any body concerned that the pats have

ylekram

12 picks this year in what many say is a very deep draft?i heard that they have 4 picks in the top 40.i know they havnt drafted well recently,but if they can hit on 4 pics this year,they will be a much better team.i like the direction that the jets are headed,but the pats can do damage in this years draft.they have the ammo to get any player in the draft,if they so choose.could you imagine if tannenbaum had 12 picks?we would probably only end up with 3 players(lol)but i am sure they would be winners

Concerned? No.

It's a solid draft and they set themselves up well for it, but it's up to the Jets to take care of their own business and not worry about what the Pats are doing.

my sentiments exactly-the Pats have probably had more picks than any other team over the past 5-6 years or so. They haven't been the best at it...or maybe it's they haven't been the most tolerant of letting players grow. Sione Pohau would have been out of the league if the Pats had drafted him and by the Jets sticking with him, BELIEVING in him he turned into one of the best NT's in the league last year-yes I said it one of the best.

New England Patriots Draft History

Rnd Name College Note

2 Patrick Chung Oregon

2 Ron Brace Boston College

2 Darius Butler Connecticut

2 Sebastian Vollmer Houston

3 Brandon Tate North Carolina

3 Tyrone McKenzie South Florida

4 Rich Ohrnberger Penn State

5 George Bussey Louisville

6 Jake Ingram Hawaii

6 Myron Pryor Kentucky

7 Julian Edelman Kent State

7 Darryl Richard Georgia Tech

Rnd Name College Note

1 Jerod Mayo Tennessee

2 Terrence Wheatley Colorado

3 Shawn Crable Michigan

3 Kevin O'Connell San Diego State

4 Jonathan Wilhite Auburn

5 Matt Slater UCLA

6 Bo Ruud Nebraska

Rnd Name College Note

1 Brandon Meriweather Miami (Fla.)

4 Kareem Brown Miami (Fla.)

5 Clint Oldenburg Colorado State

6 Justin Rogers Southern Methodist

6 Mike Richardson Notre Dame

6 Justise Hairston Central Connecticut State

6 Corey Hilliard Oklahoma State

7 Oscar Lua USC

7 Mike Elgin Iowa

Rnd Name College Note

1 Laurence Maroney Minnesota

2 Chad Jackson Florida

3 Dave Thomas Texas

4 Garrett Mills Tulsa

4 Stephen Gostkowski Memphis

5 Ryan O'Callaghan California

6 Jeremy Mincey Florida

6 Dan Stevenson Notre Dame

6 Le Kevin Smith Nebraska

7 Willie Andrews Baylor

Rnd Name College Note

1 Logan Mankins Fresno State

3 Ellis Hobbs Iowa State

3 Nick Kaczur Toledo

4 James Sanders Fresno State

5 Ryan Claridge Nevada-Las Vegas

7 Matt Cassel USC

7 Andy Stokes William Penn

Rnd Name College Note

1 Vince Wilfork Miami (FL)

1 Ben Watson Georgia

2 Marquise Hill Louisiana State

3 Guss Scott Florida

4 Dexter Reid North Carolina

4 Cedric Cobbs Arkansas

5 P.K. Sam Florida State

7 Christian Morton Illinois

Rnd Name College Note

1 Ty Warren Texas A&M

2 Eugene Wilson Illinois

2 Bethel Johnson Texas A&M

4 Dan Klecko Temple

4 Asante Samuel Central Florida

5 Dan Koppen Boston College

6 Kliff Kingsbury Texas Tech

7 Spencer Nead Brigham Young

7 Tully Banta-Cain California

7 Ethan Kelley Baylor

Rnd Name College Note

1 Dan Graham Colorado

2 Deion Branch Louisville

4 Rohan Davey Louisiana State

4 Jarvis Green Louisiana State

7 Antwoine Womack Virginia

7 David Givens Notre Dame

Rnd Name College Note

1 Richard Seymour Georgia

2 Matt Light Purdue

3 Brock Williams Notre Dame

4 Kenyatta Jones South Florida

4 Jabari Holloway Notre Dame

5 Hakim Akbar Washington

6 Arther Love South Carolina State

6 Leonard Myers Miami (FL)

7 Owen Pochman Brigham Young

7 T.J. Turner Michigan State

Rnd Name College Note

2 Adrian Klemm Hawaii

3 J.R. Redmond Arizona State

4 Greg Robinson-Randall Michigan State

5 Dave Stachelski Boise State

5 Jeff Marriott Missouri

6 Antwan Harris Virginia

6 Tom Brady Michigan

6 David Nugent Purdue

7 Casey Tisdale New Mexico

7 Patrick Pass Georgia

The guy that makes their offense work just got his knee sodomized and is probably out until Thanksgiving. Their defense is no longer remotely close to what it used to be. And this is Randy Moss's last year with the team.

No, I am not concerned about the sinking ship in New England. I am more concerned with Miami, because they for some reason own us lately.

12 picks this year in what many say is a very deep draft?i heard that they have 4 picks in the top 40.i know they havnt drafted well recently,but if they can hit on 4 pics this year,they will be a much better team.i like the direction that the jets are headed,but the pats can do damage in this years draft.they have the ammo to get any player in the draft,if they so choose.could you imagine if tannenbaum had 12 picks?we would probably only end up with 3 players(lol)but i am sure they would be winners

I am a bit concerned. With all those young players coming in and the Raiders 1st round pick in 2011, the Patriots should be good again in 2013-2014. Of course Belly won't be coaching the Pats then. But still, it is potentially a lot of talent to hand to even a rookie head coach.

Going to be hard for the Jets to win back to back Super Bowls.

First offseason in a decade where I really am not worried about the Patriots.

Because I know that if this team [Jets] plays to its potential, there is no one in the division that can keep them from winning it. Great to have that feeling.

First offseason in a decade where I really am not worried about the Patriots.

Because I know that if this team [Jets] plays to its potential, there is no one in the division that can keep them from winning it. Great to have that feeling.

I hear you! But, don't get too overconfident before the season starts. Any number of things could derail the Jets chances... injuries, draft picks not playing to potential, Sanchez suffering a sophomore slump.

But, I agree, it looks good for now.

I hear you! But, don't get too overconfident before the season starts. Any number of things could derail the Jets chances... injuries, draft picks not playing to potential, Sanchez suffering a sophomore slump.

But, I agree, it looks good for now.

Hence the words "if" and "potential."

I am confident though. :D

I am a bit concerned. With all those young players coming in and the Raiders 1st round pick in 2011, the Patriots should be good again in 2013-2014. Of course Belly won't be coaching the Pats then. But still, it is potentially a lot of talent to hand to even a rookie head coach.

Going to be hard for the Jets to win back to back Super Bowls.

Always the funny man eh? :lol:

You need to be concerned about this year.

Um.......no.

wow.90 picks and only about 26 or so contributors.30% draft rate.i figure the average team has about a 40% to 50% draft rate

and then you hear these "experts" saying you only succeed in the NFL by building through the draft like the Patsies! HA!!

No because in 4 to 5 years none of those picks will be in N.E. Here have a look yourself..[url=http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=NWE&lg=NFL] . they simply SUCK at drafting players not worried! thats their downfall tho, they can't draft if they could they might never go away however due to their incompetence drafting players their run is soon to be over.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=NWE&lg=NFL

Horrid!

NEXT!

I wonder if they can get a 4th rounder for next year's draft when Moss decides he wants to slouch his way off the team and onto a contender.

Anyway, sucks that they have a lot of high picks in a good draft, but their track record outside of lucking out on Brady isn't very good, so whatever.

wow.90 picks and only about 26 or so contributors.30% draft rate.i figure the average team has about a 40% to 50% draft rate

While I would prefer the Patriots did a better job in scouting that measure is flawed and not how NE appoaches the draft.

To understand BB's appoach to the draft you must understand that he does not view the draft as the limiting factor to building a team. He views the limiting factor to building a team is the SALARY CAP.

If a team drafts a player pays him 110% the league min for two years while he plays a limited role on special teams and then gets cut, he is a guy that didn't work out but he is NOT a BUST.

If a team drafts a player pays him $10 million dollars a year for 4 years while playing a limited role on special teams...then that guy is a BUST.

The reason why the second player is a bust and the first is not, is because one player's salary prevented the team from signing a FA or resigning one of their own players, while the other did not.

I am willing to bet if you were to go back thru your list and assign dollar amounts to each of the players that didn't work out for NE and compare that to the dollar amounts of the players on other teams that didn't work out, NE would go out at the top of the list or very near the top of the list in terms of the least amount of money wasted on players who did not work out.

The idea that you need to build the team thru the draft is a myth. There are a lot of myths in the NFL. Another myth defense wins championships. The Saints did not have the best defense in the league. In fact is was below average and ranked #25. They did have the best offense in the league. Another myth is you must establish the run to be able to pass. That has been shattered over and over.

You don't need to build a team thru the draft, but you do need to be mindful of the salary cap to build a successful team. The draft can help in that aspect as drafted players can be cheaper than FA. However drafted players come with more risk. And first round players can be as expensive as FA players.

Draft picks are not the primary issue, money is. NE did not trade down in 2008 before taking Mayo because they wanted the Saints 3rd round pick, that was just a bonus. The reason for trading down was by drafting Mayo at #10 instead of #7 they saved several million of dollars of salary cap, enough to sign a mid- to lower- level FA player.

NE's reluctance to pay megabucks to unproven talent leads them to prefer to trade down instead of up, coupled with picking late in the round almost every year has resulted in a lot of misses and some hits. The hits have contriubed often at a level much higher than the salary they are being paid and the misses have not been very costly.

Overall the measure of a team is not percent of players drafted still on the team three years later. It is measured in Lomardi's, division titles, confernce titles, win %. By these measures NE has done an outstanding job building a team this decade.

Could NE do a better job in some of the draft picks? Absolutely. But at putting together a winning team, no one has done a better job than NE this decade.

The only thing your stat proves it that measuring the percent of players on the team from the draft is a useless stat. As any stat that doesn't correlate with success of the team is meaningless.

Considering how mediocre last year's Pats draft was I'm not worried about them drafting poorly this year. And for what its worth the former Patsies drafted poorly too. McDaniels had a bad draft, Mangini everyone knows about and KC didn't do that well.

Medicore? About the only one who looks questionable is Brace.

Vollmer is the LT of the future and I hope the future is this year. Chung and Butler looked good. Edelman, Ingram and Pryor all were late round hits. Tate and McKenzie were injury and we shall see what they can or cannot do this year.

Look at some of those numbers to the left of the picks. Nearly 2/3rd of the picks are in the 4th round or lower.

Granted, that is some of there best work, but for the most part they did well in the first three rounds.

Of course there are notable exceptions, like Maroney on the 1st, Chad Jackson inthe second and even Bethel Johnson in the second.

Always the funny man eh? :lol:

You need to be concerned about this year.

It hide shis insecurity.

I wonder if they can get a 4th rounder for next year's draft when Moss decides he wants to slouch his way off the team and onto a contender.

Like LT?

The Jets have bought themselves a malcontent and sulker.

Anyway, sucks that they have a lot of high picks in a good draft, but their track record outside of lucking out on Brady isn't very good, so whatever.

You cant be serious.

Vollmer is the LT of the future and I hope the future is this year. Chung and Butler looked good. Edelman, Ingram and Pryor all were late round hits. Tate and McKenzie were injury and we shall see what they can or cannot do this year.

Look at some of those numbers to the left of the picks. Nearly 2/3rd of the picks are in the 4th round or lower.

Granted, that is some of there best work, but for the most part they did well in the first three rounds.

Of course there are notable exceptions, like Maroney on the 1st, Chad Jackson inthe second and even Bethel Johnson in the second.

It hide shis insecurity.

Chung blows dude, Not even sure Butler will be more than serviceable and Vollmer is

a big ?

Mediocre doesn't mean bad. I think the draft the Pats had deserves to be called mediocre. Vollmer looks good but the pick they traded away in the first round became Oher who will be a better tackle than Vollmer.

Chung and Butler look okay, but nothing special. Sean Smith looks like a better cornerback than Butler right now and considering how much physical talent Smith has I don't expect Butler to overtake him.

Chung isn't going to be a difference maker and neither will Ron Brace. Rey Maualuga was available and he's a difference maker and he can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and can play both inside and out. Last year he played outside linebacker for the first time in his whole life, did pretty good, better than Chung. Grabbing Maualuga would have gone a long way to fixing NE's problem with not having enough quality linebackers, he was a player who would have made a difference.

The Pats need a running back and both Lesean McCoy and Shonn Greene were available, those players would have helped the Pats more than Ron Brace.

Edelman was a great pick, maybe the steal of the whole draft. But that's not enough to lift this draft up above mediocrity.

Mediocre doesn't mean bad. I think the draft the Pats had deserves to be called mediocre. Vollmer looks good but the pick they traded away in the first round became Oher who will be a better tackle than Vollmer.

Chung and Butler look okay, but nothing special. Sean Smith looks like a better cornerback than Butler right now and considering how much physical talent Smith has I don't expect Butler to overtake him.

Chung isn't going to be a difference maker and neither will Ron Brace. Rey Maualuga was available and he's a difference maker and he can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and can play both inside and out. Last year he played outside linebacker for the first time in his whole life, did pretty good, better than Chung. Grabbing Maualuga would have gone a long way to fixing NE's problem with not having enough quality linebackers, he was a player who would have made a difference.

The Pats need a running back and both Lesean McCoy and Shonn Greene were available, those players would have helped the Pats more than Ron Brace.

Edelman was a great pick, maybe the steal of the whole draft. But that's not enough to lift this draft up above mediocrity.

Just for the record, Chung had more sacks then Mauluga. ;)

Funny, there is a lot of 'speculation' being passed off as fact in your statements.

Oher may have a better career then Vollmer. It remains to be seen who will be better. Vollmer handled some real good edge rushers in his starts. Something Light never did. What makes it more positive for the Patriots, he did not need help like Light always did. I think he showed a lot especially considering he has barely been playing 5 years.

Chung and Butler made plays in their limited playing time. Something the Patriots D needs...play makers. Again, they might be JAG, but they showed something. Unlike Brace who was on the field for some of the Patriots worst plays last year. As far as Sean Smith, 59 picks were made before him. Knock Bill if you ant, but there are a lot of other Coach/Gms looking a little foolish at this point.

Again, it is too early to tell with any pick. I could see at least 4 picks being starters, plus their long snapper and a super sub in Pryor who with Edelman was probably their best picks. Tate and LcKenzie we will see if they come back from injuries and with Brace..who knows.

I think most draft grades were about a B and that is a fair grade for their first years.

I'm not concerned. We are far more talented than the Patsies they're not going to be able to draft enough talent to make it equal. The only reason why the division goes through NE is because of Brady, Moss and BB.

A bunch of draft picks dont worry me at all.

Archived