"King of New York: Jets or Giants"

gg

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5045224

SHe quoted some funny fans :P I think that chick, Naomi needs her own show. :D

Giants vs. Jets: Who owns this town?

Rejuvenated by a playoff run, Gang Green is aiming to tip the balance

King of New York: Jets or Giants?

One of the latest skirmishes in the ongoing standoff between fans of New York's two NFL franchises was sparked this offseason by two simple initials: "L" and "T."

For Giants fans, with infinitely more Super Bowl titles than the Jets in the past 40 years, those letters will always refer to venerable and combustible linebacker Lawrence Taylor. The problem started when trade rumors began flying about running back LaDainian Tomlinson possibly coming to the Jets. Fans of the Jets on Twitter, which limits comments to 140 characters, started abbreviating Tomlinson's name.

To LT.

Hey now, said Giants fans via cyberspace, how about showing a little respect and calling Tomlinson LDT or LT2? Too late. It was LT's numbers versus TJ's -- as in Thomas Jones, the back whom Tomlinson replaced. It just had a ring to it, though one Jets fan said he could relate to Giants loyalists.

"Don't be calling their quarterback Broadway Eli," said Erik Manassy, who runs the JetsTwit blog.

The LT takeover is but one of the ways the Jets and their tribe of followers have tweaked the Giants in recent history. It leaves New York's NFC team in the predicament of being upstaged by a franchise it has been pretty well able to ignore for the last 30 years, except when the rent was due.

Which of the two will generate more buzz once training camp arrives? It's so close, you might as well flip a coin -- making sure a representative of each team is there to witness the outcome.

Let's outline the way the Jets were able to close the image gap. Gang Green added a coach in Rex Ryan who predicted his team would visit President Barack Obama in the White House, went to the AFC championship in his first season, was caught on camera flipping off some dude in Florida and had lap-band surgery to lose weight.

Whatcha got, Tom Coughlin? What up, son?

If Coughlin wants a headline in this town he'll have to employ some mild profanity for starters, maybe consider developing a medical condition, because the ante has officially been upped.

Ryan isn't the only personality on the Jets. The team traded up to get a marquee name in quarterback Mark Sanchez, who made his shirtless debut with a pictorial in GQ, winning over the ladies but inadvertently giving his teammates material to mock him with for years.

On the Giants, the hard-living, brash-talking LT has been replaced by players like quarterback Eli Manning, who is polite and mild-mannered and zzzzzzzz, what was I saying? Right, Manning isn't about to guarantee a Super Bowl victory.

"He's a mayo sandwich," says Jets fan Naomi Lindower. "When he comes in for a press conference you have to make sure there's enough coffee."

But Giants fans might not be so interested in having their coach act like an angry driver who just got cut off on the Cross Bronx Expressway. Coughlin and his dignity have gotten the Giants yet another Super Bowl win. Eli may not be posing on some island beachscape, but when the Giants win, he is lauded for his steadiness under pressure.

"I don't hate the Jets," says Giants fan Jason Mollica. "I mildly detest them, but they should stop talking until they win a Super Bowl."

To which a Jets fan like Lindower might say, "Weren't the Giants like 31st in defense? Honestly, I think the Jets' front office could have scored on the Giants last year."

The Giants were actually ranked 13th in the regular season in team defense, but Big Blue really did win the most high-profile honor at stake recently: hosting the first regular-season game this fall at the new Giants Stadium, or whatever they're calling it. The Giants won a coin toss, apparently held after midnight at NFL headquarters, where all participants were reportedly initiated, sworn to secrecy and given back tattoos in the shape of the late Wellington Mara.

Jets owner Woody Johnson was outraged that not a single representative of the organization, not even his caddie, was allowed to verify the outcome. Rather than seethe quietly into his cognac, Johnson had his legion of minions draft a press release and an objective news article to voice his displeasure.

That got him nowhere.

But days later word got out that his team will be featured on HBO's "Hard Knocks," meaning that each inappropriate hand gesture will be filmed in HD and beamed into living rooms across America, a real boost to the Jets' image.

For Jets fans, the days of being second-class NFL citizens might be over, or at least taking a hiatus. Who needs titles like "classy organization" when you have captured the hearts of NFL fans outside your base, in a PSL year no less?

"Everybody is going green," Lindower said, adding that going blue sounds like something requiring medical attention.

Let the fireworks begin.

Jane McManus covers the NFL for ESPNNewYork.com.

"He's a mayo sandwich," says Jets fan xxxxx xxxxxxx. "When he comes in for a press conference you have to make sure there's enough coffee."

It's our own gg making us proud - way to go girl!

.page-actions li {display:inline;float:left;line-height:17px;padding:0 4px 0 0;} .page-actions ul {float:right;padding-top:4px;width:auto;_width:413px;} .page-actions a.count_bubble { background:url("http://a1.espncdn.com/prod/assets/count_bubble_right.png") no-repeat scroll right top transparent; color:#225FB2; display:block; float:left; margin-right:0px; margin-top:-4px; _margin-top:0px; min-width:25px; padding:0; text-align:center; } .page-actions a.count_bubble span { background:url("http://a2.espncdn.com/prod/assets/count_bubble_left.png") no-repeat scroll left top transparent; display:block; font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size:10px; line-height:16px; padding:5px 4px 11px 6px; _padding:2px 4px 11px 6px; } div.topsy_theme_blue a.topsy-sm-total {margin-left:1px;} div.topsy_theme_blue a.topsy-sm-retweet {margin-left:0;} .page-actions { padding:0; display:block; width:100%; } div.subhead cite.source {_width:162px;} .notebook-container .mod-page-header .page-actions a.count_bubble {color:#225FB2;padding:0 0 4px 0;} .mod-article-title .page-actions cite.source a {margin:0;padding:0;} .notebook-container .mod-page-header .page-actions {width:auto;} div.topsy_theme_blue a.topsy-sm-retweet:link, div.topsy_theme_blue a.topsy-sm-retweet:visited {_background:#336699 !important;} #tweetmeme_button a.count { color:#424242; display:block; float:left; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; margin-left:5px; margin-right:5px; padding-left:0; } #tweetmeme_button .retweet:hover, #tweetmeme_button .retweet.selected { background-position:0 -61px; color:#80B62A; } #tweetmeme_button .retweet { background:url("http://zulu.tweetmeme.com/widget.gif") no-repeat scroll 0 -45px transparent; color:#FFFFFF; cursor:pointer; display:block; float:left; font-size:11px; height:16px; line-height:16px; padding:0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:50px; } #tweetmeme_button a { border:medium none; text-decoration:none; } #tweetmeme_button { font-family:arial;* .

I'm not sure I agree with this. I might, but I'm just not sure

the jets winning doesn't mean giants fans feel any different, and the giants winning doesn't mean jets fans feel any different

I guess the only people effected by a hot team are the casual fans or fense sitters, and who gives a crap about them

Way to go Naomi. Sniffle, sniffle, brought tears to my eyes!

Laughed at the video. Darren Woodson, what a dope. "The Jets didn't even win the division." Duh, so what? Champ Game *caugh caugh*. Jesus H, I hope we kill everyone next year just because we can. And no worries, I get his point that the Giants have three SBs, but what have you done for me lately? Well, not me specifically because I hate them, but you get me.

Damn gg -- I didn't know you were quoted. That is awesome.

Also didn't know that Jane McManus is part of ESPN New York. Pretty cool...

yep! i am using my 15 mins of fame 1 min at a time :lol:

Jane ROCKS! i love her stuff.

Way to go Naomi. Sniffle, sniffle, brought tears to my eyes!

Laughed at the video. Darren Woodson, what a dope. "The Jets didn't even win the division." Duh, so what? Champ Game *caugh caugh*. Jesus H, I hope we kill everyone next year just because we can. And no worries, I get his point that the Giants have three SBs, but what have you done for me lately? Well, not me specifically because I hate them, but you get me.

thanks jeto. i hope you are right. we are getting close! now lets hope that sanchez can run in TC, and D'Brick and Leon get their contracts..

If this is what we'll be seeing from ESPN NY what a joke. They launch the site with this corny article? GG aside, this article is a freaking joke. They also had another pathetic article about the NETS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5045224

SHe quoted some funny fans :P I think that chick, Naomi needs her own show. :D

Giants vs. Jets: Who owns this town?

Rejuvenated by a playoff run, Gang Green is aiming to tip the balance

One of the latest skirmishes in the ongoing standoff between fans of New York's two NFL franchises was sparked this offseason by two simple initials: "L" and "T."

For Giants fans, with infinitely more Super Bowl titles than the Jets in the past 40 years, those letters will always refer to venerable and combustible linebacker Lawrence Taylor. The problem started when trade rumors began flying about running back LaDainian Tomlinson possibly coming to the Jets. Fans of the Jets on Twitter, which limits comments to 140 characters, started abbreviating Tomlinson's name.

To LT.

Hey now, said Giants fans via cyberspace, how about showing a little respect and calling Tomlinson LDT or LT2? Too late. It was LT's numbers versus TJ's -- as in Thomas Jones, the back whom Tomlinson replaced. It just had a ring to it, though one Jets fan said he could relate to Giants loyalists.

"Don't be calling their quarterback Broadway Eli," said Erik Manassy, who runs the JetsTwit blog.

The LT takeover is but one of the ways the Jets and their tribe of followers have tweaked the Giants in recent history. It leaves New York's NFC team in the predicament of being upstaged by a franchise it has been pretty well able to ignore for the last 30 years, except when the rent was due.

Which of the two will generate more buzz once training camp arrives? It's so close, you might as well flip a coin -- making sure a representative of each team is there to witness the outcome.

Let's outline the way the Jets were able to close the image gap. Gang Green added a coach in Rex Ryan who predicted his team would visit President Barack Obama in the White House, went to the AFC championship in his first season, was caught on camera flipping off some dude in Florida and had lap-band surgery to lose weight.

Whatcha got, Tom Coughlin? What up, son?

If Coughlin wants a headline in this town he'll have to employ some mild profanity for starters, maybe consider developing a medical condition, because the ante has officially been upped.

Ryan isn't the only personality on the Jets. The team traded up to get a marquee name in quarterback Mark Sanchez, who made his shirtless debut with a pictorial in GQ, winning over the ladies but inadvertently giving his teammates material to mock him with for years.

On the Giants, the hard-living, brash-talking LT has been replaced by players like quarterback Eli Manning, who is polite and mild-mannered and zzzzzzzz, what was I saying? Right, Manning isn't about to guarantee a Super Bowl victory.

"He's a mayo sandwich," says Jets fan Naomi Lindower. "When he comes in for a press conference you have to make sure there's enough coffee."

But Giants fans might not be so interested in having their coach act like an angry driver who just got cut off on the Cross Bronx Expressway. Coughlin and his dignity have gotten the Giants yet another Super Bowl win. Eli may not be posing on some island beachscape, but when the Giants win, he is lauded for his steadiness under pressure.

"I don't hate the Jets," says Giants fan Jason Mollica. "I mildly detest them, but they should stop talking until they win a Super Bowl."

To which a Jets fan like Lindower might say, "Weren't the Giants like 31st in defense? Honestly, I think the Jets' front office could have scored on the Giants last year."

The Giants were actually ranked 13th in the regular season in team defense, but Big Blue really did win the most high-profile honor at stake recently: hosting the first regular-season game this fall at the new Giants Stadium, or whatever they're calling it. The Giants won a coin toss, apparently held after midnight at NFL headquarters, where all participants were reportedly initiated, sworn to secrecy and given back tattoos in the shape of the late Wellington Mara.

Jets owner Woody Johnson was outraged that not a single representative of the organization, not even his caddie, was allowed to verify the outcome. Rather than seethe quietly into his cognac, Johnson had his legion of minions draft a press release and an objective news article to voice his displeasure.

That got him nowhere.

But days later word got out that his team will be featured on HBO's "Hard Knocks," meaning that each inappropriate hand gesture will be filmed in HD and beamed into living rooms across America, a real boost to the Jets' image.

For Jets fans, the days of being second-class NFL citizens might be over, or at least taking a hiatus. Who needs titles like "classy organization" when you have captured the hearts of NFL fans outside your base, in a PSL year no less?

"Everybody is going green," Lindower said, adding that going blue sounds like something requiring medical attention.

Let the fireworks begin.

Jane McManus covers the NFL for ESPNNewYork.com.

I can't stand this Jane chick, I think 1) she is no better than a decent highschool newspaper reporter style-wise and 2) just inaccurate, see the example below. Also, I just really lost any interest in her when she wrote some absurd piece on the Jets cheerleaders and tried to insinuate some kind of racial crap into the argument.

From this article

" but Big Blue really did win the most high-profile honor at stake recently: hosting the first regular-season game this fall at the new Giants Stadium, or whatever they're calling it. The Giants won a coin toss, apparently held after midnight at NFL headquarters, where all participants were reportedly initiated, sworn to secrecy and given back tattoos in the shape of the late Wellington Mara.

That got him nowhere."

Ok, so first off, it isn't new giants stadium. Second, the Giants did NOT win the most high profile honor (see next point). Third, the Jets arguing got them nowhere? Well do you consider week 1 Monday night football as nowhere and not a high profile honor? How is the only nationally televised night game (ok opening week hast 2 actually staggered starts) NOT more important than 1 of a handful of afternoon games?Not a single mention in the article about the monday night game.Sorry, this writer is just terrible.

Since when is the Giant's three SBs "infinitely more than" the Jet's one SB?

It is when you are a worthless hack writer who gets a gig as a sportswriter due to the novelty of being a female. I am 1000% sure that some of the female posters here could do a better job than this woman.

It is when you are a worthless hack writer who gets a gig as a sportswriter due to the novelty of being a female. I am 1000% sure that some of the female posters here could do a better job than this woman.

She really does suck. They shouldve given the gig to Bob Glauber.

LOL! you guys do realize that this was a tongue in cheek light article.. :D

OY!

Jane is terrific.

i didnt know being a woman is a novelty... here i thought we were at least 50% of the population. who knew?

:P

LOL! you guys do realize that this was a tongue in cheek light article.. :D

OY!

Jane is terrific.

i didnt know being a woman is a novelty... here i thought we were at least 50% of the population. who knew?

Hey, its great that you got quoted, and my critique has nothing against you or your comments obviously. I just have never been a fan of her work, i don't think her writing chops are much better than a decent highschool newspaper journalist, and i question how much football knowledge she even has. I also really lost it for her when she wrote that stupid article about the cheerleaders and stuck some racially charged crap in there. As a female sports beat writer, did she really need to go and do the critical piece about cheerleaders? I mean come on, if i was a woman sports writer who wanted to be taken seriously than that is the last article i would have written.

As far as my novelty comment, yeah you are about 50% of the population, slightly more i believe, but you knew exactly what i meant. While their are plenty of female writers and journalists, sports writers and journalism is very much a male dominated field, so a female beat writer is a novelty, especially one who isn't a superstar writer to begin with. Let's not deny the obvious fact and turn this into something i didn't say.

BTW, i may be wrong, but a jets player, revis i think, was giving some remarks and mentioned a double move, to which jane questioned him, "what do you mean a double move," to which revis incredulously replied, "you know, a double move is a double move" This is like a Knicks beat writer asking what a low post move is.

I like the "at least 50 %" comment, because the population is indeed a little more than 50 % female because women live longer, and while girls die more often in childbirth than boys, technology is allowing that gap to close too since there are fewer deaths in childbirth in total.

Another reason is that, while women attempt suicide more often, men are more successful at it. Men choose the most violent means possible to die (bullet, jumping off building, etc) whereas many women use pills or slash their wrists incorrectly (DOWN the road, not ACROSS it, ladies), possibly because they are looking for attention, not death, when they do so.

But I digress. :rl: Nice work, gg. :cheers:

Archived