Join me in supporting Bryce Petty

joewilly12

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Good point.  But this isn't a normal year.  The decision-making has been bizarre, if not downright imbecilic, when viewed from the outside.  Nothing they do would surprise me in that game.  

They did put Sanchez in that one year.......

I would give the whole game to hack and put McCown and Petty on the shelf

Either of those guys gets hurt and they need to waste time and effort getting a QB in here

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Joejet said:

I'm in, I would like to see Petty get his shot, if he makes it great, if not at least we will know.  Hack isn't ready and McCown is old.

I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear the discussions on what to do going forward between the coaches and Macc.  I don't know if it would be more comedy, or tragedy.

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

A number one to me is at the very least, and for the most part, taking you to the playoffs  almost year in and year out and eventually getting you in and hopefully winning the SB of course there are some exceptions. Sanchez had very good O players in front of and around him the D was the weaker phase at that point relatively speaking. 

Very few QBs ever make it to a SB that is a steep requirement

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

according to the ny post it's a sprain not a tear.  but they still plan on playing him next week.  are they kidding?  do they want a tear?

If the Jets do, they are either trading Petty or starting him; nothing else would make any sense.

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If the Jets do, they are either trading Petty or starting him; nothing else would make any sense.

Have you seen the Venn Diagram that shows the overlap of Sense and the Jets this preseason?

jets1.png

IF Petty recovers in the 1.5 to 2 week time frame that a grade 1 MCL sprain takes to heal on the norm, then IMO Petty should be the starting QB, and would be able to take all the first team reps in practice with a knee brace, and no contact leading up to the game Week 1.

I think Petty should start not only because of performance, but also because as this quote from Bowles kind of says that the 53 players seem to be in the Petty camp, and that is really big deal, the main reason Pete Carroll started Wilson over Flynn in 2012, he knew the pulse of his locker room, and saw they wanted Wilson to start, and were willing to go to war with Wilson, and I think I already posted in this thread, or another, but I will say it I believe the 53 are willing to go to war with Petty more then McCown, and no doubt over Hack, and this quote by Bowles after the game speaks to this IMO.

"Petty played well in the second half,” Bowles said of his third-year passer who finished 15 of 18 for 250 yards. “He came in, made some throws and he rallied the troops. They rallied around him and he had a good ball game.” 

So neither outcome will surprise me because Bowles appears confused himself about what he is doing (which may be due to external pressures from GM or ownership).  But based on what we've seen, it would be very frustrating to see McCown trot out there if Petty is cleared to play.  We may get the "we want to give Petty one more week to heal" excuse in week 1 but then what happens if McCown is competent.  The whole situation is a massive goat orgy.  Welcome to the 2017 Jets.

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

My guess is Petty may have jumped over Hackenberg to #2; McCown starts the season as #1. We'll see.

Starting McCown over Petty if Petty is healthy is a waste of time, and IF Bowles does this he should be fired on the spot.  I get starting McCown over Hack to start the season Hack obviously needs more time, he just isn't ready to play in an NFL game, but Petty has started in 4 NFL games, and even thou it is VS the 2's, and 3's he looks like he is capable of running an offense in the NFL without having to call TO every other play, or miss easy basic pre snap adjustments.  We all know McCown can do this stuff, but we also know he is 38 years old, and a proven loser while Petty IMO has a floor of McCown, and a ceiling that might be a pipe dream for him to reach, but if he does I think it's most def Andy Daltonish, but hopefully a more clutch Andy Dalton who can win in big games.

14 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear the discussions on what to do going forward between the coaches and Macc.  I don't know if it would be more comedy, or tragedy.

Would probably be like one of the great conversations between Cliff and Norm at their spot at the bar in Cheers!

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Starting McCown over Petty if Petty is healthy is a waste of time, and IF Bowles does this he should be fired on the spot.  I get starting McCown over Hack to start the season Hack obviously needs more time, he just isn't ready to play in an NFL game, but Petty has started in 4 NFL games, and even thou it is VS the 2's, and 3's he looks like he is capable of running an offense in the NFL without having to call TO every other play, or miss easy basic pre snap adjustments.  We all know McCown can do this stuff, but we also know he is 38 years old, and a proven loser while Petty IMO has a floor of McCown, and a ceiling that might be a pipe dream for him to reach, but if he does I think it's most def Andy Daltonish, but hopefully a more clutch Andy Dalton who can win in big games.

Bowles could give too sh*ts about next years draft position. Whoever he starts will be the guy he thinks can win more games & in his mind I'm sure that's the jag vet McCown.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So neither outcome will surprise me because Bowles appears confused himself about what he is doing (which may be due to external pressures from GM or ownership).  But based on what we've seen, it would be very frustrating to see McCown trot out there if Petty is cleared to play.  We may get the "we want to give Petty one more week to heal" excuse in week 1 but then what happens if McCown is competent.  The whole situation is a massive goat orgy.  Welcome to the 2017 Jets.

I think you are absolutely right. I am all in on Petty starting but they will use the injury to name JM the starter.

I like Petty. I've supported him from the start. However I would have liked to see him against a first team defense in preseason. He's put up some good numbers against the scrubs. I do like his style. Favre like gunslinger. Can he get better? Sure. Is he too old? I'd say no. He could easily play another 10-12 years in the league. The main issue right now with the Jets is the O-Line. They are just awful. Reminds me of an old bucket I blasted with my shotgun. Just a sieve for defenses to run through. No QB will be successful with the line as it is today and hard to gauge Petty's ceiling at this time IMO. I think the QB'S are gonna get beat up pretty bad this year with all the look out blocks I've seen so far. When you got 300# linemen, wicked fast LBers and safeties coming at you from every angle it's hard to settle into any kind of rhythm.

By the way a look out block is when you totally miss your assignment on the line and all you can do is yell, LOOK OUT!!!!

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Bowles could give too sh*ts about next years draft position. Whoever he starts will be the guy he thinks can win more games & in his mind I'm sure that's the jag vet McCown.

That's why I said he should be fired now if starts McCown, and promote one of the coaches on board with the right thing to do.

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

according to the ny post it's a sprain not a tear.  but they still plan on playing him next week.  are they kidding?  do they want a tear?

Once again the NYJ beat writers miss some important context.

Bryce said he plans on playing on Thursday. The coach didn't say that. 

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That's why I said he should be fired now if starts McCown, and promote one of the coaches on board with the right thing to do.

Even if Bowles starts McCown in Buffalo if Petty moved ahead of Hackenberg on the depth chart, which I'm sure he did, Petty will get plenty of starts this season.  IMO Bowles should not get fired this season because it's obvious they have chosen to rebuild and there is not an expectation to win.  Personally, I would have liked to have seen Petty play against the Giants starters, but he was not given that opportunity. Petty has put up good numbers, but they all came against backups and players that will be cut.  We will hear who the starter is very soon.

9 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Even if Bowles starts McCown in Buffalo if Petty moved ahead of Hackenberg on the depth chart, which I'm sure he did, Petty will get plenty of starts this season.  IMO Bowles should not get fired this season because it's obvious they have chosen to rebuild and there is not an expectation to win.  Personally, I would have liked to have seen Petty play against the Giants starters, but he was not given that opportunity. Petty has put up good numbers, but they all came against backups and players that will be cut.  We will hear who the starter is very soon.

Petty played in 4 regular season games last year, and won 1 less game then McCown did in his last 24 starts what's the issue?  He has tape vs 1st team defenses in games that mean something, and games where they actually game plan, yes they were not spectacular, but neither is McCown's tape from the last 3 seasons, at least Petty has a chance to improve, McCown is who he is there is no chance of him getting better.

What time does Bowles speak with the media today?  And is there any chance he names a starter today?  He originally said he would today, but Thursday said maybe Tuesday. maybe Wednesday also pretty much giving the old FU to everyone.

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Petty played in 4 regular season games last year, and won 1 less game then McCown did in his last 24 starts what's the issue?  He has tape vs 1st team defenses in games that mean something, and games where they actually game plan, yes they were not spectacular, but neither is McCown's tape from the last 3 seasons, at least Petty has a chance to improve, McCown is who he is there is no chance of him getting better.

I would start Petty also, I'm just guessing that McCown will be named the starter.  Either way, I doubt McCown will stay the starter very long.  This season is about taking inventory of our younger players. Petty has earned a look by performing well in the opportunities he was given this preseason.

20 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't think Bowles will be judged on wins.  For me, it's about how he manages the season, considering the unusually challenging conditions.  So far, he seems to lack any specific roadmap, just making it up as he goes.  He was quoted in NYDN as saying they considered giving Petty the start last weekend but since he got 4 starts last season, they felt it was better to get another look at Hack.  Maybe that makes sense to them, but judging Petty on those starts in a different offensive system and different players seems completely baffling.  He is evasive with the media, but not in the BB way that says "I am not telling you what I know" but more in the "I don't know myself" way.  I get no sense that he is 'in command' of the situation.   Could you imagine Andy Reid or Bill Parcells running the show this way? 

I liked Bowles when they hired him but he has lost my support at the end of last season and again this preseason.  I'm ready to move on any time.

20 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

What time does Bowles speak with the media today?  And is there any chance he names a starter today?  He originally said he would today, but Thursday said maybe Tuesday. maybe Wednesday also pretty much giving the old FU to everyone.

Today is the day he has been promising to name the week 1 starter.

drum roll please!!!!

Just now, Lupz27 said:

What time is this so called press conference?

idk, I just remember reading in a couple of places quoting bowles that he would name the week 1 starter on the monday after the giants game.  Idk if he has a regular press conference every monday during TC or not.

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

idk, I just remember reading in a couple of places quoting bowles that he would name the week 1 starter on the monday after the giants game.  Idk if he has a regular press conference every monday during TC or not.

He did, BUT this past Thursday when asked if he was still going to name his Starter on Monday he answered could be Monday, maybe Tuesday, or maybe Wednesday basically being a dick, and saying FU, I get wanting to dick around the media, but the fans being dragged through this is BS, and the players not knowing yet is BS.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He did, BUT this past Thursday when asked if he was still going to name his Starter on Monday he answered could be Monday, maybe Tuesday, or maybe Wednesday basically being a dick, and saying FU, I get wanting to dick around the media, but the fans being dragged through this is BS, and the players not knowing yet is BS.

that back tracking muddafukka!!!! 

*reaches for pitchfork in shed*

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't think Bowles will be judged on wins.  For me, it's about how he manages the season, considering the unusually challenging conditions.  So far, he seems to lack any specific roadmap, just making it up as he goes.  He was quoted in NYDN as saying they considered giving Petty the start last weekend but since he got 4 starts last season, they felt it was better to get another look at Hack.  Maybe that makes sense to them, but judging Petty on those starts in a different offensive system and different players seems completely baffling.  He is evasive with the media, but not in the BB way that says "I am not telling you what I know" but more in the "I don't know myself" way.  I get no sense that he is 'in command' of the situation.   Could you imagine Andy Reid or Bill Parcells running the show this way? 

I liked Bowles when they hired him but he has lost my support at the end of last season and again this preseason.  I'm ready to move on any time.

I liked your viewpoint on Bowles and the media. 

May not be true, but he comes across the same way to me also.

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I can see both sides of this one. Petty has earned work with the starters based on his performance against backups, but they're also clearly invested in developing Hackenberg this year. I'm hoping that's because they genuinely see something in the kid and not just because they spent a second rounder on him. Petty's injury is unfortunate, because the last preseason game would've been a perfect opportunity to give Petty the first quarter against maybe some starters, and then Hack the rest of the game to (hopefully) build some confidence before the season. As it is, I'd give Hack the whole game. Or, should Hackenberg perform surprisingly well, let McCown get some rust removing reps in the second half. 

I'm just encouraged that they've seemed to move on from McCown to focus on the two younger QBs, both of which I expect to see start during the course of the season. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I can see both sides of this one. Petty has earned work with the starters based on his performance against backups, but they're also clearly invested in developing Hackenberg this year. I'm hoping that's because they genuinely see something in the kid and not just because they spent a second rounder on him. Petty's injury is unfortunate, because the last preseason game would've been a perfect opportunity to give Petty the first quarter against maybe some starters, and then Hack the rest of the game to (hopefully) build some confidence before the season. As it is, I'd give Hack the whole game. Or, should Hackenberg perform surprisingly well, let McCown get some rust removing reps in the second half. 

I'm just encouraged that they've seemed to move on from McCown to focus on the two younger QBs, both of which I expect to see start during the course of the season. 

It amazes me that Cimini is "concerned" about McCown not getting reps. WHO ******* CARES

My question to the Bryce brigade, and don't get me wrong I hope he does well & thought he deserved a shot against the 1s this preseason, is if Hackenberg absolutely kills it in the 4th pre-season game against 2-3 stringers how is it any different than what Petty did? And does that change your mind about which one should be backup? 

Given his age and his performance in preseason, he is our best option at QB moving forward.

I don't care if it was against 2's and 3's ... my eyes tell me he's light years ahead of Hack. 

I support him and have from the start.

Let him play this year, and if he fails, draft a QB in a rich draft next April.

Archived