Sanchez done in Denver?

AFJF

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we were lectured by a certain poster about how easily we were manipulated by the media when we believed there was a chance Sanchez wouldn't start in Denver....now it looks like he may not make the roster, with HOF/SB winning QB/GM John Elway falling for the media's tricks too...it looks like Sanchez has been beaten out by last year's seventh-round pick Trevor Simienan (or something like that) and Memphis project QB Paxton Lynch.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mark-sanchez-cut-preseason-trade-denver-broncos-quarterback-qb-romo-49ers-cowboys-082716

By Dieter Kurtenbach  @dkurtenbachAug 28, 2016 at 12:16a ET

The Broncos’ starting quarterback job was Mark Sanchez’s to lose.

Saturday night, it became painfully obvious that he lost it.

Sanchez was the third choice at quarterback for Broncos in their third preseason game Saturday, the one considered the dress rehearsal for the regular season, as starters play — for the most part — for the entire first half.

But Sanchez wasn’t taking the snaps in the first half, Trevor Siemian was, and when the second half started, he remained on the bench as rookie Paxton Lynch played.

Sanchez remained on the bench the whole contest. He didn’t even get a snap against the Rams’ third-string defense in the fourth quarter. He wasn't even sent out to take a knee. 

He isn’t injured, he’s out of favor.

So what are the Broncos going to do with their unplayable quarterback?

Denver Broncos quarterbacks Trevor Siemian (13), Mark Sanchez (6) and Paxton Lynch (12). (Photo By John Leyba/The Denver Post via Getty Images)

Well, considering that they can recoup $3.5 million of Sanchez's $4.5 million salary and the late-round draft pick they sent to Philadelphia in March, the most likely outcome is that he’s cut before Tuesday night. 

The Broncos could try to find a trade partner — the Tony Romo-less Dallas Cowboys might be interested in sending a low draft pick to Denver, and San Francisco coach Chip Kelly worked with Sanchez in Philadelphia — but it’s unlikely that any team would take on Sanchez's contract instead of waiting to sign him to their own terms.

No matter what the Broncos do with Sanchez, his time in Denver will be considered a disappointment.

(Photo By John Leyba/The Denver Post via Getty Images)

Sanchez was handed the starting quarterback job for the defending Super Bowl champions this spring, and in a few months, he lost not only that role, but also the backup job as well. And consider to whom he lost the jobs: Siemian has no career starts and was the unknown third-string QB behind Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler last year — his parents probably didn’t expect him to be a starting quarterback in the NFL, much less for the Broncos; and then, to add insult to injury, a rookie quarterback outplayed Sanchez and showed enough to be the backup quarterback.

It’s not like Siemian has thrown the cover off the ball. Saturday was his best preseason game, and he went 10 for 17 with a touchdown and an interception. There were some nice throws, yes, but there were also 10-yard outs that nosedived into the turf after 8 yards — not exactly All-Pro stuff. Then Lynch completed fewer than half of his passes until the Rams’ third-string defense entered the game.

Somehow, Sanchez has fallen so far out of favor, he didn't even get a shot to redeem himself. He had three turnovers in the Broncos’ first two preseason games, including two fumbles that were particularly in character.

And now the quarterback we all presumed would be the starter will in all likelihood be looking for a new start somewhere else.

Sanchez is now Denver's Emergency "Veteran" #3

And I bet even now there are folkswho think we "didn't give him a fair chance" and he "just needed more weapons" and that Sanchez "still has potential" to be a "franchise QB".

In a year or two this will be Geno as well, but some folks simply refuse to accept reality on some issues.  Quarterbacks is one such issue.

In before someone suggests we should look at Sanchez for the Jets if Denver Cuts him, because "Fitz is sh*t".

Doesn't Kubiak have a reputation for being.. fickle, I guess is the best word?

Also, in my 30+ years of following and or playing football, I have never heard the term 'throw the cover off the ball' in regards to this sport. I hope Jimmy Vesey scores a lot of 3 pointers for the Rangers this year. 

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sanchez is now Denver's Emergency "Veteran" #3

And I bet even now there are folkswho think we "didn't give him a fair chance" and he "just needed more weapons" and that Sanchez "still has potential" to be a "franchise QB".

In a year or two this will be Geno as well, but some folks simply refuse to accept reality on some issues.  Quarterbacks is one such issue.

In before someone suggests we should look at Sanchez for the Jets if Denver Cuts him, because "Fitz is sh*t".

Your feelings on the subject are well know. Not sure that every thread needs to be Geno Central. But if the Jets feel that Geno is the best backup option for this year, then I am going to believe them.

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Your feelings on the subject are well know.

Safe to say every regular poster here's "feelings on the subject" are well known.

Not sure that every thread needs to be Geno Central.

Why's that?  He's a Jet, he (and Fitz, and the QB Position) are the most contentious topic on Jets Fansdon right now, and "keep Geno" arguments literally echo all the old "keep Sanchez" arguments.  

Hence that makes the constant comparison valid.

But if the Jets feel that Geno is the best backup option for this year, then I am going to believe them.

I'm not.  If it costs us a chance to develop Petty, I'll be endlessly critical of it, because Geno is sh*t, and has no future here.

Don't get sensitive, old friend, just because you are stunningly, amazingly, catastrophically wrong on the value of Geno Smith. ;)

We all make mistakes once in a while.

I like Mac, and I like Petty (at least in each case personally), but this is somewhat of a eye-opener from the Jets perspective.  

The Broncos drafted a QB in the 7th round last year who played at Northwestern, and a 1st round QB from Memphis who did not play in a pro offense (that we passed on), and it appears that the Super Bowl champion is willing to start last year's seventh rounder and go with this year's 1st round project as the backup for a team that otherwise should compete again for at least the playoffs.

The Jets on the other hand do not think their 4th round pick from Baylor last year can even back up, and thus have to keep around for $1million+ a very flawed Geno Smith, and they are afraid to even let their second round pick be 3rd string.

Geno needs to go now. The Jets need to coach up Petty and Hack.  

Dallas, a probably playoff team, is going to start Dak.

Denver, the defending Super Bowl team, is going to start a no-name dude from Northwestern.

But our Jets are too weak-willed to cut bait on Geno Smith and go with Petty as our #2.

Not our starter.  Our #2.

Same ol' Jets.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Safe to say every regular poster here's "feelings on the subject" are well known.

Why's that?  He's a Jet, he (and Fitz, and the QB Position) are the most contentious topic on Jets Fansdon right now, and "keep Geno" arguments literally echo all the old "keep Sanchez" arguments.  

Hence that makes the constant comparison valid.

I'm not.  If it costs us a chance to develop Petty, I'll be endlessly critical of it, because Geno is sh*t, and has no future here.

Don't get sensitive, old friend, just because you are stunningly, amazingly, catastrophically wrong on the value of Geno Smith. ;)

We all make mistakes once in a while.

I am actually okay with whatever they decide. Honestly I am neutral on the subject. The best thing for the Jets long term would be Petty outplaying Geno and being the long term backup. This year behind Fitz and eventually behind Hack. Petty isn't going to be the # 1 anywhere, the team has so much as said that.

We have had credentials through out camp. We have had someone there pretty much every day. People that know football and the reports on Petty haven't been great.

So if the team decides that Geno is the safest backup QB for this season, I am not going to be upset. Like I said it would be great if Petty was what everyone hopes he would be. But they need him there right now. And he isn't. So you can't lose games this year because Fitz will get hurt at some point. They have to have the # 2 that gives them the best chance to win right now, that is how this team is built.

20 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Only cost us our 6th overall in 2008. Nbd.  

Though Sanchez never developed into our franchise QB, we made a great trade. We gave up three JAGS (including Brett Ratlif lol), our first round pick and our second round pick for a potential (at that time) franchise QB. And that was to trade up 12 spots. Compared to some of the insane deals that have happened recently for other high first round QBs, ours was a steal.

Thanks Mangini! 

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dallas, a probably playoff team, is going to start Dak.

Denver, the defending Super Bowl team, is going to start a no-name dude from Northwestern.

But our Jets are too weak-willed to cut bait on Geno Smith and go with Petty as our #2.

Not our starter.  Our #2.

Same ol' Jets.

We are cutting a QB, Jets are not going with 4 QBs into the season. My guess is Geno will be the cut, they still have time. 

41 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am actually okay with whatever they decide. Honestly I am neutral on the subject.

Given our years of friendship, I'll have to take your word on that.  Because you don't seem neutral to me...

The best thing for the Jets long term would be Petty outplaying Geno and being the long term backup.

Petty did outplay Geno, all preseason thus far.  In the games.  

This year behind Fitz and eventually behind Hack. Petty isn't going to be the # 1 anywhere, the team has so much as said that.

That will depend on Hack.  Was nice to finally see he's actually a real live person that existed last night...

We have had credentials through out camp. We have had someone there pretty much every day. People that know football and the reports on Petty haven't been great.

Yet in the preseason games it's been rather clear whose played better.

So if the team decides that Geno is the safest backup QB for this season, I am not going to be upset.

I will, it's a wasteful decision that sells the future for at best a very slightly improved backup in the present.

Like I said it would be great if Petty was what everyone hopes he would be.

All I hope he is is an acceptable #2.  Which he is.  Other teams have balls, we seem to lack them.

So you can't lose games this year because Fitz will get hurt at some point. They have to have the # 2 that gives them the best chance to win right now, that is how this team is built.

Presumes Geno > Petty, facts not in evidence IMO through 3 weeks of preseason games.  

Geno should have crushed Petty, given Geno's 4 full years in the league with two full years as starter.

Except he didn't  Petty outplayed him.  

If Macc goes with Geno and cuts Petty, well, it's be one of the first things I'd really think Macc ****ed up.

37 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am actually okay with whatever they decide. Honestly I am neutral on the subject. The best thing for the Jets long term would be Petty outplaying Geno and being the long term backup. This year behind Fitz and eventually behind Hack. Petty isn't going to be the # 1 anywhere, the team has so much as said that.

So if the team decides that Geno is the safest backup QB for this season, I am not going to be upset. Like I said it would be great if Petty was what everyone hopes he would be. But they need him there right now. And he isn't. So you can't lose games this year because Fitz will get hurt at some point. They have to have the # 2 that gives them the best chance to win right now, that is how this team is built.

Well said.  I am not a Geno fan but I do realize that the team knows far more about who best fills our #2 spot.

Some fans on message boards cannot help but get caught up in the mindset that they know more than the professionals who make such decisions for a living.

Pretty terrible failure by Sanchez here.  Had an spectacular chance to resurrect his career with great talent on both sides of the ball. 

He'll find a backup job somewhere but those playoff games are a distant memory.  Gracias for those great couple January runs.

8 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Well said.  I am not a Geno fan but I do realize that the team knows far more about who best fills our #2 spot.

Some fans on message boards cannot help but get caught up in the mindset that they know more than the professionals who make such decisions for a living.

It's amazing.  They're still saying Genos 3-5 performance last night was an abject failure and Pettys 5-10 with a pick six against the 3rd string was light years better.  It's like some bizarro world.

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

Pretty terrible failure by Sanchez here.  Had an spectacular chance to resurrect his career with great talent on both sides of the ball. 

He'll find a backup job somewhere but those playoff games are a distant memory.  Gracias for those great couple January runs.

So you finally admit he sucks?

51 minutes ago, TheMagicRat said:

Though Sanchez never developed into our franchise QB, we made a great trade. We gave up three JAGS (including Brett Ratlif lol), our first round pick and our second round pick for a potential (at that time) franchise QB. And that was to trade up 12 spots. Compared to some of the insane deals that have happened recently for other high first round QBs, ours was a steal.

Thanks Mangini! 

Pretty fair points actually. 

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

It's amazing.  They're still saying Genos 3-5 performance last night was an abject failure and Pettys 5-10 with a pick six against the 3rd string was light years better.  It's like some bizarro world.

Geno has been in the league for 4 years, and were told for months by people like you he'd be the starting QB up until the point you were proven wrong when Fitz was brought back.  Petty is a project QB who has had a pretty solid preseason overall.  Geno doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.  Petty does. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I like Mac, and I like Petty (at least in each case personally), but this is somewhat of a eye-opener from the Jets perspective.  

The Broncos drafted a QB in the 7th round last year who played at Northwestern, and a 1st round QB from Memphis who did not play in a pro offense (that we passed on), and it appears that the Super Bowl champion is willing to start last year's seventh rounder and go with this year's 1st round project as the backup for a team that otherwise should compete again for at least the playoffs.

The Jets on the other hand do not think their 4th round pick from Baylor last year can even back up, and thus have to keep around for $1million+ a very flawed Geno Smith, and they are afraid to even let their second round pick be 3rd string.

Geno needs to go now. The Jets need to coach up Petty and Hack.  

You're missing the part where the Broncos just won the super bowl and can waste a year developing their young qbs. If you think they would be doing this if they had missed the playoffs last year you're nuts.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Geno has been in the league for 4 years, and were told for months by people like you he'd be the starting QB up until the point you were proven wrong when Fitz was brought back.  Petty is a project QB who has had a pretty solid preseason overall.  Geno doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.  Petty does. 

This is Geno's 4th year so he's been in the league about 3 and something years. But your point isn't a good one anyway. Geno came into the league earlier because of his precocious college talent and his best games were his most recent. Petty came later and hasn't shown anything in actual games like Geno has. And the difference is startling when one considers Geno's last 5 games have been 90+ games. As such Geno should get the benefit of the doubt, and he will. He will probably start when Fitz gets benched too.

17 minutes ago, elgoman said:

This is Geno's 4th year so he's been in the league about 3 and something years. But your point isn't a good one anyway. Geno came into the league earlier because of his precocious college talent and his best games were his most recent. Petty came later and hasn't shown anything in actual games like Geno has. And the difference is startling when one considers Geno's last 5 games have been 90+ games. As such Geno should get the benefit of the doubt, and he will. He will probably start when Fitz gets benched too.

Oh cool, didn't know we had an insider who knows exactly what the coaches are thinking.

Macc didn't draft Geno and Bowles doesn't want him.  They don't owe him a thing, and certainly he has done nothing to earn this benefit of the doubt you speak of.

Geno is actually in worse shape than Sanchez in that respect.  At least Elway went out and signed Sanchez.  If he gets cut it'll be a combination of performance AND financial reasons.  If Geno gets cut it'll be performance (and the desire not to carry 4 QB's).  It makes little financial sense to cut him. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh cool, didn't know we had an insider who knows exactly what the coaches are thinking.

Macc didn't draft Geno and Bowles doesn't want him.  They don't owe him a thing, and certainly he has done nothing to earn this benefit of the doubt you speak of.

Geno is actually in worse shape than Sanchez in that respect.  At least Elway went out and signed Sanchez.  If he gets cut it'll be a combination of performance AND financial reasons.  If Geno gets cut it'll be performance (and the desire not to carry 4 QB's).  It makes little financial sense to cut him. 

Do you have a link where Bowles actually said he doesn't want Geno? 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Yeah, the link that reattached Fitz' thumb to his hand. They didn't trust Geno to even start the next game after that happened. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't think Geno wants to be on the Jets, either. He doesn't hang with the other QBs, or really much with any of his teammates. He got his jaw broken in that locker room, and no one came to his defense. Contrary to popular belief, he's not stupid. He recognizes where he stands there. He needs a fresh start, and the Jets would be better served carrying a couple QBs under contract into 2017. 

53 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

No, I think mostly we're just giving our opinions based on the eyeball test and whatever we agree with in print.  All but a handful of outliers fall in line with FO decisions once they've been made.  Till then we all have our own take and seek likes, and up arrows etc.        

1 minute ago, slats said:

I don't think Geno wants to be on the Jets, either. He doesn't hang with the other QBs, or really much with any of his teammates. He got his jaw broken in that locker room, and no one came to his defense. Contrary to popular belief, he's not stupid. He recognizes where he stands there. He needs a fresh start, and the Jets would be better served carrying a couple QBs under contract into 2017. 

I thought it was odd that every day in camp when the team would stretch, they would obviously line up in positional groups.  Every day, the QB's would be Fitz, Petty and Hack sitting/standing a few yards apart in a line, while Geno would stretch 20-30 yards away where the O-lineman were.  Surprised Bowles/Gailey didn't insist Geno stretch with the QB's.

Archived