Alan Faneca Waived: MERGED

NJ

Faneca was the glue that held the O-line together. I think they should have waited one year to release him. In actuality, his contract for 2010 is $2 million as they have to pay him the $5.2 regardless. I mean, he can just sit home and get that. But, all I have to say is Good Luck Alan! You are a class act!:cheers:

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if the reports of him declining to restructure are true.

If he decline to restructure, how can he be upset about being cut? If you wanted to end your career here then you should have done everything you could to stay here.

Nah, i think the Raiders are set on the run blocking front. They have Gallery who, although a bust at LT, has been a beast inside at LG. They need some pass protection, not Faneca's strength at all.

I wouldn't put it past Davis though.

BTW, faneca may have been upset but he was pretty classy and understanding with his comments.

Faneca , IMO, has always been a class act. I wish him well.

This move still is big question mark for us- to slot a rookie is showing some gumption on the Jets part - mess with success is always tricky.

It's unlikely they slotted a rookie to take his place. More likely that they slotted Slauson to jump in there but Vlad will have the opportunity to beat him out for the job. If Ducasse learns fast enough that he beats out Slauson then great.

I'm shocked that Faneca's upset about the Jets cutting him. Who saw that coming?

Faneca was the glue that held the O-line together. I think they should have waited one year to release him. In actuality, his contract for 2010 is $2 million as they have to pay him the $5.2 regardless. I mean, he can just sit home and get that. But, all I have to say is Good Luck Alan! You are a class act!:cheers:

Faneca was brought in to bring stability to the line between youngsters Nick & Brick. That job is complete. Last year, he was the tear in the OL, not the glue that held it together. He was it's least effective player, and it's most expensive. The Jets would want him to compete for the starting job this year -at a minimum- and that was going to be a difficult task given his salary. Tough to sit a $7M+ guard on the bench.

Jets also have contract talks with Mangold and Ferguson coming up. All they'd have to do is point at Faneca and say, "I clearly deserve a lot more than he makes." The Jets are firing the first shot in that potential salvo by saying they know Faneca's not worth what they were paying him.

Jets got a burley 2nd rounder in the house, and already had a couple capable backups in place. Not worried about cutting Faneca at all.

Cutting him to save 2 million dollars was retarded, this move is a fail!

Atleast keep him on to mentor the young O-line men. Now we have a rookie and a 2nd year lineman starting.

Ummm, we still have three veteran Pro Bowlers on our o-line. Something tells me that veteran leadership ain't gonna be an issue there.

Ummm, we still have three veteran Pro Bowlers on our o-line. Something tells me that veteran leadership ain't gonna be an issue there.

Who said anything about leadership? Who knows wth Slauson can do? And a raw rookie? We had the best Oline in Football with Alan Faneca no need to f-ck with something if it aint broke.

Atleast keep him on to mentor the young O-line men.

Yet another notion that is far too pervasive to actually be true. Ferguson and Mangold are better for having played with Faneca not because he's some great teacher but because they had to work overtime to prop him up.

Who said anything about leadership? Who knows wth Slauson can do? And a raw rookie? We had the best Oline in Football with Alan Faneca no need to f-ck with something if it aint broke.

He was getting Sanchez killed. The guy had become a terrible pass blocker.

This team is going to pass more this year. We need someone who won't be a sieve.

In retrospect what really bothers me about this move is that: first, I'm happy we drafted Vlad Dukes because we get depth on the line. Second, they release Faneca, so we once again have no depth on the line all over again. Makes it feel like a wasted pick in a sense...

Jets got a burley 2nd rounder in the house, and already had a couple capable backups in place. Not worried about cutting Faneca at all.

Trouble with backups is that sometimes they step up into a starting role, and sometimes they get exposed.

Look at Adrien Clarke. Very high draft choice for another team, but didn't make it. Came here and looked OK as a backup, but when put in a starting role, disaster.

Unless they really feel Slauson is ready to take over full time, I'd feel better if we can get our hands on a solid veteran.

look this situation is much different than the kendall situation. when we let kendall go over a million dollars we were sticking clarke in between 2 young guys who were still coming into their own. it didn't turn out too well. and while our line got better when faneca was put between them it wasn't solely because of him repplacing clarke. mangold has become the best center in the league and ferguson has become a top LT in the league. so now we have 2 pro bowl players (mangold is also an all-pro) that will bookend slauson or ducasse. in the mean time the coaching staff has obviously decided that faneca's play has dropped off considerably and that it was time to get a replacement in. i'm not extremely worried. fwiw, ducasse allowed almost no sacks in his college career and he will be on the inside now where he should be able to use his size adn strength better. i don't think we'll see much of a drop-off in our lines run blocking and it's hard to imagine that we could get worse at pass blocking considering faneca was just about the worst LG in the league in that respect.

Look at Adrien Clarke. Very high draft choice for another team, but didn't make it. Came here and looked OK as a backup, but when put in a starting role, disaster.

Aten wants to clown you, but I'll be more diplomatic.

Adrien Clarke was drafted in the 7th round of the 2004 draft. The 227th pick.

Aten wants to clown you, but I'll be more diplomatic.

Adrien Clarke was drafted in the 7th round of the 2004 draft. The 227th pick.

And he was cut by Philadelphia two years later.

This situation is much more like when we cut Mawae and drafted Mangold. Instant upgrade even though Mawae wasn't done yet.

BS. The glue?? He was the worst pass blocker on team.

And he was bad mouthing management over TJ and Feely ousters.

These aren't bad comments at all actually. He had a lot of praise for the Jets and I can definitely understand him wanting to finish his career with one team. He either matured the past 2 years or he really did like it here, he was not happy with the Steelers, I remember that. He had a lot of sharp words for them.

I think Faneca is all but done. I can see a team with a young LT bringing him in, maybe a team like the Rams. He won't help much in terms of blocking but maybe he will improve the players around him.

I'm wondering if the reports of him declining to restructure are true.

If he decline to restructure, how can he be upset about being cut? If you wanted to end your career here then you should have done everything you could to stay here.

Like the article says, he is guaranteed the 5 million no matter what so he can sign for the vet minimum which is a few hundred thousand, why should he have restructured? Generally a player is only going to restructure to shift money around for cap reasons.

I don't really understand why the jets did this, not much of a savings, but i have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

the team wants to pass more that means more pass blocking, and less of what Faneca is good at...

when Rex Ryan said we want the team to get better every day alot of people didn't understand that comment.

for whom the bell tolls, time marches on

Every day that goes by, Alan Faneca gets worse not better. The Jets didn't want to be there when his decline reached the ground floor.

Yes He's a 9x pro bowler, made a ton of money and seen alot of tough action. but at this point he cannot be as hungry and effective as some of these young bucks.

if mangold and brick get paid like vets they have to be the guys helping out the other players... not getting helped by Faneca.

Like the article says, he is guaranteed the 5 million no matter what so he can sign for the vet minimum which is a few hundred thousand, why should he have restructured? Generally a player is only going to restructure to shift money around for cap reasons.

I don't really understand why the jets did this, not much of a savings, but i have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

did you hear the press conference with rex and mike t? he was cut because they don't think he's a starter on our line anymore.

I could care less what Faneca graded out to be at the end of the year or any of that crap, just let me say i'm happy he is no longer a JET.:)

Not as happy as I am that Marshall's a Dolphin. Gotta love offseason bipartisanship.

I could care less what Faneca graded out to be at the end of the year or any of that crap, just let me say i'm happy he is no longer a JET.:)

That's about how I feel about Jason Taylor. I'm glad he's no longer on the Dolphins.

Archived