Sheldon is an idiot; facing charges of resisting arrest, drag racing

Morrissey

http://fox2now.com/2015/07/30/local-nfl-star-busted-for-street-racing-on-i-64/

ST. CHARLES COUNTY, MO (KTVI) – A former standout on the Mizzou football team and NFL first-round draft pick is facing charges of resisting arrest and other traffic violations for allegedly street racing on Interstate 64.

Less than two weeks after being suspended by the NFL after testing positive for marijuana, New York Jets defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson was arrested in St. Charles County on July 14.

The St. Charles County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office said officers with the O’Fallon Police Department noticed two vehicles in what appeared to be a road race on westbound I-64. The vehicles were clocked on radar three times at speeds of 122, 135, and 143 miles per hour.

Police attempted to conduct a traffic stop, at which time the driver of a 2014 Bentley Silver Spur increased continued speeding to avoid citation. The driver got off the interstate, sped through a red traffic signal, and turned off its vehicle lights.

The driver then turned into the driveway of a home in a nearby neighborhood to avoid detection, but police noticed the brake lights and pulled in behind the car.

Officers identified Richardson, an O’Fallon native, as the driver. Two other men and a 12-year-old child were also in the car.

A fully loaded handgun was found beneath the driver’s seat. Everyone in the car also smelled of marijuana.

The passengers were not charged with any crimes.

Richardson, the 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year, was selected sixth overall by the Jets in the NFL Draft. He will have to appear in St. Charles County Circuit Court in late October for his arraignment.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets' Sheldon Richardson says he's 'not a dope fiend'

July 30, 2015 5:49 PM

By LAURA ALBANESE  laura.albanese@newsday.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Sheldon Richardson can say no to drugs, and he fully plans to.

"I'm not a dope fiend," the Jets defensive end said Thursday about his four-game suspension for marijuana use. "I can say no. I just chose not to. I was in a depressing time in my offseason and that's just it. It's just that simple. There's money on the line and my money is worth more than some weed."

The NFL announced Richardson's suspension earlier this month. At the first day of training camp practice on Thursday, Richardson worked with the second team, while the first team spot was given to rookie Leonard Williams. He said he never considered appealing the decision.

"There was no reason to appeal it," Richardson said. "I take full accountability for my actions. ... I apologized to my teammates and my organization and I told them they don't have to worry about my name being in the news again."

He said he especially regretted how his decisions affected his family.

Richardson said he was "a little disappointed and embarrassed, for my parents' sake. When an NFL player messes up, the whole world knows about it. The family goes through a lot. People at work don't know how to talk to them anymore. Little things like that that get to them."

Even if the NFL doesn't suspend him, the Jets should add at least another 4 games so he's out for 8 total. Let him sit out half the season and dont even think about the dumbass until Nov. If he messes up one more time, kick him to the curb.

Sucks. Guy was quickly becoming a favorite.

Wow. He just can't stop getting in trouble, can he?

Smoking pot is one thing and, if I stretch my morals enough, I can except drag racing. But trying to run/hide from the cops with a loaded handgun under the seat, and a MINOR in the car, AND to top it off, doing all of that while smelling of the thing that he JUST got suspended for using!

Wow. My opinion of him is finally changed. The guy is a putz.

I just heard this guy on an espn radio interview earlier today and I'm thinking, 'OMG, this guy is a problem. He's angry. He's not even close to professional in his demeanor. I really wouldn't have a problem with him getting traded."

....then this news.

He's gotta go.

Wow moron! - Williams what a great pick, this guy is a major idiot.

It was an incredible pick--even more so in hindsight. Best thing about it is Williams, apparently, is supposed to be of high character and hopefully won't do dumb sh*t like this.

WTF?  

That's horrible, I guess we have more suspensions of him coming.  Man, he went from a really bright spot on the team to a legal black hole real quick.  Not only is Wilkerson about to get paid, I think Coples agents are probably salivating soon as well.   It's not just the marijuana thing, but why would this idiot actually run from the police?  He can afford to pay the ticket, and reckless driving arrest is pretty much nothing, so why the heck would he turn into evading police and run? 

Pay Mo!!!

I agree. Mo has never done anything this stupid (his on the field antics in that one game aside). It seems that in today's NFL, it may be worth to overpay someone if they're good, AND have a good head on their shoulders.

I just can't believe this ... How much of an idiot can one person be...he has screwed us in so many ways...he's gonna be gone for the year...he can't be traded anymore...holy crap, he's screwed us.....

I would be happy if he was cut immediately even if it's not the best decision as an organization.

Holy holy holy crap

WTF?  

That's horrible, I guess we have more suspensions of him coming.  Man, he went from a really bright spot on the team to a legal black hole real quick.  Not only is Wilkerson about to get paid, I think Coples agents are probably salivating soon as well.   It's not just the marijuana thing, but why would this idiot actually run from the police?  He can afford to pay the ticket, and reckless driving arrest is pretty much nothing, so why the heck would he turn into evading police and run?

You run when you have a gun and when the car smells like marijuana.

I agree. Mo has never done anything this stupid (his on the field antics in that one game aside). It seems that in today's NFL, it may be worth to overpay someone if they're good, AND have a good head on their shoulders.

Hmmm... maybe someone like David Harris

Archived