Top 5, Top 5.

Patriot Killa

Give me your top 5 running backs ever to touch a field. And then give me your top five current best and while you're at it your top 5 JET running backs..because it's the offseason as I'm tired of Hack sucks threads..so why the hell not?

All-time ---

1.) Eric Dickerson

2.) Walter Peyton

3.) Emmit Smith

4.) Ladainian Tomlinson

5.) Barry Sanders

--- Current

1.) David Johnson

2.) Le'Veon Bell

3.) Devonta Freeman

4.) Ezekiel Elliot

5.) Adrian Peterson

Top 5 Jet RB's --

1.) Curtis Martin

2.) Freeman McNeil 

3.) Emerson Boozer

4.) Matt Snell

5.) Thomas Jones

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Give me your top 5 running backs ever to touch a field. And then give me your top five current best and while you're at it your top 5 JET running backs..because it's the offseason as I'm tired of Hack sucks threads..so why the hell not?

All-time ---

1.) Eric Dickerson

2.) Walter Peyton

3.) Emmit Smith

4.) Ladainian Tomlinson

5.) Barry Sanders

--- Current

1.) David Johnson

2.) Le'Veon Bell

3.) Devonta Freeman

4.) Ezekiel Elliot

5.) Adrian Peterson

Top 5 Jet RB's --

1.) Curtis Martin

2.) Freeman McNeil 

3.) Emerson Boozer

4.) Matt Snell

5.) Thomas Jones

Not sure how you can have a legitimate list that doesn't contain Jim Brown!

28 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

All-time ---

1.) Eric Dickerson

2.) Walter Peyton

3.) Emmit Smith

4.) Ladainian Tomlinson

5.) Barry Sanders

--- Current

1.) David Johnson

2.) Le'Veon Bell

3.) Devonta Freeman

4.) Ezekiel Elliot

5.) Adrian Peterson

Top 5 Jet RB's --

1.) Curtis Martin

2.) Freeman McNeil 

3.) Emerson Boozer

4.) Matt Snell

5.) Thomas Jones

Riggins, Campbell missing close the thread.

All Time:

1. Bo Jackson

2. Jim Brown

3. Barry Sanders

4. Walter Payton

5. Earl Campbell

Now:

1. Todd Gurley ( i realize his yards/attempt sucks but so does that entire offense, I don't care I'm taking him first)

2. Ezekiel Elliot  

3. Le'veon Bell

4. LeSean McCoy

5. David Johnson

Jets:

1. Curtis Martin

2. Freeman McNeil

3. Emerson Boozer

4. John Riggins

5. Johnny Hector 

31 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Not sure how you can have a legitimate list that doesn't contain Jim Brown!

I really didn't see him play or look back at his career..not to purposely not acknowledge his greatness but I really didn't think of his name. Lol sorry..you guys are welcome to post your own lists though.

All Time

Gale Sayers

Jim Brown

Bo Jackson

Barry Sanders

Adrian Peterson

Now

LeVeon Bell

David Johnson

Demarco Murray

Adrian Peterson

Zeke Elliot

Jets all time

Curtis Martin

Freeman McNeil

Matt Snell

John Riggins

Emerson Boozer

44 minutes ago, HessStation said:

All Time:

1. Bo Jackson

2. Jim Brown

3. Barry Sanders

4. Walter Payton

5. Earl Campbell

Now:

1. Todd Gurley ( i realize his yards/attempt sucks but so does that entire offense, I don't care I'm taking him first)

2. Ezekiel Elliot  

3. Le'veon Bell

4. LeSean McCoy

5. David Johnson

Jets:

1. Curtis Martin

2. Freeman McNeil

3. Emerson Boozer

4. John Riggins

5. Johnny Hector 

How are you the first mention of Jim Brown, Wow!

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Payton

Sanders

Brown

Bo

Faulk

Mcneil

Martin

Really didn't even think of Faulk. Guy was one of the best two dimensional half backs ever. It's so hard to make a list because of how many great RB's there were that's why I made this the position to list?

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

All-time ---

1.) Eric Dickerson

2.) Walter Peyton

3.) Emmit Smith

4.) Ladainian Tomlinson

5.) Barry Sanders

--- Current

1.) David Johnson

2.) Le'Veon Bell

3.) Devonta Freeman

4.) Ezekiel Elliot

5.) Adrian Peterson

Top 5 Jet RB's --

1.) Curtis Martin

2.) Freeman McNeil 

3.) Emerson Boozer

4.) Matt Snell

5.) Thomas Jones

top 5 all time:

1. jim brown

2. earl campbell

3. barry sanders

4. payton

5. dickerson

6. emmitt smith

6 hours ago, Larz said:

Would any other fan base have a Hall of Fame player that played recently and not even consider him an all time great?

LT and Campbell over Martin?

LT and Martin are close...but I'd go LT in my most unbiased opinion. Martin in a Jet uniform is a very proud moment for all of us though. I'm sure we can agree. Namath and Martin are the two guys you think about when you hear best Jets ever.

8 hours ago, Larz said:

Would any other fan base have a Hall of Fame player that played recently and not even consider him an all time great?

LT and Campbell over Martin?

Really? I'm a Curtis fan, but he's not in the same league as LT or Campbell. And anybody who starts a thread about running backs and leaves off Jim Brown should be truly embarrassed. And then puts Barry Sanders behind Eric Dickerson and Emmit Smith. And leaves out OJ Simpson as well. Kids these days...

Any list that doesn't start with Jim Brown at the top is off to a bad stop.  Can't imagine how many yards he would have run for if his OLmen could use their hands like the modern day player. 

12 hours ago, HessStation said:

All Time:

1. Bo Jackson

2. Jim Brown

3. Barry Sanders

4. Walter Payton

5. Earl Campbell

Now:

2. Ezekiel Elliot  

3. Le'veon Bell

4. LeSean McCoy

5. David Johnson

Jets:

1. Curtis Martin

2. Freeman McNeil

3. Emerson Boozer

4. John Riggins

5. Johnny Hector 

I don't get the love for Bo.  He played only a handful of seasons, reached 950 yrds once, never close to that again and only a few TDs per year.  Is it because he played 2 sports or his athleticism?   I mean his numbers are Blair Thomas like....Maybe

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't get the love for Bo.  He played only a handful of seasons, reached 950 yrds once, never close to that again and only a few TDs per year.  Is it because he played 2 sports or his athleticism?   I mean his numbers are Blair Thomas like....Maybe

Not just best RB but football player I've ever seen step on the field. Put Bo on a good team, healthy and dedicated to just football and he would have shattered every record in the book.

Campbell isn't just top-5.  He's top-2.  Look at his first six years (one of which he was injured).  If he lasts 2-3 more years at that pace, he passes Brown as the GOAT.  If you never saw him play and the way he ran around and through players, you can't appreciate it.  He wasn't just a speed guy like Sanders, or a power guy like Brown.  He was both

My advice is if you haven't seen him play, watch.  Then make your list.

I can only go on guys I have seen.

#1 Peyton.   When he retired all time leader in rushing yards and receptions by a running back.  Like Barry, did it on some real bad Bears teams.

#2  Barry Sanders

#3 Earl Campbell.   Really only a 4 year prime, but what a prime.

#4 Marshall Faulk.  Rams have 2 SB if Martz runs Marshall 20+ times against the Pats.   He could do it all, great football IQ, block, run, catch, split out wide.  Amazing.

#5 Eric Dickerson.  Love him, amazing.  Fumbled 10-12 times a year hurts a bit.

Just misses for me.  TD on the Broncos.  Thurmon Thomas.   A Peterson

Like I said, I never saw Jim Brown at all, nor Gale Sayers.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

LT and Martin are close...but I'd go LT in my most unbiased opinion. Martin in a Jet uniform is a very proud moment for all of us though. I'm sure we can agree. Namath and Martin are the two guys you think about when you hear best Jets ever.

I give the edge to Martin for all around game and consistency. Martin is under valued as a reciever and had more wiggle than he gets credit for. LT was also an all around player but I think his career ended with more of a whimper, the 30 year old wall got him.

3 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Steeler fans + Jerome Bettis.  

I'll take your word for it but they have like 30 hall of famers, thay can be picky

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Really? I'm a Curtis fan, but he's not in the same league as LT or Campbell. And anybody who starts a thread about running backs and leaves off Jim Brown should be truly embarrassed. And then puts Barry Sanders behind Eric Dickerson and Emmit Smith. And leaves out OJ Simpson as well. Kids these days...

why not ?  When martin retired he was #4 ALL TIME in rushing yards, and #10 ALL TIME is yards from scrimmage with 100 total TD's in 11 years. 

Agree on Brown and Dickerson.

41 minutes ago, Larz said:

I give the edge to Martin for all around game and consistency. Martin is under valued as a reciever and had more wiggle than he gets credit for. LT was also an all around player but I think his career ended with more of a whimper, the 30 year old wall got him.

I'll take your word for it but they have like 30 hall of famers, thay can be picky

why not ?  When martin retired he was #4 ALL TIME in rushing yards, and #10 ALL TIME is yards from scrimmage with 100 total TD's in 11 years. 

Agree on Brown and Dickerson.

Martin lasted a lot longer then Earl Campbell, but Earl's prime was way better then Martin's.  I like Curtis, but don't put him in that category.  Earl's prime, he averaged 1600 a year with 13.75 touchdowns.  Curtis never had a run like that. 

LT was effectively done as an elite player at 28 years old.   But by then he had a 100 reception season, set the NFL record for points in a season, led the league in rushing twice, led in TDs 3 times, and was just a more explosive player.

52 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Bo Jackson was basically Earl Campbell's and Gayle Sayers' love child. 

Bo was the best athlete I have ever seen, in any sport.  I can't rank him as an all time running back when he only ran for 2700 yards in his career. 

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Bo was the best athlete I have ever seen, in any sport.  I can't rank him as an all time running back when he only ran for 2700 yards in his career. 

If you are talking versatility, I'd say it's a solid argument.  But if you are talking about pure athletic greatness, I would counter with Usain Bolt.  What he does is literally an evolutionary step ahead of everyone else around him.  He dominates his sport like no one since Edwin Moses did but even more so.   Watching him race live is a treat...not because you wonder if he'll win, but by how wide a margin.  He makes other world-class sprinters look like chubby ten-year-olds.

Yes, I possibly just derailed this thread but so worth it!

Archived