Movies We've Seen Thread

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I know it got ripped a bit.  But watched "Girl on the Train" this weekend and really liked it.  Emily Blunt is fantastic in the title role.

Meh, thought that kinda sucked.

Saw both Patriots Day and Hidden Fences. Patriots Day was very good, Berg is great. Fences was dull. 

On 1/22/2017 at 4:55 PM, Larz said:

ok, finally saw the revenant, lol

am I the only one who thought Hardy was better than Leo ?  

I can suspend my disbelief for godzilla, but nobody survives that bear attack followed by some dirt in the wounds, literally

mad me happy to be born in an era with running water and central heat

and I know I'm not the only one who thought, "hey look, its like when han put luke in the tauntaun !"

Think Tom Hardy opening his cell phone bill would be more entertaining than anything Leo Dicaprio has ever done, and he was  pretty good in "Revnenant". 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Meh, thought that kinda sucked.

Saw both Patriots Day and Hidden Fences. Patriots Day was very good, Berg is great. Fences was dull. 

The Mrs. watched it,  so... so did I . As to The Guy/Justin Theroux/Mr. Jennifer Aniston, how was this guy being fought over by anyone? He's 5 foot nothing,not at all handsome,  whiny, effete, shoe polish dyed hair, balding.Really the guy's dye job was Elvis or Wayne Newton-like. Might have been a Morrie's Wigs thing, could've had a chin strap and been more believable.  Were Rob Schneider, Jon Lovitz and Steve Buscemi unavailable? At least they would have had some testosterone. From the first moment he comes on the screen, it was completely ridiculous. And he kinda got what he deserved. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Mrs. watched it,  so... so did I . As to The Guy/Justin Theroux/Mr. Jennifer Aniston, how was this guy being fought over by anyone? He's 5 foot nothing,not at all handsome,  whiny, effete, shoe polish dyed hair, balding.Really the guy's dye job was Elvis or Wayne Newton-like. Might have been a Morrie's Wigs thing, could've had a chin strap and been more believable.  Were Rob Schneider, Jon Lovitz and Steve Buscemi unavailable? At least they would have had some testosterone. From the first moment he comes on the screen, it was completely ridiculous. And he kinda got what he deserved. 

Uh, the movie is not about his character.  

John Hurt, can't believe no-one posted this. I loved John Hurt. Damn. RIP. I would've said so days ago, but I got lazy. I saw this when I was 15 and people were screaming. Ketchup and spaghetti will never be the same. 

A big huge hand up to Bolaji Badejo, btw.  The unsung hero of the flick.  It's a cool story, like Lana Turner getting recognized in a drug store.  Poor guy died of sickle cell anemia. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

Hey that's Howard Stern's boyfriend your talking about there.

I saw 'Rebecca' the other night in a fit of nostalgia. The Fontaine/De Havilland fight is almost as epic than Bette Davis and Joan Crawford ("I wouldn't piss on Joan Crawford is she was on fire") . Which brings me around to 'Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte'. It's such schlocky fun. Bette does a great turn. She never gave two sh*ts about what she looked like.

Major points to anyone who knows that Victor Buono was in 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes'.  Faces, it's my  thing. 

10 hours ago, jetophile said:

I saw 'Rebecca' the other night in a fit of nostalgia. The Fontaine/De Havilland fight is almost as epic than Bette Davis and Joan Crawford ("I wouldn't piss on Joan Crawford is she was on fire") . Which brings me around to 'Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte'. It's such schlocky fun. Bette does a great turn. She never gave two sh*ts about what she looked like.

Major points to anyone who knows that Victor Buono was in 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes'.  Faces, it's my  thing. 

He was also King Tut on "Batman. Speaking of the Davis/Crawford feud I saw a commercial for a mini series about their feud making "Whatever happened to Baby Jane". Should be interesting.

3 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

watched mulholland drive last night for the first time. super weird movie. i know critics love it and lynchs movies are supposed to be open to your interpretation but i cant tell if the movie was total pi  ss or actually creative.  he got me thinking about it though and i am sure that was his goal

I've seen that flick a dozen times at least.  I think it's brilliant, but get that Lynch's style is an acquired taste.  You might feel it's a bit disjointed as it was originally meant to be a TV series.  When it was passed over, Lynch added the more risque scenes.   Speaking of those scenes, tell me the shots of Laura Elena Harring and Naomi Watts did not get your attention?  Wow.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I've seen that flick a dozen times at least.  I think it's brilliant, but get that Lynch's style is an acquired taste.  You might feel it's a bit disjointed as it was originally meant to be a TV series.  When it was passed over, Lynch added the more risque scenes.   Speaking of those scenes, tell me the shots of Laura Elena Harring and Naomi Watts did not get your attention?  Wow.

Yea those were great. Whatever happend to that brunette, haven't seen her in anything else really. I will prolly have to watch it again to pick up on everything. also this is only the second Lynch movie that I have seen so it really threw me for a loop 

On 2/7/2017 at 9:23 AM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

watched mulholland drive last night for the first time. super weird movie. i know critics love it and lynchs movies are supposed to be open to your interpretation but i cant tell if the movie was total pi  ss or actually creative.  he got me thinking about it though and i am sure that was his goal

Looks like Lynch watched Polanski/Jack Nicholson/Faye Dunaway/John Huston "Chinatown" a whole bunch and went to school on that. Nothing wrong with borrowing from greatness, what ever you think of Polanksi's criminality. 

True story - and all of my stories are true, as I always say - because they are - this flick came out and everyone was talking about it.  Cheap Trick went through the roof. There was an emergency 'meeting' in the auditorium at school, full house, where we were all warned by the Principal to avoid mary jee wanna cigarettes. This drug taking has to stop, you kids and your mary jee wanna cigarettes. Over a movie?  I thought 'Reefer Madness' was next on the menu. Some were ready to spitball him, and a ton of uncontrolled snickering went on.  It's a poor man's 'Rebel Without a Cause' - only the acting is better or worse depending on which glasses you're wearing. 

The 'Last Rebel' has to be one of the worst cat turd movies ever made, but it never gets the bad credit it deserves. I could never decide if it warrants a hug or a perp walk. Some of the soundtrak is OK, but watching Joe Namath wielding guns and knives against the Klan and riding, riding, riding a horse across the desert in intolerable not meant for slow motion, where are the zombies? Fukk this movie. OK, I've seen it 4 times. F+

• Upvote 1

'Impromptu', I love that movie. It's such a guilty fop pleasure. "Balls!"  Judy Davis is great in it.

Speaking of fops, 'Barry Lyndon'.  Ryan O'Neal, pulleez;  but it's super duper fun. I think I started snoring through it when I was 12, but it's so worth a re-watch.  If you can endure subtitles, which I'm getting less and less able to endure, 'Ridicule'. Outwit your opponent with words. Good luck. 

4 hours ago, jetophile said:

'Trick R Treat'. The kill count is outstanding. I like vignettes. Especially when they involve corn puffs, mental retardation, chocolate syrup and cyanide. 

Trick or Treat is better. It comes highly recommended. 

• Upvote 1

Is there a Stanley Kubrick film not worth watching? Barry Lyndon is a historic piece with attention paid to detail including music.

To be watched on a bigger screen. There was an intermission when it was first released. The last time I watched it, on DVD, it had the intermission and I watched it in two sittings. I've watched it a few times and will watch it again.

All Kubrick films are worth repeated viewing

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

@RutgersJetFan

I got 30 mins into Barry Lyndon last weekend and got interrupted.  Is it worth the 3 and a half hours ?

the scenery is amazing, but is the story worth it?

Yes. Excepting Spartacus, everything made from Killer's Kiss on is worth a watch.

I will add, Barry Lyndon is gorgeous but it can be boring if you're not in the exact right type of mood to watch something slow-paced. Very unique Kubrick film. I think I've only watched the entire thing front-to-back twice at most and I'm not sure I ever will again. You really have to be prepared for the long haul.

I have heard some argue that it's his most detail-oriented film, but my opinion is that anyone who says that is ignorant of just how much attention he paid to every single angle and prop in The Shining.

Certainly worth your time if you love Kubrick. The way he centralizes everything on character actors is something you don't see very often, and combine that with the sets and soundtrack it's damn impressive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes. Excepting Spartacus, everything made from Killer's Kiss on is worth a watch . . .

Holy Smokes, crapping on 'Spartacus'?!  N-o-o-o-o-o-o!  It's awesome. As in awesomely unintentionally campy. See a few pages back. :)

Tony Curtis as Antoninus, hahahaha.  "I am Antoninus, Singa of Sawngs." Don't forget, he also used to juggle. I can't stand Jean Simmons, but you withstand the assault for the payoffs. 

Don't ever get me started on Chuck Heston. A personal fave. Haha, the avatars I used to have. I should start bringing them back. Whatever you do, don't attempt to sit through 'The Private War of Major Benson' - unless you're high as fukk or trying to commit suicide by saccharin and boredom. 

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

Holy Smokes, crapping on 'Spartacus'?!  N-o-o-o-o-o-o!  It's awesome. As in awesomely unintentionally campy. See a few pages back. :)

Tony Curtis as Antoninus, hahahaha.  "I am Antoninus, Singa of Sawngs." Don't forget, he also used to juggle. I can't stand Jean Simmons, but you withstand the assault for the payoffs. 

Don't ever get me started on Chuck Heston. A personal fave. Haha, the avatars I used to have. I should start bringing them back. Whatever you do, don't attempt to sit through 'The Private War of Major Benson' - unless you're high as fukk or trying to commit suicide by saccharin and boredom. 

It's terrible in respect to it being a Kubrick movie. He did everything he could to disassociate himself from it as time passed.  The upside from Spartacus is that it was the catalyst for him morphing into the control freak that we all love. So I guess we have Kirk Douglas to thank for Lolita and Dr. Strangelove.

^I heard! Might check it out for the fun factor, but Keanu Reeves gets me nuts for the most part. He tries really hard, but he's so wooden. Do you have to sit through the eh first John Wick or not?  Here's an odd crumb that I remember.  Reeves was playing Hamlet on stage in Canada years ago, and when he said, "My excellent good friends",  snickers and chortles aplenty.  Only the Patron Saint of Memory would know why I recalled that.  

It depends what I'm in the mood for.  I ain't no art-house snob, obviously, it just sticks on whether I feel like watching something with no plot and sh!t blowing up on a given day. I'm totally good for that. I just get moody and it better kill or sukk just right or I'm walkin' out if it's not what I signed up for. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's terrible in respect to it being a Kubrick movie. He did everything he could to disassociate himself from it as time passed.  The upside from Spartacus is that it was the catalyst for him morphing into the control freak that we all love. So I guess we have Kirk Douglas to thank for Lolita and Dr. Strangelove.

Spartacus is not really a Kubrick film - he was brought in to rescue it after it started production.