Movies We've Seen Thread

On October 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Dcat said:

The Accountant

Went to see it last night and we are still talking about it this morning.  That's always a good sign of a good movie.  I thought the plot was very intriguing (adult autistic savant in the mainstream of intrigue) and the script was good.  Acting was very good too (with the obvious exception of Ben Afflec, whom everyone knows can't act at all).  The film goes into detail on his background and upbringing that gives the entire plot a great perspective.  The plot has some obvious flaws but doesn't disappoint with a few surprises and twists.  

Highly recommend.  Curious to hear what others think.

I hate Affleck the Boston sports loving *$$hole so much I can't enjoy any movie he's in

All on Netflix, three of which have sub-titles, if you can deal with them (no way I can watch a dubbed flick), but are as good as anything on there, imo.

The Dark Valley, An incredibly emotional western style revenge flick from Austria or Germany, forget which.

The Man From Nowhere, Action movie in the same vein as Man On Fire from S. KoreaLead actor does a beautiful job.

Tell No One, A mystery thriller from France, and a damn good one.

Mystery Road, An off beat murder mystery that takes place in the outback of Australia involving Aborigines and corrupt bigotry. Believe it's an Indie.

On 10/31/2016 at 0:43 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

That guy has two other docs up on Netflix, Prescription Thugs and I forget what the other one is called. Both are great. 

Chris Bell is my cousin. You're thinking of 'Trophy Kids', but 'Billy Jones' is my guilty pleasure. I don't belong to social media, but 'Stronger' (about 'strongman' competitors) should be coming out next year sometime.  He did really well with RX Thugs at Tribeca Film Fest ditto Bigger previous and also @ Sundance. 

The power of advertising, ain't that the truth. LMAO.

On 11/8/2016 at 3:45 PM, Larz said:

hey  @RutgersJetFan   , is Donnie Darko any good ?  seems super interesting, bit if not done correctly could be a confusing mess

Donnie Darko is great. Dare I say a classic. Be in an existential mood when you're about to sit down for it, and just go in being comfortable that you're probably not going to know what the hell is going on at any point.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Donnie Darko is great. Dare I say a classic. Be in an existential mood when you're about to sit down for it, and just go in being comfortable that you're probably not going to know what the hell is going on at any point.

lol, sounds like good advice, thanks

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

cathartic bliss.  the mad world ending was so so good.  I thought I had it figured out, donnie sacrifices himself for gretchen, then gretchen waives to donnies mom like she knows her, but can't know her.  

the 80's stuff was great, I had a hobie shirt, the blockbuster cards, little TV's, really was the cherry on top for me

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There are many things I am not proud of in my life, getting excited when I saw that Pauly Shore's Son in Law popped up on Netflix is right up there with any of them.

I felt the same way when I saw Heavyweights on there the other day. Not a great movie by any stretch, but it takes me back to my childhood

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2016 at 3:29 PM, drdetroit said:

I thought I saw a lot of really bad movies this year.  And then I saw The Arrival and realized I didnt understand the depths of crapitude 

What?!?!?  No way, everyone I talked to that has seen it has raved.  Gonna try to see it this week sometime.

First full weekend off in months, watched both The Hustler and The Color of Money; both were excellent, but the former might be a masterpiece. Paul Newman could very well have been the coolest mother f*cker ever; awesome actor, raced cars, started a damned salad dressing line and donated $400+ million dollars to charity... damn.  I also forgot just how many movies Tom Cruise was in during the 80s, jeeeesus. 

Finally watched Eastern Promises after putting it off for almost a decade. Usually I watched a movie 30 mins at a time while eating dinner before I read for the night, but couldn't stop this one. Low-key, hesitant and brutal, along with a brilliant performance from Mortensen. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

First full weekend off in months, watched both The Hustler and The Color of Money; both were excellent, but the former might be a masterpiece. Paul Newman could very well have been the coolest mother f*cker ever; awesome actor, raced cars, started a damned salad dressing line and donated $400+ million dollars to charity... damn.  I also forgot just how many movies Tom Cruise was in during the 80s, jeeeesus. 

Finally watched Eastern Promises after putting it off for almost a decade. Usually I watched a movie 30 mins at a time while eating dinner before I read for the night, but couldn't stop this one. Low-key, hesitant and brutal, along with a brilliant performance from Mortensen. 

I think there's a legit case to be made for The Hustler to be the greatest movie ever. For me it's either that or Coppala obv. And I'm sorry but anyone who says Citizen Kane is a herb and anyone who says Gone With the Wind sucks penises.

37 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Spot on, 'cool'. Haven't watched the Hustler in years. Watched it several times tho. Always thought it was a Classic/Masterpiece. Have it saved on NF and have to get around to it.

Paul Newman may be my favorite, he's up there anyway. Cool Hand Luke, Hombre, Harper....dude was great

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

The Hustler is the only movie in my top 5 that hasn't changed in the last 10 years. It is one of my consistent favorites and being on netflix i watch it once every couple months. Great movie

20 hours ago, rillo said:

Saw Arrival, totally not what I was expecting. Kinda feel indifferent to it. Definitely could've waited for the interwebz. 

I hear you, the entire threatre around me said it sucked ass. Personally I liked it with a lean towards indifference, did not feel it competes with a District 9 or Interstellar as a truly great movie like the hype.

Hollywood really loves the whole cephalopods as aliens thing THO....Kang and Kodos....Europa Report....Arrival...

On 11/14/2016 at 9:25 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Paul Newman was amazing. 

As a comfortable, straight man, he was damn good looking.  So cool, not rubbing it in people's faces, just amazing.  Did everything, was great as a young actor, was great as an older actor.  All of it.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Paul Newman was amazing. 

As a comfortable, straight man, he was damn good looking.  So cool, not rubbing it in people's faces, just amazing.  Did everything, was great as a young actor, was great as an older actor.  All of it.

As an uncomfortable straight man I would totally bang Paul Newman. Even Nobody's Fool Paul Newman.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Paul Newman was amazing. 

My wife, like so many women, would pitch into a burning wood pile to bang Paul Newman.  Any movie in which he appeared, my wife would always swoon after the first look at his incredible blue eyes.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

My wife, like so many women, would pitch into a burning wood pile to bang Paul Newman.  Any movie in which he appeared, my wife would always swoon after the first look at his incredible blue eyes.

Thing is, you can't even blame her.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2016 at 10:06 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I think there's a legit case to be made for The Hustler to be the greatest movie ever. For me it's either that or Coppala obv. And I'm sorry but anyone who says Citizen Kane is a herb and anyone who says Gone With the Wind sucks penises.

I'm not a herb.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2016 at 10:09 PM, JohnJ said:

Spot on, 'cool'. Haven't watched the Hustler in years. Watched it several times tho. Always thought it was a Classic/Masterpiece. Have it saved on NF and have to get around to it.

Paul Newman may be my favorite, he's up there anyway. Cool Hand Luke, Hombre, Harper....dude was great

The Drowning Pool is sooooo good.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2016 at 11:06 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

It's a wonderful life

A clockwork Orange

Donnie darko

King Kong vs godzilla

• Upvote 1