2015 Coaching Candidates

Gen X Jet

The real reason why you want Idzik to stay.

Ha. Not exactly. I just think firing Idzik this year officially cements the Woody Johnson Jets as a toxic, dysfunctional pisshole. It's in the best interests of the organization to give him every chance to turn it around.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norv Turner is available

I would take Norv if Rex is the D-coordinator.....or is an assistant head-coach position allowing Rex to still be on the d side of the ball. In reality, we would not be in this position (defense) if Revis and Cro were still here. But without a legit QB we are going no place fast.....I would be ok with Norv

I would take Norv if Rex is the D-coordinator.....or is an assistant head-coach position allowing Rex to still be on the d side of the ball. In reality, we would not be in this position (defense) if Revis and Cro were still here. But without a legit QB we are going no place fast.....I would be ok with Norv

No more half measures where a guy is demoted. Woody needs to put on his big boy pants and deliver some pink slips

No more half measures where a guy is demoted. Woody needs to put on his big boy pants and deliver some pink slips

ok but Rex is salvageable...in limited capacity, your willing to completely let go....you know as well as I, with revis/cro this d is really really good

ok but Rex is salvageable...in limited capacity, your willing to completely let go....you know as well as I, with revis/cro this d is really really good

The dysfunction has to end. Shame but can you see a harbaugh or gruden type wanting uncle rex still hanging around to undermine his authority as, despite rex's short comings, a well liked former HC? Keeping rex will only serve to limit our candidate pool even more than idzik's presence already does.

www.firejohnidzik.com

I just sent those guys a message RS, asking them if they have tried reaching out to any of the famous Jets fans, The Sandlers, Mohrs, Kevin James' of the Jets universe to see if they might be interested in tossing a check towards it. the more press these guys get the more inclined I am to send them some cake. It's a new thing that has been happening and actually WORKING, people putting out an idea and then asking people to invest in it. My wife is involved with this father and daughter team who came up with a cool new idea for capos that will be beautiful and groundbreaking in terms of how they can be slid up and down the neck without losing pitch and having to squeeze. She's part Scottish too so to see her put $$$ towards something like that is unprecedented. I like the idea those brothers have as well as the Jets Fan In Hiding Paper Bag I've seen-Who knows Woody might actually be embarrassed enough to act this time.-Now if only the Giants would go on a tear that will really piss him off. 

The dysfunction has to end. Shame but can you see a harbaugh or gruden type wanting uncle rex still hanging around to undermine his authority as, despite rex's short comings, a well liked former HC? Keeping rex will only serve to limit our candidate pool even more than idzik's presence already does.

and also John, since the rich kid got his new toy all he has had for head coaches have been Al Groh, Hermie, Mangini and Rex-all defensive dudes-how about a Gruden or Harbaugh TRY something different this time...I will spare the definition of insanity reference from the board THIS TIME!!!

Harbaugh's obviously the crown jewel.

Yesterday, someone mentioned Gus Malzahn as a possibility, which is intriguing if we can't land Harbaugh. He developed Cam Newton during Auburn's NC run, so if we go QB in round 1 I'd have some degree of confidence in having Malzahn develop him.

Malzahn is kind of a goody -two shoes---  probably would not like New York/ NJ  or fit in with our " in your face " attitudes.  We need a sarcastic SOB, maybe Harbaugh and Jon Gruden could work out a deal with Woody.    The Tabloids would have a field day.

Schaub... Matt Shaub? He's an upgrade, sadly, over our current situation but no thanks. I'm sure Kubiak doesn't want him either.

Schaub stinks.  He had chances and messed every one up.  Like Geno.    We have to draft somebody.  Its time for us to get lucky like the Steelers did with Big Ben.

"....The 1-7 Jets are destined for a Top 5 pick in the 2015 draft that could alter the course of the franchise for the next decade. The fear, of course, is that general manager John Idzik, a neophyte in personnel evaluation, will screw it up if he somehow survives the wreckage.

The free-agent options are limited.

Brian Hoyer has done an admirable job keeping the Browns competitive through eight weeks, but he wouldn’t instill hope for Woody Johnson’s star-crossed franchise. Hoyer is an ideal bridge quarterback for a rookie, but he’ll be looking for a clear-cut starting job in 2015.

Mark Sanchez, yes that Mark Sanchez, has rid himself of the bad vibes trailing him a year ago without taking a snap for the Eagles in the first seven games. Sanchez’s eye-opening preseason has him positioned to compete for a starting gig somewhere next year when he hits free agency. Chances of a Jets reunion conservatively hover around 0.02%.

Impending free agents Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Colt McCoy, Ryan Mallett, Matt Moore and greybeard Carson Palmer don’t exactly move the needle, so the Jets’ smartest choice will be to address the quarterback issue in the upcoming draft. "

I agree. Keeping people way past their due dates is a big reason why we're in this mess.

Rex needs to go. If they decide Idzik should stay and pick his own coach, that's fine. But don't force the new coach to keep an assistant that he doesn't want.

• 1 month later...

You don't need to be Korn Ferry to identify next year's crop.  Here's who we got on the docket.  What do we think?:

Darrell Bevell (Seattle O is underwhelming this year.  I think he was on Mangini's staff)

Adam Gase (Broncos O Coord.  This guy needs to prove it without Peyton as far as I am concerned)

Jim Harbaugh

Frank Reich (Chargers O Coord.  Ex-Jet)

Greg Roman (Niners O Coord.  SF offensive should be doing more with all that talent)

Todd Haley (Steelers put up 51 yesterday.  Ex-Jet Coach/Parcells guy.  Utter failure in KC)

College guys-

Kevin Sumlin?

David Shaw

Anyone else?

Head Coach Watch:  Bill Lazor Rising Fast

One constant about the NFL is that a handful of team will want a new head coach every year.  So which names are garnering more and more attention?

Miami Dolphins the next step for Lazor

Having spent time at both the pro and college levels as a quarterback coach and offensive coordinator, experience is no longer a problem for Bill Lazor.  At age 42 he is seasoned and comfortable in his own skin as a coach.  As a result his impact on his players has begun to really tell.  Last year he was quarterbacks coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, a season in which primary starter Nick Foles threw 27 touchdowns to just two interceptions.

This Lazor parlayed into a promotion as offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins.  Thus far his impact is hard to miss...

Which NFL assistant coaches have done the best in 2014?

■ Dolphins offensive coordinator Bill Lazor — Lazor, 42, had never been a coordinator before the Dolphins hired him to replace Mike Sherman and fix their ailing offense last season. The Dolphins are only 6-5, but the offense, and third-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill in particular, have shown a lot of improvement under Lazor, who worked with the Eagles last year.

The Dolphins are ninth in the NFL in scoring (25.9 ppg) after finishing 26th and 27th the last two seasons. Their run game, which uses many of the same principles Chip Kelly uses in Philadelphia, has improved from 26th to 10th in yards per game (124.5) and is averaging a healthy 4.7 yards per carry, fifth best in the NFL.

And Tannehill has shown marked improvement. He carries an impressive 20:8 touchdown-to-interception ratio into Monday night’s game with the Jets, he’s on pace to take 21 fewer sacks than a year ago, and Tannehill’s completion percentage has jumped almost 6 full points, from 60.4 last year to 66.1 this year. Tannehill has completed 70 percent of his passes in four straight games, a feat no other Dolphins quarterback has accomplished — not even Dan Marino or Bob Griese.

Jets are getting a bum, first time pro HC or a retread as long as idzik is here. No named or hot prospect with other options is coming here to deal with Slow John.

I will take the first timer because at least he might be ok

You don't need to be Korn Ferry to identify next year's crop.  Here's who we got on the docket.  What do we think?:

Darrell Bevell (Seattle O is underwhelming this year.  I think he was on Mangini's staff)

Adam Gase (Broncos O Coord.  This guy needs to prove it without Peyton as far as I am concerned)

Jim Harbaugh

Frank Reich (Chargers O Coord.  Ex-Jet)

Greg Roman (Niners O Coord.  SF offensive should be doing more with all that talent)

Todd Haley (Steelers put up 51 yesterday.  Ex-Jet Coach/Parcells guy.  Utter failure in KC)

College guys-

Kevin Sumlin?

David Shaw

Anyone else?

EDIT 12-2-14:

Other names mentioned in the thread/buzzed about:

Todd Bowles (Cards D Coordinator/Rooney Rule Compliant)

Gary Kubiak (Ravens O Coordinator/Former Texans HC)

Art Briles (Baylor)

Bill Lazor (Dolphins O Coordinator/Former Philly QB Coach under Chip)

Norv Turner (Storied Offensive Guy/Current Minny O Coordinator)

Kyle Shanahan (Current Browns O Coordinator)

Gus Malzahn (Auburn)

Scott Linehan (Current Cowboys "Passing Coordinator"/Former Rams Coach)

Doug Marone (If Bills miss the playoffs, it's speculated new ownership makes a move)

Mike Westoff (not bandied about but my dark horse)

Brian Schottenheimer (Rams hung 51 last week... just kidding)

Darrell Bevell - ok, not great but ok

Adam Gase - pass

Jim Harbaugh - my wet dream

Frank Reich - maybe

Greg Roman - pass

Todd Haley - - I'd rather break two beer bottles and jam them in my eyes than watch this clown coach the jets.

College guys-

No one in college who really intrigues who I think we have a realistic shot at getting.

Anyone else?

EDIT 12-2-14:

Other names mentioned in the thread/buzzed about:

Todd Bowles (Cards D Coordinator/Rooney Rule Compliant) - maybe

Gary Kubiak (Ravens O Coordinator/Former Texans HC) - no

Bill Lazor (Dolphins O Coordinator/Former Philly QB Coach under Chip) - no

Norv Turner (Storied Offensive Guy/Current Minny O Coordinator) - no

Kyle Shanahan (Current Browns O Coordinator) - would rather have his father

Gus Malzahn (Auburn) - not coming here

Scott Linehan - no

Doug Marone - no

Mike Westoff -not happening

Brian Schottenheimer - see Todd Haley

I'd rather we just throw a ton of money at Holmgren or Parcells to be our new GM and let them pick some young guy they know to be the new HC.

I'd rather we just throw a ton of money at Holmgren or Parcells to be our new GM and let them pick some young guy they know to be the new HC.

Parcells already quit on Woody once, and both of those guys were pretty crappy GMs. Good coaches, but crappy GMs.

Pat Shurmur has alot going for him on paper, I think. Right age, tons of experience, already been a HC (for a loser franchise at that), right side of the ball, and currently the Eagles' OC under Kelly. Surprised he hasn't been named since he's clearly qualified for some HC gig somewhere.

No one mentions Kubiak.

Gotta love what he does for running games. He's responsible for Schaub sucking?

Hire Kubiak, draft Gurley and you got yourself a badass running game. Even without Gurley, hell dramatically improve our offense, IMO.

He's got HC experience, too.

I don't know why he's never mentioned?

cuz he might like die and stuff

• 3 weeks later...

My updated hopeful 2015 Jet coaching candidates (I am of the opinion that we do not go the route of 1st time HC):

1) Norv Turner: 35 points against a good Dolphins D today.  Proven winner (except for postseason)

2) Doug Marrone I really hope the Bills new owner wants to bring in his own crew.  This guy seems like a long term keeper.

3) Pat Shumur- No one can win with Suckchez.

If the Jets do decide to go the first time HC route:

Ben McAdoo- Giants O clicking on all cylinders.  Snatch this guy while the Giants make the mistake of keeping Coughlin.

Archived