Leon Washington will play with rod in leg

NIGHT STALKER

Posted by Evan Silva on May 2, 2010 6:13 PM ET

Somewhat buried in an Associated Press fluff piece on the Seahawks' running back corps is a nugget that newly acquired returner/tailback Leon Washington will have to play this season with a stabilizing rod in his surgically repaired leg.

Washington suffered a compound leg fracture, breaking both his tibia and fibula, seven games into last season. The 27-year-old claims to have resumed running over a month ago, and intends to rejoin practices at the start of training camp.

On the Saturday of draft weekend, the Jets traded Washington and a seventh-round pick to Seattle for a fifth-round pick. New York used the draft choice to select Kentucky fullback John Conner, a.k.a. "The Terminator."

It's unclear how playing with the rod will affect Washington's performance, but it doesn't sound good. Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum admitted after the trade that his team's medical staff wasn't sure Washington would be ready for Week One.

The meager compensation also indicates that the Jets were unconvinced Washington would regain all of his explosiveness.

While the draft-day risk taken by the Seahawks was worthwhile for such a dynamic talent, it would seemingly be a surprise if Washington were his old self to start the season.

For anybody whose still hung up on us trading Leon, this adds more logs to the fire. His injury sounds worse than expected, and it could be our saving grace he didn't sign that extension a few years ago...because all signs point to him having a down year this year. The more I'm reading about Leon and the problems he's still having with his leg, the more happy I am that we were able to figure out RB situation in the draft

Garrison Hearst was a running back who never played for the Jets

Dude had a mean stiff arm though :bag:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmrWTiGhrs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmrWTiGhrs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mutha****a!

well at least LEON can still run.. i think it is better then throwing up every 5 yds as you run.

HA! :D

though i do admit that defenders might not want to be around Joe McKnight as he runs so they wont get puked on :lol:;)

And you call others here "haters"?

OY!

note the smilies in my previous post :rolleyes: ? sheesh!

did he not come to mini-camp out of shape? i am sure he will pull it together... or i hope he will..

it is just that everyone had him as the next coming .. and frankly he didnt start off on the right foot..in my mind. just saying.

OY!

did he not come to mini-camp out of shape? i am sure he will pull it together... or i hope he will..

it is just that everyone had him as the next coming .. and frankly he didnt start off on the right foot..in my mind. just saying.

in a way though, he did start off great as Leon replacement..Remember how horrific Leon was in beginning. He dropped punt after punt after punt in his 1st practices. So I have hope this was just rookie jitters.

OY!

True, but he is a 4th rounder. A lot of prospects come to minicamp out of shape, even 1st rounders. The Giants' JPP has the same problem.

As to Leon, having a rod in his leg is definitely not a good thing. If he pushes it too early he could suffer a career ending injury.

The amount of stress and torque put on those broken bones will be enormous. There's a reason he isn't cutting yet. He could plant his foot and the healed bones could break again.

Good luck, Leon, but there is no way I can see him remotely being the player he was for the 2010 season. The Seahawks would be smart to put him on the PUP list and then IR him for the season.

OY!

But Leon having a rod in his leg would have.

But Leon having a rod in his leg would have.

LOL, and holding out for money he didn't deserve before he got hurt. And isn't he like 27 years old now...

This thread should have thumbs up in front of it.

these are not mutually exclusive outcomes

it's possible (or maybe probable) that both Leon and McK are bad in 2010.

Right.

But if he's bad in 2010, he'll be what like 28-29 in 2011? Throw in the lockout, by the time he's back and healthy he'll be 30.

I'll take McKnight and youth to see if there is any potential there.

Leon is gone, loved him as a Jet and it's sad to see what happened to him. At the same time he made some dumb choices.

True, but he is a 4th rounder. A lot of prospects come to minicamp out of shape, even 1st rounders. The Giants' JPP has the same problem.

As to Leon, having a rod in his leg is definitely not a good thing. If he pushes it too early he could suffer a career ending injury.

The amount of stress and torque put on those broken bones will be enormous. There's a reason he isn't cutting yet. He could plant his foot and the healed bones could break again.

Good luck, Leon, but there is no way I can see him remotely being the player he was for the 2010 season. The Seahawks would be smart to put him on the PUP list and then IR him for the season.

Why the hell should they PUP him? They just traded a 5th rounder for him and he's in his walk year. I like the guy, but he's a commodity and they have to get some return.

Right.

But if he's bad in 2010, he'll be what like 28-29 in 2011? Throw in the lockout, by the time he's back and healthy he'll be 30.

I'll take McKnight and youth to see if there is any potential there.

Leon is gone, loved him as a Jet and it's sad to see what happened to him. At the same time he made some dumb choices.

I'm sick of hearing about his "dumb choices". They guy took a risk. He bet on himself. He lost some money, but he could have seen a whole hell of a lot more. He was trying to prove he could be a #1 back. If he did that he'd have made a ton. Look at all the money Sproles made. I'm not convinced Sproles is/was any better, he was just in the right place at the right time. Leon was offered what? $2.5M per for 4? Reports were $4M per, but I know they have since said it was way less. He took a worst cast of $1.75 trying to get $6M per. He lost some money, but I think the risk was worth it, especially if he truly believes he can be a #1 back.

Why the hell should they PUP him? They just traded a 5th rounder for him and he's in his walk year. I like the guy, but he's a commodity and they have to get some return.

PUP him because he's not ready. If they rush him and he breaks his leg again then they'll get ZERO return on their commodity.

Putting him on PUP might be the only way to get something back for their investment. The Seahawks would have a better chance at re-signing him at the end of the year and then would have something productive the following years.

Trying to get something out of him now because they gave up a 5th is a recipe for disaster.

OY!

You were bashing him the day we drafted him. Oy.

If he sucks, I'll join you, oy. But oy, not until then.

Archived