Faneca Signs With Arizona

flgreen

Adam_Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca reached agreement with Arizona on a one-year, $2.5 million deal. Nice pickup for the Cardinals. 11 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Adam_Schefter

One other note on Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca's $2.5 million deal with Arizona - it's fully guaranteed. 7 minutes ago via UberTwitter

[url=http://twitter.com/revis24]

Anyone think that releasing him, knowing he would get signed to a decent deal, thus allowing us to sign a different player factored into the equation?? Possibly a player in FA we are looking at?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that allows us to do anything. It's got to be one of our free agents that signs, not a release... so releasing him still makes little sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that allows us to do anything. It's got to be one of our free agents that signs, not a release... so releasing him still makes little sense.

Tanny pretty much explained it by saying Faneca would have been the backup and didnt want him breathing down the young guns necks...

For once the JETS are cutting loose before it is too late, be happy.

Absolutely. I'm sure the Jets offered him a salary cut and backup position to help develop Slaus and Duc, but Faneca was reluctant. It's time to pass the baton to Fergie and Mangold and for them step up to be leaders and mentors for these young guys. This is now their line and their team. Two homegrown draftees. I love it and it's going to work extremely well - more growth for Fergie and Mangold.

1 year for 2.5, down from 7.5, right ?

I think this vindicates tanny

but I have to say I 'm happy the jills didn't pick him up :)

No he is getting 5.5 million from the Jets.

And 2.5 million from the Cardinals.

He just got a raise. I think this vindicates Faneca actually.

At least he didn't sign with the Fins, like that "classy" former QB that was injured all the time. You know when Favre pulls his drama queen bull****, at least he was good for a long time and an actual top player. But when Pennington does it? That's just insulting.

Agreed. Faneca told the Jets he was going to play for 7.75 million. He found a new team in a few days and the contract was simple to negotiate. Give him enough money to match what he would have made with the Jets. Easy to do. Faneca would have been proven wrong if he had to wait until July or August to find a team and then was signed for the veterans minimum.

Anyone think that releasing him, knowing he would get signed to a decent deal, thus allowing us to sign a different player factored into the equation?? Possibly a player in FA we are looking at?

Doesn't work that way. We have to lose someone who's contract expired on its own.

Agreed. Faneca told the Jets he was going to play for 7.75 million. He found a new team in a few days and the contract was simple to negotiate. Give him enough money to match what he would have made with the Jets. Easy to do. Faneca would have been proven wrong if he had to wait until July or August to find a team and then was signed for the veterans minimum.

I don't agree.

Faneca got 2.5. SURE, he gets 5.25 from the Jets, but NOONE was going to pay him 7.5 this year. If he was willing to play for 5, he could have played and kept his long term contract in place. Instead, he'll get 7.75 this year, and if he doesn't play well, get 0 next year.

I don't agree.

Faneca got 2.5. SURE, he gets 5.25 from the Jets, but NOONE was going to pay him 7.5 this year. If he was willing to play for 5, he could have played and kept his long term contract in place. Instead, he'll get 7.75 this year, and if he doesn't play well, get 0 next year.

But had he played poorly the Jets would have cut him anyway and he still would get 0 next year. He maximized his value by not agreeing to a restructure. Any way you slice it he comes out ahead on this deal.

I was speaking more to market value than take home pay

I think it's safe to say there wasn't much of a bidding war going on if "all" he got was 2.5

Nice spin.

The most a team would pay him is 2.5 million, period.

Not for nothing, but these aren't bad leftovers for a team that's really close to being really good if Leinart is any kind of good QB.

I think they lost WAY too much during the off season to even come close to making the playoffs this year.

Matt Leinart/Derek Anderson getting more protection. The big ? in Arizona will be can Leinart/Anderson fill Warner's shoes? Doubt it.

The problem with this statement is that Faneca's biggest weakness and the primary reason he is no longer a Jet is that he is a lousy pass blocker.

The problem with this statement is that Faneca's biggest weakness and the primary reason he is no longer a Jet is that he is a lousy pass blocker.

He's better than anything Arizona had before hand.

Archived