Too Late for Jets About-Face on Fitz?

JetNation

Ryan Fitzpatrick

By Glenn Naughton

Mike Maccagan, Todd Bowles, Chan Gailey and the New York Jets can say they’d be happy to go in to this season with the QB’s currently on their roster until they’re blue in the face, but the very fact that they’re still negotiating with a physically limited journeyman in Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom they have already anointed their starter upon return, tells us otherwise.

As the world’s most boring game of “chicken” presses onward, you have to wonder, even with OTA’s in the rear view mirror, might the Jets entertain the possibility of going out to acquire another veteran quarterback for much less than what it’s going to cost to re-sign Fitzpatrick and allow that new signal caller an opportunity to beat out Geno Smith who was voted the NFL’s worst starting quarterback in both 2014 and 2015?

Trades at this point of the off-season are quite uncommon, but the Jets find themselves in a rather uncommon situation as the only NFL franchise without its publicly acknowledged preferred starting quarterback under contract.

Over the past several seasons, Fitzpatrick has been solid, throwing 133 touchdowns to 89 interceptions in his 82 starts since 2010.  Hardly Hall of Fame worthy, yet still much better than what fans have grown accustomed to over much of the past decade.  Even still, the Harvard grad is playing with fire as there are a handful of back-ups with enough NFL playing time to make them worth consideration given their age, experience, production and of course…salary.

Here are a few options for the Jets to explore should they decide to thank Fitzpatrick for his franchise-best 31 touchdown passes, before looking elsewhere for a veteran QB.

Josh McCown- Cleveland Browns – The Browns have yet to name their starting quarterback, but you would have to believe it’s going to be 26 year-old Robert Griffin III over the 36 year-old McCown as Cleveland takes a shot at yet another re-build.  Fitzpatrick is seeking significantly more cash than McCown who carries a cap charge of just over $5 million for each of the next two seasons according to overthecap.com.

Like Fitzpatrick, McCown is a career journeyman (the Jets would be his 9th team entering his 14th season), but unlike Fitzpatrick, he has enough arm strength to throw the deep ball, and over the course of the past three seasons, his production has not only been solid, but downright dominant at times.

McCown struggled while battling injuries and playing with a banged up supporting cast in Tampa Bay 2 seasons ago, leading to an 11 touchdown, 14 interception season while completing just 56.3% of his attempts, but his performance in the season before and after were remarkable.

In 13 combined starts between the Bears and Browns in 2013 and 2015 respectively, McCown threw 25 touchdowns and just 5 interceptions to go along with a 65% completion percentage.  His production in Cleveland was especially impressive given the lack of talent and poor coaching staff.

I spoke to one Browns insider about the culture under former head coach Mike Pettine who said point blank “Pettine was in over his head.  A high school coach who hired all of his buddies”.  Ouch.

In all, between the Bears, Bucs and Browns, McCown has started 24 games, throwing 36 touchdowns to just 19 interceptions while completing 61.5% of his passes over the past three seasons.

As a veteran arm to compete with Geno Smith, you could do a lot worse.

Nick Foles- Los Angeles Rams – After just one season under head coach Jeff Fisher, Foles and the Rams are headed toward a very

Quincy Enunwa is one receiver who could benefit a great deal from a strong-armed quarterback.

Quincy Enunwa is one receiver who could benefit a great deal from a strong-armed quarterback.

public divorce.  Having lost is starting job to Case Keenum last season and being bumped further down the depth chart after the Rams drafted quarterback Jared Goff with the first pick in the draft, Foles is clearly the odd man out.

The quarterback has yet to take part in any of the team’s off-season program and having already collected a $6 million roster bonus, he’s due just $1.7 million this season, even less than McCown.

Foles is a hard player to get a read on as he had tremendous success just a few years ago when Chip Kelly’s up-tempo offense took the league by storm and Foles threw 27 touchdowns to just 2 interceptions.  Minus that one incredible season, Foles has thrown a pedestrian 26 touchdowns to go along with 25 interceptions.

Given offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s penchant for getting the most of his quarterbacks, a very talented receiving duo in Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker as well as Foles’ ability to throw the deep ball with speedsters Devin Smith, Quincy Enunwa and possibly Charone Peake on the roster, the move could make sense as the asking price for Foles will likely be a day-3 draft choice.

Austin Davis- Cleveland Browns – Davis isn’t the easiest quarterback to evaluate based on the fact that his most recent stint came with the Browns after logging just 8 starts in 2014 with the Rams.

While he doesn’t possess the strongest of arms, Davis did show decent production with a mediocre supporting cast in St. Louis, throwing 12 touchdowns to 9 interceptions while completing 63.4% of his passes.

His most impressive performance came in a 28-26 Rams upset win over the Seahawks that saw Davis complete 17 of 20 attempts (85%) with two touchdowns and no interceptions with his top receivers that day being Benny Cunningham and Jared Cook.  Not too shabby.

The former Southern Miss QB posted a better than 2/1 TD to INT ratio in college with 83 TD’s and  27 interceptions while completing 61.1% of his passes.  Not just a one-dimensional player, Davis also ran for 1,375 yards and 25 touchdowns in four collegiate seasons.

If the Browns decide to retain both the aforementioned Griffin III and McCown, Davis could be cut loose and become another cheap option at the quarterback position who is more game-ready than Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg.

If nothing else, the Jets could always look to get Davis some reps at wide receiver.

Matt McGloin – Oakland Raiders – With one Penn State QB on the roster in Christian Hackenberg, should the Jets make a run at McGloin who is currently Derek Carr’s backup in Oakland?

The Raiders drafted Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook in the fourth round following an unforeseen free fall for a player who many felt would go in the top two rounds and reports out of Raiders OTA’s suggest Cook is getting equal reps with McGloin and has looked impressive thus far.

McGloin has only appeared in 10 pro games and his results have been underwhelming (11 TD’s 11 INT’s) but in fairness to McGloin, his most extensive playing time came in 2013 (6 starts) when his top targets were wide receivers Rod Streater and Denarius Moore.  That season, the pair combined for 1,583 yards on 106 receptions.  Since then, in two seasons, the two have managed  just 22 catches for 207 yards.

While Jets fans continue to laud Hackenbergs college production where threw for 20 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in his only full season under former Penn State Head Coach Bill O’ Brien, why not consider McGloin’s 24 touchdown/5 interception final season in that very same offense?

Shaun Hill – Minnesota Vikings – Without another viable back-up on their roster, the Vikes may not be in a big hurry to deal Hill unless they really like what they’ve seen out of third-year pro Taylor Heinicke and/or rookie Joel Stave.

Like Fitzpatrick and McCown, Hill is a veteran journeyman who has played on some bad teams that have combined for just 3 seasons of .500 football or better in his 10 pro seasons will Hill has hovered around .500 with a lifetime record of 16-18.

In his most recent extended action as a starter, Hill played alongside the aforementioned Austin Davis with the Rams in 2014, throwing 8 touchdowns and 7 interceptions on a team whose receiving corps consisted of Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Stedman Bailey and Jared Cook at tight end.  Fair to say Hill, or any QB for that matter, would see a bump in production with Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker to throw to while trying to improve on his 49/30 TD/INT ratio thus far as a pro.

Mike Glennon – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – The best quarterback of the bunch, Glennon is unlikely to be dealt by the Bucs this season as he gives them arguably the best back-up situation in the league.

In 18 career starts, Glennon has played on some of the league’s least talented rosters, but has still managed to nearly post a 2:1 TD-INT ratio at 29/15.

The fact that Glennon will likely land a starting job next season as a free agent, possibly netting the Bucs a 3rd round compensatory draft choice makes it even less likely they’ll be willing to part with him barring a first or second-round choice.

Based on how patient the Jets have been with Fitzpatrick up to this point it would be hard to imagine them jumping ship now, but at some point, the Jets will have to feel like enough is enough, and look to move on.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
V9yqIiFsTs0

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather see Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg than any of those bums.  Just like Fitzpatrick, they do absolutely nothing to advance the franchise.  Except maybe Glennon and that's not going to happen. 

So yeah, ride or die with who you've got and call it day.  Fitz and bums like this are just a huge waste of everyone's time. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd rather see Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg than any of those bums.  Just like Fitzpatrick, they do absolutely nothing to advance the franchise.  Except maybe Glennon and that's not going to happen. 

So yeah, ride or die with who you've got and call it day.  Fitz and bums like this are just a huge waste of everyone's time. 

Wonder who they have in mind.  Bowles did say they'd look at a vet at some point if no Fitz.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Wonder who they have in mind.  Bowles did say they'd look at a vet at some point if no Fitz.

They can look all they want, that doesnt mean they're going to sign someone.  And what's the point of signing a QB that's not going to play?  Just to have a "veteran" presence? That seems stupid and is a huge waste of a roster spot.  I highly doubt there is anyone out there other than Fitz who would unseat Geno at this point and not because Geno is great but because of his knowledge of the system, players, coaches, etc. 

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

if Geno starts no experience as   backups- sorry I can not see the Jets doing that  a vet will be signed

1 minute ago, faba said:

if Geno starts no experience as   backups- sorry I can not see the Jets doing that  a vet will be signed

That's a good point, that I didnt think about.  If they do that, does it cost Petty a roster spot?  

They're clearly not cutting Hack. 

6 minutes ago, faba said:

Exactly.  They'd be nuts to have Petty and Hack as their only backups.

9 minutes ago, faba said:

I think a lot of that depends on Petty. If he looks decent in camp it's hard to buy that they'd go into the season with 4 QBs on the roster. Particularly with such a top heavy depth chart like the Jets have.

I remain mystified why the Jet FO did not make a big show of interest in some of these guys at a minimum to gain leverage over Fitz and his agent.  And on the financial side some would be better deals than Fitz and the money they are talking about.  I understand how say someone like Foles is hard to gauge what he would do, and McCown seems a bit fragile.  But the approach the FO has taken is simply not working.

There's still time, but really....   This off season has not been at all fun.

29 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I remain mystified why the Jet FO did not make a big show of interest in some of these guys at a minimum to gain leverage over Fitz and his agent.  And on the financial side some would be better deals than Fitz and the money they are talking about.  I understand how say someone like Foles is hard to gauge what he would do, and McCown seems a bit fragile.  But the approach the FO has taken is simply not working.

There's still time, but really....   This off season has not been at all fun.

The problem is they want Fitz but not for one year but for 3. And the deal is kind of deceptive. They claim they are paying Fitz 12 mil for the first season. Which is below average starter's money. But the proviso is for year's 2 and 3 at backup pay.And it's strictly a package deal: no year 1 if he doesn't sign for year's 2 and 3.Which doesn't say a lot for their confidence in him. Plus it gives Mac and Woody an insurance policy if none of those guys develops into a starter. (And at low pay unless the incentives kick in.We don't know if these are tough to earn incentives or easy to earn incentives. Tough to earn would be making the playoffs, Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, etc.) I don't know about you but I've never seen a contract structured like this. btw when the Jets leaked the specifics of the deal they conveniently didn't mention years 2 and 3. All they told the press was one year 12 mil. Which sounds pretty good and something Fitz would agree to. So as long as they insist on their insurance policy I don't think he's going to sign that deal. If they are willing to back off and negotiate a one year contract with him (or sweeten the 3 year deal) they could sign him today. But it seems like Mac is more interested in covering his ass then signing the guy. This as Mac and Woody know could really backfire on both of them. As for showing interest in other Qbs they did bring in several guys but decided not to offer them contracts. So they did do that but didn't really want to go the final step on it. If Fitz is back they have enough Qbs. 

Sure seems to me like McCown for 2 at $10 million is a heck of alot better deal than Fitz for 3 at $24 million even if it costs us a 6th or a 7th rounder to get him from the Browns.  Petty is probably going to get exposed via the practice squad anyway.  You take this savings plus plug in Qvale in place of Breno and that money could help pay for players who are actually pretty good like Wilkerson....

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The problem is they want Fitz but not for one year but for 3. And the deal is kind of deceptive. They claim they are paying Fitz 12 mil for the first season. Which is below average starter's money. But the proviso is for year's 2 and 3 at backup pay.And it's strictly a package deal: no year 1 if he doesn't sign for year's 2 and 3.Which doesn't say a lot for their confidence in him. Plus it gives Mac and Woody an insurance policy if none of those guys develops into a starter. (And at low pay unless the incentives kick in.We don't know if these are tough to earn incentives or easy to earn incentives. Tough to earn would be making the playoffs, Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, etc.) I don't know about you but I've never seen a contract structured like this. btw when the Jets leaked the specifics of the deal they conveniently didn't mention years 2 and 3. All they told the press was one year 12 mil. Which sounds pretty good and something Fitz would agree to. So as long as they insist on their insurance policy I don't think he's going to sign that deal. If they are willing to back off and negotiate a one year contract with him (or sweeten the 3 year deal) they could sign him today. But it seems like Mac is more interested in covering his ass then signing the guy. This as Mac and Woody know could really backfire on both of them. As for showing interest in other Qbs they did bring in several guys but decided not to offer them contracts. So they did do that but didn't really want to go the final step on it. If Fitz is back they have enough Qbs. 

Two points.  First I agree with your general notion about the apparent structure of the Jets' offer that (putting the money numbers aside) it does not make sense for RF to sign it, and I don't think he will unless they change it.  I have felt that for several weeks now.

On the second point, yes I am aware that they brought some candidates in, but it all looked very pro forma and unserious.  And that was at the beginning of the off season.  Since they seem to have reached an impasse there has been effectively no moves made by the Jets to look at anyone else.  I think that is a mistake as a matter of taking a negotiating position.

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Sure seems to me like McCown for 2 at $10 million is a heck of alot better deal than Fitz for 3 at $24 million even if it costs us a 6th or a 7th rounder to get him from the Browns.  Petty is probably going to get exposed via the practice squad anyway.  You take this savings plus plug in Qvale in place of Breno and that money could help pay for players who are actually pretty good like Wilkerson....

It's actually a little less than that; it's 2 years $8.75M total. Not to mention only $1M of that is guaranteed, should he unexpectedly prove to be a worse option than both Geno and Petty by the end of this summer. 

If Fitz should get benched or supplanted by the end of the season it's $12M this year plus $6M next year. If he's SO horrible (or at least 2 of Petty/Hackenberg/Geno are leaving him in the dust) that he's not worth the roster spot at an extra $3M next year, then the current offer is effectively 1 year $15M for what will be a single, awful season. 

Breno is an interesting situation. I get the whole fear of the unknown thing, but in terms of pass blocking at least, with Breno it should be fear of the known. If it's even close by the time final cutdowns come around, they should cut him (or at try to get him to agree to a forced pay cut in exchange for a guaranteed roster spot). Or see if they can snag a conditional 7th rounder to a contender with thin depth, who just lost their RT (should one exist). I'm talking even in the absence of re-signing Mo. If there is that little separation between Qvale/other, then the team is better off pushing that $5M-ish of savings to 2017. 

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Two points.  First I agree with your general notion about the apparent structure of the Jets' offer that (putting the money numbers aside) it does not make sense for RF to sign it, and I don't think he will unless they change it.  I have felt that for several weeks now.

On the second point, yes I am aware that they brought some candidates in, but it all looked very pro forma and unserious.  And that was at the beginning of the off season.  Since they seem to have reached an impasse there has been effectively no moves made by the Jets to look at anyone else.  I think that is a mistake as a matter of taking a negotiating position.

Did anyone leak what the incentives (to boost his future $6M base salaries to a $12M max) were based upon? I mean, is it known that they're team incentives rather than personal stats/playing time incentives?

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Did anyone leak what the incentives (to boost his future $6M base salaries to a $12M max) were based upon? I mean, is it known that they're team incentives rather than personal stats/playing time incentives?

I was speaking more to the point made about the structure of the deal rather than the numbers on the incentives.  I don't know that any hard info was put out about the incentives.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

It says to me they don't want to sign anyone else. It's still possible but for the most part that ship is sailing or already sailed. There are guys like Jimmy Clausen still unemployed. Of course some Qbs will be cut before the beginning of the season. But do we really want these guys?  

11 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I was speaking more to the point made about the structure of the deal rather than the numbers on the incentives.  I don't know that any hard info was put out about the incentives.

Yeah I didn't see anything either but thought maybe I just missed something. Just out of curiosity - without getting into Fitzpatrick's pros/cons or what either of us think of how good he is, since we already know we disagree - what was wrong with the structure as you see it? My understanding is it's as follows:

• $6M SB (all guaranteed; duh)
  • $6M salary in 2016 (all guaranteed)
  • $6M salary in 2017 ($3M of it guaranteed, which likely/kinda of makes all $6M guaranteed, in practical terms)
  • $6M salary in 2018 (none of it guaranteed)
  • Incentives exist to boost the 2017 and/or 2018 salaries to $12M per. 

I'm just not seeing what is so particularly unfair about it from a structure standpoint.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think a lot of that depends on Petty. If he looks decent in camp it's hard to buy that they'd go into the season with 4 QBs on the roster. Particularly with such a top heavy depth chart like the Jets have.

The Jets were willing to roll with Petty as the backup for the first month of last season, it's not out of the question that in his second year they'd be willing to hand him the #2 job. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets were willing to roll with Petty as the backup for the first month of last season, it's not out of the question that in his second year they'd be willing to hand him the #2 job. 

Maybe, I dunno. For now I still find it difficult to believe that this franchise is really going to ask the fanbase to be cool with Geno/Petty/Hackenberg for the entire year. I just can't accept that's going to happen with season ticket holders or fans like myself that have to put serious time and money for traveling to see the team because we moved. It's one thing to just blatantly throw a season by going with crap on the depth chart and latently telling us all to accept that this is a rebuilding season, but that's not what this team is doing; and if this is what they're going to ask us to accept as Voltron's head then we really are in worse shape than I thought. And I'm not advocating for Fitz specifically either. But, this? What we have now? Unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

So back to this question. What exactly are his alternative options ? A) sign a even weaker deal as a backup somewhere else B ) retire. C) remain a FA throughout camp, even start of season hoping a starter goes down ? Which the current #2 of that team would get the first chance. Since he is ready to go, while fitz would have to come in get in shape and learn the system. Who knows how long fitz agent would take to sign a deal also.. 

Fitz doesn't have any other cards that can even closely resemble what ever the jets decide to shell out to him..

32 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Maybe, I dunno. For now I still find it difficult to believe that this franchise is really going to ask the fanbase to be cool with Geno/Petty/Hackenberg for the entire year. I just can't accept that's going to happen with season ticket holders or fans like myself that have to put serious time and money for traveling to see the team because we moved. It's one thing to just blatantly throw a season by going with crap on the depth chart and latently telling us all to accept that this is a rebuilding season, but that's not what this team is doing; and if this is what they're going to ask us to accept as Voltron's head then we really are in worse shape than I thought. And I'm not advocating for Fitz specifically either. But, this? What we have now? Unacceptable.

At the end of the day, I expect Fitz to sign the offer on the table because not signing it would be stupid and he's allegedly a smart guy. If he inexplicably chooses not to, however, I don't see anyone from this cast of characters beating out Geno, or worth investing in at the expense of the continued development of a guy like Petty. And for the cut Geno crowd, signing a McCown, cutting Geno, and making Petty his backup is probably a more precarious situation than just rolling with Geno. 

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Why is Cleveland trading their cheap backup QB for a non-asset who will likely have to play at some point when RGIII gets hurt or is ineffective? Doesn't seem to make sense. 

Oh, and you're like the 100th person to say this but doesn't make you any less wrong, but Mo's contract can be done and done without having to cut anyone or not signing Fitz, or any other viable competition (eventual starter) QB. The money for Mo is already there, the desire to sign him doesn't seem to be. So, stop perpetuating myths. 

You were spot on about Breno though. That guy needs to go. 

19 minutes ago, slats said:

At the end of the day, I expect Fitz to sign the offer on the table because not signing it would be stupid and he's allegedly a smart guy. If he inexplicably chooses not to, however, I don't see anyone from this cast of characters beating out Geno, or worth investing in at the expense of the continued development of a guy like Petty. And for the cut Geno crowd, signing a McCown, cutting Geno, and making Petty his backup is probably a more precarious situation than just rolling with Geno. 

I have no idea what to do with Geno, but the idea that this franchise would hand him the starting job for a fourth year in a row to see yet again if he can be the guy...I don't know. It's just insane to think that we've sacrificed multiple years, again, on a guy that clearly isn't the guy and we're going for yet another round. Almost 20 years of this now since Vinny. It's like one GM is just a poorly conceived clone of the last one.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

I agree...unless maybe he wants to play QB this year. 

I just love the fact that some fans (mostly who dislike the player) keep saying that he is stupid not to accept this deal and that nobody is giving him a better offer. Like they know about NFL contracts more than a guy who has played in the league 11 years and signed starter and backup contracts. He was just on a lower backup one and out performed it. And maybe he understands the market a little. Also his agent Jimmy Sexton represents a lot of players and coaches, etc. and is considered one of the best agents in the business. So maybe they know what they're doing. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I just love the fact that some fans (mostly who dislike the player) keep saying that he is stupid not to accept this deal and that nobody is giving him a better offer. Like they know about NFL contracts more than a guy who has played in the league 11 years and signed starter and backup contracts. He was just on a lower backup one and out performed it. And maybe he understands the market a little. Also his agent Jimmy Sexton represents a lot of players and coaches, etc. and is considered one of the best agents in the business. So maybe they know what they're doing. 

I never said it wasn't smart. I know some people have, but that's just emotional. If the Jets don't cave then he will. Who knows maybe the Jets will then it was a very smart negotiation. I just hope they don't because it will become standard procedure. 

21 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I never said it wasn't smart. I know some people have, but that's just emotional. If the Jets don't cave then he will. Who knows maybe the Jets will then it was a very smart negotiation. I just hope they don't because it will become standard procedure. 

I don't see why there has to be a winner or loser on this.. We don't really know the stages of negotiation, what we've heard is that the Jets have been so far unbending in terms of changing their offer. Fitz has reduced his price and expectations and will accept a one year deal, So why not compromise. Fitz takes less money for 2016 but isn't under the control of the Jets in years 2 and 3. He's a FA. He could end up losing money or making a lot of money depending upon his play. Isn't that the American way. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

And maybe Mac knows exactly what he is doing and is reading the non existing market for Fitzpatrick brilliantly.. We don't have the cap, and dont want to push more cap onto next yr by restructuring players who may be on their way out next yr.. So yes we can't break the bank.. Fitz was extremely lucky he got the chance to play last yr.. After an absolutely terrible performance in the biggest game we had in yrs ( buf ) he should be a little more humble in the ONLY starting job he is being offered.. 

Archived