Rex rips Leon: Ryan Not

F.Chowds

I've never seen a team so quickly turn on a fan favorite.

What the hell is Rex doing? Has he seen Tomlinson footage recently?

If the Jets let Leon walk, fine. But they better draft a back early then. Tomlinson isnt the answer to anything.

I've never seen a team so quickly turn on a fan favorite.

What the hell is Rex doing? Has he seen Tomlinson footage recently?

If the Jets let Leon walk, fine. But they better draft a back early then. Tomlinson isnt the answer to anything.

I doubt he'll walk...probably gimp himself on that cracked leg...

Rex is stating the obvious. Leon should be working out right now as he is not dealing from a position of strength, coming off an injury and acting like he is coming off a great season. This is a verbal kick in the ass and hopefully Leon pays attention as I would love to see him back to being his old self next year in a Jets uniform. If he continues to stay away, wave goodbye.

I love the thread title, implying that the Jets aren't comfortable with Leon on the field in a Jets uniform. Rex was most likely responding to a question about whether Leon could win the starting job. And any Jets fan worth a squat knows the truth behind that.

Quotes out of context - people eat that crap up all day long.

Jets BlogReport: Rex not happy Leon's training away from Jets

| More Print

2:56 PM, March 25, 2010 ι POST STAFF REPORT

A slimmed-down Rex Ryan can still throw his weight around when it comes to Leon Washington.

Days after the Jets coach said Washington was merely a third-down back and kick returner rather than a focal point of the Jets offense, Ryan reiterated that today and chastised Washington for skipping the team's voluntary workouts while recovering from a broken leg and surgery.

According to NJ.com, Ryan said, "He

Rex is stating the obvious. Leon should be working out right now as he is not dealing from a position of strength, coming off an injury and acting like he is coming off a great season. This is a verbal kick in the ass and hopefully Leon pays attention as I would love to see him back to being his old self next year in a Jets uniform. If he continues to stay away, wave goodbye.

Leon is my favorite athlete in any sport. Kills me to say it but i think the second rounder would be of better value than my favorite player.

Doubt Leon is a Jet for too much longer, I really do hate the fact that LT is going to have a seemingly significant role.

As you know, I have high hopes for LT. Honestly he's way better than TJ even now, so if TJ can get 1400 and was it 12 TDs behind this line, LT should be able to get something similar with less chances. LT absolutely has a nose for the end zone, if that's the one thing Greene picks up from LT we are in for some great things.

I still see Greene as a Marion Barber type back that simply can not play a full season and carry a full load, and loses a ton of effectiveness if he gets overexposed. A back like LT is a great complement to that, because he can take the load when needed, and otherwise can complement well and not cause a distraction. LT is also a very good pass blocker and you can have him back there for 3rd downs.

Leon really doesn't pick up the blitz too well, he usually seems to just get thrown aside honestly, dunno that he'd make a good 3rd down back in the backfield.

I love the thread title, implying that the Jets aren't comfortable with Leon on the field in a Jets uniform. Rex was most likely responding to a question about whether Leon could win the starting job. And any Jets fan worth a squat knows the truth behind that.

Quotes out of context - people eat that crap up all day long.

People will believe anything. You could tell people you have friggin' brain cancer and they will believe you.

As you know, I have high hopes for LT. Honestly he's way better than TJ even now, so if TJ can get 1400 and was it 12 TDs behind this line, LT should be able to get something similar with less chances. LT absolutely has a nose for the end zone, if that's the one thing Greene picks up from LT we are in for some great things.

I still see Greene as a Marion Barber type back that simply can not play a full season and carry a full load, and loses a ton of effectiveness if he gets overexposed. A back like LT is a great complement to that, because he can take the load when needed, and otherwise can complement well and not cause a distraction. LT is also a very good pass blocker and you can have him back there for 3rd downs.

Leon really doesn't pick up the blitz too well, he usually seems to just get thrown aside honestly, dunno that he'd make a good 3rd down back in the backfield.

Jones right now is better than LT, imo.

LT hasnt broken a tackle in 3 years. Jones is quicker, faster and has just as good as a nose for the endzone.

Neither are starting backs anymore, but right now I'd say Jones is the better player.

In the playoff game, I was begging for the Chargers to give the ball to LT.

Jones right now is better than LT, imo.

LT hasnt broken a tackle in 3 years. Jones is quicker, faster and has just as good as a nose for the endzone.

Neither are starting backs anymore, but right now I'd say Jones is the better player.

In the playoff game, I was begging for the Chargers to give the ball to LT.

Wow.

Jones also played in a run-first offense behind an O-line with three current Pro-Bowlers, one former Pro-Bowler and maybe the single most underrated guard in the NFL.

LT played in a pass first offense behind a line that saw run blocking as a necessary evil, not a source of pride.

Comparing TJ and LT the last couple of years is like comparing apples to snow tires.

Wow.

Jones also played in a run-first offense behind an O-line with three current Pro-Bowlers, one former Pro-Bowler and maybe the single most underrated guard in the NFL.

LT played in a pass first offense behind a line that saw run blocking as a necessary evil, not a source of pride.

Comparing TJ and LT the last couple of years is like comparing apples to snow tires.

Im simply comparing how they ran. Jones had more speed, more moves(which is scary) and just as good as a nose for the endzone.

LT is finished. Regardless of how good our oline is. He is 3 yards and down. What made him great was his vision and cutting on a dime and hitting the hole. He lost that cutback speed.

He was never a guy that was breaking tackles.

yeah, 2 1000 rushers in 2010 would absolutely suck.

what makes u so certain that broken down LT is goin to sniff 1000 yards this season? Dude rushed for 700 yards last season.

I dont like the fact tghat LT is seemingly going to get more touches than Leon, it makes no sense at all.

It hurts, because Leon was probably the fans' favorite player. It seems like everyone is against him for getting hurt. That wasn't his fault. But what was his fault was not accepting that contract we offered him.

I hate to say it, but if we can get a 2nd for him, I'll do it. This year's draft is deep as ****.

seems to me Ryans concern has a lot to do with Leons injury and how well he's recuperating from what could have been a career-ender. Leon staying away from Florham Park only exascerbates that concern. Could it be LW is staying away because he's not the LW he once was before the injury and showing up damaged would limit his leverage in contract negotiations?

what makes u so certain that broken down LT is goin to sniff 1000 yards this season? Dude rushed for 700 yards last season.

I dont like the fact tghat LT is seemingly going to get more touches than Leon, it makes no sense at all.

He ran behind a line that was about as effective blocking for the run than 5 orange road cones would be. He also ran for a team that really had no interest in rushing the ball.

Leon Washington is coming off a MAJOR MAJOR injury. What do you expect Rex to say, "We want to give him the rock 30 times a game?" He's not going to be fully ready by game 1...

Ryan is sending a pretty big message here. Alvin Keels are you listening?

This.

Whether or not Rex believes what he is currently saying about Leon Washington, he is clearly making the point that the team is prepared to move on without him if he doesn't get on board.

I like Leon Washington and even with the leg injury, I believe he can return to form. That being said, between the injury and his age, I cannot see any team (be it the Jets or any team that was to sign him) giving him the type of deal that he turned down last year. If he re-signs, I'll be excited to see him for another year in Jet green, but if somebody does sign him, I think you just have to wish him luck (unless its the Patriots that sign him lol) and take the 2nd round pick.

Where do you get he is ripping Leon with those statements? All I see is a coach saying we are going to be cautious with a guy coming back of a break like that. He will be used in 3rd down and return situations, and if everything holds up there, then maybe they will expand the role. Not exactly ripping a guy IMO. Rex is doing what any smart coach would do with someone returning like that.

This is the one thing like this that's ever seemed to work out right for the Jets. We offered him a more then fair deal, he wanted to play out the final year(with a high likelihood of an uncapped year). Alvin Keels is an idiot and has pretty much screwed any chance of Leon landing a big time deal. Leon still has a place in the league, Keels I wish didn't. He's a horrible agent. Not that I feel to bad for for his clients since they're hiring him based on nothing other then he's 29 and black. Just hire a Jew for Christ sake.

Whats with the dramatic headlines??? Read the article, Rex isnt bashing LW. It sounded pretty legit to me, LW had a pretty bad injury and all Rex is saying is that he doesnt expect LW to come back from that injury and be an every down back.

Yeah, that's pretty much all I read into it as well.

He's not going to rush him, and play it by ear in regards to the injury. How he responds, physically, will dictate his carries.

I also agree with Matt. TJ is a better player than LT right now. I understand the o-line argument, but TJ brought leadership to the table as well. LT has never shown that level of dedication and commitment, imo. TJ is tough as nails too.

I'd rather have TJ than LT, but, neither is the future. And we don't know yet it if Greene is.

I feel LT for TJ is a step back, not forward, but time will tell.

RB was a position that I did not feel was a must upgrade last year, now it's in question. We'll see.

Archived