What should we expect out of Sanchez Sunday night?

Jetsfan80

1. He didn't have any TD's and was stuffed at the goal line a number of times.

2. AP is not a Jet, and nobody on your team compares..

perhaps yu haven't seen yet but tomlinson is playing pretty damn well. prepare to see alot of tomlinson and greene. adrian peterson by himself had almost 200 yds against your defense. now the jets might not have anyone quite as good as peterson.....but between greene and tomlinson they shoudl be able to get something going against your defense. and i'd like to see the jets work a gameplan with keller and our running game. i think keller can do what shiancoe just did (sanchez and keller have decent chemistry).....and if you try to double keller that would be a mistake with edwards and cotchery. all said....i expect it will be a pretty competitive game and can go either way.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In week 1, handcuffed by an ultra-conservative gameplan, Sanchez had, other than perhaps his 5-INT performance against Buffalo, his worst offensive output of his young career. Last week, Sanchez had probably his best game as a pro against the Patriots.

If last week was his ceiling and week 1 was his floor, should we be expecting a performance somewhere in the middle this week? Miami has a good but not great defense, and last time the two teams met in Miami the game turned into a bit of a shootout.

Stats-wise, I would say that Sanchez ends up with a stat-line such as this: 16/29, 190 yds, 2 TD's, 2 INT's. What do you think will happen?

What makes you think last week was his ceiling?

In week 1, handcuffed by an ultra-conservative gameplan, Sanchez had, other than perhaps his 5-INT performance against Buffalo, his worst offensive output of his young career. Last week, Sanchez had probably his best game as a pro against the Patriots.

If last week was his ceiling and week 1 was his floor, should we be expecting a performance somewhere in the middle this week? Miami has a good but not great defense, and last time the two teams met in Miami the game turned into a bit of a shootout.

Stats-wise, I would say that Sanchez ends up with a stat-line such as this: 16/29, 190 yds, 2 TD's, 2 INT's. What do you think will happen?

I'm not sure that's how this works.

He's had a 5 INT game...That's gotta be the floor.

That prediction doesn't seem terrible.

What makes you think last week was his ceiling?

He played about as perfect a game as you could ask given the circumstances. Could he be even better than that? Sure. But for my expectations of him here in season 2, its very hard to beat completing more than 2/3 of his throws, with 3 TD's, no INT's and even a 2-pt conversion.

I'm not sure that's how this works.

He's had a 5 INT game...That's gotta be the floor.

That prediction doesn't seem terrible.

Agreed, but he looked scared and frustrated in the Baltimore game, and seemed to have no trust from the coaching staff that he could make a throw downfield without getting it picked. Against a banged up secondary no less. At least he was given opportunities against the Bills.

Last week gave me the feeling that it just "clicked" for Sanchez. I seen a QB that trusted his O-line and made the correct throws. Most importantly, me made huge plays to his left side of the field...something that has been a struggle. If Im correct the majority of his yards and all 3 of his TD's was on the left side, a side that he was terrible at. Oh, and the 2pt. conversion was on his left side as well.

Im not worried about our offense after that performance.

Edit: To add, he had more TD's than field goals in the redzone as well. Everything Rex has asked of him to do he did it against Tom Brady and the Patriots...in a game that was a "must win".

He played about as perfect a game as you could ask given the circumstances. Could he be even better than that? Sure. But for my expectations of him here in season 2, its very hard to beat completing more than 2/3 of his throws, with 3 TD's, no INT's and even a 2-pt conversion.

Agreed, but he looked scared and frustrated in the Baltimore game, and seemed to have no trust from the coaching staff that he could make a throw downfield without getting it picked. Against a banged up secondary no less. At least he was given opportunities against the Bills.

I think people are reading the Baltimore game incorrectly. I think Rex gave too much credit to the Ravens defense and was overly conservative as a result. I don't think the gameplan was a refelction on Sanchez.

I think people are reading the Baltimore game incorrectly. I think Rex gave too much credit to the Ravens defense and was overly conservative as a result. I don't think the gameplan was a refelction on Sanchez.

I hope that's the case, as that was my take as well.

Rex said after the game that maybe they drilled him too much on checking down. There's no debating the fact that he played significantly better in week #2.

I hope that's the case, as that was my take as well.

Rex said after the game that maybe they drilled him too much on checking down. There's no debating the fact that he played significantly better in week #2.

I think they did drum it into his head too much.

One of the biggest complaints about him last year was that he took too many chances with the football and didn't check down enough. It's clearly not his natural instinct.

When a guy goes from not checking down enough to doing it way too much, its because he was coached to.

NO. He was nOT handcuffed by an ultraconservative game plan. He was handcuffed by constantly going to his safety valve. Watch him and you will see him routinely go through the options. Do you really think Schottenheimer told Cotchery and them to just run downfield as a decoy ALL game...and they were fine with that? They just didn't get the 3 yards of separation Sanchez need to feel comfortable firing away. As you see with his first play last week. They told him to just let the sh*t fly.

The ONLY difference Sunday was Sanchez. Schotty did not just decide to call longer passing plays because the posters on JN complained.

I personally think you'll see a more conservative gameplan. AP went wild on the Phins last weekend, and I think it'd be smart for the Jets to try and replicate that success on the ground while keeping Sanchez open to some play action roll-outs.

I think this would be the best game plan. I expect him to keep playing smart and I also expect him to get some first downs. Depending on the play calling, I think he'll have a good game.

I think this would be the best game plan. I expect him to keep playing smart and I also expect him to get some first downs. Depending on the play calling, I think he'll have a good game.

Sanchez showed an excellent play fake sunday. He is definitely at his best on the run. The kid has shown some poise in the red zone, going back to last year's playoffs and he's a gifted athlete. He's got the right attitude (maybe too arrogant, but that's better than being shook.)and he's got momentum. I think he'll be fine. Like people said, this week is the LT/Greene show.....and I want some terminator.

Favre played like an a$$ against their D last week. I was impressed with how they stiffened at their 5. They seem to be very tough near the goal line I would suggest that the Jets take some shots from the 15 or 20 when they get in the red zone. The Dolfags are very good in short space.

I think the pressure will get to him and he will cough the ball up at least twice. Maybe once on a forced fumble and a pick or two. If he doesn't then we will know he is growing up.

I think Schotty will be a bit more conservative early on. Turnovers in games like this one looks like (on the chalkboard) are killers. I look for a quick shot very early on though, just to send a message.

I think Sanchez/Schotty plays ball control and safe till the score dictates a different approach. Taking shots from the cusp of the red zone sounds good though. An INT there is essentially a punt, so no real harm. Just move the chains. Once their D gets tired, we can take some shots deep.

I dont think Sanchez tosses a pick though, our coaching staff knows better than to take too many chances here.

IMO this game will be about running the ball and defense. The Dolphins will be hesitant to stack the box and sell out on the run based on Sanchez's coming out party last week.. Especially with the play action passes he threw in short yardage situations.

My expectations:

13/19, 145 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

Im expecting Greene to rack up 100 yards on 16 carries and LT to get about 70 and a TD on 9 or 10 carries.

I expect the D to pretty much shut down the Phins offense, barring one drive where Marshall takes advantage of Cromartie for a TD.

Jets -17

Phins - 7

And on the thread's discussion.. I think Jets fans have a right to be giddy of Sanchez's last performance. Not only were the #s superb, but it was the first time in his 2 short career that he put the team on his shoulders and won the game for us. Last year our wins were due in large part to the dominance of our running game and defense. for that reason we played a lot of close games, and because of the #1 rushing offense and #1 overall defense, we were able to pull them out when Sanchez and the ST didn't make any drastic errors.

The game last week was the first time I saw Sanchez dominate like that. Of all the hype of coming off an AFC championship appearance and all that, last week was truly the 1st time I saw signs of him becoming a great QB in this league. Is he at the point where he can do that week-in and week-out. No. There will still be some growing pains and bumps along the way, but after last week, I can say that I am genuinely excited that the Jets may have found a real long term solution at QB.

A couple of picks probably, 200 yards and a TD or two depending on how the running game goes. I don't think he does as well against Miami as he did against New England. Nolan plays a lot more man coverage and their corners are decent in bump and run, so we'll probably see some more checkdowns and when he decides to take his chances he'll probably lose a ball or two. Mierda's done very well against zone coverages since the end of last season or so, but not man schemes like we'll see tomorrow. I think the offense will be OK regardless. He should be able to find Keller and LT easily because their coverages have been awful underneath and TE's and receiving RB's seem to be their kryptonite right now.

Wake me up when Sanchez is half the QB Brady is.

Just 2 seasons into his career, Mark Sanchez is 2-1 against Brady and the Patriots. He's gone 43/73 (59 %) with 515 yds, 5 TD's, and 4 INT's (all 4 in the road game against NE last year). If he isn't "half" as good as Brady, he's getting very close.

Archived