Rex's personality fooled Woody into thinking he was HC material

ebonix

..yardbarker.com       by Joe Caparoso

"Let’s be clear, Geno Smith stinks at football right now because he stinks at football, not because of quotes but no players have developed here for a long time, outside of defensive lineman. The resume of players developed at other positions is basically an average inside linebacker (Demaio Davis), a backup running back (Bilal Powell) and the team’s slot receiver (Jeremy Kerley). This is part of the problem.

People are exhausted of the Rex onslaught but this is an organizational problem that needs to change, and Rex has been the dominant figure in the organization the past six years. I still see many Jets fans, including some sensible ones, who are willing to bring Rex back with a 3rd GM, 4th OC, 3rd QB and 3rd DC. That is insanity. You want to fire Idzik to clean house and start over? I hear your argument. Fair. Keeping Rex? People need to take off the sentimental goggles.

The power of personality is astounding and very real. If Rex’s body of work was exactly the same and he had Mike Smith’s personality, would you want him back? I’d guess 0.0 percent of Jets fans would say yes. Eric Mangini left town to nearly unanimous cheers from fans despite going 9-7 and having the same amount of winning seasons in three years that Rex had in six. Rex is about to go 3-13 and some are still pleading for his return. The power of personality."

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Let’s be clear, Geno Smith stinks at football right now because he stinks at football, not because of quotes but no players have developed here for a long time, outside of defensive lineman. The resume of players developed at other positions is basically an average inside linebacker (Demaio Davis), a backup running back (Bilal Powell) and the team’s slot receiver (Jeremy Kerley). This is part of the problem.

People are exhausted of the Rex onslaught but this is an organizational problem that needs to change, and Rex has been the dominant figure in the organization the past six years. I still see many Jets fans, including some sensible ones, who are willing to bring Rex back with a 3rd GM, 4th OC, 3rd QB and 3rd DC. That is insanity. You want to fire Idzik to clean house and start over? I hear your argument. Fair. Keeping Rex? People need to take off the sentimental goggles.

The power of personality is astounding and very real. If Rex’s body of work was exactly the same and he had Mike Smith’s personality, would you want him back? I’d guess 0.0 percent of Jets fans would say yes. Eric Mangini left town to nearly unanimous cheers from fans despite going 9-7 and having the same amount of winning seasons in three years that Rex had in six. Rex is about to go 3-13 and some are still pleading for his return. The power of personality."

Mangini never even won a Playoff game and he had Chad and Farve.. And don't say Farve was hurt in that case he should have replaced him with his draft pick Kellen Clemens who he failed to develop.. :animal0029:

Who is pleading for his return? I honestly haven't seen any of that, I believe even Jif thinks he's gotta go

It's just everyone jerking each other off as to whether or not Idzik is culpable as well or it's 100% Rex's fault, which is the half-witted ShaneBrain position.

Who is pleading for his return? I honestly haven't seen any of that, I believe even Jif thinks he's gotta go

It's just everyone jerking each other off as to whether or not Idzik is culpable as well or it's 100% Rex's fault, which is the half-witted ShaneBrain position.

Have you ever seen this article from 2012 during Super Bowl week in New Orleans???

NEW ORLEANS -- One of the coaches in Super Bowl XLVII was once a candidate for the Jets' head coaching job.

That would be the 49ers' Jim Harbaugh, who made the jump to the NFL head coaching ranks in 2011. Back in 2009, when the Jets were searching for a head coach and Harbaugh had just completed his second season at Stanford, the club secretly interviewed Harbaugh during a West Coast trip that also included a meeting with Russ Grimm in Arizona.

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum's impression of Harbaugh in that interview: "Dynamic. Smart. Could light up a room."

The Jets, though, hired Rex Ryan that year, who led the team to AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons but has missed the playoffs the past two years.

Harbaugh has been quickly successful in his first two seasons in the NFL, taking the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game last year and the Super Bowl this year.

When the Jets interviewed Harbaugh, he had a 9-15 record in two seasons at Stanford after three seasons as head coach at the University of San Diego. He had a 15-year NFL playing career as a quarterback but his only coaching experience at the professional level was two years as an offensive assistant for the Raiders. The perception was he may have been still relatively green to come to the NFL.

"It was one of those things where I think everyone kinda felt like – we felt good about Rex, I think he felt good about where he was," Tannenbaum said this week during a round of interviews. "I can’t speak for Jim. That wouldn't be fair to me to say. It was just one of those things where both parties just went their respective ways."

for Christ sakes, please stop with this sh*t!!! the dude is getting fired. end of story. nobody is pleading for his return. nobody. this is a 5 minute right up so the author could run out and finish his xmas shopping. hack

Mangini never even won a Playoff game and he had Chad and Farve.. And don't say Farve was hurt in that case he should have replaced him with his draft pick Kellen Clemens who he failed to develop.. :animal0029:

In all fairness to put things in perspective Eric Mangini took over the Herm Edwards Jets. Do you think Rex would have won his first two years with the Herm Edwards Jets?

for Christ sakes, please stop with this sh*t!!! the dude is getting fired. end of story. nobody is pleading for his return. nobody. this is a 5 minute right up so the author could run out and finish his xmas shopping. hack

Lots of people are pleading for his return.  Pretty well all the media will be.  The rex lovers on this site are a bit gutless if you ask me.  They are supporting him on all things, blaming everyting on idzik and yet refuse to come out and say he should be back for sure.  They say dumb things like 'Rex is a great coach who was dealt a terrible hand but it is time for him to go.'  Ass coverers for the most part.  Don't want to be wrong about it either way,

In all fairness to put things in perspective Eric Mangini took over the Herm Edwards Jets. Do you think Rex would have won his first two years with the Herm Edwards Jets?

Yes I do Hermie had Vinny and Chad,Coles,Wayne Abe,Ellis,Mo,Jordan,Martin,Mawae etc plus Rex would have used a RB Tandem Martin wouldn't be getting 360+ carries.. Go check that 2001 roster again and think it over.. Rex started his HC career without a QB maybe you don't think that was important??

Lots of people are pleading for his return.  Pretty well all the media will be.  The rex lovers on this site are a bit gutless if you ask me.  They are supporting him on all things, blaming everyting on idzik and yet refuse to come out and say he should be back for sure.  They say dumb things like 'Rex is a great coach who was dealt a terrible hand but it is time for him to go.'  Ass coverers for the most part.  Don't want to be wrong about it either way,

I like Rex but I'm up for a change however even with his flaws he took the team farther then most. The only other HC that did as well with a crap QB was Walt Michaels.. And he also had only 2 winning seasons in 6 years because of a crap QB..

I agree with this. I really like Rex but he isn't a head coach. Time and time again he's proven this. One of his latest examples that stood out to me is when Vick said that he wasnt ready to play against the Chargers when most of the football world knew that if Geno struggled in the first have that Vick would be playing in the 2nd half. Rex response to such irresponsibility was "It was man of him to admit that". A legit head coach would have #1. known that his player(s) wasnt prepared because he would have been part of the preparation and #2 a guy who didnt get prepared would have been dealt with. Rex Ryan put a guy on the field that not only admitted he wasnt ready, which is an indictment on every offensive coach/coordinator, but Rex didnt even know that he wasnt ready simply by putting him in the game which shows that he's not on top of what he needs to be on top of as a head coach in the first place. 

Rex Ryan has a unique skill, he can design a defense, but he isn't a leader of men, which is what a head coach needs to be. And its absolutely okay for him not to be a leader of men in regards to being a head coach, someone has to be the defensive coordinator. Rex needs a more low key, specific role and thats where he succeeds the most. I think thats what the GM in Baltimore sensed and thats why he didnt give Rex the HC position back when they were looking for a coach. He knew Rex and that personality that you speak of and he knew that being a leader of men meant that you can't be friends with all of them. 

I like Rex but I'm up for a change however even with his flaws he took the team farther then most. The only other HC that did as well with a crap QB was Walt Michaels.. And he also had only 2 winning seasons in 6 years because of a crap QB..

We have zero idea what Rex would do with a decent qb. Maybe he would do better. Maybe not. We don't have crystal balls.

what? Rex should be fired, Rex should be fired. I wanted Rex fired 2 years ago when he kept starting/supporting Sanchez in what I can only imagine was an attempt to get Sanchez to schtupp his wife

I am simply of the opinion that Idzik has demonstrated himself to be worse at his job then rex is at his. 1 guy has proven to be am very good DC and had some good success as HC here for a few years, the other has basically proven himself good at nothing. 

We have zero idea what Rex would do with a decent qb. Maybe he would do better. Maybe not. We don't have crystal balls.

I agree with CTM's dog look at BB before Brady and he did have some decent QB's.. Look at the crying man Dick Vermeil 5-11,4-12 then Kurt Warner gets a shot and Boom Bowl winner..

Why didn't Rex just go get one of those fancy new QBs in six years?

He had accountants as GM's, one of whom didn't listen to Bradway when he said to draft Wilson..

Rex has a ton of flaws, but pretending that he wasn't hampered by the QB's we drafted is silly. You yourself were calling Chip Kelly a king maker 3 months ago, he got check mated with Sanchez under center.

He had accountants as GM's, one of whom didn't listen to Bradway when he said to draft Wilson..

Rex has a ton of flaws, but pretending that he wasn't hampered by the QB's we drafted is silly. You yourself were calling Chip Kelly a king maker 3 months ago, he got check mated with Sanchez under center.

Does Chip Kelly have a Sanchez jersey tattooed to his bulbous calf?

I agree with this. I really like Rex but he isn't a head coach. Time and time again he's proven this. One of his latest examples that stood out to me is when Vick said that he wasnt ready to play against the Chargers when most of the football world knew that if Geno struggled in the first have that Vick would be playing in the 2nd half. Rex response to such irresponsibility was "It was man of him to admit that". A legit head coach would have #1. known that his player(s) wasnt prepared because he would have been part of the preparation and #2 a guy who didnt get prepared would have been dealt with. Rex Ryan put a guy on the field that not only admitted he wasnt ready, which is an indictment on every offensive coach/coordinator, but Rex didnt even know that he wasnt ready simply by putting him in the game which shows that he's not on top of what he needs to be on top of as a head coach in the first place. 

Rex Ryan has a unique skill, he can design a defense, but he isn't a leader of men, which is what a head coach needs to be. And its absolutely okay for him not to be a leader of men in regards to being a head coach, someone has to be the defensive coordinator. Rex needs a more low key, specific role and thats where he succeeds the most. I think thats what the GM in Baltimore sensed and thats why he didnt give Rex the HC position back when they were looking for a coach. He knew Rex and that personality that you speak of and he knew that being a leader of men meant that you can't be friends with all of them. 

Wrong.  Rex is third all time in road playoff wins.  Do you know how difficult it is to win road playoff games?  Good head coaches have a hard enough time winning on the road in the playoffs.

Oh, and the consensus around the league is that Rex is a good head coach.  He will get another head coaching job.

Does Chip Kelly have a Sanchez jersey tattooed to his bulbous calf?

Obv Rex wanted Sanchez to do his wife and that clouded his judgement, he shoulda been fired mid season 2 years ago for it.

But it doesn't change the fact that Sanchez and Geno were always going to suck

Lots of people are pleading for his return. Pretty well all the media will be. The rex lovers on this site are a bit gutless if you ask me. They are supporting him on all things, blaming everyting on idzik and yet refuse to come out and say he should be back for sure. They say dumb things like 'Rex is a great coach who was dealt a terrible hand but it is time for him to go.' Ass coverers for the most part. Don't want to be wrong about it either way,

The hell you talking about? Where were u after the 2009 season or the 2010 season? How about after the 2013 season? How many other coaches have been as successful as Rex in this entire league with a Below average QB? Clueless as you are, I'm sure u were on board after wk 1 n then quickly chickened out. Speak for yourself instead of calling others gutless n ass coverer. I'll say it openly if that makes ur Christmas any better. I want Rex to be back.

Now go back n crawl under that rock u came out of until the next HC fails so u can call out people.

Wrong.  Rex is third all time in road playoff wins.  Do you know how difficult it is to win road playoff games?  Good head coaches have a hard enough time winning on the road in the playoffs.

Oh, and the consensus around the league is that Rex is a good head coach.  He will get another head coaching job.

I certainly do know how difficult it is. Its as difficult as making the playoffs to begin with, which Rex hasn't made the playoffs in a half decade. I can care less what the consensus is because I value my opinion over theirs at the end of the day. Rex Ryan is a GREAT defensive coach. He's a good coach with all the pieces around, but its also hard to find a coach who isn't good with all the pieces around. This team decayed with him at the head, and those Playoff wins that he had wasnt with players that he brought in outside of Bart Scott. 

Have you ever seen this article from 2012 during Super Bowl week in New Orleans???

NEW ORLEANS -- One of the coaches in Super Bowl XLVII was once a candidate for the Jets' head coaching job.

That would be the 49ers' Jim Harbaugh, who made the jump to the NFL head coaching ranks in 2011. Back in 2009, when the Jets were searching for a head coach and Harbaugh had just completed his second season at Stanford, the club secretly interviewed Harbaugh during a West Coast trip that also included a meeting with Russ Grimm in Arizona.

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum's impression of Harbaugh in that interview: "Dynamic. Smart. Could light up a room."

The Jets, though, hired Rex Ryan that year, who led the team to AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons but has missed the playoffs the past two years.

Harbaugh has been quickly successful in his first two seasons in the NFL, taking the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game last year and the Super Bowl this year.

When the Jets interviewed Harbaugh, he had a 9-15 record in two seasons at Stanford after three seasons as head coach at the University of San Diego. He had a 15-year NFL playing career as a quarterback but his only coaching experience at the professional level was two years as an offensive assistant for the Raiders. The perception was he may have been still relatively green to come to the NFL.

"It was one of those things where I think everyone kinda felt like – we felt good about Rex, I think he felt good about where he was," Tannenbaum said this week during a round of interviews. "I can’t speak for Jim. That wouldn't be fair to me to say. It was just one of those things where both parties just went their respective ways."

Please check Harbaugh's coaching record in the 2008 season and get back to us.

Please check Harbaugh's coaching record in the 2008 season and get back to us.

Archived