the first 2 weeks.. he really hasnt shown me too much. In my opinion, he has done exactly what a second string QB should do when working with the second string offense against the second string defense. He is and always will be a mediocre QB. And mediocre QB's dont lead teams to superbowls according to some posters around here.

I'll wait for the bandwagon to come around again... I just dont see what everyone else saw in Clemens the first 2 weeks.. he really hasnt shown me too much. In my opinion, he has done exactly what a second string QB should do when working with the second string offense against the second string defense. He is and always will be a mediocre QB. And mediocre QB's dont lead teams to superbowls according to some posters around here.

What would your opinion of Kurt Warner have been this week in 1999? How about Brady this week in 2001?

Look, Clemens may end up being a joke as a QB. But until I see the guy play a game with first-string pro talent around him I'm holding off calling him anything bad (or anything good).

I agree completely. It's just good to see that if #10 isn't out there that we aren't fielding Testaverde or Bollinger (or Ramsey) this year.

Not every QB is ready to be thrown to the wolves right away. Clemens seems to be one of them. No one knows if he'll ever be above average (or even average), but hopefully a clipboard did him more good as a rookie than throwing 10 TD's and 20 picks.

Pennington is massively popular with the players. If Mangini pulls him prematurely (or at a time when it could be conceived as prematurely), only successive lights-out performances by Clemens will keep the team together. They're not going to put up with injuries & exhaustion in September so one Kellen Clemens can get his feet wet.

If he's not way, WAY outperforming Pennington in camp - which from your camp reports his most certainly is not - then Mangini has no choice but to go with the panicky-under-pressure gimp.

IMO he's done well enough to solidify his spot as the current backup. His time is coming...maybe as soon as 08, assuming CP plays out this season injury-free and disaster-free.

And speaking of hugely popular, I sense that Vilma is the most popular player on the team with his teammates. Take it FWIW.

TEAM CLEMENS UNITE!

:P

Honestly, I think we're all evaluating Chad's performance a little bit too much, even for guys like myself, Smizzy, Barton and others, but the truth is is that it was the first time we saw Pennington throw the ball this season and it was a pathetic performance. If he does struggle in the first few weeks of the regular season, the team will be turned over to Kellen Clemens. If there is a 1-3 start, this team goes to Kellen.

TEAM CLEMENS UNITE!

:P

Honestly, I think we're all evaluating Chad's performance a little bit too much, even for guys like myself, Smizzy, Barton and others, but the truth is is that it was the first time we saw Pennington throw the ball this season and it was a pathetic performance. If he does struggle in the first few weeks of the regular season, the team will be turned over to Kellen Clemens. If there is a 1-3 start, this team goes to Kellen.

I doubt it. Not unless it's obvious that Chad is the reason & we're getting beat like 24-10 each time. If we're losing 28-27 a couple of times I think it will take more than 2 games below .500 to demote a popular team captain once the season is underway.

I doubt it. Not unless it's obvious that Chad is the reason & we're getting beat like 24-10 each time. If we're losing 28-27 a couple of times I think it will take more than 2 games below .500 to demote a popular team captain once the season is underway.

I doubt it, too. But the guys who want to pull the trigger, will always post that it should be done prematurely.

I expect the Jets to be 4-3 after seven games, but the schedule lightens up in the second half of the season. If they can get to 4-3, I like their chances heading into November.

If the games are 28-27 then yes, Chad would remain the starter. But, I wasn't talking like those games were going to be the case. If Chad comes out and throws 4 interceptions in the first two weeks and the Jets lose 31-10 and 17-3, this team will be Clemens' shortly thereafter.

If the games are 28-27 then yes, Chad would remain the starter. But, I wasn't talking like those games were going to be the case. If Chad comes out and throws 4 interceptions in the first two weeks and the Jets lose 31-10 and 17-3, this team will be Clemens' shortly thereafter.

If poor decisions & poor throws like on Friday are the reason for losses I think Mangini would pull him. If he's playing even at an average level but we get out to a 1-3 start I doubt Clemens would get a shot at anything other than garbage-time.

True. Chad had a bad game but he still gives us the best chance to win

To win what?

10 games? Maybe.

A division title? No. No need to list anything of greater importance.

The Patriots are the team to beat in the AFC East. The Colts are the team to beat period and the Chargers are the reign team with the best record. All three have better team and in particular better QBs. Which means the Jets have to be that much better everywhere else. While the Jets may have certain stronger units versus those three teams, none is going to compensate for the huge difference at QB.

I doubt anyone is saying Clemons is going to win a SB, but most would agree Chad is not going to either. If that is true, why stay with him? To win 10 games and be the 4th/5th/6th best team in the AFC?

Archived