The INT at the end of first half lost this game. Completely reversed momentum.

CTM

I don't care who the HC/DC is, that secondary should never be "expected" to shut down a lead against Aaron Rodgers. They were always going to come back, always, it was just whether or not we could avoid a meltdown on offence, which we couldn't.

There were a lot of individual things which could have been seen as turning points, but to be honest even with the lead I never felt confident. The Packers should be beating the Jets. Easily. The match ups are just too favourable. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care who the HC/DC is, that secondary should never be "expected" to shut down a lead against Aaron Rodgers. They were always going to come back, always, it was just whether or not we could avoid a meltdown on offence, which we couldn't.

Exactly. Rodgers was going to get his points

Geno doesn't get hit, and they socre a TD there to go into the half 28-9 and the Jets win.

When it was 21-3 I turned to my wife, who looked happy for me, and said "Rex is afraid of having a lead, he's going to go conservative and they are going to **** this up completely."

The long pass in question to sudfield was not conservative. Going for a TD there instead of killing the clock and playing for the FG is the exact opposite of conservative.

At 21-3 and moving the ball...once we get into FG range feed Ivory the ball. Marty, like Andy falls too in love with the pass. We dont have the horses to be spreading out Green Bay and throwing it all over the field. We dont have enough speed at receiver to be doing that...still drives me crazy this team still has zero identity.

With Decker being out for a few weeks I'd assume....Ivory needs to be getting 20+ carries a game assuming we dont go down big early.

I agree that this play was the turning point in the game. Absolutely killed the Jets momentum, elevated the Packers and their fans who had previously been completely taken out of the game. If the Jets even kick a field goal there and then kick off to the Pack, I just don't see them marching down the field like that.

It's troubling to have Geno throw an interception two weeks in a row in scoring position, but I also can't blame him for that one. And I like the aggressive play call there. If there's blame to be placed, I guess you'd have to put it on the OL (Winters?).

So many big things went wrong in this one that it was unreal. The Jets losing their best players on either side of the ball (Mo and Decker), having their two biggest game-changing plays of the second half overturned by a 12-man penalty and a phantom TO. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this one hurt.

I agree that this play was the turning point in the game. Absolutely killed the Jets momentum, elevated the Packers and their fans who had previously been completely taken out of the game. If the Jets even kick a field goal there and then kick off to the Pack, I just don't see them marching down the field like that.

It's troubling to have Geno throw an interception two weeks in a row in scoring position, but I also can't blame him for that one. And I like the aggressive play call there. If there's blame to be placed, I guess you'd have to put it on the OL (Winters?).

So many big things went wrong in this one that it was unreal. The Jets losing their best players on either side of the ball (Mo and Decker), having their two biggest game-changing plays of the second half overturned by a 12-man penalty and a phantom TO. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this one hurt.

The Jets struggle with creating big plays and creating turnovers. To have both overturned on the road were serious kicks in the nuts. 

You cannot blame Geno for that INT. He was hit as he threw the ball, now if there had been no contact and he threw an INT...well then yes you could blame Geno but was hit right as he threw. Anyone that blames Geno for the INT does not understand the mechanics of throwing a football. An interruption to the throwing motion will probably lessen the force and control that is needed to throw a spiral. As such, we saw the ball flutter. How does Sudfeld not bat the ball down? He is  much taller than the Pack CB? 

That was the momentum shifter. Can't blame Geno, he played a great 1st half.

Bad coaching, bad O-Line play and lack of depth in the CB ranks killed the game for us. You don't coach not to lose.

LL

At 21-3 and moving the ball...once we get into FG range feed Ivory the ball. Marty, like Andy falls too in love with the pass. We dont have the horses to be spreading out Green Bay and throwing it all over the field. We dont have enough speed at receiver to be doing that...still drives me crazy this team still has zero identity.

With Decker being out for a few weeks I'd assume....Ivory needs to be getting 20+ carries a game assuming we dont go down big early.

The guy was wide open, it was an easy first and goal, and possibly a TD.

Just sh*tty luck, Geno releases a second sooner and we are talking 2-0 today

You cannot blame Geno for that INT. He was hit as he threw the ball, now if there had been no contact and he threw an INT...well then yes you could blame Geno but was hit right as he threw. Anyone that blames Geno for the INT does not understand the mechanics of throwing a football. An interruption to the throwing motion will probably lessen the force and control that is needed to throw a spiral. As such, we saw the ball flutter. How does Sudfeld not bat the ball down? He is  much taller than the Pack CB? 

That was the momentum shifter. Can't blame Geno, he played a great 1st half.

Bad coaching, bad O-Line play and lack of depth in the CB ranks killed the game for us. You don't coach not to lose.

LL

I am not blaming Geno jftr.. Winters and Sudeld were the goats there, mostly Sudfeld.

I just chalk it up to typical sh*tty jets luck, along with the 12th man a step away from being off the field getting called for 12 men, and the timeout.

Agree with everything you say, but that was my point of view before the game.

Once we made some nice plays and took advantage of circumstances and built a 21-3 lead nearing the half, the expectations changed. The areas of supposed strength (ground game, front seven, coaching) should have had enough cushion with that score to make it stick.

SAR I

It was 21-9 nearing the half...and then the interception.

You cant go on the road and only put up 3 points in the final 40 minutes of a game vs. an offense like Green Bay.  Geno went cold after that pick.  He was missing wide open guys.  The offense couldnt answer.  Yes, you'd like to think you can hold onto a 21-3 start.  But when you're working with a make-shift secondary on the road vs. the best QB in the league with really good weapons on the outside...you got to answer their scores.  Especially, when literally nothing is going your way.  They really couldnt catch a break.  You have to answer.  You have to keep scoring.  Bottom line.

Everyone (including myself) thought that what they saw in Seattle was the 2015 Green Bay Packers.  It wasnt.  It was week 1 and they played in a stadium that all but guarantees a home team victory.  Very similar to Lambeau.  Rodgers is basically unbeatable there. 

Its hard to look on the bright side after blowing that lead but the Jets just battled it out with a potential Super Bowl contender.  They should have won after that start, I agree...but its not shocking that Green Bay came back.  Geno went cold, Rodgers caught fire.  Young teams, young QB's...they're going to play inconsistent.  Thats what you saw yesterday.  

Still think this team is going in the right direction.

It was 21-9 nearing the half...and then the interception.

You cant go on the road and only put up 3 points in the final 40 minutes of a game vs. an offense like Green Bay.  Geno went cold after that pick.  He was missing wide open guys.  The offense couldnt answer.  Yes, you'd like to think you can hold onto a 21-3 start.  But when you're working with a make-shift secondary on the road vs. the best QB in the league with really good weapons on the outside...you got to answer their scores.  Especially, when literally nothing is going your way.  They really couldnt catch a break.  You have to answer.  You have to keep scoring.  Bottom line.

Everyone (including myself) thought that what they saw in Seattle was the 2015 Green Bay Packers.  It wasnt.  It was week 1 and they played in a stadium that all but guarantees a home team victory.  Very similar to Lambeau.  Rodgers is basically unbeatable there. 

Its hard to look on the bright side after blowing that lead but the Jets just battled it out with a potential Super Bowl contender.  They should have won after that start, I agree...but its not shocking that Green Bay came back.  Geno went cold, Rodgers caught fire.  Young teams, young QB's...they're going to play inconsistent.  Thats what you saw yesterday.  

Still think this team is going in the right direction.

I completely agree. We are trending upward. This team is way better on O this year than last year. We just need to be consistent and we need the coaching staff to not be so damn tentative. When they unschackled Geno you could see him light it up. It was only after they built the lead that they went into a shell. They cannot coach scared.

LL

Geno had 10+ other passes that were way off the mark.  If he had thrown that one more toward the sideline it would have been a touchdown.  Your assumption that he would have thrown and accurate pass had he not been hit is 50% at best possible when he cant even throw a screen correctly.

There were a lot of individual things which could have been seen as turning points, but to be honest even with the lead I never felt confident. The Packers should be beating the Jets. Easily. The match ups are just too favourable. 

Exactly. Rodgers was going to get his points

Geno doesn't get hit, and they socre a TD there to go into the half 28-9 and the Jets win.

This.

The pick flipped the game.  21-9 was already reachable.  Its ******* Rodgers at home, he's going to make a run.  Throw a TD in right before the half...it was all Green Bay from there.   The Jets need a couple of more scores or it was clear that Green Bay was coming back.  The offense went into meltdown mode.  OL sucked. Geno couldnt hit sh*t.

Once they get Geno playing 4 quarters of consistent Football, the Jets are going to be a really tough out.  They proved that yesterday and they only got a half of him playing well.  

on that play, I blame Winters first and foremost. He got beat so bad he was thrown to the ground. the pressure got there way too quick

sudfeld is next on the blame list, as he could have broken up the pass. He's got like a foot of height on the DB

geno is third. maybe he could have thrown it sooner. Honestly I don't think this one was on Geno. 

on that play, I blame Winters first and foremost. He got beat so bad he was thrown to the ground. the pressure got there way too quick

sudfeld is next on the blame list, as he could have broken up the pass. He's got like a foot of height on the DB

geno is third. maybe he could have thrown it sooner. Honestly I don't think this one was on Geno. 

Agree, Agree and agree.

Geno is not on the hook for this loss. The bad O-line play (winters was trrible) and the tentative coaching lost us the game. We cannot play not to lose...you saw the glimmer of hope in that first half, our inability to score later on did us in. Rodgers at home...we need to keep scoring.

LL

Geno had 10+ other passes that were way off the mark.  If he had thrown that one more toward the sideline it would have been a touchdown.  Your assumption that he would have thrown and accurate pass had he not been hit is 50% at best possible when he cant even throw a screen correctly.

Geno was something like 10/12 for 100 yards and a TD when he threw that pick.

I completely agree. We are trending upward. This team is way better on O this year than last year. We just need to be consistent and we need the coaching staff to not be so damn tentative. When they unschackled Geno you could see him light it up. It was only after they built the lead that they went into a shell. They cannot coach scared.

LL

I disagree they went into a shell.  They were still trying to get the ball downfield.  Geno just got cold. He was way off the mark on at least 10 passes in the 2nd half.  

Consistency.  Its what this team and most young teams lack for that matter.  If they get 4 quarters of consistent Football and capitalize on opportunities, the Jet can beat any team in the league.  I truly believe that. 

While I agree with the premise of this thread that the Int was the turning point, but this was a total team collapse.  Offense, defense, special teams, and coaching.  All 4 phases were bad and contributed to the loss.

Geno was 6-18 in the second half, they could not run the ball effectively and could not move the offense could not move the ball consistently over the last 40 minutes.

STs -- Quigley with a 35 yard punt in the 2nd quarter set up the 56 yard field goal--basically handed them 3 points and then Hakim stepping out at the 5 yard line to start Q3 - we desperately need to get points coming out of the half to re-establish momentum and we gave ourselves a 95 yard field.

Defense gave up points on 6 of 7 drives.  I get that Aaaron Rodgers may be the best QB in the NFL, but you are not going to win many games giving up points on 6 of 7 possessions. 

Coaching -- 12 men on the field, wasted timeouts, prevent defense to end the half, curious playcalling and can we just stop with the wildcat and the Vick package.

While I agree with the premise of this thread that the Int was the turning point, but this was a total team collapse.  Offense, defense, special teams, and coaching.  All 4 phases were bad and contributed to the loss.

Geno was 6-18 in the second half, they could not run the ball effectively and could not move the offense could not move the ball consistently over the last 40 minutes.

STs -- Quigley with a 35 yard punt in the 2nd quarter set up the 56 yard field goal--basically handed them 3 points and then Hakim stepping out at the 5 yard line to start Q3 - we desperately need to get points coming out of the half to re-establish momentum and we gave ourselves a 95 yard field.

Defense gave up points on 6 of 7 drives.  I get that Aaaron Rodgers may be the best QB in the NFL, but you are not going to win many games giving up points on 6 of 7 possessions. 

Coaching -- 12 men on the field, wasted timeouts, prevent defense to end the half, curious playcalling and can we just stop with the wildcat and the Vick package.

Yep.  That's about it

Not only did Winters suck, Breno sucked to.

I believe it was Sudfield wide open down the sideline. Jets driving to go up 28-9. Geno gets hit as he throws, releases a flutter ball and instead of 1st and goal or a TD, it' Packers ball w/all the momentum against a tired defense. And the crowd is back into it. Said it at the time it happened, but that was the shot they never recovered from.

The prevent defense before the half that made it a 21-16 game was the back breaker followed by a 3 and out after half time

I believe it was Sudfield wide open down the sideline. Jets driving to go up 28-9. Geno gets hit as he throws, releases a flutter ball and instead of 1st and goal or a TD, it' Packers ball w/all the momentum against a tired defense. And the crowd is back into it. Said it at the time it happened, but that was the shot they never recovered from.

Why in Gods name would you even RISK letting  GB back in game at that point near halftime and shift momentum.

I would have run or thrown dumpoffs that could be picked and went into locker room up 21-9 or 24-9.

We got greedy on road and it bit us.

Sudfield had no chance to break that play up.  It wasn't a jump ball the ball came down way inside.  His momentum was toward the endzone,  had to stop turn toward the ball, and the defender was in great position.  Not on him at all

Why in Gods name would you even RISK letting  GB back in game at that point near halftime and shift momentum.

I would have run or thrown dumpoffs that could be picked and went into locker room up 21-9 or 24-9.

We got greedy on road and it bit us.

Could not agree with this post more.  It is all about playing situational football.  You are up two scores, with the ball, and getting the ball first in Q3.  You cannot risk giving the ball back to Rodgers before the half.  Run the ball on 1st down, take time off the clock.  Plenty of time to still take a shot at the end zone when the clock is under a minute, but make sure that you are no worse than 24-9 at the half and getting the ball first.  We had a chance to really take control of the game heading into the half and starting the 3rd quarter, but we let them off the ropes.

General feeling in my part of the stands, even from the GB crowd, seemed to be that the Jets were getting jobbed the entire game. Not one holding call all game is a bit strange.

Big time. No holding calls, the no-call on the Geno hit, the 12 men penalty on the Harris pick (which was called about as tightly as possible), allowing the 4th-down TD play to run without a whistle and then calling it back. Honestly one of the worst officiating performances I've seen in a long time.

It should also be noted that Geno got hit at the knees on that play, which is a penalty 99% of the time.

Great point/  DIdn't think about it at the time, but the hit was around the knees which should have drawn a penalty -- unless the defender was blocked into him.

Archived