Winners and Losers from Jets Pre-Season Week 2

JetNation

IMG_0897.jpg

After another effort in which the Jets’ punchless offense showed little to no life, the defense had its share of quality moments, the list of “winners” is shorter than a Lachlan Edwards shanked punt.  So without any further ado…

Winners:

CB Dexter McDougle: 

Few players, (some could argue that no other player) on the Jets current roster have done more to secure a roster spot than McDougle, who continues to impress this pre-season.  Following several injury plagued and ineffective seasons as a pro, McDougle has been all over the field during training camp and now in both exhibition games, providing excellent coverage and picking up several pass break ups.  As we mentioned here, McDougle is having a stellar camp while Darryl Roberts’ roster spot could be in jeopardy.

OLB’s Josh Martin and Corey Lemonier:

After last week’s loss, we put injured linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin down on the losing side based on the ground that was being gained by Josh Martin, who had a strong showing in week one.  Now, we can add Corey Lemonier to that list as he and Martin both played well against Detroit with Lemonier coming away with a sack and an interception while Martin picked up a sack for the second week in a row as well as a forced fumble.  Still no word on when Mauldin is due back.

IMG_5063-300x228.jpg

Quarterback Bryce Petty seemed comfortable and confident in running John Morton’s offense.

QB Bryce Petty:

Whether it’s against second, third, fourth or fifth stringers, the job of an NFL quarterback is to deliver the ball on time and on target to its intended receiver.  Petty has been doing that fairly well throughout training camp, and it continued against the Lions.  Petty was 15 for 25 (62%) with several dropped passes, including one in the end zone to close out the contest.  With a better performance from TE Jordan Leggett, it wouldn’t be out of the question to suggest Petty would have had a pair of TD passes.

DL Claude Pelon:

Pelon didn’t show up on the stat sheet, but kudos to the second-year undrafted free agent for finding himself getting several reps with the first-team defensive line after a standout performance last week against the Titans.  As was the case with fellow lineman Lawrence Thomas last season, Pelon is making a push to stick with the team when rosters are cut down to 53 players in a few weeks.

Losers:

QB Christian Hackenberg:

Whether or not you want to put Hackenberg’s performance on the quarterback, the offensive line, the receivers or the coaching staff, the bottom line at this point is that he has now played roughly one full game of pre-season football and has yet to orchestrate a touchdown drive.

Hackenberg got zero help from his offensive line and receivers, but his failure to set up his protection adequately almost got him killed in the first quarter, and when the rare opportunity of an open receiver presented itself, Hackenberg came up small.

The O-line:

It’s impossible to pick on any one player here.  As a group, the Jets offensive line was terrible in the first half, failing to give Hackenberg any time to throw, or running back Bilal Powell much room to work with.  There was some juggling of the line-up by Todd Bowles, but this unit has to do better than what they showed on Saturday.

TE Jordan Leggett:  

As previously mentioned, Leggett failed to come up with a late touchdown that would have just been window dressing as far as the final score was concerned, but it also would have shown some fight from the rookie who had a Bryce Petty pass right between his hands before allowing a defender to pull it away, turning what could’ve been a TD pass, in to a game-ending interception.

WR/PR Frankie Hammond:

The favorite to win the team’s open competition at punt returner, Hammond mishandled  a punt that went right through his arms.  Can’t have that.

S Jamal Adams:

It’s not exactly “panic button” material for the rookie safety, but who could blame some Jets fans for suffering from Calvin Pryor flashbacks as Adams missed several tackles in his most extensive action of the pre-season?  On at least three occasions, Adams had an opportunity to make a tackle in the vicinity of the line of scrimmage, only to dive at the ball carrier’s feet and come up with empty as the tackles were evaded.  Again, no need for alarm this early on, but not a strong showing from a defender whose reputation was that of a fundamentally sound player who rarely misses a tackle.

The Jets get back to work in Florham Park this week as they prepare to take on the Giants in the “nobody really cares” “snoopy” bowl at MetLife Stadium for what should be the most extensive action for the team’s starters before the season kicks off in Buffalo on August 3rd at 7pm.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
cjqTGS5ldo0

Click here to read the full story...

i have whom to add to your list:
winners: CB Justin Burris - made some plays and PDs on the 1st team D. enough so that QB Stafford stopped picking on him (on the TD drive?) and chose a different target, which brings me to my addition to the losers...

losers: CB Claiborne looked far from being a shutdown corner and more like a JAG. repeatedly taken advantage of by QB Stafford, Claiborne resurrected the nightmarish memories of CB Kyle Wilson. Claiborne's tackling was suspect too.

Winners: Mac and Bowles,for normalizing that the team needed to bottom out even worse than last year in order to facilitate a rebuild (that needed to begin in their third year).+ Jets fans that accept and enable failure.

Losers: Jets fans who think that's absurd.

The rebuild began in 2013 and was going as planned but Jets fans and media flew planes and put up billboards, then the '15 and '16 seasons happened and it set us back 2/3 years. We should be at a point now where we've already developed a core of young players and is now maybe a piece or two from competing for a playoff spot instead we're doing this. Better late than never I guess. 

44 minutes ago, david from haifa said:

i have whom to add to your list:
winners: CB Justin Burris - made some plays and PDs on the 1st team D. enough so that QB Stafford stopped picking on him (on the TD drive?) and chose a different target, which brings me to my addition to the losers...

losers: CB Claiborne looked far from being a shutdown corner and more like a JAG. repeatedly taken advantage of by QB Stafford, Claiborne resurrected the nightmarish memories of CB Kyle Wilson. Claiborne's tackling was suspect too.

good point.  it didn't look like claiborne is much better than revis at this point.

23 minutes ago, August said:

The rebuild began in 2013 and was going as planned but Jets fans and media flew planes and put up billboards, then the '15 and '16 seasons happened and it set us back 2/3 years. We should be at a point now where we've already developed a core of young players and is now maybe a piece or two from competing for a playoff spot instead we're doing this. Better late than never I guess. 

maybe but you can't have a rebuild by missing on 9 of 12 draft picks and whiffing so badly in the first and second rounds.  and in all honesty this whole rebuilding process goes back to tanny for again missing on the first through third round picks.  mac is doing better but hack now looks more like a head scratcher than before.  at least petty showed he can execute the plays.

37 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

why is leggett a loser, he had 3 defenders on him, the pass was up for grabs.  how about criticizing clayborne who gave up the only td basically by himself with his lax coverage.

At the end game play he got both hands on the ball a split second before the defender ripped it away for the pick.  Can't quite call it a drop, but a big guy like him has to make that catch.

Earlier in the quarter, on the field goal drive, Petty threw a ball into the endzone that went through a tight window, hit him in the hands, hit his chest, then hit the ground.  it was a clear dropped TD.

When a receiver should catch 2 TD's and comes up empty he's on the down side of the game

Just now, flgreen said:

At the end game play he got both hands on the ball a split second before the defender ripped it away for the pick.  Can't quite call it a drop, but a big guy like him has to make that catch.

Earlier in the quarter, on the field goal drive, Petty threw a ball into the endzone that went through a tight window, hit him in the hands, hit his chest, then hit the ground.  it was a clear dropped TD.

When a receiver should catch 2 TD's and comes up empty he's on the down side of the game

i only saw the end of the game play, didn't know he dropped another one.  not good.

ADAMS? I was specifically told in another thread that his missed tackles were ok because some other guy blew his assignment. Not making that up. Jets fans now think missing tackles is ok if another player blows an assignment. Seriously said it was a great job by Adams to get a hand on the guy. This is how low expectations have become for this team. 

"Well, they got a hand on the guy. Sure all 11 players missed the tackle, but they all got a hand on him."

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i only saw the end of the game play, didn't know he dropped another one.  not good.

Not terribly concerned, 2nd pre-season game etc, etc.  He did show an ability to get open during the game.  it was very frustrating.  If he had made both of those catches, he would have been one of the hero's of the game, and the whole board would be screaming for Petty to be announced starter LOL.  

Just now, flgreen said:

Not terribly concerned, 2nd pre-season game etc, etc.  He did show an ability to get open during the game.  it was very frustrating.  If he had made both of those catches, he would have been one of the hero's of the game, and the whole board would be screaming for Petty to be announced starter LOL.  

petty would have looked like crap if he had started the game too, the line did hack no favors.  the entire offense looked terrible in the first half.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

petty would have looked like crap if he had started the game too, the line did hack no favors.  the entire offense looked terrible in the first half.

The OL wasn't good, but Hack did Hack no favors either.  The Lions ran the same blitz that Hack got creamed on twice in the second half, Petty called an audible , and hit a 23 yard play up the left side line.

I don't care if either Hack or Petty start (they won't) just don't want to see Mc Cown.

Saturday Hack looked very bad, and Petty looked good 

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The OL wasn't good, but Hack did Hack no favors either.  The Lions ran the same blitz that Hack got creamed on twice in the second half, Petty called an audible , and hit a 23 yard play up the left side line.

I don't care if either Hack or Petty start (they won't) just don't want to see Mc Cown.

Saturday Hack looked very bad, and Petty looked good 

agreed.  and part of the 'invisible' blame should go to the wrs who weren't getting separation, and i'd like to see hansen and stewart play, not marshall and peake.  play the guys who can run routes and catch, talent over experience.

3 hours ago, August said:

No the 2013, and 2014 draft set this team back to where we are today.

While Petty most definitely looked better than Hack, it's really just the desperation of being Jets fans that causes the sudden surge of praise going his way after almost everyone was done with him after last year.  When you need to make a list of excuses for why if all these other things were different he would have had a good game, then he didn't have a good game.  Hack was awful, Petty was nothing more than mediocre.  Don't get me wrong, it sucks and not what I want it to be at all, but the sudden love for Petty is nothing more than a matter of what we want, as opposed to what is really happening.

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Why isn't Petty getting legit reps?   He seems far and away over Hack.

Just my opinion.  I don't think Petty fits the mold they want for a QB.  Petty has a gunslinger mentality.  He likes to throw up-field and challenge the DB's.  It seems like the Jets want to run a very short passing game, dinking and dunking.  Using their RB's in the short passing game as if it were  a part of the running game.  Petty wants to get chunks.  

Like I said just my opinion.  Can't think of any other reason he's not getting more reps in practice if it's supposed to be an open competition.  (It's not)

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While Petty most definitely looked better than Hack, it's really just the desperation of being Jets fans that causes the sudden surge of praise going his way after almost everyone was done with him after last year.  When you need to make a list of excuses for why if all these other things were different he would have had a good game, then he didn't have a good game.  Hack was awful, Petty was nothing more than mediocre.  Don't get me wrong, it sucks and not what I want it to be at all, but the sudden love for Petty is nothing more than a matter of what we want, as opposed to what is really happening.

Come on most folks out here understand that Petty's upside might be a career backup.

What those who are pointing out that Petty, if he is outplaying Hack, should get reps and a chance to start because all starting McCown gets is another chance to do Fitz part deux all over again, and that would be a disaster.  

That is we would not have further developed either young QBs and potentially knock ourselves out of the running for a franchise QB in next years draft.  Ughgghg 

Imo that is why folks are saying give Petty a chance not because they somehow believe he is the second coming of Montana.  

19 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

No the 2013, and 2014 draft set this team back to where we are today.

Not true. What set this team back was forgoing the rebuild; in favor of high priced late prime veterans instead of developing younger players at those positions. Even if those drafts were "failures" (we didn't do any better or worse than most teams did in those years) why not give the gm an opportunity to rectify his mistakes (see the Raiders GM who had a few early shaky drafts before he began hitting on picks later). The '13 draft gave us Milliner who looked promising at times but couldn't stay healthy. Sheldon who has been good for us, Smith who struggled but showed some potential, Winters who got better every year. And Aboushi who looked promising but was cut for no reason. That's not that bad of a first draft. Second draft gave us Pryor who had an up and down rookie year but showed promise, then he had a good second year, then struggled in year 3 but then again the majority of the team struggled that year. Amaro who looked solid as a rookie TE, before missing his second season with an injury. McDougle who missed his rookie season due to injury who has since become a solid rotation player. Ijalana who's still on the team and has a chance to be a starter this year. Enunwa who has improved every year and Reilly who was a solid special teams guy for a few years. Those drafts were not that bad. Especially when you look at other teams drafts from '14 and seen how they drafted worse than us. 

Just now, August said:

Not true. What set this team back was forgoing the rebuild; in favor of high priced late prime veterans instead of developing younger players at those positions. Even if those drafts were "failures" (we didn't do any better or worse than most teams did in those years) why not give the gm an opportunity to rectify his mistakes (see the Raiders GM who had a few early shaky drafts before he began hitting on picks later). The '13 draft gave us Milliner who looked promising at times but couldn't stay healthy. Sheldon who has been good for us, Smith who struggled but showed some potential, Winters who got better every year. And Aboushi who looked promising but was cut for no reason. That's not that bad of a first draft. Second draft gave us Pryor who had an up and down rookie year but showed promise, then he had a good second year, then struggled in year 3 but then again the majority of the team struggled that year. Amaro who looked solid as a rookie TE, before missing his second season with an injury. McDougle who missed his rookie season due to injury who has since become a solid rotation player. Ijalana who's still on the team and has a chance to be a starter this year. Enunwa who has improved every year and Reilly who was a solid special teams guy for a few years. Those drafts were not that bad. Especially when you look at other teams drafts from '14 and seen how they drafted worse than us. 

it's not any one player.  the problem is, this team hasn't taken an offensive player in round 1 of the draft since sanchez (next year will 'mark' 10 years), and all the 2nd round desperation offensive picks have sucked.  so the jets have not had a meaningful contribution to offense from the first two rounds of the nfl draft in over a decade.  that's why this team is where it is.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

ADAMS? I was specifically told in another thread that his missed tackles were ok because some other guy blew his assignment. Not making that up. Jets fans now think missing tackles is ok if another player blows an assignment. Seriously said it was a great job by Adams to get a hand on the guy. This is how low expectations have become for this team. 

"Well, they got a hand on the guy. Sure all 11 players missed the tackle, but they all got a hand on him."

Your almost as bad as the hack writers twisting peoples words into your agenda. What the poster was saying is that Adams played the correct coverage and forced the opponent inside where the second defender should have cleaned him up if in position. The fact that Adams got a hand on him has nothing to do with the missed tackle on this play.

31 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Come on most folks out here understand that Petty's upside might be a career backup.

What those who are pointing out that Petty, if he is outplaying Hack, should get reps and a chance to start because all starting McCown gets is another chance to do Fitz part deux all over again, and that would be a disaster.  

That is we would not have further developed either young QBs and potentially knock ourselves out of the running for a franchise QB in next years draft.  Ughgghg 

Imo that is why folks are saying give Petty a chance not because they somehow believe he is the second coming of Montana.  

That's my point.   If you are going to have a competition, have a fair one.  

I have no illusions about Petty, he's not going to 12 pro bowls.  But if he is out playing Hack, why isn't he getting a legit shot?

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's not any one player.  the problem is, this team hasn't taken an offensive player in round 1 of the draft since sanchez (next year will 'mark' 10 years), and all the 2nd round desperation offensive picks have sucked.  so the jets have not had a meaningful contribution to offense from the first two rounds of the nfl draft in over a decade.  that's why this team is where it is.

There's not one specific reason there's a combination of issues. One of the issues is that the Jets wasted the last 3 out 5 years on a facade trying to be competitive. After the 2011 season they should've torn everything down and began the rebuild in 2012, use free agency and add a decent receiver (not Chaz Schillings etc) to go along with Holmes, Kerley and Keller, draft Jeffery instead of Hill and give Mark an opportunity to cement himself as the guy, while you get rid of older players and start developing some young players. Instead they bring in Tebow and tried to keep a window open that was closed in 2010. Then they start the rebuild in 2013 by getting rid of high priced vets and letting Revis walk while only bringing in low risk high reward players and other teams cast offs, they overachieve and go 8-8. They continue the same process in '14 low risk high reward players and cast offs while mainly focusing on developing young players. Somehow this led to billboards and airplanes. They fire the entire regime bring in Mac and Bowles who trade for older players and signs veterans thus ending the rebuild and instead looked for a quick fix retooling, we win some games and go 10-6 while missing the playoffs. Then they doubled down for '16 bringing in more veterans while allowing themselves to get bullied by the fans and media forcing them to resign the vet QB. Then of course predictably the bottom fell out, and now here we are.  

24 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I get the concept of giving Petty a chance, but my point is more related to the sudden surge of talking about his supposed talent.  Trying to cite Petty's performance in that game as a good one is grasping at straws, and not based in reality.  When it involves talking about the supposed credit he should be given for throwing into triple coverage at the end of the game, it's hard to take serious.  Considering the game was already over, I don't blame Petty at all for making that throw, but it's by no means deserving of any praise.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no interest in watching McCown this year, but if the Jets are convinced that both of the young QBs are absolute garbage, they'll be using McCown, not for him being any sort of solution at the QB position, but for the sole reason of him being considered the "best" means to evaluate the young offensive players at other positions.  None of us have to like that, but it's still a very real possibility.  Ideally, either one of Hack or Petty can do enough to provide that, while also giving us a look at one or both of them, but that's far from a certainty.

Archived