Shaun Ellis offered 1 yr deal

visajets

As per rotoworld.com

The Jets have offered free agent DE Shaun Ellis a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum.

That would be $910,000. Ellis' agent says the 11-year veteran is "weighing options." Entering his age-34 season, Ellis would provide the Jets with some valuable insurance along the defensive line if rookie Muhammad Wilkerson isn't ready to go.

As per rotoworld.com

The Jets have offered free agent DE Shaun Ellis a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum.

That would be $910,000. Ellis' agent says the 11-year veteran is "weighing options." Entering his age-34 season, Ellis would provide the Jets with some valuable insurance along the defensive line if rookie Muhammad Wilkerson isn't ready to go.

That's good news.

Glad to hear it. Although I will say, I'm surprised Ellis hasn't garnered more interest on the open market. I know he's getting up there in years, but the guy still had a solid season last year and is a veteran presence with plenty of experience. Not that I'm complaining that he hasn't signed elsewhere, as if the Jets can bring him back at the vet minimum I'll be thrilled, just a little surprised is all.

Please come back!!!!!!! And seriously, Mike, can we bump this up to and even 1M or what?

No. They can only pay him $920,000. Every Jet has to make the same as their uniform #. It is the new Plax rule.

Awful. Just awful. I'm getting you some new writers for Christmas this year.

I kind of liked it. I am not backing down from it.

I am glad they let Jason Taylor go, no way was he worth 990,000.

Please come back!!!!!!! And seriously, Mike, can we bump this up to and even 1M or what?

First thing I thought, too. He's been a career Jet, and was a huge part of our victory over the Pats in the playoffs. Can we do a little better than the vet minimum? Come on Mike, I appreciate all you do but this guy deserves better. Plus, if he gets offended and turns to the Pats, I will be BEYOND pissed.

He deserves more than this.

He's being brought back as a rotation guy, not necessarily a starter. He gets paid $920,000 to work out, be a mentor, and play maybe 10-15 snaps per game. How many backup 3-4 DEs get paid more?

Not saying we don't love the guy, but it's not as black and white as some of you are making it out to be. There's a reason the vet minimum for a guy with his years of service is so high and this is it.

First thing I thought, too. He's been a career Jet, and was a huge part of our victory over the Pats in the playoffs. Can we do a little better than the vet minimum? Come on Mike, I appreciate all you do but this guy deserves better. Plus, if he gets offended and turns to the Pats, I will be BEYOND pissed.

Fwiw I'm with you. Not saying to break the bank but could they have at least rounded up as an act of good faith.

He's being brought back as a rotation guy, not necessarily a starter. He gets paid $920,000 to work out, be a mentor, and play maybe 10-15 snaps per game. How many backup 3-4 DEs get paid more?

Not saying we don't love the guy, but it's not as black and white as some of you are making it out to be. There's a reason the vet minimum for a guy with his years of service is so high and this is it.

Would it break the bank to offer him $1 million. ;)

As per rotoworld.com

LOL

If he is considering the vet minimum, what other options could he have? I hope he comes back i like Ellis. I'm pretty surprised no one offered him more. He had a good season last year

LOL

If he is considering the vet minimum, what other options could he have? I hope he comes back i like Ellis. I'm pretty surprised no one offered him more. He had a good season last year

I know player loyalty is a rarity in the NFL and sport in general, but you'd have to think after spending his entire career with the Jets, now with arguably their best shot at a SB, he could take less money.

Would still offer him some more though.

In the last CBA there was a provision where tenured vets making the minimum count less than that number against the cap. The idea is to make it easier for teams to keep vets they might otherwise cut for other league minimum guys. I'm sure it's still in the new one, being that it seems to be very vet friendly overall. So Ellis gets paid $920K, but only counts @ $500K or so against the cap.

I would like to see what he could do as a rotation guy...keep everyone fresh, not bad.

Archived