Report: Jets could make Revis highest-paid DB in history

jgb

NFL.com Wire Reports

As several key members of the New York Jets remain unsigned, the team appears ready to make cornerback Darrelle Revis the richest defensive back in NFL history with a contract offer worth over $100 million, sources tell Newsday.

Revis is due to make $1 million in the fourth year of his six-year rookie deal, but wants to be the league's highest-paid cornerback, surpassing the three-year, $45.3 million extension signed by Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha last offseason. Newsday reports the Jets are willing to add six years to Revis' current deal, averaging around $12 million per season in addition to the $21 million he is already owed. New York has made Revis two offers, but he has rejected both.

Revis caused a stir by sitting out a few plays in Monday's first practice to show frustration at the pace of contract talks, but after a meeting with coach Rex Ryan on Wednesday, the two say they are ready to move on.

"It was a normal talk," Revis said after Wednesday's team practice at the New Meadowlands Stadium. "He just wanted to make sure I felt OK with everything that was going on and we could move on from here."

Ryan was clearly annoyed by the idea that Revis might have been fooling his coaches to make a point in his negotiations.

"We just wanted to see eye-to-eye and get on the same page," Revis said. "We got a little off the page. I skipped a couple chapters in the book. We talked and got back on the same page to understand each other in this whole situation."

In other contract news, center Nick Mangold is unhappy with the lack of progress in his talks. Newsday reports negotiations with tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson appear to be progressing, but linebacker David Harris isn't expected to get a new deal until next year.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818b57f9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

hopefully they are getting close

I like this. We don't have to pay Revis the insane $16 million per year, but Revis still gets to say he's the highest paid CB in the league.

I just wish they would get these signings over with...I cannot believe these aren't becoming distractions to the team...no way. Not when you're dealing with millions of dollars. This isn't like going into your boss and asking for a 5%raise and even with that, it's a distraction.

I just wish they would get these signings over with...I cannot believe these aren't becoming distractions to the team...no way. Not when you're dealing with millions of dollars. This isn't like going into your boss and asking for a 5%raise and even with that, it's a distraction.

Better to get these distractions out of the way early. We're forgetting its only June, and lots of contract disputes don't get settled until late July. Revis's "dispute" has only lasted a week.

Since the salaries go up a certain percentage each year, the best player at his position whose contract is up at this time is almost certain to be the highest paid player at his position.

Did you really expect the highest paid player in history to be someone from the seventies or eighties?

A lot of people think Revis is the best CB in the league, he's negotiating a new contract-why shouldn't he be the highest paid CB in history?

Since the salaries go up a certain percentage each year, the best player at his position whose contract is up at this time is almost certain to be the highest paid player at his position.

Did you really expect the highest paid player in history to be someone from the seventies or eighties?

A lot of people think Revis is the best CB in the league, he's negotiating a new contract-why shouldn't he be the highest paid CB in history?

true but when al davis goes nuts and signs ty law out of retirement next year for 19 million a year will revis hold out again until we beat that, too? there is no indication he'll stick to this deal, either, if he perceives the market "changes." granted, that is unlikely with the cap probably facing a reduction but it is something to think about.

Revis Could Get $100 Million, Ferguson Deal Close?

By Steven Evely

Darrelle Revis might get his contract after all.

According to sources close to the situation, the New York Jets are willing to offer a contract worth over $100 million to Revis. It would be the biggest contract a defensive back ever received.

As stated in the previous Revis article, the Jets have been said to offer $10 million a year to Revis, which he called an insult. Reportedly the new deal would be a six year extension on his current contract and would pay Revis about $12 million a season.

However Revis told a reporter that he still stands by his demand to make more money per season than Oakland Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

But with three other starters on the Jets roster that wants new contracts, Revis might have to take what he can get. As reported before, Nick Mangold is upset with his contract situation and the lack of anything long-term.

However, D

It's because it will effect every other player on the field who is in their last year of their current contracts.

In exact terms - this is a plain and simple "tuck & try" by his agent to get as much money as he can prior to a potential "Lock Out!"

The simplist aspect that I can define this is simply this - WHY ELSE WOULD YOU GO AFTER MONEY WHEN YOU STILL HAVE 4-YEARS LEFT?

How the f*** is 10 million a year an "insult"?

I'd sell my eternal soul to make that much yearly.

That's because you don't have the ability to make that kind of money or more. I remember when I was in my early 20's I was like, "If I could just make $75k a year I'd be so happy." Then it became, "If I could just make $100k a year I'd be so happy." Now that I make more than both I could never go back because I know I have the ability to make more.

$10M to us would be coolest thing ever to happen to our lives ... $10M for Revis would be settling for much less than he can realistically get.

That's because you don't have the ability to make that kind of money or more. I remember when I was in my early 20's I was like, "If I could just make $75k a year I'd be so happy." Then it became, "If I could just make $100k a year I'd be so happy." Now that I make more than both I could never go back because I know I have the ability to make more.

$10M to us would be coolest thing ever to happen to our lives ... $10M for Revis would be settling for much less than he can realistically get.

You sir are right!

over 100 million?i add up 93 million.6 xtra years at 12m per and 3 years at 21m=93mil.am i missing something?if i were mike t and the jets,this would be the absolute last offer i would make.if he doesnt accept,close negotiations with revis and company and make him play out the last 3 years for 21m.if he acts up,make him play out 2 years at 6m and then trade him.that deal is too good to pass up.revis will sign this deal

over 100 million?i add up 93 million.6 xtra years at 12m per and 3 years at 21m=93mil.am i missing something?if i were mike t and the jets,this would be the absolute last offer i would make.if he doesnt accept,close negotiations with revis and company and make him play out the last 3 years for 21m.if he acts up,make him play out 2 years at 6m and then trade him.that deal is too good to pass up.revis will sign this deal

Where are you getting 6 years at 12 million per? I read it as 9 years total averaging 12 million per year = 108 million.

I love the fact that they are trying to sign Brick and Revis and as long as the Jets and Revis can come to some sort of agreement on guaranteed money (although I could see Revis saying 9 years is too long), then it would be great to see them Jets for years to come.

However I can't say that I'm happy that they haven't had serious talks with Mangold as of yet. First of all, Mangold is an all pro center and as a general rule, it is a good idea to keep your o-linemen together as long as possible (let lone the best center in the league. Secondly, even if the plan is to franchise him (which will leave bad feelings that I don't think are necessary), that would still leave Harris, Edwards, Holmes, and Cromartie as key players that will be coming to the end of their contracts. That might be okay if next year follow's this year's free agency rules (i.e. 6 yrs of service to be an UFA) as only Edwards would be an UFA. But if it goes back to 4 years, that's a lot of players we would need to re-sign and there's only one franchise tag.

I love the fact that they are trying to sign Brick and Revis and as long as the Jets and Revis can come to some sort of agreement on guaranteed money (although I could see Revis saying 9 years is too long), then it would be great to see them Jets for years to come.

However I can't say that I'm happy that they haven't had serious talks with Mangold as of yet. First of all, Mangold is an all pro center and as a general rule, it is a good idea to keep your o-linemen together as long as possible (let lone the best center in the league. Secondly, even if the plan is to franchise him (which will leave bad feelings that I don't think are necessary), that would still leave Harris, Edwards, Holmes, and Cromartie as key players that will be coming to the end of their contracts. That might be okay if next year follow's this year's free agency rules (i.e. 6 yrs of service to be an UFA) as only Edwards would be an UFA. But if it goes back to 4 years, that's a lot of players we would need to re-sign and there's only one franchise tag.

My guess is Mangold will get done as soon as a new CBA is more clear, and after DBrick and Revis have signed the dotted line. With Revis and Wilson at CB, Cromartie would be nice to keep, but certainly not necessary. You know we're not keeping T-Rich after drafting "the Terminator", and I would be shocked to see LT back with both Shonn Greene and Joe McKnight on the roster. Factoring out those 2...We should be able to re-sign either Santonio or Braylon, and let the other walk.

It'll be interesting to see how this new CBA deal plays out. I would imagine the PA and owners are both under a lot of pressure with both Manning and Brady and the ilk still unsigned.

My preference is to trade Dollarelle Revis. Players rarely play at this high a level for very long. Jordan did it, Peyton is doing it, it happens, but not often. Just a few years ago Cromartie was considered the next superstar cornerback and we know how that ended up. No reason to pay him in the expectation that this will continue. And his antics mean I can never fully root for him again. Plus he's making a rap album. Anytime a famous person who didn't become famous for music makes an album it means his career is going to go down the tubes. Look at Eddie Murphy.

As several key members of the New York Jets remain unsigned, the team appears ready to make cornerback Darrelle Revis the richest defensive back in NFL history with a contract offer worth over $100 million, sources tell Newsday.

and jets fans will be holding over his head for the next decade :lol:

Key members of the Jets remain unsigned? Who? Who the **** is unsigned? They have this ****sucker locked up for 3 years. The only "key" member of the Jets that remains unsigned is Marques Douglas.

How the f*** is 10 million a year an "insult"?

I'd sell my eternal soul to make that much yearly.

You might sell your eternal soul for $10M a year, but something tells me that you wouldn't sell it for $10M a year that wasn't guaranteed!

My preference is to trade Dollarelle Revis. Players rarely play at this high a level for very long. Jordan did it, Peyton is doing it, it happens, but not often. Just a few years ago Cromartie was considered the next superstar cornerback and we know how that ended up. No reason to pay him in the expectation that this will continue. And his antics mean I can never fully root for him again. Plus he's making a rap album. Anytime a famous person who didn't become famous for music makes an album it means his career is going to go down the tubes. Look at Eddie Murphy.

When you have a player who could be the GOAT at his position, you don't get rid of him. Would you have advocated trading Manning or Jordan at their peak, 2 guys you just compared Revis to?

Salaries are generally in stagnation, we are on the verge of deflation, the Jets built a stadium with a finance plan developed several years ago projecting certain incomes for each seat which is out the window. You wouldn't expect a company who's revenue stream is going down to increase payroll which is why we have 10 plus percent real unemployment and stagnating salaries. Revis is also under contract.

If Revis was actually an FA he would be entitled to negiotate his fair market value. He isn't he is under contract and in this environment he comes off as a spoiled, entitled POS.

He isn't entitled to be the highest paid CB until he plays out he's contract and becomes an FA. Before Revis was "The Best CB" in the NFL he was a complete unknown who got a huge contract.

Double post sorry.

When you have a player who could be the GOAT at his position, you don't get rid of him. Would you have advocated trading Manning or Jordan at their peak, 2 guys you just compared Revis to?

in a vaccum this question cannot be answered. what would you get back for them? it's all about value. no one is "too good" to trade.

Can you stop mentioning rap albums. Just because Revis is making a rap album it doesn't mean he's going to fail from now on. Please, that's pathetic.

i do think it's fair to point out that when kerry rhodes discussed wanting to be a model/actor/whatever most of us started calling him "hollywood" kerry rhodes.

I'm picturing the tortured explanation of what exactly this means, and it has me giddy with anticipation.

William Shatner made 2 albums and was able to continue playing Capt Kirk at an all-pro level. If he can do it, so can Revis. I rest my case.

Archived