Gas2No99

David Harris says Jets will 'surprise' people in 2017

57 posts in this topic

David Harris says Jets will 'surprise' people in 2017

New York Jets report to 2016 training camp

NORTH CALDWELL -- David Harris has heard it, read it. He's well aware the expectations for this year's Jets aren't very high.

How can a team put together a successful season with such quarterback concerns? A talent-deprived defense? An overall young roster with little regarding proven talent?

But Harris has a different outlook for the coming year: Just wait

"I think we're going to surprise some people," he said at his eighth-annual charity golf event on Monday.

This past season was an enormous disappointment for Harris and his teammates. After coming tiebreakers away from snapping a then five-year playoff drought the year before (and with the majority of the roster returning), the Jets finished 2016 5-11. There were reports of locker room turmoil, discord and a severe lack of leadership. Receiver Quincy Enunwa said, rather bluntly, the Jets' team didn't really "feel like a team."

Petty thinks he has legit chance to start

So, this offseason, general manager Mike Maccagnan gutted the roster, releasing many of the team's high-priced aging stars. Center Nick Mangold, cornerback Darrelle Revis, receiver Brandon Marshall and more were handed their walking papers.

Harris, 33, is now one of just six on the roster older than 30. He's the second-oldest behind 37-year-old quarterback Josh McCown.

"You look around, and there are not too many guys who have played more than seven years on the team," Harris said. "I'm the second-oldest guy, which is kind of crazy because I don't look at myself as being one of those old guys. Thank goodness Josh came around [joking].

"It's part of the business -- turnover -- especially when you have a year like we did. You expect it."

Hack not worried about pre-draft QB interest

While many see the Jets' youth, and subsequently label it a negative, Harris believes it can be a positive. Yes, the Jets lack experience, but they're overflowing in potential. If all things come together, it can be a good year.

"We can't worry about what's being said outside the locker room," Harris said. "We're the ones putting the work in every day. We're the ones who have to go out there and step on the field and prove it day in and day out. People can say what they want."

Harris was joined by coach Todd Bowles and several of his teammates at his golf event, which benefits the Give The Kids Hope Foundation and North Jersey Underprivileged Children.

Give the Kids Hope Foundation is a charitable organization, which directly benefits underprivileged children in New Jersey. The foundation has set a goal in 2017 to continue its support of providing needed renovations at Camp Hope, where over 2,700 underprivileged children from North Jersey attend at no cost every summer.

Hackenberg's confidence is growing

While Harris joked his golf game hasn't improved much in the years he has been hosting the event, he loves how much it helps those in need.

"It's a good cause to raise money to improve the grounds of the camp in West Milford, and sponsor underprivileged kids to go to some camps for free," Harris said. "It's always a good thing to have this event."

Love the optimism! 

I don't hear Harris say much, but good to see when he does it's positive. 

It's interesting to see which guys we're keeping on the team, Harris on Defense, Decker and Forte on Offense, all good solid leaders.  These and a few other players are really going to show the younger guys the ropes.  

4 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

It's interesting to see which guys we're keeping on the team, Harris on Defense, Decker and Forte on Offense, all good solid leaders.  These and a few other players are really going to show the younger guys the ropes.  

Decker pushed for Futz last season. That divided the locker room IMO. I would rather develop a younger player that may be here in a few years than have 100+ targets thrown to Decker. 

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

Decker pushed for Futz last season. That divided the locker room IMO. I would rather develop a younger player that may be here in a few years than have 100+ targets thrown to Decker. 

No question he was all in Fitz camp, but it was Sheldon and Brandon Marshall that were dividing the locker room. 

Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

No question he was all in Fitz camp, but it was Sheldon and Brandon Marshall that were dividing the locker room. 

BM also pushed for Futz. He and Decker divided the locker room. Sheldon got upset because of the losing. Stop with the fantasy already. Decker is a divisive player here. This year though his power is limited and his mouth has been quiet this year. He should have never played his GM card.

Without a QB, we aren't surprising anyone.

lol you guys..  thanks for the laugh.:D

Well I'll join in.. I'm feeling good..it'll probably change after the 3rd week in but right now I think this team *COULD* spark and surprise people or least confuse other teams coaching against the Jets since it's such a huge overhaul. 

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Without a QB, we aren't surprising anyone.

Ill be surprised if we win 5 games....  just enough to get a shltty draft pick.

Seriously, you guys think we are as clueless as the ______ ______ Nets?  Really.... we aren't even at the level of dysfunction as the Knicks.  Bowles isn't Bill Walsh but he isn't Kotite either.  And please remind me when Macc pulled off a move as dumb as Billy King was capable of?  We can compare ourselves to losers but not friggin' incompetents.

Everybody showed up for practice.  Surprise!!!!

Only way that can happen is if one of our young QB's get it and show they are legit NFL QB's

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Ill be surprised if we win 5 games....  just enough to get a shltty draft pick.

So Jetsy.

"Give the Kids Hope" should be the Jets 2017 motto! :D 

The bar is so low, looking like an actual NFL team would be a "surprise".

Put the comment in context.

I Love The 90's Tour, Coslet was a fresh start 

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Your wet dream

10 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

BM also pushed for Futz. He and Decker divided the locker room. Sheldon got upset because of the losing. Stop with the fantasy already. Decker is a divisive player here. This year though his power is limited and his mouth has been quiet this year. He should have never played his GM card.

This is so stupid Forrest Gump is shaking his head.