Jets QB Discussion - Smith, Vick, and Sanchez

AZJETSFAN

I have been a Jets fan since I was knee high and I will always bleed green until the day I die!! But one has to speak out when year after year, decade after decade you watch the same coach after coach making one dumb decision after another. Wouldn't you know it that majority of the time these decisions that I'm referring to are about the QB position. I can start with the Jets QB roller coaster ride beginning in the 70's but then this article would take forever to write. So let's jump ahead to when the Jets brought in Favre. Instead of the Jets going out and finding an Aaron Rodgers they sign an worn out veteran that was released because of his stats were rapidly going down. Result of this decision, 8-8 No Playoffs. The next season the Jets finally used their brains and drafted Mark Sanchez. Sanchez in his first two seasons took the Jets to the AFC Championship Games. How great that was. Then between his second and third season the Jets Offensive line went from being the best in the NFL to the pretty much worse in the league. With this happening Sanchez's ability to play was nonexistent. Seriously, how can you expect a QB to do his job when the Offensive line couldn't give him any time for a play to develop? During Sanchez's third and fourth seasons, I bet that any high school football team could have ran right through the Jets Offensive line. (Except for Nick Mangold. That man is a machine.) So instead of doing what was needed to fix the problem to help Sanchez get back on track, the Jets like the media blame Sanchez and then the Jets decide the answer is, let's sign another QB. That will fix the problem. I guess who needs a Offensive line. Anyway, this is when the Jets brought in Tim Tebow. Which the whole Tebow thing still confuses me. To be a QB don't you have to be able to throw a football? I guess not but either way the Jets once again go out and sign a QB that 1, wasn't what they needed to fix the team, and 2, signed a player that really didn't have good statistics at all. Do they never learn a lesson? At least Favre was a legend for his play in Green Bay but Tebow? Give me a break. He never was and never would be a QB in the NFL. So once again the Jets bring in a QB(or lack there of) and nothing came of that decision. Especially when they had a QB that has shown with protection he can play. Now, they finally bought a clue and did some repair work to the Offensive line which then Sanchez would be able to do his job. But the Jets once again instead of getting what they really needed like tall, fast receivers in the draft they go after another QB. So now they drafted a cocky, big mouth, wanna be a QB named Geno Smith. Well it wasn't much of a surprise that with a improved Offensive line Sanchez during preseason looked like the Sanchez from his first two seasons while Smith looked like he didn't have a clue. It was obvious that Sanchez was going to be behind the center for the season opener. Until Rex Ryan decides it was a good decision to put in who was hands down the best QB on the roster in the fourth quarter of a preseason game. Which much of no surprise Sanchez got hit by some over zealous kid trying to earn a spot in the NFL ending Sanchez's season. Now here we are again during the off season and what are the Jets doing yet again? Let's bring in another has been veteran QB. Do they never learn?!!! Bringing in Michael Vick is just another big mistake like bringing in Favre and Tebow. What is even worse is that they in doing this are going to keep Smith and release Sanchez. Now this is where I am getting angry with the Jets and their poor decisions. I know that the Sanchez has made his share of mistakes during his third and forth seasons, like the infamous butt fumble, and he has thrown a lot of int's and fumble the ball too many times but if he had any kind of protection at all or maybe just a little bit of time after hiking the ball instead of running to try avoid being sacked, maybe his playing and his stat's wouldn't be as bad as they are. I really think that under the circumstances Sanchez did all he could to try and win games for the Jets. I also strongly believe that if it was Peyton Manning that was playing instead of Sanchez behind The Offensive line during those two seasons the outcome wouldn't be any better then what Sanchez did. This is how much it was Sanchez's fault, during the 2012 season week 16 the Jets played San Diego and for that game Rex Ryan decided to bench Sanchez and start Greg McElroy. Needless to say Poor McElroy spent most the game on the ground from being sacked. I still remember that at one point McElroy was sacked six times in a row over two Offensive possessions for the Jets. That had to be one of the worst display's I think I have ever saw in my life. McElroy was hit so many times during that game that his shoulder was torn up really bad. So bad that he is no longer a player in the NFL. My point is that obviously Sanchez is not and was not the reason for the Jets having bad seasons during those two seasons. So for the Jets to release him and put the future of the team in the hands of Smith or Vick is a decision that is going to wind up with the Jets looking like the Jets of the late 80's and early 90's. I'm sure that Jets fans can remember those seasons. The 3-13 and the 4-12 records year after year. I will still cheer and bleed green without a doubt but why does this have to happen? Actually it doesn't have to happen and it starts with 1, forget about the whole Vick becoming a Jet, he is not going to help bring the Jets where we all want them to be. 2, realize that Smith is not who or what you thought he was going to be when you drafted him. At least not yet. Let him watch and learn for a little while and who knows maybe he can eventually be a good QB. 3, forget about the two seasons Sanchez didn't play up to expectations because like I already explained it really wasn't his fault that the Offensive line played like a bunch of high school kids and didn't protect him at all. I know "what about the salary cap and Sanchez's current contract?" which brings me to number 4, sit down with Sanchez and discuss the idea of reworking his contract so that he can remain a Jet and the Jets can free up some space under the cap. Sanchez has already proven that he is a team player by reworking his contract once before so I believe he wouldn't mind doing it again. Then come preseason, like last season, let Sanchez and Smith compete for the right to be the starting QB come week 1. I think that this scenario is the best approach for the Jets. Bringing in a worn out injury plagued QB such as Vick is not only a bad decision but it is only going to end up like things did with Favre and Tebow, another season that the Jets don't make the post season. As for Smith, he did not in any way last season show that he is a  good enough QB to get the Jets to the big game. He still has a lot of learning and growing up to do if he is ever going to get the Jets there. I still have nightmares over the game Smith tried to change hands with the football in our end zone while he was being sacked. He's really just not ready to be a starting QB in the NFL. Sanchez is the best option that the Jets have to get us to the big game. These are my thoughts and opinions on the whole Jets QB problem. What do you think is the best approach for the Jets and their QB issues? If you are going to post a comment please post comments or whatever that opens insight and not childish comments. KEEP SANCHEZ AND FORGET ABOUT VICK!!!!  **AZJETSFAN**

post-28023-0-55251700-1394186044_thumb.j

I think that's a pretty impossible to read wall of text and that the Jets should forget about both Vick and Sanchez.

So then your saying that Smith is the best decision for the Jets QB? Really? Because maybe I missed something last season when Smith was the QB and majority of the time(over 80%) he played terrible.  

So then your saying that Smith is the best decision for the Jets QB? Really? Because maybe I missed something last season when Smith was the QB and majority of the time(over 80%) he played terrible.

Smith was better as a rookie than Sanchez was, with a significantly worse surrounding cast. Slightly better passer, much better runner. You're complaining about Smith's ugly behind the back fumble, but completely dismiss the buttfumble. I don't know what to tell you.

I'd like to see the Jets upgrade at the position, but don't see either Vick or Sanchez as an upgrade. Unfortunately the FA market is weak, and there doesn't seem to be much on the trade market, either. I expect Geno to get the nod, and I'm taking it from there. He had a nice few weeks of the season, and I'm hoping the Jets upgrade his worst in the league receiving corps, and he builds on that final month. I hope that because I don't see (m)any other options. Sanchez certainly isn't one.

Smith was better as a rookie than Sanchez was, with a significantly worse surrounding cast. Slightly better passer, much better runner. You're complaining about Smith's ugly behind the back fumble, but completely dismiss the buttfumble. I don't know what to tell you.

I'd like to see the Jets upgrade at the position, but don't see either Vick or Sanchez as an upgrade. Unfortunately the FA market is weak, and there doesn't seem to be much on the trade market, either. I expect Geno to get the nod, and I'm taking it from there. He had a nice few weeks of the season, and I'm hoping the Jets upgrade his worst in the league receiving corps, and he builds on that final month. I hope that because I don't see (m)any other options. Sanchez certainly isn't one.

How do you figure that Smith was a better rookie then Sanchez? I seem to recall Sanchez in his rookie year took the Jets to the AFC Championship game and then did it again in his second year as well. How far did smith take the the Jets in the post season in his rookie year? Oh that's right he didn't even come close to making the post season. Smith reminds me of another QB the Jets had high hopes for but then quickly realized they were wrong like they will with Smith and that other QB was Browning Nagle. 

How do you figure that Smith was a better rookie then Sanchez? I seem to recall Sanchez in his rookie year took the Jets to the AFC Championship game and then did it again in his second year as well. How far did smith take the the Jets in the post season in his rookie year? Oh that's right he didn't even come close to making the post season. Smith reminds me of another QB the Jets had high hopes for but then quickly realized they were wrong like they will with Smith and that other QB was Browning Nagle. 

smith ate less hot dogs on the sideline, sideline hotdog eating has proven to be very predictive of suckage

So quickly I am seeing that there are a lot of Sanchez haters out there and to each there own but Smith is not the answer at all. If Smith is the starting QB for the Jets in the 2014 season the Jets will be lucky if they are at least 5-11. My guess is 4-12. So here we go again, another long, aggravating, heart breaking season. We might as well put the green helmets back on too.  

I have been a Jets fan since I was knee high and I will always bleed green until the day I die!! But one has to speak out when year after year, decade after decade you watch the same coach after coach making one dumb decision after another. Wouldn't you know it that majority of the time these decisions that I'm referring to are about the QB position. I can start with the Jets QB roller coaster ride beginning in the 70's but then this article would take forever to write. So let's jump ahead to when the Jets brought in Favre. Instead of the Jets going out and finding an Aaron Rodgers they sign an worn out veteran that was released because of his stats were rapidly going down. Result of this decision, 8-8 No Playoffs. The next season the Jets finally used their brains and drafted Mark Sanchez. Sanchez in his first two seasons took the Jets to the AFC Championship Games. How great that was. Then between his second and third season the Jets Offensive line went from being the best in the NFL to the pretty much worse in the league. With this happening Sanchez's ability to play was nonexistent. Seriously, how can you expect a QB to do his job when the Offensive line couldn't give him any time for a play to develop? During Sanchez's third and fourth seasons, I bet that any high school football team could have ran right through the Jets Offensive line. (Except for Nick Mangold. That man is a machine.) So instead of doing what was needed to fix the problem to help Sanchez get back on track, the Jets like the media blame Sanchez and then the Jets decide the answer is, let's sign another QB. That will fix the problem. I guess who needs a Offensive line. Anyway, this is when the Jets brought in Tim Tebow. Which the whole Tebow thing still confuses me. To be a QB don't you have to be able to throw a football? I guess not but either way the Jets once again go out and sign a QB that 1, wasn't what they needed to fix the team, and 2, signed a player that really didn't have good statistics at all. Do they never learn a lesson? At least Favre was a legend for his play in Green Bay but Tebow? Give me a break. He never was and never would be a QB in the NFL. So once again the Jets bring in a QB(or lack there of) and nothing came of that decision. Especially when they had a QB that has shown with protection he can play. Now, they finally bought a clue and did some repair work to the Offensive line which then Sanchez would be able to do his job. But the Jets once again instead of getting what they really needed like tall, fast receivers in the draft they go after another QB. So now they drafted a cocky, big mouth, wanna be a QB named Geno Smith. Well it wasn't much of a surprise that with a improved Offensive line Sanchez during preseason looked like the Sanchez from his first two seasons while Smith looked like he didn't have a clue. It was obvious that Sanchez was going to be behind the center for the season opener. Until Rex Ryan decides it was a good decision to put in who was hands down the best QB on the roster in the fourth quarter of a preseason game. Which much of no surprise Sanchez got hit by some over zealous kid trying to earn a spot in the NFL ending Sanchez's season. Now here we are again during the off season and what are the Jets doing yet again? Let's bring in another has been veteran QB. Do they never learn?!!! Bringing in Michael Vick is just another big mistake like bringing in Favre and Tebow. What is even worse is that they in doing this are going to keep Smith and release Sanchez. Now this is where I am getting angry with the Jets and their poor decisions. I know that the Sanchez has made his share of mistakes during his third and forth seasons, like the infamous butt fumble, and he has thrown a lot of int's and fumble the ball too many times but if he had any kind of protection at all or maybe just a little bit of time after hiking the ball instead of running to try avoid being sacked, maybe his playing and his stat's wouldn't be as bad as they are. I really think that under the circumstances Sanchez did all he could to try and win games for the Jets. I also strongly believe that if it was Peyton Manning that was playing instead of Sanchez behind The Offensive line during those two seasons the outcome wouldn't be any better then what Sanchez did. This is how much it was Sanchez's fault, during the 2012 season week 16 the Jets played San Diego and for that game Rex Ryan decided to bench Sanchez and start Greg McElroy. Needless to say Poor McElroy spent most the game on the ground from being sacked. I still remember that at one point McElroy was sacked six times in a row over two Offensive possessions for the Jets. That had to be one of the worst display's I think I have ever saw in my life. McElroy was hit so many times during that game that his shoulder was torn up really bad. So bad that he is no longer a player in the NFL. My point is that obviously Sanchez is not and was not the reason for the Jets having bad seasons during those two seasons. So for the Jets to release him and put the future of the team in the hands of Smith or Vick is a decision that is going to wind up with the Jets looking like the Jets of the late 80's and early 90's. I'm sure that Jets fans can remember those seasons. The 3-13 and the 4-12 records year after year. I will still cheer and bleed green without a doubt but why does this have to happen? Actually it doesn't have to happen and it starts with 1, forget about the whole Vick becoming a Jet, he is not going to help bring the Jets where we all want them to be. 2, realize that Smith is not who or what you thought he was going to be when you drafted him. At least not yet. Let him watch and learn for a little while and who knows maybe he can eventually be a good QB. 3, forget about the two seasons Sanchez didn't play up to expectations because like I already explained it really wasn't his fault that the Offensive line played like a bunch of high school kids and didn't protect him at all. I know "what about the salary cap and Sanchez's current contract?" which brings me to number 4, sit down with Sanchez and discuss the idea of reworking his contract so that he can remain a Jet and the Jets can free up some space under the cap. Sanchez has already proven that he is a team player by reworking his contract once before so I believe he wouldn't mind doing it again. Then come preseason, like last season, let Sanchez and Smith compete for the right to be the starting QB come week 1. I think that this scenario is the best approach for the Jets. Bringing in a worn out injury plagued QB such as Vick is not only a bad decision but it is only going to end up like things did with Favre and Tebow, another season that the Jets don't make the post season. As for Smith, he did not in any way last season show that he is a  good enough QB to get the Jets to the big game. He still has a lot of learning and growing up to do if he is ever going to get the Jets there. I still have nightmares over the game Smith tried to change hands with the football in our end zone while he was being sacked. He's really just not ready to be a starting QB in the NFL. Sanchez is the best option that the Jets have to get us to the big game. These are my thoughts and opinions on the whole Jets QB problem. What do you think is the best approach for the Jets and their QB issues? If you are going to post a comment please post comments or whatever that opens insight and not childish comments. KEEP SANCHEZ AND FORGET ABOUT VICK!!!!  **AZJETSFAN**

Who is this fuggen Mark Sanchez? show us how to get an extra 13 million dollars added to our payroll, you're a dangerous poster!

Who is this fuggen Mark Sanchez? show us how to get an extra 13 million dollars added to our payroll, you're a dangerous poster!

The only danger I'm seeing is your inability to read. I very clearly stated that Sanchez would have to be willing to rework his contract.

Geno had more yards, more yards pet attempts, lower int%, higher completion percentage, combined for three more touchdowns and 260 yards on the ground and let the team to the same amount of wins at 8, all with a much worse team.  Geno has by no means shown he's the answer, but his rookie year was better than Mark's in every facet. Except maybe for banging hot chicks. I'll give that one to Mark.

Add top offensive line in football to the things the jets need to properly evaluate Sanchez. Man if the jets could just figure out a way to get all of this at the same time: top 5 defense to keep us in games, the best oline in football, a real receiver or two, a decent pass catching tight end, and a future HOF RB THEN we could finally properly evaluate him! Oh wait we did have all of that and Sanchez still couldn't even rise to game manager status due to all the turnovers.

The team plane deserves more credit for getting the jets to those AFC champ games than Sanchez does.

I have been a Jets fan since I was knee high and I will always bleed green until the day I die!! But one has to speak out when year after year, decade after decade you watch the same coach after coach making one dumb decision after another. Wouldn't you know it that majority of the time these decisions that I'm referring to are about the QB position. I can start with the Jets QB roller coaster ride beginning in the 70's but then this article would take forever to write. So let's jump ahead to when the Jets brought in Favre. Instead of the Jets going out and finding an Aaron Rodgers they sign an worn out veteran that was released because of his stats were rapidly going down. Result of this decision, 8-8 No Playoffs. The next season the Jets finally used their brains and drafted Mark Sanchez. Sanchez in his first two seasons took the Jets to the AFC Championship Games. How great that was. Then between his second and third season the Jets Offensive line went from being the best in the NFL to the pretty much worse in the league. With this happening Sanchez's ability to play was nonexistent. Seriously, how can you expect a QB to do his job when the Offensive line couldn't give him any time for a play to develop? During Sanchez's third and fourth seasons, I bet that any high school football team could have ran right through the Jets Offensive line. (Except for Nick Mangold. That man is a machine.) So instead of doing what was needed to fix the problem to help Sanchez get back on track, the Jets like the media blame Sanchez and then the Jets decide the answer is, let's sign another QB. That will fix the problem. I guess who needs a Offensive line. Anyway, this is when the Jets brought in Tim Tebow. Which the whole Tebow thing still confuses me. To be a QB don't you have to be able to throw a football? I guess not but either way the Jets once again go out and sign a QB that 1, wasn't what they needed to fix the team, and 2, signed a player that really didn't have good statistics at all. Do they never learn a lesson? At least Favre was a legend for his play in Green Bay but Tebow? Give me a break. He never was and never would be a QB in the NFL. So once again the Jets bring in a QB(or lack there of) and nothing came of that decision. Especially when they had a QB that has shown with protection he can play. Now, they finally bought a clue and did some repair work to the Offensive line which then Sanchez would be able to do his job. But the Jets once again instead of getting what they really needed like tall, fast receivers in the draft they go after another QB. So now they drafted a cocky, big mouth, wanna be a QB named Geno Smith. Well it wasn't much of a surprise that with a improved Offensive line Sanchez during preseason looked like the Sanchez from his first two seasons while Smith looked like he didn't have a clue. It was obvious that Sanchez was going to be behind the center for the season opener. Until Rex Ryan decides it was a good decision to put in who was hands down the best QB on the roster in the fourth quarter of a preseason game. Which much of no surprise Sanchez got hit by some over zealous kid trying to earn a spot in the NFL ending Sanchez's season. Now here we are again during the off season and what are the Jets doing yet again? Let's bring in another has been veteran QB. Do they never learn?!!! Bringing in Michael Vick is just another big mistake like bringing in Favre and Tebow. What is even worse is that they in doing this are going to keep Smith and release Sanchez. Now this is where I am getting angry with the Jets and their poor decisions. I know that the Sanchez has made his share of mistakes during his third and forth seasons, like the infamous butt fumble, and he has thrown a lot of int's and fumble the ball too many times but if he had any kind of protection at all or maybe just a little bit of time after hiking the ball instead of running to try avoid being sacked, maybe his playing and his stat's wouldn't be as bad as they are. I really think that under the circumstances Sanchez did all he could to try and win games for the Jets. I also strongly believe that if it was Peyton Manning that was playing instead of Sanchez behind The Offensive line during those two seasons the outcome wouldn't be any better then what Sanchez did. This is how much it was Sanchez's fault, during the 2012 season week 16 the Jets played San Diego and for that game Rex Ryan decided to bench Sanchez and start Greg McElroy. Needless to say Poor McElroy spent most the game on the ground from being sacked. I still remember that at one point McElroy was sacked six times in a row over two Offensive possessions for the Jets. That had to be one of the worst display's I think I have ever saw in my life. McElroy was hit so many times during that game that his shoulder was torn up really bad. So bad that he is no longer a player in the NFL. My point is that obviously Sanchez is not and was not the reason for the Jets having bad seasons during those two seasons. So for the Jets to release him and put the future of the team in the hands of Smith or Vick is a decision that is going to wind up with the Jets looking like the Jets of the late 80's and early 90's. I'm sure that Jets fans can remember those seasons. The 3-13 and the 4-12 records year after year. I will still cheer and bleed green without a doubt but why does this have to happen? Actually it doesn't have to happen and it starts with 1, forget about the whole Vick becoming a Jet, he is not going to help bring the Jets where we all want them to be. 2, realize that Smith is not who or what you thought he was going to be when you drafted him. At least not yet. Let him watch and learn for a little while and who knows maybe he can eventually be a good QB. 3, forget about the two seasons Sanchez didn't play up to expectations because like I already explained it really wasn't his fault that the Offensive line played like a bunch of high school kids and didn't protect him at all. I know "what about the salary cap and Sanchez's current contract?" which brings me to number 4, sit down with Sanchez and discuss the idea of reworking his contract so that he can remain a Jet and the Jets can free up some space under the cap. Sanchez has already proven that he is a team player by reworking his contract once before so I believe he wouldn't mind doing it again. Then come preseason, like last season, let Sanchez and Smith compete for the right to be the starting QB come week 1. I think that this scenario is the best approach for the Jets. Bringing in a worn out injury plagued QB such as Vick is not only a bad decision but it is only going to end up like things did with Favre and Tebow, another season that the Jets don't make the post season. As for Smith, he did not in any way last season show that he is a good enough QB to get the Jets to the big game. He still has a lot of learning and growing up to do if he is ever going to get the Jets there. I still have nightmares over the game Smith tried to change hands with the football in our end zone while he was being sacked. He's really just not ready to be a starting QB in the NFL. Sanchez is the best option that the Jets have to get us to the big game. These are my thoughts and opinions on the whole Jets QB problem. What do you think is the best approach for the Jets and their QB issues? If you are going to post a comment please post comments or whatever that opens insight and not childish comments. KEEP SANCHEZ AND FORGET ABOUT VICK!!!! **AZJETSFAN**

How do you feel about Jimmy Garoppolo?

So quickly I am seeing that there are a lot of Sanchez haters out there and to each there own but Smith is not the answer at all. If Smith is the starting QB for the Jets in the 2014 season the Jets will be lucky if they are at least 5-11. My guess is 4-12. So here we go again, another long, aggravating, heart breaking season. We might as well put the green helmets back on too.  

You can't possibly know this!  Grow up!  With that being said, I agree with you about NOT bringing in a long in the tooth FA.  I would find a reworked Sanchez contract acceptable followed by the year two preseason QB competition.  But if not Sanchez then a mid round draft pick like Aaron Murray would be the way to go IMHO.      

The only danger I'm seeing is your inability to read. I very clearly stated that Sanchez would have to be willing to rework his contract.

With Sanchez:  5-11

With Smith: 6-10

With McCown : 9-7

With Vick : 10-6

With Manziel: 10-6

With Kolb: 9-7

With Cassell: 8-8

With Cousins: 9-7

YOU CHOOSE.

No discussion.  Sanchez is awful.  

OK, some discussion.

Smith had a rough month-long patch as a rookie.  Whether it's the cause or not, it coincided with every single one of his starting+slot receivers being injured.  

Sanchez had TWO rough month-long patches in his last season starting here in his 4th season as starter without this handicap.  First 2 years with him was a combination of getting dragged kicking and screaming to the playoffs in year 1 (after his own HC thought he blew it vs Atlanta, then Indy and Cin letting us walk over them by pulling their starters).  Also 1 of those wins as a rookie was with Clemens starting, not Sanchez.  Year 2 he had the benefit of opposing defenses dropping some 15+ interceptions on the season, which has got to be some kind of record.  So his stats improved but his actual play didn't really change all that much.  When your success is reliant upon the incompetence of your opponent, then you still pretty much suck.  And like his rookie season, the team was top 5 or better on the OL, in the ground game, on defense, and on special teams.  But sure, Sanchez took them to the playoffs and the AFCCG twice.

Smith will either improve in year 2 or he won't.  If he doesn't then we have no use for him.  But given that he didn't play in a pro style offense in college, and his first introduction to doing so - for more than just random plays here & there - was getting thrown onto the field as an unready rookie with little help around him, he's the type one would expect to make the biggest strides from year 1 to year 2.  Also he missed some valuable time in August with the injury, and for the whole offseason aggregately he ultimately received less than 50% of the work with the starters.

Now that's where his excuses must end, because the NFL doesn't spot us a touchdown every week because "Oh, poor us we're using Geno Smith and he's just learning." I don't expect him to be on Russell Wilson's level in year 2, but if he's a keeper I do expect him to make massive improvement, with some indication that still more improvement is in his future. Not every QB reaches his playing prime in year 2, but few look like hot garbage for the bulk of two seasons and then show to be really good QBs after that (Sanchez being a prime example).

OK, some discussion.

Smith had a rough month-long patch as a rookie.  Whether it's the cause or not, it coincided with every single one of his starting+slot receivers being injured.  

Sanchez had TWO rough month-long patches in his last season starting here in his 4th season as starter without this handicap.  First 2 years with him was a combination of getting dragged kicking and screaming to the playoffs in year 1 (after his own HC thought he blew it vs Atlanta, then Indy and Cin letting us walk over them by pulling their starters).  Also 1 of those wins as a rookie was with Clemens starting, not Sanchez.  Year 2 he had the benefit of opposing defenses dropping some 15+ interceptions on the season, which has got to be some kind of record.  So his stats improved but his actual play didn't really change all that much.  When your success is reliant upon the incompetence of your opponent, then you still pretty much suck.  And like his rookie season, the team was top 5 or better on the OL, in the ground game, on defense, and on special teams.  But sure, Sanchez took them to the playoffs and the AFCCG twice.

Smith will either improve in year 2 or he won't.  If he doesn't then we have no use for him.  But given that he didn't play in a pro style offense in college, and his first introduction to doing so - for more than just random plays here & there - was getting thrown onto the as an unready rookie with little help around him, he's the type one would expect to make the biggest strides from year 1 to year 2.  Also he missed some valuable time in August with the injury, and for the whole offseason aggregately he ultimately received less than 50% of the work with the starters.

Now that's where his excuses must end, because the NFL doesn't spot us a touchdown every week because "Oh, poor us we're using Geno Smith and he's just learning." I don't expect him to be on Russell Wilson's level in year 2, but if he's a keeper I do expect him to make massive improvement, with some indication that still more improvement is in his future. Not every QB reaches his playing prime in year 2, but few look like hot garbage for the bulk of two seasons and then show to be really good QBs after that (Sanchez being a prime example).

Sanchez sucks. In your honor

Briefly, "Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the

Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don't tell me that this means war,

if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by

that Antichrist- I really believe he is Antichrist- I will have

nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer

my 'faithful slave,' as you call yourself! But how do you do? I see

I have frightened you- sit down and tell me all the news."

It was in July, 1805, and the speaker was the well-known Anna

Pavlovna Scherer, maid of honor and favorite of the Empress Marya

Fedorovna. With these words she greeted Prince Vasili Kuragin, a man

of high rank and importance, who was the first to arrive at her

reception. Anna Pavlovna had had a cough for some days. She was, as

she said, suffering from la grippe; grippe being then a new word in

St. Petersburg, used only by the elite.

All her invitations without exception, written in French, and

delivered by a scarlet-liveried footman that morning, ran as follows:

"If you have nothing better to do, Count [or Prince], and if the

prospect of spending an evening with a poor invalid is not too

terrible, I shall be very charmed to see you tonight between 7 and 10-

Annette Scherer."

"Heavens! what a virulent attack!" replied the prince, not in the

least disconcerted by this reception. He had just entered, wearing

an embroidered court uniform, knee breeches, and shoes, and had

stars on his breast and a serene expression on his flat face. He spoke

in that refined French in which our grandfathers not only spoke but

thought, and with the gentle, patronizing intonation natural to a

man of importance who had grown old in society and at court. He went

up to Anna Pavlovna, kissed her hand, presenting to her his bald,

scented, and shining head, and complacently seated himself on the

sofa.

"First of all, dear friend, tell me how you are. Set your friend's

mind at rest," said he without altering his tone, beneath the

politeness and affected sympathy of which indifference and even

irony could be discerned.

"Can one be well while suffering morally? Can one be calm in times

like these if one has any feeling?" said Anna Pavlovna. "You are

staying the whole evening, I hope?"

"And the fete at the English ambassador's? Today is Wednesday. I

must put in an appearance there," said the prince. "My daughter is

coming for me to take me there."

"I thought today's fete had been canceled. I confess all these

festivities and fireworks are becoming wearisome."

"If they had known that you wished it, the entertainment would

have been put off," said the prince, who, like a wound-up clock, by

force of habit said things he did not even wish to be believed.

"Don't tease! Well, and what has been decided about Novosiltsev's

dispatch? You know everything."

"What can one say about it?" replied the prince in a cold,

listless tone. "What has been decided? They have decided that

Buonaparte has burnt his boats, and I believe that we are ready to

burn ours."

Prince Vasili always spoke languidly, like an actor repeating a

stale part. Anna Pavlovna Scherer on the contrary, despite her forty

years, overflowed with animation and impulsiveness. To be an

enthusiast had become her social vocation and, sometimes even when she

did not feel like it, she became enthusiastic in order not to

disappoint the expectations of those who knew her. The subdued smile

which, though it did not suit her faded features, always played

round her lips expressed, as in a spoiled child, a continual

consciousness of her charming defect, which she neither wished, nor

could, nor considered it necessary, to correct.

In the midst of a conversation on political matters Anna Pavlovna

burst out:

"Oh, don't speak to me of Austria. Perhaps I don't understand

things, but Austria never has wished, and does not wish, for war.

She is betraying us! Russia alone must save Europe. Our gracious

sovereign recognizes his high vocation and will be true to it. That is

the one thing I have faith in! Our good and wonderful sovereign has to

perform the noblest role on earth, and he is so virtuous and noble

that God will not forsake him. He will fulfill his vocation and

crush the hydra of revolution, which has become more terrible than

ever in the person of this murderer and villain! We alone must

avenge the blood of the just one.... Whom, I ask you, can we rely

on?... England with her commercial spirit will not and cannot

understand the Emperor Alexander's loftiness of soul. She has

refused to evacuate Malta. She wanted to find, and still seeks, some

secret motive in our actions. What answer did Novosiltsev get? None.

The English have not understood and cannot understand the

self-abnegation of our Emperor who wants nothing for himself, but only

desires the good of mankind. And what have they promised? Nothing! And

what little they have promised they will not perform! Prussia has

always declared that Buonaparte is invincible, and that all Europe

is powerless before him.... And I don't believe a word that Hardenburg

says, or Haugwitz either. This famous Prussian neutrality is just a

trap. I have faith only in God and the lofty destiny of our adored

monarch. He will save Europe!"

She suddenly paused, smiling at her own impetuosity.

OK, some discussion.

Smith will either improve in year 2 or he won't.  If he doesn't then we have no use for him.  But given that he didn't play in a pro style offense in college, and his first introduction to doing so - for more than just random plays here & there - was getting thrown onto the as an unready rookie with little help around him, he's the type one would expect to make the biggest strides from year 1 to year 2.  Also he missed some valuable time in August with the injury, and for the whole offseason aggregately he ultimately received less than 50% of the work with the starters.

good post. one question: do you see a qb competition as part of geno's development? it seems you may be advocating letting him go into year two as the starter and then decide once and for all whether he is "the guy"

Really? What do you think the Jets should do about the QB situation then?

Bring Sanchez back for no more than $3 mil or let him walk.  Let him compete with Geno, a vet, and at least one draft pick.

Will you please take off the Geno Smith palm palms! You embarrass yourself every time you defend him. He was completely overmatched and the Jets are drafting a QB.

Will you please take off the Geno Smith palm palms! You embarrass yourself every time you defend him. He was completely overmatched and the Jets are drafting a QB.

They're pom-poms.

Listen, I know you're a single/simple-minded sort, but recognizing things like not everything Geno did was bad, or the free agent QB market sucks this year, doesn't mean I'm in love with Geno. I'm more resigned to the idea that he'll be the starter this season, and I'd rather look for reasons he should be able to improve rather than be a dick and repeat Geno Sucks! in every thread. To me, that's boring, dumb, counter-productive, and completely uninteresting.

We'll see what the Jets do. Will they draft a QB? Probably. Where they draft one will be more telling than if they take one.

good post. one question: do you see a qb competition as part of geno's development? it seems you may be advocating letting him go into year two as the starter and then decide once and for all whether he is "the guy"

Definitely competition. He hasn't come close to earning a no-competition offseason.

Even though he gets fewer first-team snaps, that's too bad. Then he should win the competition early if that is a problem to be resolved.

Archived