mangini fired

jetscott

Browns fired head coach Eric Mangini.

Club president Mike Holmgren met with Mangini at 9AM Monday to give him his walking papers. His two-year run in Cleveland ends with a 10-22 record, and a four-game losing streak to close out the 2010 season. Mangini has been linked to the head coaching vacancy at UConn. Assuming Holmgren doesn't return to the sideline, he is expected to give long looks to Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and ex-Panthers head coach John Fox.

Mangini_Porky.jpg

I guess this makes Gato wrong twice about this guy. :P

Mangini has been linked to the head coaching vacancy at UConn.

The college game is probably a good plan for him. It's either that or a DC job in the NFL, and I don't see anyone hiring him as that off the top of my head.

I seriously doubt it. Bringing him back would be about the only thing BB could do to get the fans to turn on him.

Belichickin: Eric, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training.

Mangini: I'll never join you.

Mangini taking the Browns job was a terrible mistake and the Browns hiring him was an even bigger one. Mangini's run with the Jets was a big failure. The team collapsed on 2007 and he did not have a good handle on the team in 2008. There were games where he would make their somewhat strange moves that almost always backfired and he was terribly inflexible during the game itself. Great coaches always stray from a gameplan when the situation simply is not turning out as expected. Mangini always would always stick with it. When you go through that experience you have to step away from football and rethink your philosophy. Jumping from failure 1 right to a new job is just going to equal failure number 2 and getting that third chance in the NFL is very hard, though he is young enough to where it could happen.

His no nonsense style might work in college, but I just cant see him recruiting at all. I dont know what NFL teams would be interested either. Hes pretty much burned his bridges with the Belichick guys. Maybe the Chiefs guys being gone when that all went down would give him a chance as an assistant. But right now Id imagine his NFL connections are basically Mike Tannenbaum and the Ryans.

Good points, Jason.

Bleedin & I mentioned this 2 years ago: career wise, the worst thing to happen to Mangini was getting the Browns guys. It rewarded him for his mistakes so he had no incentive to improve because it made it look like his methods worked. They don't.

Of course, certain posters staunchly disagreed with us and pointing out him getting a job so quickly as proof Mangini was a good HC. No, it just meant that Lerner was an idiot.

I've seen people claim that Mangini has a "good football mind" but as Terry Bradshaw has aptly said, "The world is filled with talented failures."

I disagree with Jason in one respect: I think Mangini could be an effective recruiting for UConn or a similar situated school. He'll recruit the less talented hard working kids and they won't be getting a scholarship for a big time school anyway.

Yes, because if there's one thing that's evident about Mangini, it's his ability to relate to the youth of America.

Problem is how many 18-year olds will be inclined to get treated like garbage. It's not 1968 and he's not Bobby Knight.

Hes pretty much burned his bridges with the Belichick guys. Maybe the Chiefs guys being gone when that all went down would give him a chance as an assistant. But right now Id imagine his NFL connections are basically Mike Tannenbaum and the Ryans.

The head "Chiefs guy" Scott Pioli was there in 2007. He left at the end of the 2008 season, he burned that bridge as well. He doesn't have much of a connection with Rex, I don't see the Jets hiring him back. His only shot might be if Rob Ryan gets a head coaching gig, Rob hiring him. That of course assumes Rob respects him and thinks the flip flop would work.

The head "Chiefs guy" Scott Pioli was there in 2007. He left at the end of the 2008 season, he burned that bridge as well. He doesn't have much of a connection with Rex, I don't see the Jets hiring him back. His only shot might be if Rob Ryan gets a head coaching gig, Rob hiring him. That of course assumes Rob respects him and thinks the flip flop would work.

Hard to imagine Rob being dumb enough to risk his shot @ HC for this.

Mangini should be a DIII college coach... I think that is the environment his approach is best suited for. I said it after his first year with us. He has an old time ball coach approach, but he doesn't have the acumen to be successful at the NFL level. I do think at a level where hard work often over-compensates for lack of talent, he can succeed. Translation: Stick him at a school filled with scrappy guys, with good manners, and he'll do well.

Mangini taking the Browns job was a terrible mistake and the Browns hiring him was an even bigger one. Mangini's run with the Jets was a big failure. The team collapsed on 2007 and he did not have a good handle on the team in 2008. There were games where he would make their somewhat strange moves that almost always backfired and he was terribly inflexible during the game itself. Great coaches always stray from a gameplan when the situation simply is not turning out as expected. Mangini always would always stick with it. When you go through that experience you have to step away from football and rethink your philosophy. Jumping from failure 1 right to a new job is just going to equal failure number 2 and getting that third chance in the NFL is very hard, though he is young enough to where it could happen.

His no nonsense style might work in college, but I just cant see him recruiting at all. I dont know what NFL teams would be interested either. Hes pretty much burned his bridges with the Belichick guys. Maybe the Chiefs guys being gone when that all went down would give him a chance as an assistant. But right now Id imagine his NFL connections are basically Mike Tannenbaum and the Ryans.

The guy made what, 5M or 6M over the last 2 years? I wish I could make a mistake like that. I don't even know how much he has left on his deal, so there could be more coming his way...

Hard to imagine Rob being dumb enough to risk his shot @ HC for this.

EM isn't cut out to be a HC. But plenty of guys are outstanding assistants but can't handle the #1 job. Neither of us really know what Eric and Rob's relationship is. Rob made a lateral move to work under Eric. It is quite possible they have a good enough relationship that Rob would hire him. Time will tell.

EM wasn't a terrible HC. Very, very few head coaches could have succeeded in Cle the past 2 years. The NFL is a QB league and he just didn't have one: Anderson, Quinn, Delhome, Wallace, and McCoy. That on top of the Favre debacle was the end of Mangini.

I thought his first year in NY he did a great job of getting the Herm stench off of this team and came up with some very creative gameplans. The trouble was in yr 2+3 he became a victim of no Qb. There are really no examples of teams succeeding w/o NFL Qb's.

The most frustrating part of Mangini was his refusal to make in-game adjustments. I still remember the SEA game from 08 when the Jets had to win vs. Seneca Wallace and just wouldn't make any changes during the game. That was one of the most frustrating games in recent memory.

Great post, and I have to admit to SMC that he was right in that Mangini should not have taken this 2nd job so quickly. Completely agreed on the connections point, and neither Ryan is big time enough to throw him on their staff. The guy had to hire friggin Daboll as his OC. He couldn't get a DC when he was here, and had to take the organization's longtime LB coach, Sutton. He's burned so many bridges that he's going to have to rebuild his whole image as a coach to get back into the NFL.

He's got a good eye for good no-nonsense type players and I think it would serve him well to go down to the college level and just coach up some kids and build up a program. I hope he gets the UConn job, though there's a rumor out there that the awesome Mike Leach might get the job.

Also, he needs to be less nice. The press absolutely ate him up in the NFL to the point where he had to get on WFAN and give that hilarious heart felt interview.

This isn't exactly Rich Kotite here. The guy's is a legitimate coach with some success and a decent enough resume to get a crack on somebody else's staff who's looking to boost his defense, even if it's just as a glorified DB coach. It would do Eric well to work under a coach who hasn't sold his soul to Satan for the right to win football games--learn a new perspective on how to prepare a team, connect with players, discipline them and motivate them. I think Eric's major issue has always been that he tries to replicate what Belichick does with his players, but without Belichick's winning pedigree or the 40 years spent watching game film. Someobody will hire him as an assistant--Gruden?--and he'll get another HC chance down the road.

Archived