AP: Jets rookie bails on brother's wedding for shot with Jets

Flash73

It's a sacrifice, but I can't imagine anyone not wanting his brother to take a shot at the NFL, even if means missing the wedding. The groom can find a substitute for his brother's place at the ceremony-he's not going to find a replacement family member in the NFL.

Big mistake. Even if his brother wanted him to go to try outs, he still should have went to the wedding.

Family is always first. The NFL isn't going anywhere.

The NFL may not be going anywhere but his chance most certainly would've. Since most of the camps are this weekend, he would've missed his chance.

Ghey. Family always comes first.

If you're good enough to try out for NFL, you should know that.

The problem is, he may know but if he missed the opportunity the NFL may not know it...which is what really counts.

I think it was actually great that his brother understood. Marriage is usually a once in a life time thing and being undrafted this opportunity could be a once in a life time opportunity as well.

Big mistake. Even if his brother wanted him to go to try outs, he still should have went to the wedding.

While I understand this point of view, you can look at it both ways. I and I'm sure these guys agree, family always comes first, but it goes both ways. The brother getting married realizes family is most important and is putting his Brother's best interests before his own.

This is a once in a lifetime shot to fulfill a lifetime goal, if he were to be do anything but support his brother going and trying out, than he'd be being selfish and not putting family first.

In all honesty, between waiting for his bride at the alter, getting pictures taken, making the rounds to all the guests etc. he would barely get a few minutes alone with his brother. While I'm sure it would have meant a lot for him to have his brother there, he knows the right place for him is trying out for the Jets. At least that's how I'd feel for my brother or best guy friends.

Lady Jet:

So what happens 5 years later after the football brother never gets another training camp tryout and the groom gets divorced after having two trial separations and three restraining orders and is now living in football brother's basement rent-free?

Football brother sure could use an NFL salary right about then.

Thank God nobody follows your advice. :)

This is a once in a lifetime shot to fulfill a lifetime goal, if he were to be do anything but support his brother going and trying out, than he'd be being selfish and not putting family first.

t

Fine. But if he's "that" good, the NFL would let him attend the wedding, no?

Geesh! :)

He stinks, he's blowing off his family, he won't make the NFL and he's a loser. Thats's what I see.

t

He stinks, he's blowing off his family, he won't make the NFL and he's a loser. Thats's what I see.

I understand that line of thought, I definitely do, but a lot of times in life it's not only about how good you are, but the opportunities that you get to show just how good you are. There are a lot of people that are good in this world, but only so many who get a break like this.

Besides, in this generation, this is just a starter marriage, he'll just be raw for the real one in a handful of years ;) haha

Lady Jet:

So what happens 5 years later after the football brother never gets another training camp tryout and the groom gets divorced after having two trial separations and three restraining orders and is now living in football brother's basement rent-free?

Football brother sure could use an NFL salary right about then.

Thank God nobody follows your advice. :)

Obviously, the guys are losers.! :)

And thank g for my advice. Otherwise the world would be full of losers. ;):)

I understand that line of thought, I definitely do, but a lot of times in life it's not only about how good you are, but the opportunities that you get to show just how good you are. There are a lot of people that are good in this world, but only so many who get a break like this.

Call me old fashioned? But this is exactly the type of situation that you can showcase who you are. For better or worse. ha,ha,. :)

t

If he was "that good," he probably could've skipped camp and still made the team. I'm sure Kyle Wilson could've gone to his brother's wedding this weekend if he wanted to. But this is this kid Buckman's one shot. If you read the article, it's like he's doing it for his whole town. I'm sure the family is excited for both brothers this weekend.

You know, his brother and future sister-in-law could have chosen a different week for their wedding from back when they were planning it.

And it sounds like the brother understands it. If his brother narrowly misses the cut, and attended his wedding, both parties will wonder "what if" pretty much forever. Particularly if that was the day the guy who made it in his place had a "he just made the team" day in camp.

There is no perfectly right answer. There is only the one they could live with best. Only way this turns out perfect is if he went to the wedding and made the team anyway. But that's easy for us to say from behind our computer keyboards.

Let's say you had the talent to make the team, and one day they call you up giving you a shot. Do you go their or go to your brother's wedding?

I highly doubt if you were in his position that you would reject the jets.

to everyone passing judgement on this kid;

he is a long shot to make a roster, so if he blows off rookie camp his NFL career d-o-n-e done

his brother understands that, and saved a spot for him to honor that

to honor that

so if he's cool with it, no one should care

That's total BS. Not everyone is into family or has a happy one. I'd miss going to any family functions even thanksgiving to sit @ home & watch the JETS on Sundays. Then again my family kinda sucks so whatever.

This guy has a shot to make his dream reality, screw a wedding. He can see the pix on Facebook later.

That's total BS. Not everyone is into family or has a happy one. I'd miss going to any family functions even thanksgiving to sit @ home & watch the JETS on Sundays. Then again my family kinda sucks so whatever.

This guy has a shot to make his dream reality, screw a wedding. He can see the pix on Facebook later.

FTW

I've told the story before, but we watched the Kenny O - Marino shootout in the limo between the church and reception at my cousin's wedding. September 21, 1986. They were pissed that they had to wait for us for the introductions, but ****

em, they should have picked a different date.

Bottom line is getting a call like that 9/10 times is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you absolutely do not pass that up. The only one who could have possibly come off as a dick in that situation is if his brother had an actual problem with it.

A wedding is an event. Nothing more, nothing less. If anyone would really be happy with seeing a family member miss out on something like that to put on a ****ing monkey suit and get plastered at an open bar...get real.

Archived