OH GOD YES: Jets announce a "Jets Fan Hall of Fame."

T0mShane

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He's a profiteer?  Because he did work for the Jets outside of the stadium and no one asked you?  You play the greedy, money obsessed bitch when you feel like then moan and groan that someone does it better than you?  Lol, rich

He was a fan and season ticket holder long before you lucked into you shltty PSL seats.  He went to more games than you, was there every week while you sell seats on a regular basis.  You plan out your geeky outfits and brag about your make believe world while he does what a real fan does.  Unlike you.  He shlt on no one, only a half wit or a jealous whiney one would think along those lines.  Poor SAR, was shlt on by a fan.  The chant isn't dead, your line of thinking is though. 

He's a profiteer, he gets paid trips, he gets paid commercial appearances, he made an iPhone app, he pimps himself at events.  But that's only one small reason to dislike the guy.

As our self-proclaimed mascot and #1 Jets fan he has only one obligation, only one unbreakable covenant with the fans:  To stay in character and do nothing to embarrass the organization.

And he broke that covenant.  To promote himself.  On national TV.  On Thanksgiving.  At the precise moment in time that every Jets fan was faced with the realization that the Ryan Jets were over and we weren't going to see the playoffs for a decade or more.  Waits for the cue from the cameraman.  Children watching TV seeing the Jets mascot storm up the steps and out of MetLife Stadium, making a terrible night into an utter humiliation.  It's why he gets no applause on his so-called 'returns' to the stadium in recent years.  It's why the chant is dead and gone at the stadium except when some upper deck drunks want to feel young again.  It's why Firefraud is unwelcome as a spokesman for the team now, has been eased out in a very calculated manner by Jets brass.  We don't need a superfan with a point of view.  Like every other pro sports team, if we ever dip back in the mascot pool it'll be a paid performer in a costume with a foam head who is under contract to keep his mouth shut.

As for your continued personal attacks on myself and other posters, I hope the moderators of this site have taken notice and will muzzle you the way the Johnson's have muzzled Anzalone.  It's long overdue.

SAR I

We do need a mascot. I don't care about Fire Marshal Bill per say but it was the persona. The idea was greater than the man which is why Sarry is so overly upset like the "Leave Brittney alone" chick.

He did ruin the myth and the chant which was the one thing we had on other teams.

No regular person can get Jet fans to pay attention and get up and chant unless it's "Fire (insert coach's name here)."

We need someone cool, but commanding with timing and rhythm...You know like Bill's persona before he started talking. Any ideas send them to the Jets but I think the lighting has been let out of the bottle and is tough to put back in. Maybe Jim Carey could do it. I don't think he has anything else to do.

In the old days some editor would have squashed this story for the public good like they did all public trust stories. Nowadays they look for dirt to make sure no one has faith in anything, and no one is happy ever. That's how they know they've done there job. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We do need a mascot. I don't care about Fire Marshal Bill per say but it was the persona. The idea was greater than the man which is why Sarry is so overly upset like the "Leave Brittney alone" chick.

He did ruin the myth and the chant which was the one thing we had on other teams.

No regular person can get Jet fans to pay attention and get up and chant unless it's "Fire (insert coach's name here)."

We need someone cool, but commanding with timing and rhythm...You know like Bill's persona before he started talking. Any ideas send them to the Jets but I think the lighting has been let out of the bottle and is tough to put back in. Maybe Jim Carey could do it. I don't think he has anything else to do.

In the old days some editor would have squashed this story for the public good like they did all public trust stories. Nowadays they look for dirt to make sure no one has faith in anything, and no one is happy ever. That's how they know they've done there job. 

No, the gist is that we are past the point where we need a mascot or anything of that nature at all.

I don't know if you're a season ticket holder and I don't know if you have gone to 20+ games at MetLife to understand.  It's a different breed of fans in the building now.  Whether white collar or blue collar, to all of us, drinking isn't cool anymore.  It's just like smoking.  It's a generational thing.  I don't know anyone under the age of 45 who smokes or drinks, and when I look at who does they're all 50+ and their numbers are beginning to dwindle.  This "chant" thing was necessary decades ago because the drunks needed someone to get them to focus on the game every once in awhile.  Today's fans are sober, are paying close attention, and don't need some mouthbreather's spelling bee to get our heads in the game.

As for the kids, there is enough in-stadium entertainment to keep them occupied, they don't need a silly mascot playing dress up.  I took my 5 year old to the game last Saturday, he had a great time, watched the games, asked good questions, liked the t-shirt cannons, liked the animations on the big screens, kept waiting for his selfie to get shown to the crowd.

The chant is a thing of the past because the drunks are a thing of the past.  There are enough fans in the stadium into the game to make the right amount of noise at the right time, the drunks keeping quiet with their headaches and their twitchy bladders are barely noticeable.

SAR I

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Quoted for future use.

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Well if that happens I'm clubbing a baby seal and tossing a butterfly into a bug zapper. 

Just you wait and see, 10 or 20 years from now when the Jets Fan Hall Of Fame monument is erected and is respectfully visited like the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and Fireman Ed's name isn't on it, it'll be like Joe Klecko all over again.  Back page news stories.  Phone calls to sports radio.  "Put Ed in the Hall!" bi-planes overhead.  Silence from the Jets FO will be the response.

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

He's a profiteer, he gets paid trips, he gets paid commercial appearances, he made an iPhone app, he pimps himself at events.  But that's only one small reason to dislike the guy.

As our self-proclaimed mascot and #1 Jets fan he has only one obligation, only one unbreakable covenant with the fans:  To stay in character and do nothing to embarrass the organization.

And he broke that covenant.  To promote himself.  On national TV.  On Thanksgiving.  At the precise moment in time that every Jets fan was faced with the realization that the Ryan Jets were over and we weren't going to see the playoffs for a decade or more.  Waits for the cue from the cameraman.  Children watching TV seeing the Jets mascot storm up the steps and out of MetLife Stadium, making a terrible night into an utter humiliation.  It's why he gets no applause on his so-called 'returns' to the stadium in recent years.  It's why the chant is dead and gone at the stadium except when some upper deck drunks want to feel young again.  It's why Firefraud is unwelcome as a spokesman for the team now, has been eased out in a very calculated manner by Jets brass.  We don't need a superfan with a point of view.  Like every other pro sports team, if we ever dip back in the mascot pool it'll be a paid performer in a costume with a foam head who is under contract to keep his mouth shut.

As for your continued personal attacks on myself and other posters, I hope the moderators of this site have taken notice and will muzzle you the way the Johnson's have muzzled Anzalone.  It's long overdue.

SAR I

Hes not a profiteer, he worked for the Jets making appearances for them.  I can see why youre jealous.

Self proclaimed mascot?  He was doing the chant day one at the Meadowlands while you were still dreaming about how to circumvent the waiting list.  He put in more time as a mascot than you did as a PSL holder.  He broke no covenant.  Did the originators of the chant at Shea also break one when they decided to end it?

Personal attacks?  Because someone points out that you should stick to topics like outfits for the game or PSLs?  Or do you get all shltty when youre called exactly what you are, a troll.  You were a troll at JI until you were perma banned and you've continued your trolling ways here.  Dont like getting called out on it, stop trolling.  Better than your threats and warnings.  Or maybe you can take up your favorite ways on JI.  Troll people and then run to the mods telling them that people are stalking you.  Have many of those messages forwarded to us by mods.  

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes not a profiteer, he worked for the Jets making appearances for them.  I can see why youre jealous.

Self proclaimed mascot?  He was doing the chant day one at the Meadowlands while you were still dreaming about how to circumvent the waiting list.  He put in more time as a mascot than you did as a PSL holder.  He broke no covenant.  Did the originators of the chant at Shea also break one when they decided to end it?

Personal attacks?  Because someone points out that you should stick to topics like outfits for the game or PSLs?  Or do you get all shltty when youre called exactly what you are, a troll.  You were a troll at JI until you were perma banned and you've continued your trolling ways here.  Dont like getting called out on it, stop trolling.  Better than your threats and warnings.  Or maybe you can take up your favorite ways on JI.  Troll people and then run to the mods telling them that people are stalking you.  Have many of those messages forwarded to us by mods.  

Holy Geebuz dude, just ignore him.  You're playing right into him.

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why does it seem like your primary function here is to get into pissing matches with the people who troll you? Instead of suggesting other people put you on ignore, perhaps you should put the function to use yourself if you lack the willpower not to hit submit reply every once in a while. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Why does it seem like your primary function here is to get into pissing matches with the people who troll you? Instead of suggesting other people put you on ignore, perhaps you should put the function to use yourself if you lack the willpower not to hit submit reply every once in a while. 

Youre right, leave the troller alone, tell someone who responds that theyre wrong for responding.  Or telling someone who is following you around to put me on ignore is somehow wrong?  

best jet fan I know-my father been going since 1970-he wanted to get tickets in 69 but money was tight -after they won he said no problem there will be plenty of other chances-little did he know :(

I have been going since 1973 as very young kid thanks to my father-we have shared many great days together and sadly many walks of shame saying I cant believe how they managed to blow this one

The only thing my father wants is from the jets is to hire a real gm and a real coach and actually be committed to putting a winner on the field. We have been patient enough-our current regime we both agree is maybe the worst this team has ever had-it is our opinion which you can agree with our disagree with but over 40 years of attending games barely missing any that is what we think

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre right, leave the troller alone, tell someone who responds that theyre wrong for responding.

5881861191_90de8b5bc9.jpg

These guys hook you every time on the first try. You're the only one who seems to not be in on the joke. I'm just trying to help you out. Next time you wanna suggest to someone that they put you on ignore, just put them on ignore instead. I'm sure it will improve your Jetnation experience. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre right, leave the troller alone, tell someone who responds that theyre wrong for responding.

For the record, I am not trolling anyone. I am offering my personal opinions just as I am supposed to do in a discussion forum.

You, on the other hand, are not engaging discussion on the subject matter but instead (as usual) are engaging in personal attacks as if this is Twitter or some other form of garbage social media.  The reason we come to discussion forums is to have conversations, sometimes they get heated, but it's always about the topic at hand and not the people making the comments. This is a distinction you do not understand. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, slats said:

5881861191_90de8b5bc9.jpg

These guys hook you every time on the first try. You're the only one who seems to not be in on the joke. I'm just trying to help you out. Next time you wanna suggest to someone that they put you on ignore, just put them on ignore instead. I'm sure it will improve your Jetnation experience. 

I did put that person on ignore.  After telling me he would put me on ignore he made a number of excuses why he couldnt.  So i did it,works well

Maybe SAR could stop too.  Seems like he cant

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I did put that person on ignore.  After telling me he would put me on ignore he made a number of excuses why he couldnt.  So i did it,works well

The fact that you've felt the need to respond to my last two posts, and will likely respond to this one, suggests that you're the one who really has a difficult time stopping. 

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Stop what? You want me to put you on ignore?  I am thrilled to do so. The only reason I don't is because I need to see your posts to see what types of lies you are spreading about me this week as opposed to last week, what false memories you have of past interactions on old websites, nonsense like me crying to mods or being permananned.

Put me on ignore, never respond to my posts again, never refer to me again, give me no reason to check for your accusations and I will be more than happy to put you on ignore and never have to read another word that you write again for the rest of my life.  You add nothing of value. You are neither funny or informative.  You are just mean. 

SAR I

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

best jet fan I know-my father been going since 1970-he wanted to get tickets in 69 but money was tight -after they won he said no problem there will be plenty of other chances-little did he know :(

I have been going since 1973 as very young kid thanks to my father-we have shared many great days together and sadly many walks of shame saying I cant believe how they managed to blow this one

The only thing my father wants is from the jets is to hire a real gm and a real coach and actually be committed to putting a winner on the field. We have been patient enough-our current regime we both agree is maybe the worst this team has ever had-it is our opinion which you can agree with our disagree with but over 40 years of attending games barely missing any that is what we think

You definitely need to submit his name for consideration. I hope they pick him.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The HoF fan thing is yet another bad idea by those crackerjacks in the jets' marketing department.

You can dislike Fireman Ed for whatever your reason. But unless you get paid in thank you notes and attaboys, hard to knock a guy for monetizing his fandom. Why was he supposed to say no  to that? 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, the gist is that we are past the point where we need a mascot or anything of that nature at all.

I don't know if you're a season ticket holder and I don't know if you have gone to 20+ games at MetLife to understand.  It's a different breed of fans in the building now.  Whether white collar or blue collar, to all of us, drinking isn't cool anymore.  It's just like smoking.  It's a generational thing.  I don't know anyone under the age of 45 who smokes or drinks, and when I look at who does they're all 50+ and their numbers are beginning to dwindle.  This "chant" thing was necessary decades ago because the drunks needed someone to get them to focus on the game every once in awhile.  Today's fans are sober, are paying close attention, and don't need some mouthbreather's spelling bee to get our heads in the game.

As for the kids, there is enough in-stadium entertainment to keep them occupied, they don't need a silly mascot playing dress up.  I took my 5 year old to the game last Saturday, he had a great time, watched the games, asked good questions, liked the t-shirt cannons, liked the animations on the big screens, kept waiting for his selfie to get shown to the crowd.

The chant is a thing of the past because the drunks are a thing of the past.  There are enough fans in the stadium into the game to make the right amount of noise at the right time, the drunks keeping quiet with their headaches and their twitchy bladders are barely noticeable.

SAR I

Yes, each passing generation is smarter, more well rounded, self reliant, and capable.

I'm pretty sure that millennials will soon steal the title of "The greatest generation."  

I see the evidence everyday. 

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

The HoF fan thing is yet another bad idea by those crackerjacks in the jets' marketing department.

You can dislike Fireman Ed for whatever your reason. But unless you get paid in thank you notes and attaboys, hard to knock a guy for monetizing his fandom. Why was he supposed to say no  to that? 

I found it disingenuous for him to act like a "regular fan", take advantage of all the perks of fame, and then turn around and bash Woody Johnson or the fans whenever he felt like it.  Either just be a fan or be a terrific mascot.  You can't be a guy who acts like Mr. #1 Jets fan and then rips the owner a new one for breaking a pretend promise to move back to Queens or storm out of a stadium in a hissy fit while the cameras are rolling to make a point, or give a scathing interview to ESPN.  Best of all was his Resting Disappointed Face every time we didn't stand up on command and do the sophomoric spelling bee chant.

It became all about his feelings.  No one cares about a mascot's feelings.  No one asks Thunder the horse his opinion about John Elway.  Fireman Ed didn't represent me.  If he wants to be some child's toy at McDonald's and be a loveable mascot that's cool, I could handle that.  He became just another disappointment about the Jets.  Bad enough the team sucked, now it's mascot needs a safe space?  F that.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree on the "fan hall of fame", no good comes from that idea unless they admit tens of thousands of fans so they can share their story

The Jets could do something interesting in this regard.  Forgive me if this sound morbid, but...

80 years from now we'll all be gone and it would be sort of cool if our descendants as next-generation season ticket holders could go to a monument of sorts at MetLife Stadium before a game, find dad's name on a plaque somewhere, touch it for luck, and then go enjoy kickoff.  Something to be said about honoring the legacy of the individual fans at the venue in which their favorite team played.  Sad to say I don't have the time to visit my father's grave every year, but if his name were engraved on a Jets Fan Wall Of Fame alongside thousands of other Jets fans, my sons and I would surely stop by before the game to touch his name, blow a kiss, say a little prayer.  That's a good way to honor average Jets fans, not just special ones elected and given a ceremonial jacket.  Just a thought.

SAR I

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm assuming he's talking about me. I never said I'd put him on ignore. Liar, liar... pants on fire.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Yes, each passing generation is smarter, more well rounded, self reliant, and capable.

I'm pretty sure that millennials will soon steal the title of "The greatest generation."  

I see the evidence everyday. 

I dig the sarcasm, but the point is the beer lines are shorter, the stadium is smoke-free, there is less foul language, fewer fights.....the classic hallmarks of 1980's Shea Stadium and 1990's Giants Stadium fanbases are changing rapidly.

You know how people say there are too many yuppies on their phones in the Stadium?  That's true.  Well the upside to that is that they're not drinking and they're not smoking and they're actually paying attention to the game and thus they don't need a chant or a chant-leader to cue them when to sober up and pay attention.  Fans today aren't in it for the sports bar anymore; they're in it for the game.  If the collateral damage of that sea-change to the fans of today vs. the fans of Fireman Ed's era is that we don't do the silly spelling bee, I'll take it.  The burping and the farting and the cursing and the fighting got old.  I like sitting around fans that are more like me.  I could never relate to the alcoholics.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I dig the sarcasm, but the point is the beer lines are shorter, the stadium is smoke-free, there is less foul language, fewer fights.....the classic hallmarks of 1980's Shea Stadium and 1990's Giants Stadium fanbases are changing rapidly.

You know how people say there are too many yuppies on their phones in the Stadium?  That's true.  Well the upside to that is that they're not drinking and they're not smoking and they're actually paying attention to the game and thus they don't need a chant or a chant-leader to cue them when to sober up and pay attention.  Fans today aren't in it for the sports bar anymore; they're in it for the game.  If the collateral damage of that sea-change to the fans of today vs. the fans of Fireman Ed's era is that we don't do the silly spelling bee, I'll take it.  The burping and the farting and the cursing and the fighting got old.  I like sitting around fans that are more like me.  I could never relate to the alcoholics.

SAR I

You just contradicted yourself there bub...  The games are quiet because corps are holding weekly drawings for employees to use their tix.  

"And he broke that covenant.  To promote himself.  On national TV.  On Thanksgiving.  At the precise moment in time that every Jets fan was faced with the realization that the Ryan Jets were over and we weren't going to see the playoffs for a decade or more.  Waits for the cue from the cameraman.  Children watching TV seeing the Jets mascot storm up the steps and out of MetLife Stadium, making a terrible night into an utter humiliation.  It's why he gets no applause on his so-called 'returns' to the stadium in recent years.  It's why the chant is dead and gone at the stadium except when some upper deck drunks want to feel young again.  It's why Firefraud is unwelcome as a spokesman for the team now, has been eased out in a very calculated manner by Jets brass.  We don't need a superfan with a point of view.  Like every other pro sports team, if we ever dip back in the mascot pool it'll be a paid performer in a costume with a foam head who is under contract to keep his mouth shut."~SAR I

^^^OMG is this real??? the children??? Fireman ed pretty much summed it up, F U Jets for giving me heartburn this thanksgiving. lol everyone in that building should have been some level of pissed by wasting their thanksgiving.

I have never met fireman ed but i have only heard good things about him personally.  Your soap box speech last page makes me wish he gets enshrined so you can move on.  

I went to MLB and NHL games mostly when i was a kid with my dad.  The drunken wise guys were a hoot, I can still remember some guy at the Nassau Colosseum kept yelling for Billy Smith to put down his book since all the action was at the other end of the rink most of the game. They left families alone but I could see them not accepting a know it all looking down on them. I think that might be the real issue here.  Either handle yourself or sit next to a security guard.

On another note, we should start a thread for the best heckling/other experience, drunk or sober, you have ever witnessed at a pro event.

Edited to cite SAR I's sad story

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

You just contradicted yourself there bub...  The games are quiet because corps are holding weekly drawings for employees to use their tix.

Yeah, because we haven't had a winning season in 7 years and it looks like we've got another 7 to go.  When we were an AFC elite team in 2010 and 2011 the stadium was packed, it was loud, and the fans were terrific.  Mainly because all the old-time season ticket holders who gave up their PSL-free seats in the upper deck by 2013 were still with us.  Remember?

^^^OMG is this real??? the children??? Fireman ed pretty much summed it up, F U Jets for giving me heartburn this thanksgiving. lol everyone in that building should have been some level of pissed by wasting their thanksgiving.

As a quiet fan, you, me, and anyone else in attendance could voice our displeasure.  But if you're the self-proclaimed #1 fan you don't wait for the end of a commercial break, see the camera pointed at you, and storm up the steps and have a hissy fit on national TV in front of millions of people.  At that moment we needed someone to help rally us, not abandon us.

I went to MLB and NHL games mostly when i was a kid with my dad.  The drunken wise guys were a hoot, I can still remember some guy at the Nassau Colosseum kept yelling for Billy Smith to put down his book since all the action was at the other end of the rink most of the game. They left families alone but I could see them not accepting a know it all looking down on them. I think that might be the real issue here.  Either handle yourself or sit next to a security guard.

Drunken louts are a thing of the past.  It's not 1987 anymore.  Walking around drunk doesn't make someone Fonzie. 

I have never met fireman ed but i have only heard good things about him personally.  Your soap box speech last page makes me wish he gets enshrined so you can move on.

Whether or not Firefraud is a "good guy" doesn't matter.  He accepted the role of "#1 fan mascot" and instead used it as a platform to criticize our owner and our fellow fans.  He's the Colin Kaepernick of team mascots.  Can't just be content with his good fortune.  Has to act like the "voice" of millions of people.  Why?  Because he sits on some dudes shoulders and waves his arms like a bird?

SAR I

On 8/17/2017 at 6:28 PM, SAR I said:

Fireman Ed is a candidate for Worst Fan In Jets History, not one of the best.

That guy waited until we were at our lowest moment since Kotite, on national TV, on a national holiday, then waited for the TV cameras to find him, and then stormed off causing an even greater humiliation for the team.

That guy is a bum.  I never want to see his face again let alone in some area honoring true fans, fans who stick with the team through good times and bad. 

SAR I

INteresting perspective. I never hated him I never really loved the "idea" and the whole buzz that the FO created around him. He was cool as the guy who started the chant organically. He was not cool as the team's ******* mascot. I blame the Jets more than Ed. 

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

INteresting perspective. I never hated him I never really loved the "idea" and the whole buzz that the FO created around him. He was cool as the guy who started the chant organically. He was not cool as the team's ******* mascot. I blame the Jets more than Ed. 

Ed didn't start the chant.  We were doing it at Shea long before Ed.  He wasn't the first at the Meadowlands either but he kept it going.  The chant took on a life of its own with the media.  Ed became the face of the chant.  Jets didn't promote it until years had passed 

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ed didn't start the chant.  We were doing it at Shea long before Ed.  He wasn't the first at the Meadowlands either but he kept it going.  The chant took on a life of its own with the media.  Ed became the face of the chant.  Jets didn't promote it until years had passed 

Right, which is what I was saying. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, because we haven't had a winning season in 7 years and it looks like we've got another 7 to go.  When we were an AFC elite team in 2010 and 2011 the stadium was packed, it was loud, and the fans were terrific.  Mainly because all the old-time season ticket holders who gave up their PSL-free seats in the upper deck by 2013 were still with us.  Remember?

As a quiet fan, you, me, and anyone else in attendance could voice our displeasure.  But if you're the self-proclaimed #1 fan you don't wait for the end of a commercial break, see the camera pointed at you, and storm up the steps and have a hissy fit on national TV in front of millions of people.  At that moment we needed someone to help rally us, not abandon us.

Drunken louts are a thing of the past.  It's not 1987 anymore.  Walking around drunk doesn't make someone Fonzie. 

Whether or not Firefraud is a "good guy" doesn't matter.  He accepted the role of "#1 fan mascot" and instead used it as a platform to criticize our owner and our fellow fans.  He's the Colin Kaepernick of team mascots.  Can't just be content with his good fortune.  Has to act like the "voice" of millions of people.  Why?  Because he sits on some dudes shoulders and waves his arms like a bird?

SAR I

The bigger the fan, the bigger the disgust when they are inept, poorly-run and do something dumb. I love my kids but I'm on them like white on rice whenever they foul up.

Archived